AVS Forum banner

Which DVR is best for an OTA setup?

12K views 195 replies 27 participants last post by  WestCoastD 
#1 ·
I'm planning on ditching TWC soon. But I'm going to miss that Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 DVR.

I do have a TiVo Premiere (BNIB), that I purchased last year. But I'm not sure if I want to use it. I've been eying the TiVo Roamio & TiVo Roamio OTA.
The 4-tuners sounds great to me. I'm just not up for that monthly subscription. :( The lifetime subscription costs also make me sad. When I'm trying to
save money (in the long-run).

Is there any 2-tuner or possibly 4-tuner DVRs out there that don't require a monthly subscription? It would be great if it also had a channel guide.

Are these worth a look? How well do these work?

Tablo 2-Tuner DVR
Tablo 4-Tuner DVR
Channel Master DVR+

#2 · (Edited)
Full Retail on the Roamio base 4 Tuner, 500GB, 75Hrs HD, w/ Lifetime Service, would cost you $699.98

But you can get it for $449.99 plus the cost of the ebay discount code.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Promo-...io-Pro-Plus-DVR-Mini-w-Lifetime-/221567055169

After you purchase and receive the code, you use the promo code at TiVo.com and purchase directly from TiVo.

The eBay seller has sold 326 codes and has 100% positive feedback, offer him $39.00 and he should accept it.
He also has a site selling the codes, http://spherular.com/ Use the coupon code: COMMUNITY to also get the code for $39.00

Upgrading to a 3TB HDD is as simple as installing a new WD AV/GP HDD (WD30EURS or WD30EURX) and rebooting, the boot OS is stored in on-board RAM.

If you choose to get Lifetime on your NIB Premiere, use the Promo code PLSR to get Lifetime for $399.99 instead of $499.99.

The Roamio has better OTA tuners, according to most TiVo OTA users.

#3 ·
Thx :) Bryan, but I'm leaning towards getting a Channel Master DVR+.

Would I be better off getting the Channel Master DVR+ (16GB) or Channel Master DVR+ (1TB)?

Could I just buy my own HDD and add it to the Channel Master DVR+ 16GB?

Where would be the best place to purchase one? BestBuy or Channel Master?

#4 ·
The DVR+ is the only dvr I never bought in search of a replacement for a DTV PAL dvr.

Homeworx 150 : 1 tuner, works good when it works, PSIP guide only
ePVision PHD-VRX : I bought the original so the 2nd model may be different. Good tuners (2), poor (low) audio output thru HDMI, only PSIP guide.
Philips HDR5710/5750: 1 tuner, no guide, way over priced at MSRP but was worth the $99 I paid. Pro: HDD included.
Tablo 4 tuner: Runs HOT, always 25 - 30 degrees above room temperature installed in open-air area. Add the cost of the 2 week guide if you dont want to manually set it like a vcr, a Roku or Chromecast if you dont already have one, and a tablet with a supported OS if you dont always have one. This can make it rather costly. The tuners are good and Ive had no trouble casting. My free month of the full guide hasnt run out yet so I cant comment on its function without it. I doubt I will get it because Im afraid the unit will die from the heat and I bought a TiVo.
TiVo Roamio (not Roamio OTA) : Amazon had it on sale for $109 before Xmas. I used the PLSR code for the $400 lifetime service. The tuners, audio, and video out are good. Nice guide and setting season passes to record only new episodes is great.

From my personal experiences even at full price for the Roamio with the $400 lifetime it would have best the best experience for the cost. This is based on viewing only on 1 TV thru an AVR for great sound quality. For basic multiple TV viewing Tablo may be the best value if you already own enough Rokus/Chromecasts/tablets, if not the TiVo minis have had some good pricing lately, with the DVR+ being most costly as 1 would be needed at each TV.

Of course all tuner performance varies by location, Im lucky that all of my towers are in the same general direction.

Good luck with your decision!

#5 ·
I have the DVR+ and like it very much. It is prefect if you have a "WAF" issue ("wife acceptance factor") as it works more like a Tivo or your TW DVR, with a channel guide that allows you to view the program guide and then select a program in the future and decide to record it. Then you can record all episodes, all new episodes or that single episode.

The only caveat I have is that if you are in an area where you pull in stations from two markets you may not get the good guide data for both markets. In my case, I have three channels from the Santa Barbara area, where my zip code only pulls in guide data for the Los Angeles stations. I haven't found a zip code that pulls in station data from both areas. So the guide data goes out two weeks for the LA stations, but only a day or so from the Santa Barbara stations. I'm fine with that because all the major network stations are in LA and are duplicated in the Santa Barbara stations. It will not be an issue for you at all if you are pulling all your OTA stations from a single area.

