HDMI Input To PC Options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDMI Input To PC Options

I have a Comcast Pace DTA that outputs digital via HDMI and analog via coaxial.

I have a Hauuppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 tuner card which has a digital coaxial input and an analog coaxial input. AFAIK, the digital inputs support QAM and ATSC.

I wish to somehow capture the digital quality that is output only from the HDMI on the Pace DTA into the pc using WMC and an IR Blaster to record, It currently works fine with the analog signal but the picture quality sucks.

Any HDMI to Coaxial converter, I am guessing would convert it to analog. Are there any simple solutions? I guess what I really want is HDMI input . If there was a budget friendly receiver that has hdmi video input and output digital over coaxial that would be great too but I guess since it has to be QAM or ATSC such a thing does not exist.

Sorry if my issue sounds confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Basically, HDMI was designed to prevent people from doing what you are wanting to do. Best solution would be to get a cable-card PC tuner and use WMC to do your recordings. As long as the recordings are not copy-protected you can use software like Video ReDo to remove the commercials and save the video file in a more common container format like .m2ts, .mpg or MKV.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Basically, HDMI was designed to prevent people from doing what you are wanting to do. Best solution would be to get a cable-card PC tuner and use WMC to do your recordings. As long as the recordings are not copy-protected you can use software like Video ReDo to remove the commercials and save the video file in a more common container format like .m2ts, .mpg or MKV.
I just want to be able to record shows that I could otherwise record with a cable provided DVR. But I understand the restrictions, same as not being able to take cable dvr shows off of the specific dvr

Yeah, I do not want to deal with the cable card....

I think my best solution is to cancel cable and go back to Digital OTA =)
post #4 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I think you should reconsider cable card. Solves all your issues and was absolutely free for the first device, last time I checked. And that completely takes the place of all your cable boxes, making it much cheaper than what you're proposing, since the DTA fees go away too. Plus you get all the additional benefits of full guide and DVR functionality. You're already using WMC, so what's the difference in having a cable card or not? Just plug it in and make a phone call and you're done. After the initial activation, you don't have to do anything. It just works.

I've been doing it a couple of years now and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Saves me about $50/month (5 TV household sharing one card and 6 tuners).

Then again OTA is completely free. If you're satisfied with the big 4, that would be your best bet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdavej; 09-02-2014 at 08:02 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I think you should reconsider cable card. Solves all your issues and was absolutely free for the first device, last time I checked. And that completely takes the place of all your cable boxes, making it much cheaper than what you're proposing, since the DTA fees go away too. Plus you get all the additional benefits of full guide and DVR functionality. You're already using WMC, so what's the difference in having a cable card or not? Just plug it in and make a phone call and you're done. After the initial activation, you don't have to do anything. It just works.

I've been doing it a couple of years now and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Saves me about $50/month (5 TV household sharing one card and 6 tuners).

Then again OTA is completely free. If you're satisfied with the big 4, that would be your best bet.
Are you using HD HomeRun Prime?

OTA will likely be the way I go if Comcast raises my rates which I think they will because I'm about to hit the one year mark.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post
OTA will likely be the way I go if Comcast raises my rates which I think they will because I'm about to hit the one year mark.
Threaten to cancel and renegotiate another year with customer retention.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Are you using HD HomeRun Prime?

I currently use a 6 tuner Ceton. But I have used a few Primes in the past. Both work well. Many like the Prime better. I needed more than 3 tuners for my system.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Threaten to cancel and renegotiate another year with customer retention.
I tried, even asked for a supervisor.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 33
As others have stated here, save yourself a bunch of headache and get a cablecard tuner. I recommend HDHomeRun Prime.
What you want to do can be done with limited success with a device like the Hauppauge HD Personal Video Recorder 2 but with several limitations:
1. It will NOT itegrate very well with Windows Media Center.
2. You will not be able to capture some channels which require HDCP DRM between the Cable DTA and your Monitor/Television.
3. You will be limited to 1 tuner (I think).
4. You will have to rely on IR basters for channel changes.
5. You will likely end up with dropped frames.
6. You will end up with some degradation due to the mpeg2ts(MPEG2)->decompression->hdmi signal->compression->mpeg2ts(H.264) compression.

Good luck. Suck it up, get a cablecard from Comcast and suffer through the 1 time setup process.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page