AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Recorders (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/)
-   -   DirecTV HD DVR Continuously Changes Resolution (No Pic or Audio) (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/1595402-directv-hd-dvr-continuously-changes-resolution-no-pic-audio.html)

danforth 07-08-2014 02:33 AM

DirecTV HD DVR Continuously Changes Resolution (No Pic or Audio)

Hey!

I've encountered a problem with my DirecTV HD DVR, and I'm really hoping someone here will be able to help me out.

Tonight, I used the S-Video output instead of the usual HDMI (up to this point, I haven't used anything but HDMI). Everything ran fine during this time period. But when I switched back to HDMI, there was no picture or sound. I've tried running it through different slots in my HDMI switch, then directly to the tv, and finally a different cable. (I've also reset the receiver via RBR.) All encountered the same issue. The HD DVR is constantly changing resolutions. It will start at 480p, then within seconds drop to random numbers, such as 99p, 54p, 4p, 1p, etc., all switching within seconds of each other.

I've tried my other devices using the same port (and HDMI switch) and everything checks out fine. Right now it's hooked up to component cables, which is fine if that's what I must stick with. But if anyone here has a fix for this issue that would let me go back to HDMI, I'd be very grateful.

Sorry for the long message.

And 'Thanks' for reading through it and trying to help out!

texasbrit 07-08-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danforth (Post 25571266)
Hey!

I've encountered a problem with my DirecTV HD DVR, and I'm really hoping someone here will be able to help me out.

Tonight, I used the S-Video output instead of the usual HDMI (up to this point, I haven't used anything but HDMI). Everything ran fine during this time period. But when I switched back to HDMI, there was no picture or sound. I've tried running it through different slots in my HDMI switch, then directly to the tv, and finally a different cable. (I've also reset the receiver via RBR.) All encountered the same issue. The HD DVR is constantly changing resolutions. It will start at 480p, then within seconds drop to random numbers, such as 99p, 54p, 4p, 1p, etc., all switching within seconds of each other.

I've tried my other devices using the same port (and HDMI switch) and everything checks out fine. Right now it's hooked up to component cables, which is fine if that's what I must stick with. But if anyone here has a fix for this issue that would let me go back to HDMI, I'd be very grateful.

Sorry for the long message.

And 'Thanks' for reading through it and trying to help out!

If you have native set to "on", this looks like it's something screwy in the handshake between the DVR and the TV. Try setting the output of the DVR to "native off" and just checking 1080i. Your DVR is probably the only device you have that can deliver "native" and maybe that is why everything else works OK.

danforth 07-08-2014 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasbrit (Post 25578961)
If you have native set to "on", this looks like it's something screwy in the handshake between the DVR and the TV. Try setting the output of the DVR to "native off" and just checking 1080i. Your DVR is probably the only device you have that can deliver "native" and maybe that is why everything else works OK.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll try it out tonight when I get home. Hopefully this resolves the issue. Regardless, I really appreciate the quick reply!

-Danforth