The DVR+ without the 1TB drive allows you to buy a $59 portable hard drive and plug it into the USB port. That's more cost effective than paying $100 more for the internal 1 TB drive. It is also more flexible. The internal drive also goes dark if you attach an additional drive to the USB port (only one drive is active at a time), so if you need more than 1 TB storage at any time you essentially "lose" what is on your internal drive when you plug in a 2 TB or larger external drive. If you start with an external drive you can swap it out and have an "archive" disk of the old recordings if you like (they are not encrypted on disk, so several people are copying them to their computers).

So my opinion would be to buy the standard DVR+ and an external drive.

#8 ·
I have the DVR+ and like it very much. It is prefect if you have a "WAF" issue ("wife acceptance factor") as it works more like a Tivo or your TW DVR, with a channel guide that allows you to view the program guide and then select a program in the future and decide to record it. Then you can record all episodes, all new episodes or that single episode.
How reliable is the channel guide? Does it offer a weekly or two-week guide? How reliably does it update the guide?

TWC DVR typically is reset by 11AM-12PM Sunday. After which I setup my weekly recordings for the week. Sometimes I add a couple minutes before/after
each planned recording depending on the show. I mainly use my DVR as a ICIB or III Box. IE: In Case I'm Busy or If I'm Interupted Box

After I watch all my planned shows live or recorded I delete them.
Would the DVR+ handle my scheduling routine well?

The DVR+ without the 1TB drive allows you to buy a $59 portable hard drive and plug it into the USB port. That's more cost effective than paying $100 more for the internal 1 TB drive. It is also more flexible. The internal drive also goes dark if you attach an additional drive to the USB port (only one drive is active at a time), so if you need more than 1 TB storage at any time you essentially "lose" what is on your internal drive when you plug in a 2 TB or larger external drive. If you start with an external drive you can swap it out and have an "archive" disk of the old recordings if you like (they are not encrypted on disk, so several people are copying them to their computers).

So my opinion would be to buy the standard DVR+ and an external drive.
Is there any particular brand I should go with or avoid? USB 2.0/3.0? What size 1 or 2 TB?

Would it hurt the DVR+ or external drive if I just deleted the recordings after I watch them?

The DVR+ is a nice mid-range DVR with a mid-range feature set for a mid-range price. However, before you buy I would advise you to go to the DVR+ thread and read the posts from the last firmware update to present. The price may be nice, but you need to determine if you can live with all the bugs.
Do you have a link to the page number in that thread? What kind of bugs, how bad are they?

#12 ·
The DVR+ Owner's thread has some info on the guide data today on page 245 (specific link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hd...aster-dvr-owners-thread-245.html#post31135706)

The guide continues to expand hour by hour by which I mean that when you jump ahead to 2 weeks from today, you get the show listings for your time 2 weeks from now plus two hours. In that thread, the poster says he believes the Rovi guide data is updated and corrected with better descriptions, etc., on Sunday at 6 PM Eastern Time. Previously in the thread they have said the guide data descriptions are more accurate for the existing week, and then less accurate for days 8 - 14.

#14 ·
I dunno. I think there's a strong argument to get a Roamio.

Is it the best OTA solution? I think so. I really don't think it can be beat for ease of use. Plug and play as they say.

I wish they wold put OTA tuners on the higher end Roamios, but they don't.

Is it expensive? Yep. But I think it's worth the money just because there isn't any tinkering involved. My 2 cents.

#15 ·
#17 · (Edited)
I'm planning on ditching TWC soon. But I'm going to miss that Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 DVR.

I do have a TiVo Premiere (BNIB), that I purchased last year. But I'm not sure if I want to use it. I've been eying the TiVo Roamio & TiVo Roamio OTA.
Why not just sign-up the NIB Premiere for monthly service for 30 days and see how much you like the TiVo, You have nothing to lose. 30 day Money Back ?

At the end of 30 days:

• Switch the Premiere to Lifetime (easily upgrade the HDD to 1 or 2TB)
  • Cancel the service on the Premiere and get the Roamio w/ Lifetime
  • Cancel and go with Channel Master
  • You also have the option of the $49 Roamio OTA model, but it is $14.99 monthly service only, no option for Lifetime.

One other advantage to a TiVo is that you can easily stream from a PC or upload videos that you have downloaded to your computer like torrents.

