Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 84 Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
The Mag 515, 53x Series and 557 can pre-title programs via an option in the Timer Programming menu, as described here.

The Mag 2160A and 513 can also pre-title if you update the FW to SuperFW 727V, as described here.
Probably good that you clarified my post. Yes, you can pre-title recordings, and they will use that name on all future recordings if set to record daily/weekly, etc., and you can name/rename new/existing recordings manually, at least on my 533.

I just meant that the default on a new recording is the date, etc., and with no real guide, it doesn't automatically name the recordings with the name of the show. Not too big a deal. But a bit of a hassle nonetheless. The Hauppauge tuner in my PC, (using WINTV and TitanTV, not sure about WMC) names the programs with the program title and date, by default, with no further input from the user. Click click and done.

Now, the iView and Homeworx are worse, they give no option (AFAIK) to name new recordings with the program name. I just unplug the drive and plug it into my PC and do a batch rename using Renamer, (rename.exe, 310KB), a free program written by J.M. Falcao. It's a 2002 program that works in Win7. I'm sure there are other programs that do this as well. But the nice thing about these DVRs is that the file system is NTFS, and you can offload the files and archive if desired. I don't think anyone has cracked the Mag file system yet, have they? Cause mine is getting full, and I would like to offload them. I know I could probably jump thru some hoops and maybe clone the drive, but I don't want to go thru all that.

Edit: Just found latest Rename here: http://www.1-4a.com/rename/help/setnoc.htm Haven't tried new version yet. The old one was somewhat basic, but did the job. It is a standalone program, no install needed.

I'm not affiliated with Rename.

Last edited by chazdole; 06-30-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That would work great if you both watch the exact same thing all the time. May as well move in together.
I don't think you have to watch the same thing when using Sling. I have a sling with Dish and I can watch a channel on sling and another on a TV and my daughter can watch another on her TV. But it is the Sling Adapter for Dish and not a stand alone Sling. Also you can watch a recorded program and control the DVR.

Last edited by remmeler; 06-30-2014 at 01:07 PM. Reason: further explanation
post #63 of 84 Old 06-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Liked: 10
Aereo Replacement for your needs

New Price Only $250.00 For Everything You Need for Over The Air Reception in Three Rooms

One ClearStream Model C2-V-CJM Antenna
-
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direct-C2-V-CJM-ClearStream-Outdoor/dp/B007RH5GZI

One ePvision PHD-VRX Dual Tuner with Two Remotes - http://www.epvision.com/HDTVSTB/phdvrxmain.htm

Two Each iView 3500STB with Remote - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882037001

Call or Text Five.One.Two.259.1775 or Frank@EFrankWade.com
post #64 of 84 Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmeler View Post
I don't think you have to watch the same thing when using Sling. I have a sling with Dish and I can watch a channel on sling and another on a TV and my daughter can watch another on her TV. But it is the Sling Adapter for Dish and not a stand alone Sling. Also you can watch a recorded program and control the DVR.
A regular slingbox mirrors what you're watching and takes over control. Dish with sling is different because the sling can access a second tuner in the background and access recordings independently, as you already know. If you didn't have Dish, but you had a second box dedicated to just a slingbox connection, that would work too. I used to do that myself years ago, before there were better options. I also used Dish with sling for a few years. It worked ok, but PQ was always mediocre, and it didn't work directly on another TV. You had to playback on a PC or phone/tablet or something like that.

Some PC based sling-like solutions I've used are Remote Potato, MB3 and just a simple VPN server. All work pretty well. But that's jumping through a lot of hoops to replace recording OTA. You can do that with a $40 iView.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65 of 84 Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi folks,

Like many I had hoped Aereo would get the OK and be available in my area soon. But that's not to be.

So, I am looking at a CM DVR+. I don't know a lot about these things. But, I have attached a flat antenna to my TV and it picks up many stations with startling clarity. It looks great! Far better than my friend's cable TV image. :-)

I have a few questions about the DVR+:

Can it set a timer on it to record a program like I used to do with my old VCR - that is, Record channel 4 for 60 minutes on April 2??? I don't want to be dependent on some subscription service that might fold in a year or two.

Do I have to use a CM hard drive on it to store my recordings, or can I use an old USB drive I have?

Can I play a recording back through my Roku with the wifi accessory?

Thanks for hour help.
post #66 of 84 Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbphoto View Post
I have a few questions about the DVR+:

Can it set a timer on it to record a program like I used to do with my old VCR - that is, Record channel 4 for 60 minutes on April 2??? I don't want to be dependent on some subscription service that might fold in a year or two.

Do I have to use a CM hard drive on it to store my recordings, or can I use an old USB drive I have?

Can I play a recording back through my Roku with the wifi accessory?

