The Official 169time AVX-1 Technical Status Discussion - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know where to give the credit, but I've gotten some HBO stuff through the AVX-1 to work on my PC for the first time. I'm using the latest AVX-1 software and the latest DVHSTool, but that is about all I changed since the last time I tried this a couple of months ago.

I recorded The Fifth Element twice today and watched about 15 minutes of the second tape. I didn't see an problems in the few places I checked or in the part I watched. I also transferred about 10 minutes to my PC, which ended up in 2 files. When I tried to play the 1st one back in ZoomPlayer it hung ZoomPlayer and I had to kill it. I then tried the 2nd file and it looked good. Then I used the HDTV2MPEG2 utility to cut the first few seconds off the first file and it then played back fine. I do get a few stutters that I think are from my CPU not being fast enough, but I also get these with Dish 5000 recordings (I'll have to check to see if they happen in the same place each time, but there weren't very many of them). In the past with AVX-1 recordings I couldn't go more than about a minute without ZoomPlayer getting hung up or skipping on one spot repeatedly, so this looks like really good progress, since I let one little clip loop for maybe 10 minutes without any problems. I'll also try playing back on my AccessDTV card, since that one has totally chocked on AVX-1 recordings in the past.

I'll of course have to do more testing to see if I get similar results with other recordings. I'm transferring the whole 5th Element at the moment and I'm setup to record Osmosis Jones in the morning. I'm also trying to figure out if I can upgrade my Athlon 1800+ to a 2600+ without changing anything but the CPU. If not, I might look into ordering a Radeon 9700 to replace my 9000 or put together a Pentium 4 3.06 GHz system.

--Darin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, stupid question time. My DTC-100 still hasnt received a new software download (stuck back on 40b) so I dont have raster timing option yet.

I have used the service menu to pick a centering option that comes close on HD and SD channels, but there is still a slight alingment problem. If I make a recording like this, and play back, am I going to see this same black edge on the tape? Or is the DTC-100 the only problem, and recordings made will playback fine once I get the upgrade (or if i play back with the DVHS connected right to TV)?

Also, does anyone know if someday the software upgrade will be sent, or if I absolutely have to take my unit in to have it flashed?
post #363 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Just reviewed Richards updater doc. Should be out hopefully today

dave
post #364 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 12:57 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Still no Luck.

I deleted all files and folders and started over.

I ran Stomp, did a build global image with 169time CD installed, named the Global Image File CDIMAGE.gi, created a folder in program files and put CDIMAGE.gi in that folder, I downloaded the patch file as a zip file directly into the folder containg the CDIMAGE.gi file, I unzipped the file and double clicked the file containing UPB3B_GI.EXE and got the same failure as before.

I get the message original version 0.8B2 to 0.8B3 procees started.

Original 0.8B2 image not verified.

Lon
post #365 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Lon, I know your CD is in the mail.

Weird. That only thing I would guess now is the CD you are using is having an issue. So unless you have a few to try, you may be stuck.
Hopefully that CD will be there soon.

dave
post #366 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 01:50 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Dave:

Thanks for your help, I just called home and the CD arrived today.

Now lets see how I can try and beat up the AVX1, I don't think it is possible.
post #367 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 02:21 PM
PVR

Upgrade process worked fine for me...
post #368 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Give it a shot. The more we can find about bullet proof, the better.

dave
post #369 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 09:41 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

So far AVX1 is as stable as HDVR OTA, great job 169time.

Lon
post #370 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Lon, GREAT. Thats what I had found in 2 days of testing.
Richard is the man!!

Dave
post #371 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My upgrade arrived and was installed tonight.

Takes a lickin' but keeps on tickin'.

Really an awesome step forward as the upgrade simply removes almost all of the alchemy from the startup process and makes the AVX-1 virtually idiot-proof.

It's like one of those blow up clown punching bags we had as kids. Knock it over and it just stands itself up all by itself!

Now add in timer functionality, adapt to the 6000 and...the sky's the limit!

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not an engineer."
post #372 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Todd great!!!! Just wait until the next set of products come out.
169time is the consumer HD company.

Dave
post #373 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Dave,

I don't have a CD burner, etc. so I will need the CD also from 169time. Remember that I have two units. You mentioned before not to contact 169time directly about the CD. Is it now time? or can you get me two from them?

