OTA DVR that will work with TVGuardian LT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OTA DVR that will work with TVGuardian LT

Hello, friends! I've cut the cord, and am pulling in around 38 stations from places so far away that I shouldn't be getting them!

But I have a problem. I can't find a subscription-free DVR unit that will take my external USB HDD, and that will support my TVGuardian LT.

The TVGuardian LT is a profanity filter that reads the Closed-Captioning encoding and mutes the sound when foul language is found. I need a unit that will send the Closed Captioning to the TVGuardian LT through the video out (yellow RCA jack), but not to the TV through the HDMI out.

Can anyone help? Please?!?

BSmith at BrentSmith dot com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-09-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Will the Channel Master CM-7000PAL do it, do you think?
post #3 of 7 Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hmmm, interesting problem.

I'm wondering if the Philips 5710 or 5750 could do what you want since it has its own CC decoder.

Could that decoder be "reading" or "seeing" the CC stream without displaying it? If so, could it then pass that info on to a downstream component like your TVGuardian, without having to physically "display" it?

Naw, couldn't be that easy!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 7 Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
You're going to need to get a new system for this pretty soon, as composite outputs are becoming harder to find. Some DVRs, such as the Channel Master DVR+, do not have analogue outputs at all and only use HDMI. You'll probably have to get a used Dish DTVPal or CM 7000 Pal on eBay, as Brent Smith suggested.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Yes-analog outputs are evil and must be banished from existence, not to mention the huge cost they add to a devices bill of materials.
Making the issue even worse is that there is absolutely no DRM (except macrovision) to protect content owners.
This has caused an incalculable losses in revenue for the content owners, who have lost untold fortunes because of consumers ability to record content instead of purchasing it from them.
Since analog just works without handshake issues, cable manufacturers suffer harm due to analog interconnects because customers dont have to "upgrade" their cabling after failed HDCP negotiations between devices resulting in no image/audio.

Good riddance analog.

Last edited by qz3fwd; 08-10-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
Yes-analog outputs are evil and must be banished from existence, not to mention the huge cost they add to a devices bill of materials.
Making the issue even worse is that there is absolutely no DRM (except macrovision) to protect content owners.
This has caused an incalculable losses in revenue for the content owners, who have lost untold fortunes because of consumers ability to record content instead of purchasing it from them.
Since analog just works without handshake issues, cable manufacturers suffer harm due to analog interconnects because customers dont have to "upgrade" their cabling after failed HDCP negotiations between devices resulting in no image/audio.

Good riddance analog.
I don't think the OP got all that.

I think the "a" word got filtered out!

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
are you in the US? You wont see or hear profanity on OTA stations. its against FCC regulations up to a certain time and ALL stations wont even dare to say anything profane due to the fear of being fined. Unless you are one of those who thinks "heck" and "damn" is profane....

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page