#19 · (Edited)
What is the cost per month for 3 DVRs or Whole Home DVR and 2 HD STBs?

1 - TWC CableCARD and Tuning Adapter is $2.50/mo

See post #2 for the Discount Codes

Option 1
1 - Roamio 4-Tuner, 500GB, 75Hrs HD (easily upgradable to 3TB) w/ Lifetime Service - $449.99
2 - Tivo Minis w/ Lifetime Service - ($149.99ea) - $299.98
Total - $749.97

Option 2
1 - Roamio Plus 6-Tuner, 1TB, 150Hrs HD (easily upgradable to 3TB) w/ Lifetime Service - $599.99
Total - $899.97

Option 3
1 - Roamio Pro 6-Tuner, 3TB, 450Hrs HD w/ Lifetime Service - $699.99
Total - $999.97

#26 ·
I set up a Tablo 2 tuner DVR $155 from ebay combined with a WD 2TB Elements portable drive $90 and a Roku3 $85 and a OTA that I had over the weekend and I'm liking it so far. Someone mentioned that their Tablo was running hot my Tablo is running cool so far.
The Tablo DVR has a 1 day 24 hr free guide or you can pay $5 a month or $149 lifetime fee for a 14 day guide.
I researched the Amazon Fire TV also and it has great hardware specs but has fewer channel than the Roku 3. I will probably pick up a Amazon Fire TV 2 when they come out.

#30 ·
What would you do? I have three possible options to try.

[Option #1 ] Channel Master DVR+ $250 | TV Sources: OTA Antenna | Service Costs: ($0)
[Option #2 ] TiVo Premiere ($0) | TV Sources: OTA Antenna/Cable | Service Costs: $14.99 monthly or $499.99 Lifetime
[Option #3 ] TiVo Roamio OTA $50 | TV Sources: OTA Antenna | Service Costs: $14.99 monthly

***************************************************************************************************************************
Option #1 Committ to OTA

Upfront costs:

Channel Master DVR+ $250
1TB External HDD $80-100
or
HDD Enclosure $50
est $400

Other Monthly Charges:

$70-80 TWC (Internet Only)
$10 (Netflix)

Option #2 OTA w/ Cable possible backup

TiVo $14.99 monthly or $499.99 Lifetime

Other Monthly Charges:

$10 (Netflix)
Option #3 Committ to OTA

Tivo Roamio OTA $50
TiVo $14.99 monthly

Other Monthly Charges:

$10 (Netflix)

**********************************************************************************************************

What are your experiences with these? Which is the most reliable OTA DVR? Of the three which is the most user friendly?

Channel Master DVR+
TiVo Premiere
TiVo Roamio OTA

#31 ·
What would you do? I have three possible options to try.

[Option #1 ] Channel Master DVR+ $250 | TV Sources: OTA Antenna | Service Costs: ($0)
[Option #2 ] TiVo Premiere ($0) | TV Sources: OTA Antenna/Cable | Service Costs: $14.99 monthly or $499.99 Lifetime
[Option #3 ] TiVo Roamio OTA $50 | TV Sources: OTA Antenna | Service Costs: $14.99 monthly

***************************************************************************************************************************
Option #2 OTA w/ Cable possible backup

TiVo $14.99 monthly or $499.99 Lifetime ($399.99 w/ promo code PLSR)

Other Monthly Charges:

$10 (Netflix)
If you select Option # 2, use promo code PLSR to get Lifetime for $399.99 instead of $499.99
The promo code only works, if you purchased the TiVo from a retailer and not directly from TiVo.com.

Remember, you have 30 days to cancel or change your mind and get the much faster Roamio.

Option # 3 TiVo Roamio OTA $50, @ $14.99/mo, does not make sense long term. If you plan to use it more than 30 months, you are better off with the base Roamio and Lifetime.

#32 ·
I'm a little confused. I was TiVo for OTA use only, and do want lifetime. So, what's the best deal I can get? Buy the promo code for $39, which gives me how much discount? When I go to tivo.com and add stand Roamio and lifetime to cart, total is $699.98.

Do I also use PLSR in addition to $39 code above?

Also, if I want to stream shows to iPad, I need to buy a Stream for $150 and TiVo app (free?).

#35 ·
Build your own DVR

I was using a PAL DVR, and was very pleased with it until they stopped giving guide data and it finally died. So, what do I replace it with? Must be inexpensive, must have a good free or low cost guide and obviously record and pause/play function. Since I could not find a DVR that met my criteria, I decided to build my own.

