AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   Aereo replacement - inexpensive OTA DVR (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1581977-aereo-replacement-inexpensive-ota-dvr.html)

dervari 06-27-2014 05:45 AM

Aereo replacement - inexpensive OTA DVR
 
With the pending demise of Aereo after the SCOTUS decision, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get my GF set up for DVRing. She had still been on a VCR with rabbit ears and an OTA box when we met, and I got her a Roku and Aereo subscription for Christmas. She absolutely LOVES Aereo over the old VCR solution, but since it's going away I want to get her set up with an OTA antenna (which I have) and DVR. She's not a big videophile and would only need a two tuner unit. Don't want to spend much so I'm looking for suggestions on older Tivo units that I could find on eBay that would fit the bill. Any help is appreciated.

eric102 06-27-2014 07:49 AM

The 2 tuner series 4 Tivo Premiers (which do OTA) with a lifetime subscription typically sell for $300 +/- on Ebay. I just sold 2 of them for $320 and $340 within a few days of listing. I don't know anything about the series 3 but would assume they would sell for less since they are older and would have more hours on them.

SMHarman 06-27-2014 07:56 AM

And adding a TiVo stream to the premiere will get the watch anywhere part of aerio back.

In fact I don't understand the scotus ruling when the above hardware is legal!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

mdavej 06-27-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 25307401)
And adding a TiVo stream to the premiere will get the watch anywhere part of aerio back.

In fact I don't understand the scotus ruling when the above hardware is legal!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

When you use watch anywhere, do you share it with everybody and charge them for it, or is it for your own personal use?

For the OP's GF, wouldn't a $40 iView work pretty well, or an HD Homerun on a PC?

Kelson 06-27-2014 08:42 AM

Channel Master is running an "Aero is Dead" special on their DVR+, antenna, WiFi adapter bundle. See here.

The DVR+ is a mid-range OTA DVR with a mid-range feature set and a mid-range price. Personally I use TiVo, but if you are looking for cheaper and are willing to compromise in features look at the DVR+.

Drlink 06-27-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dervari (Post 25304521)
With the pending demise of Aereo after the SCOTUS decision, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get my GF set up for DVRing. She had still been on a VCR with rabbit ears and an OTA box when we met, and I got her a Roku and Aereo subscription for Christmas. She absolutely LOVES Aereo over the old VCR solution, but since it's going away I want to get her set up with an OTA antenna (which I have) and DVR. She's not a big videophile and would only need a two tuner unit. Don't want to spend much so I'm looking for suggestions on older Tivo units that I could find on eBay that would fit the bill. Any help is appreciated.

Perhaps this can help you?

http://www.cnet.com/news/aereo-alter...e-air-roundup/

SMHarman 06-27-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdavej (Post 25308745)
When you use watch anywhere, do you share it with everybody and charge them for it, or is it for your own personal use?

For the OP's GF, wouldn't a $40 iView work pretty well, or an HD Homerun on a PC?

Here is the thing. There is no sharing according to their claims of design.

So I buy an antenna, TiVo ans stream. I'm out say $500. I then also am say spending $1 a month on electricity.

Or I set up a company TiVo stream Inc.
For $12 Each subscriber at my data ctr gets a aerial, a TiVo and a stream. My costs are the hardware and electricity and data connection.

Isn't it the same? The end useris pay as you go with no upfront cost but over time is paying those costs.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

WS65711 06-27-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 25313681)
Isn't it the same? The end useris pay as you go with no upfront cost but over time is paying those costs.

Yes it is the same. And it becomes an issue when you attempt to profit from the arrangement.. which is basically selling access to copyrighted programming material to others.

SMHarman 06-27-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drlink (Post 25309817)

Did my math nicely.
Roaming 170
Sub 15 for month 1 then 399 for lifetime.
Stream 129
Resell TiVo with lifetime (300)
Total. 413
Over 36 months $11.47. Same as aereo.



Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

wajo 06-27-2014 12:08 PM

Interesting.

