DVR with multiple inputs - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
This thread, I gather, is all about saving money. A cable DVR is probably around $20/month. Not sure what used Tivo's are going for, but a new Roamio is $600 plus $500 for lifetime for a total of $1100. A DVD/HDD recorder is around $250. A cable card tuner is around $100, assuming you can use it in a computer you already have. So the payback period on Tivo is 4.5 years, DVD recorder 1 year and cable card HTPC 5 months. Even if you have to spend another $300 for a brand new PC, bang for your buck is by far the biggest with HTPC. Since I've never seen anything On Demand worth watching, it's no big loss for me. I just record whatever I want to watch or stream it online. Once you have a DVR, your need for On Demand will likely drop to zero as well.

If you're willing to consider a different service, like satellite, you can save even more, especially in the first 2 years, during which your DVR is essentially free. Switch providers every 2 years, and you can keep the savings going indefinitely.

BTW, like a 6 tuner Tivo, any 6 tuner cable card tuner can get 6 channels with a single card as Kelson said. Just buy a single device with the number of tuners you need rather than multiple devices with only a few tuners.

In my system, I have a 4 tuner device in my PC that serves all 5 TV's (and several other PC's, laptops, tablets and phones) in my home for a single $2/month cable card fee. That would cost me $40-$50 if I leased my DVRs and boxes from the cable company. Tivo lifetimes for that many boxes would cost a fortune, with a payback many years down the road. So I couldn't even entertain that option at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Not sure what used Tivo's are going for, but a new Roamio is $600 plus $500 for lifetime for a total of $1100.
I don't know where you are getting that $600 number from for a TiVo box but wherever it is, I wouldn't shop there.
A 4-tuner Roamio basic is $150.
Even the 6-tuner Roamio Pro is like $535 on Amazon.

I can see that you like cable card tuners and I don't have a problem with using a PC as a DVR -- I did it myself for a while until I bought a Roamio.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
took the plunge. bought a used Tivo 4 premeire with lifetime for $300. I really need the Comcast on-demand. plus, if I want to change sometime in the future, I can re-sell this dvr with the lifetime membership.

thanks for all the help. I understand most of it. wink.gif
post #34 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
You got a good deal on that Premiere 4 but understand that only about half of Comcast's footprint have the OnDemand app enabled for Tivos (they recently announced that they were going to add more areas after they took a break last year). If you're in the lucky half you'll get it otherwise you'll need to rent a separate box from them to get VOD.
post #35 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

You got a good deal on that Premiere 4 but understand that only about half of Comcast's footprint have the OnDemand app enabled for Tivos (they recently announced that they were going to add more areas after they took a break last year). If you're in the lucky half you'll get it otherwise you'll need to rent a separate box from them to get VOD.

it's good to go here.
post #36 of 37 Old 02-10-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I don't know where you are getting that $600 number from for a TiVo box but wherever it is, I wouldn't shop there.
A 4-tuner Roamio basic is $150.
Even the 6-tuner Roamio Pro is like $535 on Amazon.

I can see that you like cable card tuners and I don't have a problem with using a PC as a DVR -- I did it myself for a while until I bought a Roamio.
Moot point now, but here's where I got pricing: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/573

I'd dump my HTPC in a heartbeat if I good replace my 5 TV system with Tivos any cheaper, but I can't. Sounds like a great option for my parents though. I'll have to keep an eye out for a deal like Jim found. I had no idea they were so cheap now.
post #37 of 37 Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Used 4-tuner Premieres with lifetime are a very good deal on fleabay now, a lot of folks have upgraded to Roamio. But yeah with a 5 TV house you're going to end up way cheaper with an HTPC setup.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page