TiVo Roamio OTA DVR - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #31 of 406 Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm still interested, and I'll try to explain why:

1) I'm a cord-never. I live in LA, in an area with good reception.

2) DVR options in the HDTV era have always sucked

3) For a number of reasons I am not interested in a HTPC

4) Currently using a Channel Master DVR (the old DTVPal-based unit, prior to the new slim one). This unit is functional but no more - it is a "dumb" DVR, recording channels and showtimes, not programs - if a program changes timeslots, and I miss the memo, I miss the program.

5) Tivo interface is awesome, but has always seemed spendy. Nonetheless, was recently seriously considering biting the bullet and getting a base Roamio + Lifetime subscription

6) Now they've launched this new $50 Roamio OTA. I still don't like the monthly fee, but by my math I will have to own the unit for 3 years and 7 months before its cost catches up to the cost of the base Roamio + Lifetime. That seems like a long time to me - I could have moved to an area with bad reception and been forced into a cable subscription, or broadcast TV might be transitioning to ATSC 3.0 and UHD-TV broadcast, or I might have left LA for a different city altogether.

The only thing that has me holding back is I'm thinking Tivo might blink and lower the subscription fee (or offer a Lifetime package at a price I think is reasonable). My DVR does work, so I'm not desperate for an alternative solution, just looking for a way to upgrade the experience. I do think I am a pretty niche market though, so I guess the question for Tivo is how many people like me are there for whom this is a reasonably good solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 406 Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 772
If you describe yourself as a "cord-never" viewer, I'm surprised you'd be willing to attach yourself to TiVo's cord.
slowbiscuit likes this.
post #33 of 406 Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I still don't like the monthly fee, but by my math I will have to own the unit for 3 years and 7 months before its cost catches up to the cost of the base Roamio + Lifetime.
One thing to keep in mind is that TiVo has a pretty good resell value with Lifetime. So in most cases you can get a good chunk of your investment back. Back when I used TiVo for roughly a decade I would purchase a unit with Lifetime and upgrade its drive. I'd sell it for a small profit and repeat... not sure TiVo ever cost me any money. I haven't keep up but I'm guessing you can still recoup quite a bit if you decide to punt.
post #34 of 406 Old 08-27-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 187
For the record, I'd be perfectly happy with the product ... If I were in the market for an additional (or replacement) OTA-DVR. OTOH, I don't see any reason to replace my Premier at the current time.
post #35 of 406 Old 08-28-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
6) Now they've launched this new $50 Roamio OTA. I still don't like the monthly fee, but by my math I will have to own the unit for 3 years and 7 months before its cost catches up to the cost of the base Roamio + Lifetime. That seems like a long time to me - I could have moved to an area with bad reception and been forced into a cable subscription . . .
That may seem like a long time to re-coup a Basic+lifetime but in TiVo years it really isn't. As has been pointed out, a TiVo+lifetime has a high resale value. The reason for this is they seem to last forever so people aren't afraid of buying a 4yr old TiVo. My TiVo HD is almost 6 yr old and still running strong on the bedroom TV with the original HDD and peanut remote. I expect more of the same from my Roamio Basic which is coming up on 1yr. If you go buy the Roamio Basic+lifetime and move to a cable area, you are set with a cable-card DVR -- if you had the Roamio OTA you would be in the position of having to buy something else which would possibly include having to buy that Basic+lifetime anyway.

I too am cable-never. The biggest myth I ever heard is "TiVo is over-kill for OTA". The second biggest myth is "you don't need 4 tuners with OTA, what's there to record". Myth or simply uninformed opinion -- take your pick.
Damonb10 and jjeff like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #36 of 406 Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
TiVo Roamio OTA DVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Possibly use it as an OTA tuner with no other features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post
Don't ever purchase a Tivo without subscribing to the guide service. You'll be sorely disappointed and get pissed off at Tivo.
Thank you for the replies. With that in mind, it sounds like the TiVo Roamion OTA DVR would not be a good choice for them. What would be a better choice of a device that has one or more over the air tuners and can record? If it has the ability to stream Netflix or Hulu, all the better. Hopefully something that has no recurring monthly fees.
post #37 of 406 Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
Get the TiVo Roamio Basic. It has four tuners and can be used with cable or OTA. I use one for OTA to supplement my roamio pro. The Roamio Basic also can be used with TiVo Minis. And you can get lifetime service on the Roamio basic.
post #38 of 406 Old 08-31-2014, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Lifetime or Lower Monthly Fee

I would buy the TiVo Roamio OTA instantly if:

1) The monthly service cost $10 or less, or
2) The lifetime service were available for this unit.

