post #31 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB1966 View Post
Unfortunately, that is what we do first upon firing-up the TV - scan all available channels to see what's on currently, or soon to be airing, to make sure we are not missing anything we might want to watch (or record)...
Do you currently use a DVR? I gave up the guide in 2000. Once you setup series recordings outside of selecting a sporting event or so there is no reason to access it. Any recording trumps live as you can skip commercials and anything currently on you want to view is already being recorded. I record 6 channels... how much hopping can I do. My guide is more like this... I admit it takes a while to let the DVR drive TV in lieu of yourself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Unfortunately, that is what we do first upon firing-up the TV - scan all available channels to see what's on currently, or soon to be airing, to make sure we are not missing anything we might want to watch (or record)... So, we'd need to turn the system on via our remote control (H1), then have a phone or tablet available to continue as explained. I keep hoping that is not accurate or that I misunderstood, but I don't believe so.
It is clear that Tablo is a completely different paradigm from what we would consider to be the traditional DVR interface in the mold of a TiVo, DVR+ or WMC. It serves a different class and market of user -- highly mobile, watch anywhere on mobile devices. This is great and gives OTA users Xfinity-like capabilities. The only knock I'm seeing is that there is not paradigm overlap -- the Tablo base-station is not wired to a stationary HDTV to be operated like a traditional DVR. Your HDTV is treated in the same paradigm as the mobile devices and that is not going to fit the desires of many people who would otherwise be interested.

I think comparing Tablo to TiVo or WMC or any traditional DVR is an apples to oranges comparison. That being said, it is a slick device and it will be interesting to see how it develops so I'll stay tuned.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It is clear that Tablo is a completely different paradigm from what we would consider to be the traditional DVR interface in the mold of a TiVo, DVR+ or WMC. It serves a different class and market of user -- highly mobile, watch anywhere on mobile devices. This is great and gives OTA users Xfinity-like capabilities. The only knock I'm seeing is that there is not paradigm overlap -- the Tablo base-station is not wired to a stationary HDTV to be operated like a traditional DVR. Your HDTV is treated in the same paradigm as the mobile devices and that is not going to fit the desires of many people who would otherwise be interested.

I think comparing Tablo to TiVo or WMC or any traditional DVR is an apples to oranges comparison. That being said, it is a slick device and it will be interesting to see how it develops so I'll stay tuned.
Agreed on that Kelson. I and a couple family members, and friends who visit, fit this new type of user, but at times. Around the house, in the yard, on the deck, on biz travel, I'm all over Tablo. However, at the primary viewing spot for entire family, the one with the big screen, "fancy" audio, 9 speaker system, gaming device, karoaoke, etc, all beautifully controlled with one masterful remote, that user experience is compromised with the need to resort to two devices for control.

I'd like to believe that it's possible to change that, while not impairing what makes Tablo the cool device that so many love...
post #34 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Do you currently use a DVR? I gave up the guide in 2000. Once you setup series recordings outside of selecting a sporting event or so there is no reason to access it. Any recording trumps live as you can skip commercials and anything currently on you want to view is already being recorded. I record 6 channels... how much hopping can I do. My guide is more like this... I admit it takes a while to let the DVR drive TV in lieu of yourself.

Charles, not sure how I missed this post.

At the moment, yes I have a DVR at the house we are moving from, an HR23 (DirecTV) and technically, I have the DVR+ still, but it's re-packaged, and getting returned on RMA tomorrow... I worked at TiVo for a short while, about 14 years ago, and still have a couple those old boxes. I actually still have "lifetime" DVR service on my HR23 with DirecTV due to grandfathering of that agreement...

