I want to record one channel while watching another - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I want to record one channel while watching another

Hi,please help me on this..
I want to record one channel while watching another.
I searched on the internet and now I know that there are DVD recorders with twin tuners, TVs with twin tuners etc.
there are TVs with twin tuners and you can record one channel while watching another on a HDD that connects to TV's USB port, right?
So, if I want to record one channel while watching another, is it all right that I buy a TV with twin tuner?; I don't want an external DVD or HDD recorder?
However when I searched on the internet about TVs with twin tuners, it wasn't much helpful.
So, can I record one channel while watching another with a TV that has only a twin tuner and an USB port?
What are the TVs that I can do this?
Please give me a detailed answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayantha Vitharanage View Post
Hi,please help me on this..
I want to record one channel while watching another.
I searched on the internet and now I know that there are DVD recorders with twin tuners, TVs with twin tuners etc.
there are TVs with twin tuners and you can record one channel while watching another on a HDD that connects to TV's USB port, right?
So, if I want to record one channel while watching another, is it all right that I buy a TV with twin tuner?; I don't want an external DVD or HDD recorder?
However when I searched on the internet about TVs with twin tuners, it wasn't much helpful.
So, can I record one channel while watching another with a TV that has only a twin tuner and an USB port?
What are the TVs that I can do this?
Please give me a detailed answer.
I've never heard of a TV that records. For that you need a DVR/PVR.

The USB port on some TV's can be used for Playing pre-recorded media, like photos, music, and movies from an external HD. But afaik no TV has the ability to Record this media directly. A common way to get the media files onto the HDD is to copy them on first using a PC before plugging it into the TV.

Cable-free since Nov 2013

Last edited by laridae; 08-06-2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: elaborated on answer
post #3 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
What country are you in? In N. America we don't currently have TVs with twin tuners or DVRs. Europe or other PAL countries may have a few models but not here where most AVS people reside.
If your in the US then a dual tuner DVR is your best bet. Hook it to your TV with a single HDMI cable and you can record 1 channel while watching another or even record 2 different programs while watching a third. DVRs commonly have 2,4,6 up to 8 tuners I believe and all can be doing different things at the same time.

Last edited by jjeff; 08-06-2014 at 10:37 AM.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
What country are you in?
+1 on that.

Add to that, what is your content source? i.e. OTA, satellite, some other service, etc.?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
I've never heard of a TV that records. For that you need a DVR/PVR.

The USB port on some TV's can be used for Playing pre-recorded media, like photos, music, and movies from an external HD. But afaik no TV has the ability to Record this media directly. A common way to get the media files onto the HDD is to copy them on first using a PC before plugging it into the TV.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1360576698

http://www.teac.com.au/television/pr...-usb-recording
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I think Japan may have some similar products, as I recall reading about their TVs that can record broadcasts directly to BD-R with a built-in Blu-ray burner. Content owners have fought heavily to ensure that no such products are available in the US, though.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Looks good!

As if I needed another reason to move to Europe or Australia!

Cable-free since Nov 2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
record , twin tuner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page