Reseach for cutting the cord - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys, I know this area is for test but could not find or decide where to start my topic for help and information. I basically want to cut the cord from my cable company and just use my internet connection for my TV viewing. Needs are DVR capability and possible channel selection close to my cable offerings. I currently subscribe to Netflix. Also looking to do this over a wireless network if possible and I have up to 5 TV's to deed this too. Any ideas would be great and what forum would I post this to as well? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 512
There are lots of threads with people asking exactly the same thing in the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming forum. Go there and read some threads to find out what you can and cannot achieve and what you will have to give up. You will find a lot of advice and answers from people who are not likely to repeat it all again.

Hint: if it were possible to ditch cable and get all the same channels over the Internet for free, the cable companies would already be out of business.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I love these threads - I don't want to pay for cable but I, um, want to get all that juicy content. rolleyes.gif
ncted likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I just want to point out I'm looking for positive feedback nut unrealistic comments. I don't mind paying, I just hate paying for stuff I don't need (75 music channels - who listens to these anyway). So far I've found good info on Simple TV and another version that's coming out (name slips my mind - Possible Telo TV or something like that) . With multiple TV's, exploring hooking each up to a Roku type device, Of note Amazon just came out with the Fire TV so more choices there. Yes I pay for Netflix which I get via either a smart TV or a Smart Blu Ray player. Most of my viewing comes down to less that 30 channels if I'm lucky but I don't see cable companies going al carte anytime soon so I have to see if its an option or note with doing a Home DVR / Roku type setup and I'm not worried about the initial outlay in equipment. With what I pay in a year I'm sure ROI will pay for itself in less than a few years. I like the idea of adding my own hard drive versus have an antiquated DVR with a 250 GB hard drive and constantly almost running out of space. Also some of the info I have had a hard time finding is pricing. Yes I know I pay so much for Netflix, I don't know anything about HuluPlus because they have a poor website explaining the payment plan. (Initial fee plus a channel fee -what is it? Do you have a per channel fee or do you have a 20 channel package?)

Anyone out there have a similar need? Also I read that some people using Tivo. Isn't cable required for Tivo?

Like I said, yes I'm reading the threads and making notes. So for those that have been doing so, thank you for educating me, for those that are here to rip me, don't bother because your probably here just yanking peoples chain and your input is probably useless or you don't know anything or think your gods gift to forums. Enough of the rant. If you have positive feedback great, if not move on.

post #5 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Ctrev21, this particular forum is great for researching over-the-air DVRs. And since many of us have this kind of DVR because we cut the cord, there are good stories about that as well.

I only cut the cord this past Sunday (had DIrecTv), but I had been preparing all calendar year for this move. I had an older HD set in my bedroom that didn't have an ATSC tuner for OTA channels, so I replaced it with a new one that did. I bought a Roku 3 for my main living room TV and a Chromecast for my new bedroom TV. I preordered a TabloTv DVR in January, and it finally came in this past Saturday.

There is a thread all about the Tablo, but I like it because it works with both of my upstairs TVs (via the Roku and Chromecast), as well as any computer/smartphones (via Chrome or Safari right now), iPads, and Android Tablets. It also allows me to view recordings and live tv away from home with certain restrictions (the main one being that the device must have connected to the home network at least once to be "paired").

The Tablo takes care of all the OTA content (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). For ESPN, I use ESPN3 on my computers and the WatchESPN app on the Roku. The main restriction is that you can't view live content without an account with one of the various providers, like Comcast. The workaround is to find a friend or family member willing to provide an email account for you. That allows me to see ESPN, Cartoon Network, and AMC streaming (and probably others).

I have had a Netflix streaming account for a long time, and I still use that a lot. With the Tablo, I don't see a need to use Hulu+. Hulu+ isn't a bad service, providing a lot of current content, but the commercials are annoying.

The biggest thing I am missing right now is my Braves games. I did subscribe to MLB.com gameday audio so I can listen to the games on pretty much any device, but I don't want to use a proxy server to bypass MLB.com video streaming of live Braves games. I am just going to watch the highlights online.

