AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 130
"I also noticed that the JVC takes 8 to 10 seconds to finally except the tape
as a DVHS rcording. "

Could be the leader length.

I use SVHS tape all the time, never have any problems with it.

The older software B2 would freeze and then never recover. This new b3 seems to have rare freezes but quickly recovers which I think sums up the main improvement. I've now tried just about all the triggers that would kill a recording with b2 and in all cases the recording with b3 would recover. Also, using the Mits, being careful never to connect the firewire from the AVX and then just hit record is no longer critical as it was with b2.

This may have taken Richard 9 months to figure out but he clearly seems to have a winner here.

I guess it's true that 3rd generation of software they finally get it working. Windows 3.0 finally worked. I suppose Richard will now be adding features and call it b3.3 for good luck! Hope it doesn't take him another 9 months. But then again, I'd prefer to see a 6000 1394 product. Time is running out fast on that window of opportunity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

"I also noticed that the JVC takes 8 to 10 seconds to finally except the tape

It takes the JVC that long to determine its a digital recording.

Sounds like the dropouts are from the signal and not the tape.
post #543 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 06:01 AM

hello again Don

You mentioned before that the 8 -10 seconds of snow is only on the leader.
If you fast foward the tape a few minutes into the recording,you will notice it as well.
Try ejecting the tape after fast fowarding it a few minutes into the recording then reload it .
It will also take about 10 seconds to the deck to read the Digital signal.
Rarely on occassion it will tell you to insert head cleaner.

Who ever is out there reading this,Please give me your results if you have the JVC deck.

As mentioned I noticed that after recording a few movies that I would get
a audio & video dropout for about 5 seconds.

This would happen sometimes at least twice in the recording.

I also like to ask if I should shut the avx 1down after I record when playing back a movie,or if that may effect this problem?

Also should the fire wire be disconnected from the deck coming from the reciever to avoid any playback problems that may occur(if there is)?

Dave if your out there I like some feedback.

The recordings come out great whenever I don't get the brief Audio?video drop outs.
post #544 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

As you wrote, and has been said, your concern has nothing to do with 169time products. Its how the decks work. To prove to yourself, take off the avx-1 and just record regular OTA. You will find the same thing.

As far as dropouts, you have to remember, unless one was taping, this stuff happens all the time and you would never remember it. If you have a clean signal, and everything is stable, you wont get any problems. But if you change channels, put the menu up, get a glitch in the signal, etc, yet, like anything source I have recorded from, meaning OTA also, you will get a glitch. Digital is never going to be 100% perfect from any company. It just doesnt work that way.

Dave
post #545 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

yrral-

My results are from a Panny or Mits VCR, not a JVC.
Typically, if I start a recording from the full rewound tape, it will not take until about 10-12 seconds into the tape. (leader, I suspect)

Doing what you suggest, FF into the tape and then bringing up the play mode, the first observance, nearly immediately, is a freezing of the existing OTA signal and this lasts for about 1-2 seconds, then the playback of the tape begins. Never saw an 8-10 second delay here except as I stated, in the very beginning of the tape.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #546 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

No matter where I start the tape from, it takes my tv 5 to 10 seconds of tape to sync. So, whether this is my TV, or the deck, not sure.

Dave
post #547 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Larry

One thing I am experiencing with my JVC. Playback through the component analog output is perfect. No drop outs or pixelization but playback of the same tape via firewire and I do experience drop outs a few times per movie.
This of course tells me its not the fault of my recording but some kind of interference causing my digital playback to drop out from time to time.
post #548 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Alan- do you have the RFI totoids on your fire wire at both ends? Easy thing to try as they just snap on. We use them even in our edit suite for exactly the same reason you observed.

Dave- That must be another sensitivity/disadvantage of the JVC VCR. It never takes more than a second or at the most 2 for the picture and sound to pop on after hitting play in the middle of the tape.

You know, there are two different ways VCR's today thread the tape over the drum in stop mode. One is fully engaged and the other is partially engaged. Roger would know better but this may be the reason it takes longer on some VCR's and not others.

Try an experiment and see if the play comes up faster in pause to play mode than it does from stop to play mode.