Did not want a power hungry HTPC, and the NUC's were out of my price range. OK, what about the inexpensive Android boxes?

Two years later and after purchasing 6 different Android boxes and a lot of trial and errors, I finally have an inexpensive stand alone DVR.

One Android box.
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tron...2-4G-5G-Bluetooth4-0-XBMC---Black-324676.html
One OTA tuner.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5015&cm_re=silicondust-_-15-345-015-_-Product

Video showing my DVR.

#97 ·
I was using a PAL DVR, and was very pleased with it until they stopped giving guide data and it finally died. So, what do I replace it with? Must be inexpensive, must have a good free or low cost guide and obviously record and pause/play function. Since I could not find a DVR that met my criteria, I decided to build my own.

Did not want a power hungry HTPC, and the NUC's were out of my price range. OK, what about the inexpensive Android boxes?

Two years later and after purchasing 6 different Android boxes and a lot of trial and errors, I finally have an inexpensive stand alone DVR.

One Android box.

I like your configuration. but i want to know if the android boxe can auto boot when we plug it. I search a configuration who can auto-boot and alway stay-on to record my programmed tv show.

#37 ·
My backend is running on the same Android box as the player. I have OpenELEC installed on my Tronsmart Vega S89H Android TV box.
http://www.amazon.com/Tronsmart-And...UTF8&qid=1422546264&sr=8-4&keywords=tronsmart

I replaced the Android OS with OpenELEC, which is Linux with XBMC interface, it is very easy to install. OpenELEC already has the tvheadend server and drivers for my HDHomeRun ATSC OTA networked tuners installed. So it is real easy to create the PVR (DVR).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5015&cm_re=silicondust-_-15-345-015-_-Product

Guide data provided my a free program, mc2xml.

Since I don't have a powered USB hard drive, I am using a 32 gig USB stick to record to, but you can add a powered USB hard drive if you wish.

So, all you need is an Android box running OpenELEC
HDHomeRun tuner
obviously an antenna.

I have all my devices connected via ethernet, have not tried wifi.

#38 ·
Thanks, great info.! I already have HDHomeRun, so I think I'll try what you did... re: adding HDHR with tvheadend to Kodi (under OpenELEC), do you simply enable live TV and choose tvheadend as the PVR service? Then, I assume configure tvheadend via Kodi (or is it some kind of a web UI)? For EPG, first time I've heard of mc2xml.

Just looking for a step-by-step guide... especially for the tvheadend and mc2xml set-up/configuration bits.

#39 ·
Looks like an awesome setup. I've always wondered why there wasn't single Android PVR app but you appear to have figured it out. Few questions.

1. Does this box have mpeg2 hardware decoding? Since it sounds like you've tried several Android boxes already, you probably know that they commonly have difficulty with ATSC mpeg2 HD streams. Any issues with deinterlacing and may I ask what settings inside Kodi are you using.
2. Are you running TVheadend (backend) and Kodi (frontend) on same Android box?
3. I too have never used TVheadend or am familiar with mc2xml so hopefully that isn't too difficult.
4. Is there a way to record and playback to a network drive rather than USB?
5. Any issue with setting up more than one on the same network to share recordings?

#41 ·
1. Yes, these newer quad core Amlogic boxes have no problem with the mpeg2 TS streams. My HD channels, both 720P and 1080i play flawlessly, no dropped or skipped frames. Up until about 6 months ago, none of the boxes could play those files without a lot of dropped frames.

2. As you see in my video, I am running both the backend and frontend on the same box. Since I have two HDHomeRun dual OTA networked tuners, I was able to record 3 channels and channel surf with the 4th tuner. The channel switching is very fast also.

3. mc2xml is a powerful, free and very easy software to use, it also accepts Schedules Direct, to grab the TV listings

4. I am using a 32gig USB pen drive right now, and it works for my needs. I do have a NAS on my network, but have not tried to use that for my recordings. It should be able to do it, I would think.

5. I am not really sure what you are asking, but with that box as your TV server, all your other networked devices will "see" it. I shows up under my windows network places. I can access the pen drive attached to my box from my windows PC so I can do whatever with the recordings that are on the pen drive as well as most of the other files and folders that are on the TV server. Also, most importantly, if you have other Android boxes running XBMC attached to other TVs, you will be looking at the same thing as that is on the server box. You can watch the recordings, record and pause/play and watch channels independently of the other boxes.

#48 ·
There will be no performance difference. The H version has hardware decoding for Dolby Digital and DTS. From my understanding, that hardware decoding may be beneficial if you don't have a TV or AV reciever that decodes it. I got the H version, but found out that I did not need it, because I have a receiver that has decoding.