Sorry to be a pain. Didn't realize my computer was such a dinosaur before this week.

Jeff

Jeff
post #374 of 3266 Old 04-15-2003, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by h2ofun
Todd great!!!! Just wait until the next set of products come out.
169time is the consumer HD company.

Dave

Don't be such a tease! What is in the works? I've been hoping that 169time will add the Sony HD-100 or HD-200 to its lineup of modified STBs. If this happened, I would jump on board in a second (as I wouldn't have to purchase a new STB).
post #375 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 12:45 AM

My experience with 8B3 and my Proscan105/AVX-1 with Mits HD2000U continues to be excellent.

I did have one major glitch using a Fuji SVHS 160 tape where I recorded Artificial Intelligence (AI). I could read the tape via DVHSTool but could not get playback through the Proscan. (I actually have two Mits decks - one is setup with the 169Time gear and one is only connected to my HTPC).

I had just gotten a JVC DVHS Cleaning tape and gave that a shot - did the trick so I am relieved.

My startup process is now easier and has worked without fail.

I leave the AVX-1 firewire connected at all times. The AVX-1 gets turned on only for record. Its off (but firewire connected) for playback. Using an external power switch, I power cycle the Mits DVHS deck when I change modes from record to playback (or reverse). I now never do the 1394 list rebuild on the Mits. After a Mits power cycle with the Proscan tuned to an OTA digital channel, the Power button on the Proscan always returns to the blinking state. I have not had to power cycle the Proscan for two days (since I started using 8B3).

Over the last few days during my recording sessions (mostly for testing), I have changed channels on the Proscan numerous times while in record mode. The AVX-1 shows a resync but picks right back up and apart from a short breakup on the tape where I changed the channel, I am getting great recordings.

I have also had success using a scheduler on my HTPC to activate timed recording (causing the Mits to start/stop recording). The scheduler sends a command line to Girder which has the Slink-e plugin configured with IR commands for both the Proscan and the Mits. In this case, I have the AVX-1 running already. I can start and stop recording as well as change channels on the Proscan. Kind of cool! I scheduled my system to do 4 different short recording sessions (1 HBO, 1 SHO, 1 HDNet and 1 OTA). Worked like a champ - with no hands!

Great work 169Time team!

Dare I wish for being able to have the HTPC be the recorder rather than the DVHS deck?

Regards,
George
post #376 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 01:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

George:

I'm glad you posted. With the update, I have had basically the same experience with the Mits that you have, although I have the DTC-100.

You answered two questions that I have had:

1. That is is OK to leave the AVX connected to the Mits at all times.

2. That a reboot of the DTC-100 is not necessary at the same time you reboot the Mits.

As I posted earlier, the major problem I have experienced is audio dropouts when HBO switches from 5.1DD to 2.0DD and back again. How you experienced anything similar?

What is your physical arrangement of the three components? In other words, how far apart are the units? I want to place the three in my rack about 6 inches apart in a vertical direction. This was not possible before the upgrade, and I had to place the AVX 12 feet from the Mits.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #377 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First off, I would like to say, great update.
Update process went without a hitch.
Because I am short 1 component input on my amp, I'm going to try leaving the avx1 on all of the time and watch the dct100 through the firewire of the Jvc.
I hooked the S-vid connector of the dct to another input so I can look at the guide etc.
So far, so good. This seems to work .

The reason for my post though is that I tried to use the external timer of the dtc100 to start and stop the jvc (the wire that plugs into the back of the dtc and sends an infared record signal to the vcr).
My thought was to leave the vcr turned on and set to I-2 and let the dtc send the record signal to the jvc via infared.
I set the vcr code in the dtc (016 I think it was) and set a manual timer in the dtc.

In my testing, I've found that the dtc sends out a power toggle before the record signal.
This means that the vcr has to be off for this to work.
The only problem is that if I power the jvc off then back on, it usually won't pick up the picture on the I link (I get a white screen with the jvc on screen graphics).
If I don't touch anything (jvc is still set to I-2), and press the reset on avx1, after booting, picture comes in.

So, if the dtc didn't send a power toggle, or sent a discrete power on, I think this would work, but I can't see any work around.