Don Landis
post #549 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dave- That must be another sensitivity/disadvantage of the JVC VCR. It never takes more than a second or at the most 2 for the picture and sound to pop on after hitting play in the middle of the tape.

Doesn't matter where you are in the tape. If you press Stop on an S-VHS tape and Play again it'll always take 8-12 seconds for it 'figure out' that its a digital recording.
post #550 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Don

I need to pick a few of these up and give it a try. Its really strange, everything use to work perfect but I've added some new equipment and Ive had trouble ever sense. Yes Firewire is very sensitive.
post #551 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Larry, comment from Richard.

fyi

At this point the dropouts would be due to drop outs originating at the
source, such as rain or poor RF satellite, or something in the recording
machine or media. I don't use S-VHS tapes for this anymore myself, and that
would be the first place to start.

If the dropout happened while watching the original signal, it's in the
source signal.

If the dropout only happened on tape, it is either the tape or the tape
machine.

fyi

Dave
post #552 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mrwilson
Doesn't matter where you are in the tape. If you press Stop on an S-VHS tape and Play again it'll always take 8-12 seconds for it 'figure out' that its a digital recording.

Yes. I think this is completely "normal" for the 30k with these tapes. If a hole is drilled in the back of the tape so that the machine recognizes it as a DVHS tape then this doesn't happen. Of course, the downside is that there is some risk of shards of plastic if you don't make sure none of them get inside the machine. I prefer to drill the tapes so that I don't have to remember to push the DVHS button before recordings and so that they don't have this startup issue. Especially when guests are over.

--Darin
post #553 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 11:22 AM

Hello Dave,
I have a very good signal usally when I record & I have these ferrid things
on both ends of the fire wire on the 4 pin to 4 pin & 4 pin to 6 oin.
I also have these on the power wire entering the avx 1 as well as the jvc & the proscan set top box. I have it on the componet wires entering the JVC as well.

It is true that it takes several seconds for the deck to read the DVHS signal
on a SVHS tape.

I know the signal is good when I record because I can monitor on the HDTV TV I have as I watch on the Video Projector as it's recording.
Another words as I'm recording I'm watching the movie being fed from the Proscan(Pshd105) to the JVC & to the AVX 1 out of the componet from the
JVC which is feed to the projector.

It worked perfect as I was watching it & recording at the same time.

When I play it back I get the brief Audio & Video glitch for a few seconds
2 or 3 times during the course of the movie.

169time has a excellent product & I love it when it works all the way thru.
But when I see this I say "OH what happened now"

This newer version is a greatly improved over
the last one.
Last time I would of said "this is what I paid for"

So dave if I use the DVHS tapes & everything I described here is good such as the signal the Ferrite Chokes,Do you think it will turn out 100%?

If I called you at the 169time phone # can you come to the phone?

Thankyou
I just want to be a little happier.
post #554 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I dont understand why some people have noise problems and some dont.. Why is it? I mean I would think my environment is quite noisy, and yet I seem to be breaking all the rules and recordings are coming through great. Seems strange to me.
post #555 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Nope, I dont work for 169time.

YOu can talk to RIchard.

But as Robert has said, do you have the pad in? Are you sure your termination between the lan, switch and dtc100 are good? If not, you wouldnt see this with regular recording.

All I am offering is a lot of folks have tried to jump to the 169time product as the source of there issues in the past and it turned out to be they didnt have a "clean" signal. Not saying this is your case, but its not clear you have spent enough time trying to isolate. (It has taken many of us months to get this better understood. And you see ALan is fighting it now.)

Dave
post #556 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Kirby, as Robert has posted, signal termination is very important. Just because one doesnt see it watching, doesnt mean it will work cleanly for recording.

Dave
post #557 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Where can I find Dish 6000's, maybe in quantity, cheap?

Dave
post #558 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 12:41 PM

Hello Robert... Can you tell me what you mean by a lan switch & pad in?
I'm not using this in a PC.

The 3 hook ups are
1.The Rca Proscan PSHD-105
2. The JVC HM DH-30000
3. The AVX 1
post #559 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You can buy the attenuator at radio shack. Robert has posted in this thread recently that this is still good to use. But, ever installation is different. I dont have it and seem fine.