If you have never had an Android TV box, I would suggest that you use the box for a couple of weeks before installing OpenELEC. Android has a lot of nice features like Netflix, Hulu and Kodi , and many others. When you install OpenELEC, you will lose Netflix and Hulu if you use them.

You will also need an air mouse if you use it with Android OS. I have several different air mouse and this is my favorite.
http://www.geekbuying.com/BuyerOrder/OrderDetail/3170153?action=History

For OpenELEC and tvheadend, the stock remote works great.

#55 ·
My take is forget the other backends and use ServerWMC unless you really can't stand Bill Gates. I have used virtually all of them and it's no contest from a interface aspect not to mention it takes roughly two minutes to configure ServerWMC with Kodi. It simply works.

Now you do need WMC running elsewhere although its not very intensive and runs as a service in the background. In my configuration I store the recordings on my NAS via iSCSI. Clients can access them via a share on the WMC server.

Attachments

#57 ·
But what are you using for a backend?? I used to use my computer years ago for a backend, but today the best backend is one that is powerful but draws very little electricity.

My Android can run all year for what it takes one day for my desktop computer. I shut my computer down each evening, to save energy and NOISE.

#59 · (Edited)
@Charles R, May I ask what you are using for clients and is the guide as responsive as what clarkss12 demo'd in that video? On your client after you click "switch" on client, how long before video starts? I've definitely setup ServerWMC but was never thrilled with the EPG lag of Kodi PVR client.

Side note: I've never understood why Kodi uses word switch, shouldn't it just be watch?

#60 · (Edited)
@Charles RMay I ask what you are using for clients and is the guide as responsive as what clarkss12 demo'd in that video?
I use various clients but I'd never use a Raspberry Pi... way under powered to save a few bucks. I hardly ever watch live TV so it's irrelevant (for me) but it takes roughly a second to change channels. The WMC PC is used for most of my viewing which is still undeniably a better TV interface than Kodi.

#61 ·
- clarkss12, Thanks for doing that stress test. With regards to the client, how responsive is the EPG compared to the server Android box? In video you posted, changing channels was almost instantaneous. How similar/different are you clients in terms of lag after changing channels?

#65 ·
I have a Synology NAS that I am also running a backend PVR server, and it is very slow compared to my Android backend. The loading of of my guide takes only a few seconds on my server, but takes about 8 to 10 seconds on my clients. As far as channel changing on clients I did not test but I would guess it is pretty fast. I can check it tomorrow.

#67 ·
I've never used a Roamio or a DVR+. I own four Premieres (used for OTA and Cable). I read extensively about the other two.

Most reliable, user friendly, AND feature-rich? Either of the TiVo's.

Most economical? Used TiVo Premiere with Lifetime.

#86 ·
Well it looks like I'm going to go with the TiVo Premiere, which I already have.
This way I can go with OTA, Cable, or Both.
Once I get my OTA antennas setup in my rooms, I decide if I'll go monthly or LTS.
Thx for all the help. :)
I am not sure you can use the "PLSR" code for $399.99 Lifetime, if you start with monthly service. So if you want the $100.00 discount, sign up for Lifetime first. You can always change or cancel the plan within the first 30 days.

Something new that might benefit you from TiVo, especially if you go OTA Only. TiVo is starting to roll-out "OnePass" which is replacing the current Season Pass.

OnePass allows you to set-up a Pass for streaming content from Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant and HuluPlus, and can combine both recorded content and available streaming episodes into one list in the "My Shows" list.

So now you can setup a OnePass for original streaming shows such as House of Cards

http://pr.tivo.com/press-releases/t...ne-remote-one-box-onepass-nasdaq-tivo-1167281
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=525170

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/tivo-onepass/
http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-01/tivo-onepass/

#89 ·
Note that currently xbmc/kodi doesn't have the ability to record a series, you need to go to the backend software (whether WMC, MP, Mythtv, Tvheadend, etc) and set it up there.

That if you use mc2xml, use the -a option when initially setting it up. This will append a new episode with an "*", that way when you setup a series to record, ensure you use one with the "*" in it (i.e. *Blue Bloods) and I believe that will only record new episodes.

There are other devices that can be used, but I haven't tried them (ECS LIVA kit, ASUS Nexus 7 Player, etc), so look around.

If we continue to talk about tvheadend, etc, I think we should take it over to HTPC Linux forum ( http://www.avsforum.com/forum/76-htpc-linux-chat/ ).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.