So, for now, we have to press record button manually (but at least we can record )
post #378 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know where I can buy one of those external remotes with a Timer on it?
post #379 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Jeff, sorry for the confusion. Contacting them was before the s/w was out.
Its not problemo to contact them now and get what CD's you need.

dave
post #380 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Xfactor, my opinion for 169time is there is no need to do another direct tv box now. (They could do easily but. )

My input to them is get the timer working, and the 6000.. This way they have a solution for all the sat stuff. After that, will have to see again.
I look at what gets 169time the most volume.

Dave
post #381 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Great posts. Finally, as expected, we have a reliable engine. Now, this engine can be used with different cars.

Dave
post #382 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

The only reason most of us DirecTV'ers would want a different box is probably to have one with the APG, and spiffier graphics. But my solution is to just keep the DTC100 as a record only device, and will buy a new HD STB. I just wish D* would send down the darn software update on the DTC-100!

Hopefully I can play with the unit tonight, been tied down (literally, almost broke my ankle) so I havent been able to give more feedback from a Mitsu DVHS/TV user.
post #383 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Kirby, I agree with you but again, since 169times goal is to record only, spiffier isnt on the chart. Reliability is , and the dtc100 is a proven work horse.

Now if they had more folks, money, etc, they would love to have all this stuff but, oh well, staying small has its positives also.

Dave
post #384 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

True, and dont get me wrong, I wasnt complaining I could care less if the DTC-100 doesnt have APG. If it records reliably, I will be happy! I just cant wait to be able to hop over to the equipment rack and mess with things...
post #385 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, but I am hoping it will be a 6000 so I can have both direct and dish.

dave
post #386 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by h2ofun
Xfactor, my opinion for 169time is there is no need to do another direct tv box now. (They could do easily but. )

My input to them is get the timer working, and the 6000.. This way they have a solution for all the sat stuff. After that, will have to see again.
I look at what gets 169time the most volume.

Dave

In my opinion, they will make more money but adding a newer box than adding timer functions. I'm not sure a timer function is a huge selling point when this solution is the ONLY option available for D*. Indeed, even when D* does have a recording option it likely won't have firewire, so this will still be the only viable solution for people looking to archive.

I am willing to bet a number of people are on the fence who would love to either have their HD200s modified or would purchase an HD200 and have 169time do its work if such an option were available.
post #387 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Again, unless some has some other data, getting the 6000 next seems like a larger market?

Dave
post #388 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Dave that the 6000 would be the next logical step. Having a recording option with Echostar and its 5000+HD modulator, doesnt cover many people. Besides, that combo cant even receive Discovery or any new HD channels because it doesnt to 8PSK. Get the 6000 done and you can go after all Echostar HD subs.

On the other hand, I still wouldnt mind seeing a new generation DirecTV box. But I do understand where its importance is in the food chain. I dont know yet what timer functions I will need on my DTC-100 unit, since I will use my Pronto Pro to do timer functions, change channels, start/stop recording etc.

Of course all my logic could change if one provider decides not to bring aboard new HD channels. At that point, if one does add things like ESPN, HD movies, whatever else, and the other doesnt, I would focus more on whichever provider has the most programming for us to record. Wouldnt make any sense to devote precious hours to a mod for a provider offering only 2-3 channels, while the other offers 5 or more. Just my $0.02.
post #389 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 11:53 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

I agree with Dave, no need for another DIRECTV box, the DTC100 works great to record, so one box for DIRECTV and one box for Dish seems right.

I would really love to see recording to Hard Drive either a seperate HDPVR or software for HTPC, and lastly perhaps recording to HD DVD maybe the new Sony.

Like Dave said 169time has a well working engine that can go into many cars.

Lon
post #390 of 3266 Old 04-16-2003, 12:26 PM

Responses for Mikey Mo's questions:

My physical arrangement has the Proscan and Mits Deck in the top of a tall vertical e-center cabinet and the AVX-1 at the very bottom. This was the situation prior to the release of 8B3 and I have not changed it. The actual distance between the AVX-1 and the Mits (which is under the Proscan) is 55inches.

Regarding audio drops. I have not noticed anything in particular as I typically wait to see the movie studio logo at the beginning before I press the record button and similarly press the stop button before the credits are over at the end. Over the next few days I will look for the transitions and report back. As a side note, I have noticed that receiver/amps are not all created equal in their sync time to changing audio formats. In my case, my Yamaha seems very fast to sync.

Regards,
George
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page