Sent from my Dell using Firefox.

snowcat 06-27-2014 12:20 PM

The Tablo is also great for this, and they now have both a 2-tuner and 4-tuner box available. There is a whole thread dedicated to it in this forum.

dervari 06-27-2014 12:43 PM

I wonder if they have a deal on the DVR+ alone. I have an WiFi adapter in my desk drawer, and she really need a unidirectional antenna since all of the broadcasts she is interested in are in Atlanta, within 20 degrees of each other. I have a CM dual bowtie I was going to give her.

mdavej 06-27-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 25314313)
Did my math nicely.
Roaming 170
Sub 15 for month 1 then 399 for lifetime.
Stream 129
Resell TiVo with lifetime (300)
Total. 413
Over 36 months $11.47. Same as aereo.



Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

What if your Tivo goes kaput at the end of 36 months?

PC is still the best option IMO. Tuner is only $100, and you already own most of the other hardware you need. I've done it for years and saved thousands. Plus, I can add more rooms for just $100 each (I'm up to 5). Resale value is probably at least %60 on tuners and extenders.

Good luck convincing the supreme court that re-broadcasting and selling it is not a copyright violation. Aereo's lawyers couldn't pull that off either.

jjeff 06-27-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dervari (Post 25315681)
I wonder if they have a deal on the DVR+ alone. I have an WiFi adapter in my desk drawer, and she really need a unidirectional antenna since all of the broadcasts she is interested in are in Atlanta, within 20 degrees of each other. I have a CM dual bowtie I was going to give her.

AFAIK the DVR+ like the old Tivos require a specific WiFi adapter, it doesn't have drivers built in for off the shelf WiFi adapters.

SxDx 06-27-2014 03:01 PM

They are not dead if they agree to pay a carriage fee.

litzdog911 06-27-2014 03:44 PM

I have one of these and it works great to record my local off air channels and let me view them via the internet anywhere ...

http://www.simple.tv

Dave Harper 06-27-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litzdog911 (Post 25320313)
I have one of these and it works great to record my local off air channels and let me view them via the internet anywhere ...

http://www.simple.tv

The 2 tuner version and other silicon dust tuners are on sale at Woot too:

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/simple-tv-the-ultimate-dvr-17?ref=ref%3Dcnt_wp_0_0

I have a version one Simple.tv for sale if anyone's interested?

The Tablo sounds like a better option to me tho.

dervari 06-27-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjeff (Post 25318473)
AFAIK the DVR+ like the old Tivos require a specific WiFi adapter, it doesn't have drivers built in for off the shelf WiFi adapters.

Being in IT, I have access to all sort of miscellaneous crap. I have an Ethernet to wireless bridge that will work on anything that has hard wired Ethernet.

dervari 06-27-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SxDx (Post 25319537)
They are not dead if they agree to pay a carriage fee.

They have stated they have no intention of doing so. Even if they did it would most likely price them above the subscription fee of a commercial dvr.

dervari 06-27-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdavej (Post 25316345)
What if your Tivo goes kaput at the end of 36 months?

PC is still the best option IMO. Tuner is only $100, and you already own most of the other hardware you need. I've done it for years and saved thousands. Plus, I can add more rooms for just $100 each (I'm up to 5). Resale value is probably at least %60 on tuners and extenders.

Good luck convincing the supreme court that re-broadcasting and selling it is not a copyright violation. Aereo's lawyers couldn't pull that off either.

Unfortunately the gf would not go for a pc in the living room or behind her tv.

Also, a hard remote is a necessity for her.

dervari 06-27-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litzdog911 (Post 25320313)
I have one of these and it works great to record my local off air channels and let me view them via the internet anywhere ...

http://www.simple.tv

Does this require a smartphone to control it? She only has a semi smart phone and has no desire to upgrade. A hard remote is a must.

SMHarman 06-27-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdavej (Post 25316345)
What if your Tivo goes kaput at the end of 36 months?

PC is still the best option IMO. Tuner is only $100, and you already own most of the other hardware you need. I've done it for years and saved thousands. Plus, I can add more rooms for just $100 each (I'm up to 5). Resale value is probably at least %60 on tuners and extenders.

Good luck convincing the supreme court that re-broadcasting and selling it is not a copyright violation. Aereo's lawyers couldn't pull that off either.

Much the same as if your pc goes kaput. I'll also have likely saved another $300 in electricity bills over the pc on 24/7.

My 200 TiVo plus 400 subscription reveals for about 300 so erm about 50% close to 60% eh?

You can be a Debbie downer on the TiVo option but for plug and play install. Ease of use. Girlfriend acceptance factor it is a winner.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

SMHarman 06-27-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjeff (Post 25318473)
AFAIK the DVR+ like the old Tivos require a specific WiFi adapter, it doesn't have drivers built in for off the shelf WiFi adapters.