Thanks for hour help.
You are better off asking these questions in the thread dedicated to the DVR+.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #67 of 84 Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 AM

Thanks. I took your advice.
post #68 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Yes it is the same. And it becomes an issue when you attempt to profit from the arrangement.. which is basically selling access to copyrighted programming material to others.
How do you villify selling access to someone who already has free access to said content?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables:

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #69 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
How do you villify selling access to someone who already has free access to said content?
Anybody can go to the public library and get books, music, BDs and DVDs too. But when they make their own copies and sell them, that's wrong, illegal and worthy of vilification IMO.

I do think it's unethical to sell things that are free or belong to someone else. But Aereo is adding value with its cloud DVR and providing a signal in places where you couldn't get it otherwise. I have no problem with that part. The problem lies in profiting from content they don't pay for.

post #70 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Anybody can go to the public library and get books, music, BDs and DVDs too. But when they make their own copies and sell them, that's wrong, illegal and worthy of vilification IMO.

I do think it's unethical to sell things that are free or belong to someone else. But Aereo is adding value with its cloud DVR and providing a signal in places where you couldn't get it otherwise. I have no problem with that part. The problem lies in profiting from content they don't pay for.
This is one of the reasons analogis are so hard to draw on this subject, is because it's different from almost every other similar situation in a significant way...

For the library analogy it's significantly different in that you are not selling a copy of the book, you are selling storage for a recording of the book. As you know, most libraries lend ebooks these days. So the service Aero is providing is about equivalent to something like idrive or box.net where they would store the content you have legitimate right to access and serve it up to you at your convenience. If that could be done feasibly (and if there was any need for it) while protecting the rules of access the library sets up (which Aereo does by only serving sbuscribers in the area that get the signal for free -which is equivalent to only storing ebooks for people who have library cards) then I don't think it meets any of the requirements to be wrongful...

The idea of copying always being bad is very much based on the physical world where copies represent the item itself - in the digital world numerous copies of everything are made everywhere en route - every video on youtube/netflix every song on spotify or pandora is duplicated on servers countless times on it's way to the end user. These difference between those and physical copies being that these copies can be controlled so that they do not provide access to anyone but the person who was approved access to begin with.

That's the difference with the book analogy - you copy books and resell them, you break the level of control of where that content goes.

With Aereo you are more like a driver for someone who works the hours the library is open - so you just check out the book on their behalf, deliver it to them at their convenience and return the book when they are done (since Aereo keeps one copy of each show per user and obviously eventually destroys that copy it's the same idea).

In this case you could legitimately charge for your time to drive and gas for your car without actually charging for the content.

It's charging for a service that revolves around content delivery, not charging for duplicating content...

post #71 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
This is one of the reasons analogis are so hard to draw on this subject, is because it's different from almost every other similar situation in a significant way...

For the library analogy it's significantly different in that you are not selling a copy of the book, you are selling storage for a recording of the book. As you know, most libraries lend ebooks these days. So the service Aero is providing is about equivalent to something like idrive or box.net where they would store the content you have legitimate right to access and serve it up to you at your convenience. If that could be done feasibly (and if there was any need for it) while protecting the rules of access the library sets up (which Aereo does by only serving sbuscribers in the area that get the signal for free -which is equivalent to only storing ebooks for people who have library cards) then I don't think it meets any of the requirements to be wrongful...

The idea of copying always being bad is very much based on the physical world where copies represent the item itself - in the digital world numerous copies of everything are made everywhere en route - every video on youtube/netflix every song on spotify or pandora is duplicated on servers countless times on it's way to the end user. These difference between those and physical copies being that these copies can be controlled so that they do not provide access to anyone but the person who was approved access to begin with.

That's the difference with the book analogy - you copy books and resell them, you break the level of control of where that content goes.

With Aereo you are more like a driver for someone who works the hours the library is open - so you just check out the book on their behalf, deliver it to them at their convenience and return the book when they are done (since Aereo keeps one copy of each show per user and obviously eventually destroys that copy it's the same idea).

In this case you could legitimately charge for your time to drive and gas for your car without actually charging for the content.

It's charging for a service that revolves around content delivery, not charging for duplicating content...
Your arguments have already been shot down by the United States Supreme Court. Rambling on about it here is not going to change anything . . .
Kelson likes this.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider

normal on a two month old set..
post #72 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Your arguments have already been shot down by the United States Supreme Court. Rambling on about it here is not going to change anything . . .
SCOTUS doesn't always make laws because they are right, they are just right because they are the law.

post #73 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
SCOTUS doesn't always make laws because they are right, they are just right because they are the law.
SCOTUS doesn't make laws. That power belongs to the Congress. SCOTUS interprets the law and rules on disputes.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #74 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Some would argue that judicial activism is akin to making laws, but I haven't read any accusations that the Aereo decision is being viewed as an example of the justices legislating from the bench.
post #75 of 84 Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 PM

The real issue driving this is, IMHO, the lack of genuine competition in the TV and Internet marketplace. I am lucky in that I have two good choices for internet and TV - the cable company and Fios. I also can get free OTA TV. But, real competition requires at least three competitors. Most people I know have cable and maybe slow internet from the phone company. If we had real competitors bidding for our TV business this argument would be over.