I hear ya on what you are saying, and it makes sense. I have not watched a show, series, sitcom, etc in a couple decades (active person, in school a fair amount, travel, work, etc). I have no interest in recording a ton of stuff to simply watch later. I watch sports and the nightly news, live events, after which, I might browse for something interesting before bedtime. If I can't be home for the game, I record it of course. Now with two preschool kids, I browse for programming for them, and have found some good stuff on PBS, today "Super Why". I was recording such shows on the DVR+, and it worked great. Even though we know what we want to record, I often find something else worthy of a looksee or even recording, by browsing the channels first, or on a periodic basis. Sometimes lineups change, or are just different on different days or weekends, etc...

The DVR+'s tuner is the only reason I'm returning it. I otherwise found the product well-conceived and the support was great...
hubcityraider likes this.
post #35 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
However, at the primary viewing spot for entire family, the one with the big screen, "fancy" audio, 9 speaker system, gaming device, karoaoke, etc, all beautifully controlled with one masterful remote, that user experience is compromised with the need to resort to two devices for control.
If they went for that market they would be out of business in a week. I'm guessing some think Tablo is a hassle much in the way I felt WMC was back in the day. I'd be interested and go into the HTPC forum and read all kinds of posts about this or that Add-on and other such silly stuff. A couple of times I simply dismissed it as not being mainstream enough to even give it a try.

A few years later it was a better fit per se and I decided to give it a try regardless of what I had read. That's why I started my WMC thread in the HDTV Recorder forum versus HTPC as I didn't want it to be dragged down with the endless debates about guide replacements, adding station icons and endless other topics that do nothing but confuse most readers as to its usefulness or value.
TonyB1966 likes this.
post #36 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The DVR+'s tuner is the only reason I'm returning it. I otherwise found the product well-conceived and the support was great...
For me the DVR+ isn't an option.
  • 2-tuners? - I'd miss perhaps a third of what I record.
  • Have to manually keep track of new episodes and repeats! - You mean it recorded a repeat instead of a new episode!!
  • No client capabilities - Even I view TV in more than one location at times.

I'll quit there before I really get started. And yes with that thing I can see why one would want access to the guide... heck you would be in there more than you would be actually watching TV.

Last edited by Charles R; 07-10-2014 at 05:17 PM.
post #37 of 42 Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM

I'm sure they'll have 4 tuners or more soon. Seemingly a must these days... I have had one or two for eons, with no issues. Now with little ones, I realize that this is apt to change. Given that I'm in a tough reception location, I'd like to get by with the minimum number of tuners, so as to not have to split the precious signal any more than necessary...

Would be nice if the DVR+ kept track of new episodes, for our kids, and I bet they'll have that at some point. As for my recording of sporting events, that is not an issue for me per se...

My primary focus is addressing needs where we watch TV as a family 90+% of the time. Having to use two devices to accomplish that is a step backwards in that respect.

Goes to show one that it comes down to each one's application and needs! Plenty of room for cool devices to secure pieces here and there.

I bet a major player, such as an Apple, will come-out a device (4th gen ATV?) that will cover a heck of a lot of needs for different folks. Talk of an RF in and tuner on the ATV4 is prevalent. If so, a DVR of sorts would seem logical too... Exciting times.
post #38 of 42 Old 07-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Can someone please answer this question? I was under the assumption the RoKu remote was all you needed. Is that the case or do you in fact need a tablet or smart-phone to operate the Tablo and watch TV on your big flatscreen in the family room.
As Snowcat indicated, you need a tablet (doesn't work on smart phone) or web connection. I tried the 4 tuner model and the web connection wouldn't work for me. Thank goodness I also had a tablet. Having said that, it's a pretty buggy device, imho. Pushed out before it was stable/ready. I couldn't recommend it unless you are someone who likes to tinker with new tech.

I was able to return mine for a refund. Having had Tivo (Premiere) and WMC, I would have to rank Tablo dead last in terms of TV DVR options. It's flakey on recording for a lot of people. And you do realize it is OTA only? Not a problem for me, as I use OTA only. Picture quality seemed pretty good on a wired Roku. Dreadful on a wireless Roku (both Roku 3's). The wireless Roku receives MLBTV fine, along with all the other Roku channels that at least look near HD. What's up with that Tablo?

