• 1 Post By Harry Kerry
  • 1 Post By Marc Wielage

post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need multi-room-multi tuner OTA box

Hi guys... help me figure this out... I've done some searching here and on the net and I'm starting to see this:

Back in 1999 (that's 15 years ago...a million in tech years) I bought a Tivo for something like 400 bucks including the lifetime sub... I could have two tuners, and record TV off the air.

I can still do that, but it will cost much more...granted...15 years have passed. So if I only had one TV... I would most likely get a Tivo Romeo for whatever it costs (600 or 700 with lifetime I think) and be done.

Problem is... 15 years ago I had an apartment and no kids so now I have a house and two kids and a mother-in-law that HAS to watch her soap operas time shifted so I now have 4 TVs all over the house.

But then again... 15 years have passed right? I come to find out that the only way to equip all 4 TV sets with an easy to use DVR (one that I can just buy and lug in) even for just off the air stuff is to spend a ridiculous amount of money either in one-time hardware purchases or in crazy monthly fees plus ridiculous hardware costs!

Here's what doesn't exist... a six tuner DVR for OTA that is controllable from 3 other TV sets without a monthly fee! (I guess they are only monitors at this point). Someone please tell me I'm wrong!!!

It makes me angry...a little. But ranting is unproductive. Maybe I don't know what to search for? I'm willing to invest time and money into building something but the end result needs to be kid and old people friendly.

I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here...I've been out of the loop for many years.
videobruce likes this.

Truck? What truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2014, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Never mind... It looks like the Channel Master DVR may be a viable solution even if there has to be 4 of them. It's less than the cost of a year of DirecTV.

Truck? What truck?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ceton sells a 6 tuner box that uses a cable card(s) that you plug into your network.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2014, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Or two TiVo Roamio's with LT with necessary Mini's or Streams. That provides you with 8 tuners. That really is the best LONG TERM pricing for a real whole home solution that DVR+ just can't provide, unless you use the lower priced Sling M1, but the M1 is said NOT to support connected devices, so forget about seeing what is Slinged on another TV in the house with ease (possible Chromcast from your phone). However, the real obstetical is needing a box to just plug in as you stated. The real advancements are in the home mobile arena, as you may know, that is far more economical service far more points in the house and not necessarily just TV set. I know quite a few folk who could save some SERIOUS cash if they were comfortable with the new mobile solutions that use, say, a Roku app for viewing, etc. But they can only "cope" with a box they can plug in and connect to the TV. Sadly limiting. There just isn't real money to made with the box that plugs into your TV. TiVo and CM DVR+ are the only serious options. RIP Sezmi, which was a GREAT affordable option that was cursed with a LOUSY business model. RIP Moxi for retail (still living as MSO equipment), and mega RIP to those old Sony HDD OTA models that are sorely missed today (we can't count those still being used without a proper clock and guide info, etc.--it's practicably dead). This is why the new devices are all about Ethernet and WiFi and mobile devices; cheaper to make and purchase, too. Sorry. I feel you pain.
hubcityraider likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-20-2014, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyE View Post
Never mind... It looks like the Channel Master DVR may be a viable solution even if there has to be 4 of them. It's less than the cost of a year of DirecTV.
The DirecTV Genie system is so good, I honestly think it's worth the trouble and expense. Having multiple tuners and the ability to watch different things in different rooms is a heckuva good feature, and you can generally knock down the package prices to something reasonably affordable.

I have to say, though, I wish our lawmakers would get together and force all the cable and satellite companies to provide total ala carte programming. If I could get away with it, I'd love to only pay for the 20+ channels we really watch in my house, as opposed to the 280+ crap channels we're forced to pay for. If I could eliminate all the religious channels, foreign-language channels, home shopping channels, and reality TV channels, a lot of what's left is reasonably good.

I do notice some sloppy delay in the system commands from the remote wired Genie receivers in other rooms. I probably should comment on this in the separate DirecTV thread, but given what the system has to do, it's not terrible.
videobruce likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Please keep topic titles specific. See my edit.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page