New Channel Master DVR+ vs. Used Tivos with Lifetime Service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of cutting the cord and going with OTA + Roku, but still want a similar TV/DVR experience to DirecTV (grid guide, pausing and rewinding live TV, and of course intuitive DVR funcitonality.)

I am comparing used Tivo options (Premiere and up with lifetime service) to the new Channel Master DVR+. Anyone have any thoughts on that, or experience with both? Pros and cons?

Not too concerned about on-board storage - presuming the Tivos can also be expanded by simply adding an external drive. I will be connecting direct to ethernet.

Recording 2 HD programs at once is a must (I think the CM does this) - it looks like not all the Tivo models do that?

Spending 700+ dollars for new Tivos with lifetime was of no interest to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally purchased the DVR+ to add to our bedroom. As it was shipping to me, I did more research. For the same price I found a Tivo Premiere with Lifetime for the same price.

We already have a Tivo Premiere in the living room (45 hours). I just got the $99 lifetime on that box (had it over 3 years). Now the two Premieres can act together for a four tuner system.

Why I didn't think to get a Tivo first is beyond me. DVR+ going back in the mail.

You should be able to get two Tivo Premiere with Lifetime for $600, and Tivo HD with Lifetime for under $500 for two. Better keep shopping for prices...$700 for two is insane.

As a comparison, the Premiere is better than the DVR+ in every way IMHO. Better user interface, way more viewing options (Netflix. hulu, amazon, youtube) and much better recording options. Anyone that currently has a Premiere would NEVER swap it for a DVR+ unless the sole reason was to save $ (assuming they are not eligible for $99 lifetime service). DVR+, though nice, is not even in the same league as Tivo Premiere.

Peter 100% OTA

Last edited by plamar; 08-15-2014 at 04:12 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
The only chance you take with the Premier is that the OTA tuners are not as good as the ones in the previous TiVo HD or the current Roamio. But if your reception area is such that it is not an issue, then yes a DVR+ is no match for a used Premier+lifetime for $300-350. At this point, I would not buy a used TiVo HD+lifetime, especially if you want to run multiple networked TiVo's and be able to readily watch shows recorded on the other unit. The network transfer rate of the Premier is much faster than the TiVo HD and faster than the bitrate of the recorded shows so you can watch a show on the other Premier within seconds of starting the transfer. With a TiVo HD you may have to wait 15-20 min for it to buffer sufficiently before you can watch it through to the end without pausing for additional buffering.

Where did you do your Premier shopping?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 08-15-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page