They have a long way to go to make this 'plug n play', consumer friendly/easy to use. I would recommend anyone considering this, to look at the Tablo forums first. That said, as long as you can return it, $ damage will be minimal.
post #39 of 42 Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post
As Snowcat indicated, you need a tablet (doesn't work on smart phone) or web connection.
In what conditions are a tablet required? When you can't configure your phone or PC to connect to your network during installation?

Quote:
Having said that, it's a pretty buggy device, imho.
What did you find buggy?

Quote:
It's flakey on recording for a lot of people.
What was your recording history?

Quote:
Dreadful on a wireless Roku (both Roku 3's).
Did you have Tablo wired to your network? If so, I can't how it played any part in any issues you may have with your wireless network. Outside of requiring x bandwidth to pass its HD image. If you didn't well...

I would appreciate some real life feedback... thanks.
post #40 of 42 Old 07-21-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After losing aereo, I had to finally get off my hump and get OTA dialed in. I finished this process last weekend so now my signal is perfect for the whole home. Next on my list is a whole home DVR solution. While I like the price, grid style guide, and channel surfing speed of the channel master DVR+, I just can't get past its inability to differentiate new shows vs re-runs, so it's out.

A nice thing about aereo is it trained wife and me on watching OTA live and recorded TV with all the nontraditional quirks of the roku app. The ability for a Tablo to easily be our whole home DVR via our already existing Rokus is a huge draw for me. The lifetime sub that's not machine based is also a draw vs Tivo as is the price in general compared to Tivo. On the other hand the loading time to change channels is a bummer (aereo had this too, so not a deal breaker.) The deal breaker for me is the lack of a grid based guide from within the roku app. Aereo didn't have it either, so I assume it's with good reason, but aereo did let you scroll through the upcoming time slots on roku. This was a compromise, but was ultimately good enough. Tablo needs this at a minimum.

I basically have until fall, and I want Tablo to win, but the lack of acceptable guide on roku keeps me on the sidelines. Meanwhile I keep considering the ridiculous expense of whole home TiVo or the technical complications of a HTPC setup as options.

Last edited by hubcityraider; 07-21-2014 at 01:18 PM.
post #41 of 42 Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityraider View Post
I basically have until fall, and I want Tablo to win, but the lack of acceptable guide on roku keeps me on the sidelines. Meanwhile I keep considering the ridiculous expense of whole home TiVo or the technical complications of a HTPC setup as options.
A few passing thoughts...
  • The HTPC isn't or doesn't have to be complicated and might be your least expensive avenue. Purchase two dual tuners, a few remotes and a few Xbox consoles for clients. The daily interface is as easy to use or more so than any of the others including TiVo. Regarding the initial setup it tops out at around an hour.
  • TiVo is the safest bet and most likely to offer the best resell value if you decide to punt (at any time).
  • Tablo isn't as slick as either of the other two in the traditional sense such as its interface and if I wasn't looking for mobile viewing I'd probably head in another direction. As much as I love the concept it's not quite here yet...
hubcityraider likes this.
post #42 of 42 Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Tablo isn't as slick as either of the other two in the traditional sense such as its interface and if I wasn't looking for mobile viewing I'd probably head in another direction. As much as I love the concept it's not quite here yet...
]
+1. i want one in order to have a network based tv watching fallback, but one of two things have to come first. Wait till its redefined (outside viewing without the authentication nonsense it does now, more platforms, offloading of recordings, 5.1 audio, better updates) or its on Woot for much cheaper. For me, it has to do a lot more than it does currently for the price of $600 ($300 4 tuner + $150 lifetime guide + $50+ hard drive + $100 Roku 3 (for watching on a tv) , apparently the ONLY Roku that works and yet you still cant see the guide on the roku.)

For a just little more than that, a Tivo will do all of that and much, much more. Yet people think Tivo is expensive and sharpen their pitchforks while screaming about it.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page