It does but if you are using cable broadband you can put the modem by the tv.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

RichardU 06-27-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WS65711 (Post 25314017)
Yes it is the same. And it becomes an issue when you attempt to profit from the arrangement.. which is basically selling access to copyrighted programming material to others.

So let's say I have an OTA DVR. Perfectly legal. And my friend lives on a hill, so I ask if I can move it to his house and access it through his internet connection. Still legal, even if I offer to pay him for the electricity. But let's say I didn't have the money to buy the DVR up front, so he buys it for me and I also lease that from him. Still legal, even if he makes some money from it. That's what Aereo was and they were within the letter of the law. The problem is, a lot of people didn't like the end result, so the Supreme Court did what they have often done, which is ignore the law to achieve a desired result.

SMHarman 06-27-2014 09:56 PM

Well yes he is not transmitting. Only you have access to your private stream.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

litzdog911 06-27-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dervari (Post 25323281)
Does this require a smartphone to control it? She only has a semi smart phone and has no desire to upgrade. A hard remote is a must.

You control the Simple TV DVR from any internet-connected PC, smartphone, or tablet.

jjeff 06-28-2014 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dervari (Post 25323025)
Being in IT, I have access to all sort of miscellaneous crap. I have an Ethernet to wireless bridge that will work on anything that has hard wired Ethernet.

Yes that would work and would be a good option to (IMO) CMs overpriced WiFi adapter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 25325745)
It does but if you are using cable broadband you can put the modem by the tv.

Again a good alternative to the WiFi adapter.

Davidt1 06-28-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdavej (Post 25316345)
What if your Tivo goes kaput at the end of 36 months?

PC is still the best option IMO. Tuner is only $100, and you already own most of the other hardware you need. I've done it for years and saved thousands. Plus, I can add more rooms for just $100 each (I'm up to 5). Resale value is probably at least %60 on tuners and extenders.

Good luck convincing the supreme court that re-broadcasting and selling it is not a copyright violation. Aereo's lawyers couldn't pull that off either.

+1 on the PC option.

The term PC, unfortunately, means a giant desktop computer to most people. But you don't have to use a desktop computer as a HTPC.

I have been using a laptop with an HDhomerun dual tuner for a few years now. Six years ago I started out with a traditional DVR which still works fine, but I find the laptop option more flexible and convenient. It doesn't cost that much if you buy everything on sale.

1. The laptop cost me $350, but I already had it.

2. The HDhomerun tuner was $80 on sale.

3. Flat indoor antenna was bought refurbished for $20.

4. Logitech K400 keyboard was on sale for $15. It is used as a remote control as well as a keyboard.

I get for a lot for my money with this setup.

The laptop isn't just another dumb DVR that can only do one thing. It's a computer with the DVR function as an added bonus.

Leaving it on 24/7 cost me $21 a year in electricity.

It's portable. I have taken it everywhere I go.

Just like my traditional DVR, it doesn't require internet to record shows. While the HDHomerun dual tuner can record shows using an internet connection, it can also record directly to the PC via the Ethernet cable without an internet connection.

Having used both a traditional DVR and a laptop DVR, I can say that I prefer the laptop DVR for its flexibility, mobility, and convenience.

Gary.ds 06-28-2014 10:32 AM

I have to admit that I have not kept up with this market over the past few years. I have 2 HDHomerun, 2 tuner devices and use Win8.1 Media Center to record. What I would like is a relatively inexpensive device (<$100) that would play back the Media Center recordings (via Shared folder) on other TVs in other rooms. Is there anything out there that will do that (for Win 8.1 WMC files)?


Thanks
Gary

southleft 06-28-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litzdog911 (Post 25320313)
I have one of these and it works great to record my local off air channels and let me view them via the internet anywhere ...

http://www.simple.tv

HD Homerun from SiliconDust is worth a look. It's for over-the-air broadcasts and it connects to your home router, and from the router it's available to every computer in the house, both wired and wireless. You use Windows Media Center, XBMC, or other media center type program to view the channel guide, watch live TV, and record upcoming TV programs. It has 2 digital tuners so you can record/watch 2 different shows at the same time.
We have the HD Homerun Prime which is the version for cable TV. It has worked glitch-free for about 2 years.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.