DTV HR21 external drive upgrade, keeping programs - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DTV HR21 external drive upgrade, keeping programs

I have a DirecTV HR21 with an external drive that is starting to get unreliable. I plan on upgrading to a 2-drive RAID (the Mediasonic ProRaid HUR3-SU3S3). My issue is that I want to keep all of my existing programming.

I have read many times that with DirecTV it is impossible to transfer your recordings to a new DVR since the data is encrypted to only work on the recording DVR, but since I am keeping the same DVR, this should not be an issue for me. But since most people aren't doing this, I haven't been able to actually find instructions on how to move your recordings from one external drive to a new external drive for use on the same DVR. (I do see that Weaknees offers this service if you buy a new drive from them, but I'd rather do it myself if I can figure out how...)

Does anybody know the process to do this? Any webpage that describes the steps? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmenson View Post
I have a DirecTV HR21 with an external drive that is starting to get unreliable. I plan on upgrading to a 2-drive RAID (the Mediasonic ProRaid HUR3-SU3S3). My issue is that I want to keep all of my existing programming.

I have read many times that with DirecTV it is impossible to transfer your recordings to a new DVR since the data is encrypted to only work on the recording DVR, but since I am keeping the same DVR, this should not be an issue for me. But since most people aren't doing this, I haven't been able to actually find instructions on how to move your recordings from one external drive to a new external drive for use on the same DVR. (I do see that Weaknees offers this service if you buy a new drive from them, but I'd rather do it myself if I can figure out how...)

Does anybody know the process to do this? Any webpage that describes the steps? Thanks!
Try http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/158213-...isk%20%20drive

That deals mostly with the internal drive but I suspect you can extend the technique to the external drive.....maybe!
post #3 of 3 Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Awesome, thank you! Yep, I should be able to just skip all his hardware steps and jump to "hook up to computer"... Just what I was looking for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
Directv , dvr , upgrade

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page