I hope the TiVo people are following these threads.

(Which reminds me: Do I really need to be a TiVo customer just to ask them directly for info to help me decide whether to buy their product? I wasted time at the company site before coming here.)

Last edited by SirCrow; 08-31-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add'l info
post #39 of 406 Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
At one time not too long ago Tivo had OTA only guide info for <$10 month, I agree to make this more box more appealing they'd have to do that again or as you said offer a no fee OTA only DVR for <$500 total, $449 sounds better. I really feel they should avoid the whole lifetime wording, just call it a no fee DVR
post #40 of 406 Old 09-02-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
At one time not too long ago Tivo had OTA only guide info for <$10 month, I agree to make this more box more appealing they'd have to do that again or as you said offer a no fee OTA only DVR for <$500 total, $449 sounds better. I really feel they should avoid the whole lifetime wording, just call it a no fee DVR
The new Channel Master DVR+ model with a 1TB HDD set a new price bar of $400 for a mid-range OTA DVR. I can't see TiVo coming down close to that price for their product -- not given their advanced feature set, rock-solid recording reliability and the recent spate of reliability issues being reported in the DVR+ forum. That would be like Apple price-matching an iPad with a chinese clone android tablet.
Lew Black and bobsk8 like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #41 of 406 Old 09-02-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I guess when you compare it to the CM DVR+ at $400 with it's only 2 tuners and limited features, even $500 total for the Tivo is a bargain, of course people will always want it for less....
ncted likes this.
post #42 of 406 Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
of course people will always want it for less....
Of course -- especially now that people are starting to accept that the feature set of the DVR+ will never be updated with TiVo-like features.

Actually I was incorrect when I said the DVR+/1TB set a new price bar of $400.
$400 was the full retail price of both the CM-7000 and the CM-7400.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 09-02-2014 at 06:14 PM.
post #43 of 406 Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm still interested, and I'll try to explain why:

1) I'm a cord-never. I live in LA, in an area with good reception.

2) DVR options in the HDTV era have always sucked

3) For a number of reasons I am not interested in a HTPC

4) Currently using a Channel Master DVR (the old DTVPal-based unit, prior to the new slim one). This unit is functional but no more - it is a "dumb" DVR, recording channels and showtimes, not programs - if a program changes timeslots, and I miss the memo, I miss the program.

5) Tivo interface is awesome, but has always seemed spendy. Nonetheless, was recently seriously considering biting the bullet and getting a base Roamio + Lifetime subscription

6) Now they've launched this new $50 Roamio OTA. I still don't like the monthly fee, but by my math I will have to own the unit for 3 years and 7 months before its cost catches up to the cost of the base Roamio + Lifetime. That seems like a long time to me - I could have moved to an area with bad reception and been forced into a cable subscription, or broadcast TV might be transitioning to ATSC 3.0 and UHD-TV broadcast, or I might have left LA for a different city altogether.

The only thing that has me holding back is I'm thinking Tivo might blink and lower the subscription fee (or offer a Lifetime package at a price I think is reasonable). My DVR does work, so I'm not desperate for an alternative solution, just looking for a way to upgrade the experience. I do think I am a pretty niche market though, so I guess the question for Tivo is how many people like me are there for whom this is a reasonably good solution?
I am right there with you on every point.
1 I get good OTA reception with two high gain antennas (one UHF, one VHF) where I am in North San Diego county. I cannot get cable at our house.
2. Not many OTA DVR options that I like..... especially dedicated stand alone DVRs. I have a SimpleTV (Woot special) that is a good backup, but not what I consider a good primary DVR
3. HTPC...... don't want another computer to maintain and it needs to be easy to use for the wife and daughter.
4. I have the same Channel Master 7000 DVR and although it has been very reliable, the OTA program guide I get from the SD stations is sparse and often wrong. Every few months I have to setup the recordings again because shows change time/days.
5. The Tivo interface is awesome. I last used a Tivo (HR10-250) when we had DirecTV (have been OTA with Netlfix streaming 3+ years) and it was a great experience. $15/month is a lot although I certainly see the benefit Tivo gives.
6. The Roamio OTA seems like a inexpensive way to kick the tires for a year ($230 for one year of ownership). I am also considering the basic Roamio, but not sure I would ever cough up the $500 to get lifetime subscription that is not good for a future Tivo..... I realize you can recuperate a lot of cost when you sell it with lifetime. Tivo Mini is not very important to me as all "serious" TV watching is done on the projector.

