Tivo Roamio HD vs HomeRun Prime vs ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tivo Roamio HD vs HomeRun Prime vs ???

Stuck with Time Warner (sadly). We aren't good contenders for the "cut the cable" fad, as I like college football and seeing certain shows the same night.

Have 4 main TV's in the house. One that rarely gets used, has basic cable and a Chromecast (hate the Chromecast). Have a Roku 2 in the kitchen TV that gets used a lot, mainly HBO Go, Amazon Prime, Netflix and TW Cable app.

Living room is my main setup, SA HD DVR, PS3 and Apple TV. Using a Harmony Ultimate + HDMI switch, all these components also feed the TV bedroom as well.

Time Warner charges $24.24/month for that damn DVR. Going cable card + switched video tuner would be $2.50/month. We don't watch enough VOD to care about losing it and never order PPV.

Option #1 : Tivo. $170 shipped + $15/month. Will take 26 months to break even unless they slip us a lifetime offer during that time, as they are known to do to paying members, which might reduce that payback period. Pro is that it is very similar to our current setup (but better) and an easy transition, plus some new features. Big con is paying out $15/month with a 2 year break even point.

Option #2 : HomeRun Prime. $120 for the box, no subscription fee. BBBBUUUUTTT, the PS3 app sucks and you really need an HTPC running WMC to actually enjoy it. I can build an acceptable HTPC for $300. That's a 19 month payback period. My whole house is wired with CAT5 and I have a pretty robust network setup, so that's not a issue/worry as it is for many users. Main con is the whole setup is a bit more clunky and prone to issues vs. the Tivo. I'm perfectly happy with the PS3 doing Netflix/Prime and streaming via Plex/PS3 media server, so an HTPC isn't really an advantage in that regard.

Not really sure what Option #3 would be...I guess a Cable Card adapter in a HTPC, but I have other concerns with that and integration with the Switched Video Tuner...I'm not looking for some big project.

Thoughts? Most of the extra features of either service aren't of a big interest/draw to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 213
I guess you missed the WMC vs. Tivo thread in this same forum, which pretty well covers all that you asked.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I just bought a complete HTPC for $150 from Newegg. No need to spend $300.

SDV tuning adapter is a non-issue. Just plug it in to your external tuner or PC if you get an internal tuner. You have to plug one into TiVo too, so there's no avoiding that.

Plex/PS3 won't play copy once channels or recordings (HBO, etc. ). So WMC has a huge advantage there. Does Plex have any DVR capability or cable card support? I don't think so. If you go with WMC, you should really use an Extender for the bedroom instead (Xbox, Echo, etc. ). In the living room, just connect the PC directly to your receiver or TV.

Remember you also have to buy a TiVo and pay another subscription for your bedroom TV. So that option isn't as cheap as you think. You should also consider lifetime subscription since that pays for itself in a couple of years and has great resale value.

I love m WMC system and its lower cost before resale. Slowbiscuit loves his TiVo.

All other issues are thoroughly hashed out in the other thread.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I just bought a complete HTPC for $150 from Newegg. No need to spend $300.

SDV tuning adapter is a non-issue. Just plug it in to your external tuner or PC if you get an internal tuner. You have to plug one into TiVo too, so there's no avoiding that.

Plex/PS3 won't play copy once channels or recordings (HBO, etc. ). So WMC has a huge advantage there. Does Plex have any DVR capability or cable card support? I don't think so. If you go with WMC, you should really use an Extender for the bedroom instead (Xbox, Echo, etc. ). In the living room, just connect the PC directly to your receiver or TV.

Remember you also have to buy a TiVo and pay another subscription for your bedroom TV. So that option isn't as cheap as you think. You should also consider lifetime subscription since that pays for itself in a couple of years and has great resale value.
I think you misread the bedroom thing. I have an 4x2 HDMI switch with a Harmony Ultimate (RF) remote. I have a 1st floor master that backs up to the living room, so I simply wall fished an HDMI line from an HDMI wall plate in the living room to behind the TV in the bedroom. Just carry the remote into the bedroom and watch TV there (we never use the bedroom and LR TV's at the same time, so that's a non-issue for us). Regardless of what I go with, I only need one device to service both TV's.

I just read about there being a WMC extender (the Echo being the popular one, though I saw Linksys and HP have older units out there as well). I don't need to build an HTPC if I use an extender. My desktop and my wife's (which is my old overclocked i7 920 build) are more than capable of handling WMC duties without breaking a sweat. I'd rather use my rig but looks like the extenders are Windows 7 only and I'm running Windows 8.1 - wife is running 7 so it would work on hers.

I could score a used XBOX 360 for Windows 8 support...perhaps one with a bad drive or something to save some cash, as I have no intention of gaming with it.

Also, what HTPC did you score for $150? From my build specs, I found:
- Haswell Celeron processor for $25 (though I'm concerned with that...rather a low end i3 for $90)
- Micro ITX boards for $40-50 that were acceptable
- HTPC cases with power supplies (cheapest route) for $50
- 4GB RAM @ $32
- Storage drive. I have an old 64GB SSD for the OS (no reason to have long boot times), but even for a 500GB hard drive we are talking $40+

My intention would be to build the above (but with the i3), steal the old 1TB storage drive I keep my daughter's kid videos on out of my rig and buy another 4TB for it. I'd consider a $150 HTPC if it specs out well enough to be useful for sure.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-15-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 347
^^^
I see. You should be able to get an Xbox really cheap. I had a few Xbox extenders but they were old and noisy, so I replaced them with Echoes. That means I'm stuck with Win 7 too.

Here's my HTPC. 64GB SSD, 3TB HDD and IR dongle I already had. It's working beautifully. 1080p HD is smooth as silk, and the whole box sips a mere 19W under full load (recording several channels and streaming to a couple of extenders at once). It's connected directly to my main system. Extenders elsewhere.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7095248-acer...-free-shipping

Not a beast, but perfect for HTPC duty. It's essentially a laptop in a SFF case. I ended up buying 2 of them.

Above deal is currently dead, but I'd expect it (or one like it) to come back around soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdavej; 08-15-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page