Capturing SA 8300HD via component: 720p vs. 1080i — neither is suitable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Capturing SA 8300HD via component: 720p vs. 1080i — neither is suitable

Hello all,

I finally got a Hauppauge HD-PVR2 to capture some HD recordings stored inside my 8300HD. I'm using component output. My problem is that I can't seem to find an 8300HD picture format that gives me what I need.
  • 1080i gives me a 29.97 fps file, interlaced, and I can see the two separate moments in each frame. (This tells me the source material if 59.97 fps. It's a broadcast TV show.)
  • 720p gives me no interlacing, but the box outputs it at 59.94 fps with the exact same image in each pair of frames (single-stepping in VideoReDo), so actually only getting 29.97 fps of actual picture data.

My goal is to get a progressive file with all the picture data from the 1080i file, i.e. a 59.97 fps file where every frame shows a different moment and the image is not interlaced. I have to admit being dumbfounded that the 720p file would repeat frames — how braindead is that? — and would appreciate advice on how to best massage the 1080i file into a deinterlaced, 59.97 fps file. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 438
You need to transcode the video to get the result you desire. What was the format of the original channel you made the recording from? You should use that as your output resolution, and then you can use Handbrake or other video processing tools to transcode into your desired format, e.g. 1080p 29.97 fps H.264.
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I do need to transcode. Since I'm having trouble getting Handbrake to give me the output I select, I think it's better for me to take this to the Handbrake forum. Thanks for the reply.
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page