Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDTV Recorders That Also Stream Video Service

I as wondering what Over The Air HDTV recorders have been made, or are currently being made, that also have streaming service functionality built into it. Two that readily come to mind are:

-Channel Master DVR+ (with limited selection)

-TiVo (Greate selection with access to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, VUDU and more.)

It seems like there are , or have been, others, too. I think Boxee has a streamer with optional OTA tuner, but I don't think it would record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Not sure you'd find this useful.

From my WMC recorded TV, I configured (already installed on all computers) iis webDAV with basic authentication to stream content over 4g.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-15-2015, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I as wondering what Over The Air HDTV recorders have been made, or are currently being made, that also have streaming service functionality built into it.
TiVo is the only stand-alone HD DVR for OTA that provides a large number of streaming channels as part of the interface that includes all the major sites. The DVR+ currently only offers 3 streaming channels -- more are promised. There is a Philips model that offers 4 streaming channels but is an obsolete 1-tuner box with no guide, manual VCR-style programming and no live-view trickplay functionality.

If you want high-end and complete, you buy TiVo. If you want anything else, you buy a RoKu to go along with it.

The other alternative is building a HTPC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 01-15-2015 at 10:42 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The other option is to skin the cat differently. Tablo and Simple TV offer network attached DVR boxes that do not have an HDMI out. They connect to your router and to your antenna and can be accessed from a variety of devices ranging from tablets to Roku boxes. I use a quad-tuner Tablo and a NAS running Plex Media Server in combination with Roku boxes and a collection of streaming services (Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, DramaFever, Funimation, Vudu, YouTube, Vevo, Pandora, iHeart Radio and others). The NAS stores all of my music, photos and ripped movie and TV content. I can access every piece of non-disc content from a single simple interface that my wife and kids know and love. It is a powerful thing and I can drop Roku boxes and/or Roku TV sets anywhere in the house via wireless and power line networking.

Scott
post #5 of 9 Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered a New Tablo DVR 2 Tuner off EBAY $150 , I have Chromecast and thinking of getting Roku. Which model of Roku works best with Tablo ? I hear Roku 1 may be to slow also what are you using for storage, I understand it will only handle up to 2 TB external drive.
Thanks
post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post
I just ordered a New Tablo DVR 2 Tuner off EBAY $150 , I have Chromecast and thinking of getting Roku. Which model of Roku works best with Tablo ? I hear Roku 1 may be to slow also what are you using for storage, I understand it will only handle up to 2 TB external drive.
Thanks
From everything I have read, the Roku 3 is the one to use with Tablo. All of my boxes are Roku 3s. I've read about people having some issues with the 1, 2 and Stick with Tablo.

Scott
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm using the DVR+ and loving the interface for YouTube, Pandora and Vudu. I'm looking forward to the added "Linear Internet Programming" they promised at CES. I'm hoping they include Amazon Prime.

I have to admit I'm envious of the idea of my media server (I'm using Plex) on the same guide. I think that would be great to have a single channel guide to access our personal content as well as OTA TV and Internet streaming.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
i'm using the dvr+ and loving the interface for youtube, pandora and vudu. I'm looking forward to the added "linear internet programming" they promised at ces. I'm hoping they include amazon prime.

I have to admit i'm envious of the idea of my media server (i'm using plex) on the same guide. I think that would be great to have a single channel guide to access our personal content as well as ota tv and internet streaming.
dvr + ?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingram View Post
dvr + ?
It is mentioned in the OP's original post, the Channel Master DVR+.
Reply HDTV Recorders