AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   Recording / Editing Suggestions Needed (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1576833-recording-editing-suggestions-needed.html)

NebraskaMike 06-23-2014 10:23 AM

Recording / Editing Suggestions Needed

At my job, I need to record 6 news-casts at the same time (and edit them down to the relevant news stories). Tivo would be easy, but we're under Time-Warner Cable's clutches, and so their DRM flag prevents CNN, FoxNews, etc from transferring to my PC for editing.
I was thinking about Hauppauge products to use the analog hole in the DRM to do this, but it seems I would need six cable boxes to record all 6 channels.
Since any tuner on an HDTV can tune-in CNN and other basic cable channels, I'm wondering if there is cheap coaxial input and component-cable output tuners, and I could buy those for use with 6 Hauppauge HD-DVRs?
Or perhaps I'm looking at this problem all wrong. I would love any suggestions or ideas on how to do this.
So, basically solve this: 6 basic-cable shows recorded to a format I can edit. Your time begins....now!

WS65711 06-23-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NebraskaMike (Post 25193273)
At my job, I need to record 6 news-casts at the same time (and edit them down to the relevant news stories). Tivo would be easy, but we're under Time-Warner Cable's clutches, and so their DRM flag prevents CNN, FoxNews, etc from transferring to my PC for editing.
I was thinking about Hauppauge products to use the analog hole in the DRM to do this, but it seems I would need six cable boxes to record all 6 channels.
Since any tuner on an HDTV can tune-in CNN and other basic cable channels, I'm wondering if there is cheap coaxial input and component-cable output tuners, and I could buy those for use with 6 Hauppauge HD-DVRs?
Or perhaps I'm looking at this problem all wrong. I would love any suggestions or ideas on how to do this.
So, basically solve this: 6 basic-cable shows recorded to a format I can edit. Your time begins....now!

Just a thought... Record all 6 broadcasts at the same time on a 6-tuner TiVo, then transfer (in real-time) only the stories you need to a Hauppauge recorder. If the 6-tuner TiVo has component outs (not sure that Roamio does) then the encryption should go bye-bye in the process . . .

Kelson 06-23-2014 11:47 AM

5 & 6-tuner Roamio has component out jacks on the back.

NebraskaMike 06-23-2014 11:49 AM

This is a good idea. I think this is what I'm going to do.
Thank you very much for the suggestion, guys!