The other DVR I am considering is the CM DVR+ (I have two 1TB USB hard drives laying around so it would be a total cost of $250). It has been getting pretty good reviews and its Rovi over internet program guide (no monthly charge) appears to be decent.... although there is no guarantee the Rovi guide will be around forever. I am debating between the two. The Roamio OTA is out this Sunday. I think I'll read a few more hundred pages of the DVR+ thread and try to decide.
dschulz likes this.
post #44 of 406 Old 09-08-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
I think I'll read a few more hundred pages of the DVR+ thread and try to decide.
Just read the last couple hundred posts that cover since the last firmware update. Everything before that is tainted by the bugs of the previous firmware.

- kelson h

post #45 of 406 Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am glad to know about this new model. I hadn't seen anything about it elsewhere. I have to say I think Tivo is missing the mark on this with no lifetime option. Most, if not all, cord cutters don't want monthly fees. Unless they change the pricing structure to include lifetime service like the Mini, I don't see this selling all that well. I will stick with my Roamio basic with lifetime and Mini's. But, am glad to see them at least recognizing the OTA market.
post #46 of 406 Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM

I have decided to go with a Tivo. The DVR+ seems decent, but I am willing to pay for the service/guide that Tivo has. I'm still deciding between base Roamio and the OTA Roamio. Although I am not very interested in support for a Tivo Mini , the recent life time service for newly activated Minis and a base Roamio price of $169 at Amazon and $159 at Fry's has me thinking.

The only thing that would for sure push me away from the OTA Roamio would be if it didn't support transferring recordings to a computer via Tivo Desktop plus / kmttg
post #47 of 406 Old 09-10-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
The only thing that would for sure push me away from the OTA Roamio would be if it didn't support transferring recordings to a computer via Tivo Desktop plus / kmttg
I would question that myself, were I considering the Roamio OTA, as I highly value that function.

As a long time TiVo user, I feel the OTA Roamio is not a good deal given the lack of a lifetime subscription offer. TiVo's hardware lasts a long time -- my first TiVo HD is coming up on 6 yr and still going strong with its original HDD and power supply and no signs of problems. You will easily exceed the 3yr break-even point of a single-price Roamio base + lifetime. I feel this is especially true with Roamio basic -- the only two items that seem to "break" on a TiVo is the HDD and much less frequently the power supply. Replacing the Roamio HDD is a simple drop in and the power supply is an external wart that is as easily replaced as the remote.

Look at it this way. If you buy the Roamio OTA, how will you pay for the monthly subscription? Credit card, right? So, if the lifetime price seems too large for you in one gulp, just put it on a credit card and pay it off monthly $25 at a time. You will have the sensation of paying at a lower monthly subscription rate while actually renting-2-own. You end up a winner in the end.

- kelson h

post #48 of 406 Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Look at it this way. If you buy the Roamio OTA, how will you pay for the monthly subscription? Credit card, right? So, if the lifetime price seems too large for you in one gulp, just put it on a credit card and pay it off monthly $25 at a time. You will have the sensation of paying at a lower monthly subscription rate while actually renting-2-own. You end up a winner in the end.
That is an interesting way to look at it.

Looks like the Roamio OTA was just a way to get people to buy the base model...... well that is how it worked for me. I was willing to pay $15/month and not have a lifetime option, but then they announced the Mini now has lifetime built into the price...... and then having local places selling Minis at pre-lifetime prices ($88 Fry's) was just too much for me to pass up. Picked up a Mini at Fry's this morning. The two base model Roamios they had were open box so I went to Bestbuy and they price matched Fry's at $159.

I don't think the OTA Roamio is a bad deal. Although the OTA is more costly long term than a base + lifetime, it still might be a fine option for those that can't or don't want the big upfront expense or those that might go to satellite in a year or two. I activated my Roamio as monthly so I can check it out for a month to make sure I am happy with it before I cough up the $$ for lifetime.
post #49 of 406 Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The Roamio OTA does not support Minis and yeah the Minis are a great deal now, so there's yet another reason not to get the OTA.
post #50 of 406 Old 09-13-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I plan on getting one tomorrow.

