• 1 Post By WS65711
  • 1 Post By Kelson

post #1 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recording / Editing Suggestions Needed

At my job, I need to record 6 news-casts at the same time (and edit them down to the relevant news stories). Tivo would be easy, but we're under Time-Warner Cable's clutches, and so their DRM flag prevents CNN, FoxNews, etc from transferring to my PC for editing.
I was thinking about Hauppauge products to use the analog hole in the DRM to do this, but it seems I would need six cable boxes to record all 6 channels.
Since any tuner on an HDTV can tune-in CNN and other basic cable channels, I'm wondering if there is cheap coaxial input and component-cable output tuners, and I could buy those for use with 6 Hauppauge HD-DVRs?
Or perhaps I'm looking at this problem all wrong. I would love any suggestions or ideas on how to do this.
So, basically solve this: 6 basic-cable shows recorded to a format I can edit. Your time begins....now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaMike View Post
At my job, I need to record 6 news-casts at the same time (and edit them down to the relevant news stories). Tivo would be easy, but we're under Time-Warner Cable's clutches, and so their DRM flag prevents CNN, FoxNews, etc from transferring to my PC for editing.
I was thinking about Hauppauge products to use the analog hole in the DRM to do this, but it seems I would need six cable boxes to record all 6 channels.
Since any tuner on an HDTV can tune-in CNN and other basic cable channels, I'm wondering if there is cheap coaxial input and component-cable output tuners, and I could buy those for use with 6 Hauppauge HD-DVRs?
Or perhaps I'm looking at this problem all wrong. I would love any suggestions or ideas on how to do this.
So, basically solve this: 6 basic-cable shows recorded to a format I can edit. Your time begins....now!
Just a thought... Record all 6 broadcasts at the same time on a 6-tuner TiVo, then transfer (in real-time) only the stories you need to a Hauppauge recorder. If the 6-tuner TiVo has component outs (not sure that Roamio does) then the encryption should go bye-bye in the process . . .
NebraskaMike likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
5 & 6-tuner Roamio has component out jacks on the back.
NebraskaMike likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a good idea. I think this is what I'm going to do.
Thank you very much for the suggestion, guys!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page