I hope this helps. There are people here that have been cable-free for years and have a lot more experience at it, but I just wanted to tell how I went about it.
ctrev21 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcat View Post

...... The Tablo takes care of all the OTA content (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc). For ESPN, I use ESPN3 on my computers and the WatchESPN app on the Roku. The main restriction is that you can't view live content without an account with one of the various providers, like Comcast. The workaround is to find a friend or family member willing to provide an email account for you. That allows me to see ESPN, Cartoon Network, and AMC streaming (and probably others) . . .

How is that different from running a coax from your neighbor's house to yours to get "free" cable?

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
post #7 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks SnowCat. This is the type of input I'm looking for. Yes that was the unit I was looking at, but possibly the 4 tuner model (just to cover my butt as my two tuner cable DVR runs into conflict now and again with schedules, I currently have charter and love their internet but hate the TV part. The HD and DVR service alone adds $20 a month plus $8 for each box ( I have three) When I start doing the math I know I can do better by cutting the cord as they say but first I need to do the research as you say. I have a good wireless router, Smart TV's and Smart Blu Ray Players so I'm set there. Right now I'm leaning on three Roku's 3 (one for each set plus a 4 tuner Tablo, once that is out). So price aside from the hardware purchase and EPG fee's, I'd say I DVR plenty of network stuff, but also like some of the cable offerings.

Love the idea of adding a 1 or 2 TB USB drive to the unit, which should hold plenty of content. Do you know if the USB drives have to be 3.5" or 2.5" drive sizes. What about Hulu Plus do you not like or like? Just wondering what the big differences are in comparison to Netflix.

Thanks again.

post #8 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The physical size of the hard drive doesn't matter. Currently there is an issue with some 2TB drives that have a 4K sector size instead of the normal 512 byte size, but I have used both physical drive sizes on my Tablo.

Netflix provides a lot of movies and TV shows, but the TV shows are at least one season behind. But there are no commercials. Hulu+ has current shows, but there is a commercial when you launch the show and several commercials during the show, and you can't skip them.

I also have the Amazon streaming service because I am an Amazon Prime customer, but I rarely watch anything on it. It is like Netflix, but it is more difficult to navigate, and the anime on it is in the incorrect aspect format most of the time.

If you are interested in the Roku 3, you may want to look at their new streaming stick. It is only $50 and it has the same software version as the Roku3.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know I'll have to compare and see what the differences are.

post #10 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrev21 View Post

I don't know anything about HuluPlus because they have a poor website explaining the payment plan. (Initial fee plus a channel fee -what is it? Do you have a per channel fee or do you have a 20 channel package?)

how is the sentence "Only $7.99 a month. Cancel anytime" on the main Hulu+ page (www.hulu.com/plus) difficult to discern? its not a poor site, it plainly says right there how much it is. There is even an easy to understand FAQ on that page that explains everything.
Quote:

Also I read that some people using Tivo. Isn't cable required for Tivo?

no, the base model tivo works with OTA.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #11 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

I see Areo1, maybe I was reading too much into it, wasn't sure if the one time fee included everything as it looked like I had to add channels which I assumed were an additional fee. I haven't looked at the Tivo side but it sounds like its almost the same thing but are locked in by hard drive size and you have the option to add a cable card in the future if you like.

post #12 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I see Areo1, maybe I was reading too much into it, wasn't sure if the one time fee included everything as it looked like I had to add channels which I assumed were an additional fee. I haven't looked at the Tivo side but it sounds like its almost the same thing but are locked in by hard drive size and you have the option to add a cable card in the future if you like.

with the new roamio, you can add a 3 tb drive and it will rebuild itself, plenty of space. keep in mind that you cant swap drives because it will format the drive at install. With tivo you can download recordings to your pc for archival and space management.

i cut the cord over 3 years ago when it was just my wife and i. now we have two kids and they have no idea what cable is and get everything this way:

OTA with 3 tivos in the house and various TV's with their internal tuner.
Rokus on each tv for Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, MLB, ESPN, HBO, Plex, etc, etc
I use my fathers credentials for all the cable services that need authentication.
I use a service to bypass local sports blackouts.
I also use "other" means for "I must watch now" stuff.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #13 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, i get hulu+ for free using Bing rewards, a search bot, and 1 minute out of my day. ill pm you the method if you are interested.

post #14 of 14 Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Sure, always interested I checking out new things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page