Dave
post #560 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 01:04 PM

hello dave,
I bought the attenuator at the same trime i bought the ferrite chokes.
It's being used in the set up.
post #561 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I have nothing else to offer.

Sorry

dave
post #562 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 01:13 PM

Ok How about some rep or some help from the fellows at the 169time Company.

My posts are here can you come up with a solution?
Does Richard ever come on this forum or anyone
from 169 time?

I need some technical answers

Should I disconnect the attenuator?
Should I stop using SVHS tapes?
Why is it when the signal is good & as I'm watching HDTV as I'm
recording that everything is cool?

What do I do?

Please H E L P
post #563 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 01:27 PM
JHL
Advanced Member

Have you tried recording WITHOUT the chokes and/or attenuator in place? I removed a signal amplifier from my configuration and have gotten much better results with the new software. I used to see pixelation several times/hour and now it rarely happens.

The pixelation was limited strictly to recordings, I never noticed this sort of problem on my projector when watching programming directly.

John
post #564 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

"Where can I find Dish 6000's, maybe in quantity, cheap? "

Have you called Dish Depot? There often have deals on pricing and trade ins. Otherwise call Echostar directly.

yrral-

The absolute best and most accurate information can be had direct from Richard. Go to their web site and you will find a phone number to talk to him at tech support. tell him your problems and let him tell you what to do. This forum is just a bunch of users with our own experiences. Even Dave, while he has better access to Richard than the rest of us (because he lives down the street) is for all forum purposes, another user but who happens to be close to the man and probably has more off the record information on what's happening with 169Time than we do but, no offense, Dave, probably is not as well equipped to help you as is the man himself. I recommend you call him.

Some of your questions are somewhat humorous. Here is what I do when dealing with a problem. I try to eliminate all the unnecessary variables in the process that still produces the problem. eg. should you stop using SVHS tapes? Of course, stop using them. When I do testing here, I use DVHS tape because I don't want that variable to influence the test. I use SVHS tapes when I have the system working perfectly. I even believe that SVHS tapes perform as well and sometimes better than DVHS tape but that is my opinion. I just don't use it when doing testing because SVHS tape has other setup and operational differences that I don't want to be bothered with during testing of other issues.
Just try to simplify your system until you get things working consistently. Then you can afford the luxury of saving money on SVHS tape for your recordings.

Don Landis
post #565 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Don, this stuff will probably never be "perfect", what ever that means.
But if thats what one expects, HDTV recording is probably not what a person should do. This has to be a hobby. Just my experience.

Dave
post #566 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Larry

One thing I am experiencing with my JVC. Playback through the component analog output is perfect. No drop outs or pixelization but playback of the same tape via firewire and I do experience drop outs a few times per movie.
This of course tells me its not the fault of my recording but some kind of interference causing my digital playback to drop out from time to time.

Make sure you have the 3DNR on during playback. This does make a defferance on the JVC's If it's not lit just push the button to turn it on.
post #567 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I was spending so much time in the Iraq forum that I didn't notice this new software drop until this morning. I just upgraded and I'm trying it out to see what happens. I'm starting on HBO just for a worst case scenario, no special startup scenario or anything like that. We'll see what happens. Unfortunately, if I start getting good recordings, I'm going to have to go back over the religion thread and admit that at least one miracle has happened.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #568 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Dean, long time no hear. I have yet to have a failure on HBO.
So, let us know what you find.

Dave
post #569 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I did run one tape today, and I checked it an it looked ok. But it was just random junk and I don't have time to sit down and watch it. Unfortunately, there's not much on HBO of interest to tape over the next few days. I might try to get Wild Side tonight, but I doubt it's going to be terribly high quality video. But, it's something I'd be willing to sit down and watch to see if there are any problems. I'm always up for a good HD lesbian scene or two. I'll probably take a whack at A.I. tomorrow, since I never got a good one before. Nothing like HD to really capture all of that noisy grain.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd

post #570 of 3266 Old 04-23-2003, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Come on Dean, is that all you are going to say after your comments in the past?

Dave
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page