Fast Forward Tivo PC files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fast Forward Tivo PC files?

I have a large number of Tivo(Premiere XL4) files on my PC(Windows 7). I would like to scan through them quickly, but fast forward will not work on Windows Media Player? Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post
I have a large number of Tivo(Premiere XL4) files on my PC(Windows 7). I would like to scan through them quickly, but fast forward will not work on Windows Media Player? Is there any other way to do this?

Thanks
What is the file format. When you transferred them did you leave them as .tivo files or did you convert them to .mpg.

When you say you want to scan through them quickly -- do you mean you want to "skip" through them to identify the episode or do you mean you want to actually watch them but at a faster-than-normal speed.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

Thanks
I've found that there are two ways to do this. There is no way to use regular FF with .tivo files.

1) Put your mouse pointer on the time progress line. Just click to the point you want to go to.

2) Convert the files to another format using kmttg or some other program, then watch through Windows Media Center (or some other media center). Once converted though, .tivo files act just like any other form of media. I can even watch converted files streamed to my Sony BD player.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post
2) Convert the files to another format using kmttg
kmttg can strip the .tivo wrapper and leave the .mpg file which is kind of a universal container that can be played on a large array of hardware -- including the TiVo itself. The .mpg file can be played on VLC where you can set VLC to play at increased speeds.

So the direction he can take all depends on what his format is and how he wants to watch.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies. The files are in the original format. I want to scan through them at high speed, just like they were still on the Tivo unit. I have Windows Media Center, but I can't get it to play them back. If so, I would get one of those Media Center remote controls for playback, scanning, etc. I have tried some codecs, but they still won't play on the Center.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page