My plan is to use it with my Xbox One.

Starting using a HTPC last year with WMC. I towrks really well, but have some wife issues with it. This should simpilfy my life for awhile.
post #51 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 28
so I go to my local BB this morning at 10:03 only to find out that Tivo hasnt shipped them yet to stores. Estimated date the 28th (this was per the manager who talked with the Tivo rep. He needed to get the SKU too as they didnt have it readily available) (this is in Minnesota)

But I was able to order one and have it shipped to their store (or home if I wanted) and I'll get it Wednesday

What I found kinda shocking was while I was ordering mine there was 4 other folks asking about it (and ordering it) and when I left there were 3 more people. Again this was 1/2 hour after they opened.
post #52 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been a Comcast subscriber with a Comcast (Motorola) DVR for 8 years. I am now considering a Tivo and perhaps even the Roamio OTA and "cutting the cord."

The basic Tivo Roamio can be used with cable or an antenna. So if I bought the basic unit and decided at some point in the future to discontinue cable, I could use it with an antenna and it would function like the Roamio OTA, correct?
post #53 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil View Post
I have been a Comcast subscriber with a Comcast (Motorola) DVR for 8 years. I am now considering a Tivo and perhaps even the Roamio OTA and "cutting the cord."

The basic Tivo Roamio can be used with cable or an antenna. So if I bought the basic unit and decided at some point in the future to discontinue cable, I could use it with an antenna and it would function like the Roamio OTA, correct?
correct on the cable or OTA part. not correct that it will function like to Roamio OTA, it will do a lot more than R-OTA. You would be able to use Tivo Mini's with the basic Roamio, not the R-OTA.

Cord Cutter | OTA - NYC DMA - TiVo Roamio - 3 TiVo Mini's | Plex Pass | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | NBA via Ballstreams, MLB.tv & MLS Live with No Blackouts!
post #54 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
so I go to my local BB this morning at 10:03 only to find out that Tivo hasnt shipped them yet to stores. Estimated date the 28th (this was per the manager who talked with the Tivo rep. He needed to get the SKU too as they didnt have it readily available) (this is in Minnesota)

But I was able to order one and have it shipped to their store (or home if I wanted) and I'll get it Wednesday

What I found kinda shocking was while I was ordering mine there was 4 other folks asking about it (and ordering it) and when I left there were 3 more people. Again this was 1/2 hour after they opened.
I was surprised to not find the Roamio OTA advertised in the weekly BB circular, those ads have to be printed a few weeks ahead of time to get them to the newspapers for delivery. Also as of this morning no OTA on the BB website

My best friend is my PAL
post #55 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

since its only available in select stores I doubt the website would have them
post #56 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
correct
The Roamio basic (for 199.99) works with both OTA and cable
The Roamio OTA (for 49.99) ONLY works with over the air
post #57 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
correct on the cable or OTA part. not correct that it will function like to Roamio OTA, it will do a lot more than R-OTA. You would be able to use Tivo Mini's with the basic Roamio, not the R-OTA.
Thanks. The Tivo mini isn't important to me at this point (we only have 2 TVs and the 2nd isn't used much.) If I do cut the cord, I want to make sure I can record OTA shows for later viewing like my current DVR can which is apparently the case with either model. Even at 4x the price, the basic Tivo seems like a better buy to me unless one is certain they will never subscribe to cable in the future. I haven't made that decision yet.
post #58 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Even at 4x the price, the basic Tivo seems like a better buy to me unless one is certain they will never subscribe to cable in the future.
Nobody pays full price for a TiVo -- or at least they shouldn't.

Amazon price for a Roamio Basic is $170 and Best Buy will price match Amazon.

- kelson h

post #59 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nobody pays full price for a TiVo -- or at least they shouldn't.

Amazon price for a Roamio Basic is $170 and Best Buy will price match Amazon.
Thanks. I knew they were cheaper on Amazon. Just used the Roamio basic MSRP as a reference versus the MSRP of the Roamio OTA.
post #60 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Remember also that the "full" Roamio offers the lifetime subscription, which makes it a much better deal than the Roamio OTA over the long term. The Roamio OTA pretty much has no redeeming qualities over the regular Roamio series, since TiVo didn't discount the monthly fee to offset the lack of the lifetime option.
GPowers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders