Time Warner DVR 3 Beta (Arris DCX3600m) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Time Warner DVR 3 Beta (Arris DCX3600m)

I got into the beta program for the new DVRs from Time Warner. I think I have tracked down the model number correctly in the thread title. I figured we could use a space to discuss it.

Not sure if the UI is derived from Navigator but I suspect it is, there are some similarities. OTOH it is different enough that it is possible that it is something else.

The DVR is rather series-centric in that you can go to the page for a series and see all the recorded episodes, future episode airings and available on-demand episodes in one place.

On-demand is no longer accessed by going to channels but instead everything is available under the on-demand UI. Easiest thing is to search for the show you want and go from there. Or you can browse the categories.

One interesting choice - there are no settings. Everything is supposed to be intuitive and for the most part that's fine. Power users might be turned off by the lack of settings however (e.g. no way to adjust or turn off DVR compensation). Not sure if that will be the final result or they plan on adding them it later.

Anybody else here got their hands on one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i picked up a DCX3600m in Honolulu from Oceanic Time Warner Cable store in late December- turned in 8742- All controls, settings, info, gui, etc are all identical to what that i had previously with the 8742 DVR.- nothing has changed. I'm really enjoying this DVR, recording 6 shows at once is great- no worries about conflicts anymore & the 1TB storage is double what i had before- Nice for $3. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 2nd 8742 in bedroom as one 3600m seems sufficient now.

I've a simple system- 18 month old sony smart TV, the DVR & yamaha 675 receiver- all connected with HDMI- had no issues with hdmi handoffs using the previously 8742 DVR. Putting the 3600m into system- two issues now- My yamaha receiver no longer turns off automatically when TV is turned off as it did previously (interestingly it does turn on when TV is turned on)- Now requires an addt'l step on remote to turn off receiver. not a big deal-

Also my Sony smart TV has netflix button on sony remote-- in past just hitting this netlfix button would turn on netflix as expected. With the 3600m in system the netflix video came on fine but no netflix audio- the audio still remained from whatever station the DVR was tuned too- (turning off dvr resulted in no audio). i ran optical audio cable from TV to receiver & now to get netflix i use a different input on receiver.- A bit more complicated to get netflix than before but not a huge deal- except wife has trouble with this. i understand the HDMI handoff issues with the DCX3600m are known issues.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-09-2015, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
i picked up a DCX3600m in Honolulu from Oceanic Time Warner Cable store in late December- turned in 8742- All controls, settings, info, gui, etc are all identical to what that i had previously with the 8742 DVR.- nothing has changed. I'm really enjoying this DVR, recording 6 shows at once is great- no worries about conflicts anymore & the 1TB storage is double what i had before- Nice for $3. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 2nd 8742 in bedroom as one 3600m seems sufficient now.

I've a simple system- 18 month old sony smart TV, the DVR & yamaha 675 receiver- all connected with HDMI- had no issues with hdmi handoffs using the previously 8742 DVR. Putting the 3600m into system- two issues now- My yamaha receiver no longer turns off automatically when TV is turned off as it did previously (interestingly it does turn on when TV is turned on)- Now requires an addt'l step on remote to turn off receiver. not a big deal-

Also my Sony smart TV has netflix button on sony remote-- in past just hitting this netlfix button would turn on netflix as expected. With the 3600m in system the netflix video came on fine but no netflix audio- the audio still remained from whatever station the DVR was tuned too- (turning off dvr resulted in no audio). i ran optical audio cable from TV to receiver & now to get netflix i use a different input on receiver.- A bit more complicated to get netflix than before but not a huge deal- except wife has trouble with this. i understand the HDMI handoff issues with the DCX3600m are known issues.
I have an LG smart TV with a soundbar - I haven't had any issues with sound. I have always used an optical cable to connect them.

Did they give you a different remote to use with the new cable box? The one they gave us is a simplified version of what we used to have. One problem is that the power button always controls both the TV and the cable box which is not always what we want. I keep meaning to try the old remote on the new box to see if it works out. I think I would be missing the 'Home' and 'DVR' buttons.

One UI thing that is getting me, if I go in through the DVR interface to a series, I only see the recordings for the series, I'd like to be able to easily get to the screen that lists all episodes including those on-demand easily. Right now the only way I know how to do that is to search first.
post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdec View Post
I got into the beta program for the new DVRs from Time Warner. I think I have tracked down the model number correctly in the thread title
the Arris DCX3600m model No. is a "Video Gateway" product (obviously) designed to talk to the TWC cable-box(s)/DVR-cables-box(s) family. Is TWC still using Scientific Atlanta for the DVR/cable-receiver device part of this new Beta program? Or is all new/future hardware Arris product you know?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
the Arris DCX3600m model No. is a "Video Gateway" product (obviously) designed to talk to the TWC cable-box(s)/DVR-cables-box(s) family. Is TWC still using Scientific Atlanta for the DVR/cable-receiver device part of this new Beta program? Or is all new/future hardware Arris product you know?
I only have the one piece of equipment, so I'm not sure what they are using for set-ups with multiple TVs or whole house DVR.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2015, 01:01 PM

the remote i got with the 3600M says RC122 on back- with TWC logo on bottom. It's the same remote that i have now for the bedroom 8742- (my orig remote for the 8742 broke & Oceanic gave me the RC122 about 18 months ago). Same remote came with 3600M.
What is missing on this remote from the prevous model is the setting button which previously allowed one to code the power button to turn on/off all units with one hit of power- Now it takes me pushing TV button then Power to turn on receiver & TV, & pushing cbl button & power to turn on DVR.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-15-2015, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
i picked up a DCX3600m in Honolulu from Oceanic Time Warner Cable store in late December- turned in 8742
Oceanic Time Warner Cable is an SA/Cisco cable plant system, I am pretty sure.

You had a Cisco 8742 and now have an ARRIS DCX3600m?

So is TWC using SA/Cisco CableCARDs in ARRIS (formerly Motorola) equipment? That is the only way that would work. I see the ARRIS DCX3600m is Tru2way capable, meaning it can use either SA/Cisco or ARRIS/Moto CableCARDs.

Cox is doing the same thing only in reverse, using Motorola CableCARDs in Cisco equipment in Motorola markets.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 02-15-2015 at 03:49 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-17-2015, 05:11 PM

Brian- correct- i currently have a cisco 8742 in bedrm & Arris Dcx-3600m in living rm (turned in living rm cisco 8742)- i've
no idea what cable card is in either as i've never looked. I recall seeing tru2way on screen when it powers up after reset or
elec outage.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am hoping to get one of these soon. They are getting ready to roll them out here in Kansas City. I would be interested how they work with a Harmony One remote, which is what I use with my SA8742 and Whole Home service.

I would also like to know about external HDD availability. I know the 8742 has an eSATA port, but have not verified functionality yet. I hate losing programs upon box failure. What I have read about 8742 is an external drive will work, but that shows automatically go there only if internal drive full. Simple fix, record news until drive full then everything would go to external drive, and upon box failure I would only lose the news. If it really works that way.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I’m with Shaw Cable and yes the internal HDD is filled first then any new recordings go to the external HDD– however my understanding is that each cable box has a unique ID that pairs with the external HDD upon formatting and if you try to use the external HDD with a new box it won’t play back the recordings made with the old box as the new box will have a different ID and will insist on re-formatting the external HDD – wiping all the old recordings.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
I’m with Shaw Cable and yes the internal HDD is filled first then any new recordings go to the external HDD– however my understanding is that each cable box has a unique ID that pairs with the external HDD upon formatting and if you try to use the external HDD with a new box it won’t play back the recordings made with the old box as the new box will have a different ID and will insist on re-formatting the external HDD – wiping all the old recordings.
"If" that happened, I wonder if the DRM could be broken and that drive connected to my network and then accessed that way to watch the recordings.

I have toyed with the idea of setting up a Media Center with multiple tuners and skipping the whole "cable company DVR" altogether. Not sure I want to do that because I already have so many connected devices. I am afraid to count them all.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Liked: 0
Have any of you been able to get 5.1 Digital audio out of this box (with TWC)? It seems like their firmware locks down access to any audio settings, so both HDMI and optical will only transmit stereo to my AVR (Pioneer VSX-45).
post #13 of 13 Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 PM

using the 3600M DVR on Oceanic Time Warner cable - HDMI out to my Yamaha 675 receiver & HDMI out from yamaha to TV (also using optical out cable) Yamaha shows doby digital on front during 5.1 shows- seems to be working in 5.1- on other hand when i stream netflix from my older Sony TV (hdl52hx909)- netflix on in 2 channel- don't see the 5.1- chatted with netflix, my TV or BDP don't support it streaming in 5.1- in process of getting new TV as my KDL70R550 TV broke & was returned to costco with full refund under their 2 yr warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders
Gear in this thread