Aereo offered many people at least a second choice for some of their TV watching. That would have helped a bit, but what we really need is good old fashioned free enterprise competition on a level playing field.
post #76 of 84 Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
https://www.antennasdirect.com/07-02...customers.html

Antennas Direct Giving Away Free Antennas to Aereo Subscribers

Quote:
July 2014: St. Louis – Aereo shut their doors this weekend, leaving some angry customers unable to watch broadcast television. Antennas Direct is giving away 1000 free antennas to former Aereo subscribers as a solution to their signal loss.

To receive a free antenna, customers must upload their last Aereo billing statement and pay $10 for shipping. They will receive the Antennas Direct ClearStream 2 Complete antenna (50+ mile range), 30 feet of coaxial cable and 20” J-Mount (MSRP $129.99).

“The Aereo Supreme Court case helps illustrate what we have said all along: local digital TV is free, offers more local channels and has a better picture quality than pay TV,” said Richard Schneider, president of Antennas Direct. “All that’s required is a simple, easy to connect antenna.”

Offer is good through July 6th or while supplies last. Be sure to submit an Aereo receipt to receive a free antenna.

For more information or to enter, visit the Antennas Direct website www.antennasdirect.com/aereo.
freetvEE likes this.
post #77 of 84 Old 07-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
I've been using an OTA antenna, Windows media center, and a Hauppauge dual tuner card for almost 2 years. We cut the cord and I ended up paying for PlayOn software and I have a Netflix account. All my OTA that i want to watch is available to all the TVs live and I set my recording the OTA channels through Windows media center. If you have an xbox on your network, you can do it from the XBox MCE interface as well.

If you have more than 1 TV then I recommend a powered amp after the antenna (I swear by electroline), and just buy used XBoxes or Roku's but WDTV, Cirago, and a host of other devices will work (UPnP & DLNA compatible devices).

I have more TV and movies to watch now than before I cut the cord. The only hurdle for us was my daughters missing out on live Disney Channel programming. But once I got a bunch of internet Nick, Nick Jr, Disney, Toon, etc shows recorded via Playon, I have 8 TBs of NAS disks filled with MONTHS of viewing.
post #78 of 84 Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM

Liked: 0
But for those with no signal...

I am in the small minority that utterly lack OTA signal. I live in a forested gully with a major hill between me and my communities only OTA broadcast antennae farm. There is no OTA signal (even in the analog days there was no signal). No cable TV exists here, either. Satellite reception is impossible due to the trees. All I have is 10Mbs/512Kbs DSL.

I want local channels. Aereo was for me a way to get local channels. No more.

I think my only hope post-Aereo is to put an OTA antenna, tuners, and DVR in my office where OTA signal exists and pipe that signal over the Internet to my home. Alas I cannot find a user friendly solution that my mother and wife can use on a living room television (tablets or laptops are too difficult for their use).

So far a Tablo in my office using Tablo Connect over the Internet to reach a Roku 3 attached to a TV in my home seems to be the closest fit but I would love to have another option. I fear the newness of Tablo and the complexity of Roku with Tablo Connect may be too much for my non-techie family.

John
post #79 of 84 Old 07-15-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

Antennas Direct Giving Away Free Antennas to Aereo Subscribers
Bummer...wish I had seen this. I could have used the free J Mount for my GF's antenna.
post #80 of 84 Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 PM

I have been using the device below. The interface is a bit Klugey, IMHO. The manual leaves a lot to be desired, and you have to provide your own USB storage. But for $38 it works. I can record shows for future viewing. And, I can record as I am watching using the reverse and pause keys as needed.

Note: HW150PVR is for Over the Air Channels. This box does not replace your cable set top box. It will not work with Analog or digital Cable channels
post #81 of 84 Old 08-19-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It works with unencrypted cable channels (if you use the appropriate firmware) but not with encrypted ones.
post #82 of 84 Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM

What about the new TiVo antenna only box ??
post #83 of 84 Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

What about it? It's aimed at people who want to use an antenna, which right there makes it a poor replacement for Aereo, as the whole point of Aereo was to deliver OTA TV over the Internet for people in poor reception areas. If you were in an area capable of getting strong signals, you could have just used an antenna in the first place and avoided Aereo. If you get poor reception, the OTA TiVo is useless to you, and it's also more expensive on a monthly basis than Aereo was.
post #84 of 84 Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM

Well with no Aereo some people will be giving antennas another look.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
aereo , dvr , mag 2160a , Ota
Gear in this thread - 2160a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page