Time Warner DVR 3 Beta (Arris DCX3600m) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Time Warner DVR 3 Beta (Arris DCX3600m)

I got into the beta program for the new DVRs from Time Warner. I think I have tracked down the model number correctly in the thread title. I figured we could use a space to discuss it.

Not sure if the UI is derived from Navigator but I suspect it is, there are some similarities. OTOH it is different enough that it is possible that it is something else.

The DVR is rather series-centric in that you can go to the page for a series and see all the recorded episodes, future episode airings and available on-demand episodes in one place.

On-demand is no longer accessed by going to channels but instead everything is available under the on-demand UI. Easiest thing is to search for the show you want and go from there. Or you can browse the categories.

One interesting choice - there are no settings. Everything is supposed to be intuitive and for the most part that's fine. Power users might be turned off by the lack of settings however (e.g. no way to adjust or turn off DVR compensation). Not sure if that will be the final result or they plan on adding them it later.

Anybody else here got their hands on one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
i picked up a DCX3600m in Honolulu from Oceanic Time Warner Cable store in late December- turned in 8742- All controls, settings, info, gui, etc are all identical to what that i had previously with the 8742 DVR.- nothing has changed. I'm really enjoying this DVR, recording 6 shows at once is great- no worries about conflicts anymore & the 1TB storage is double what i had before- Nice for $3. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 2nd 8742 in bedroom as one 3600m seems sufficient now.

I've a simple system- 18 month old sony smart TV, the DVR & yamaha 675 receiver- all connected with HDMI- had no issues with hdmi handoffs using the previously 8742 DVR. Putting the 3600m into system- two issues now- My yamaha receiver no longer turns off automatically when TV is turned off as it did previously (interestingly it does turn on when TV is turned on)- Now requires an addt'l step on remote to turn off receiver. not a big deal-

Also my Sony smart TV has netflix button on sony remote-- in past just hitting this netlfix button would turn on netflix as expected. With the 3600m in system the netflix video came on fine but no netflix audio- the audio still remained from whatever station the DVR was tuned too- (turning off dvr resulted in no audio). i ran optical audio cable from TV to receiver & now to get netflix i use a different input on receiver.- A bit more complicated to get netflix than before but not a huge deal- except wife has trouble with this. i understand the HDMI handoff issues with the DCX3600m are known issues.
post #3 of 25 Old 02-09-2015, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
i picked up a DCX3600m in Honolulu from Oceanic Time Warner Cable store in late December- turned in 8742- All controls, settings, info, gui, etc are all identical to what that i had previously with the 8742 DVR.- nothing has changed. I'm really enjoying this DVR, recording 6 shows at once is great- no worries about conflicts anymore & the 1TB storage is double what i had before- Nice for $3. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 2nd 8742 in bedroom as one 3600m seems sufficient now.

I've a simple system- 18 month old sony smart TV, the DVR & yamaha 675 receiver- all connected with HDMI- had no issues with hdmi handoffs using the previously 8742 DVR. Putting the 3600m into system- two issues now- My yamaha receiver no longer turns off automatically when TV is turned off as it did previously (interestingly it does turn on when TV is turned on)- Now requires an addt'l step on remote to turn off receiver. not a big deal-

Also my Sony smart TV has netflix button on sony remote-- in past just hitting this netlfix button would turn on netflix as expected. With the 3600m in system the netflix video came on fine but no netflix audio- the audio still remained from whatever station the DVR was tuned too- (turning off dvr resulted in no audio). i ran optical audio cable from TV to receiver & now to get netflix i use a different input on receiver.- A bit more complicated to get netflix than before but not a huge deal- except wife has trouble with this. i understand the HDMI handoff issues with the DCX3600m are known issues.
I have an LG smart TV with a soundbar - I haven't had any issues with sound. I have always used an optical cable to connect them.

Did they give you a different remote to use with the new cable box? The one they gave us is a simplified version of what we used to have. One problem is that the power button always controls both the TV and the cable box which is not always what we want. I keep meaning to try the old remote on the new box to see if it works out. I think I would be missing the 'Home' and 'DVR' buttons.

One UI thing that is getting me, if I go in through the DVR interface to a series, I only see the recordings for the series, I'd like to be able to easily get to the screen that lists all episodes including those on-demand easily. Right now the only way I know how to do that is to search first.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-11-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdec View Post
I got into the beta program for the new DVRs from Time Warner. I think I have tracked down the model number correctly in the thread title
the Arris DCX3600m model No. is a "Video Gateway" product (obviously) designed to talk to the TWC cable-box(s)/DVR-cables-box(s) family. Is TWC still using Scientific Atlanta for the DVR/cable-receiver device part of this new Beta program? Or is all new/future hardware Arris product you know?
post #5 of 25 Old 02-12-2015, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
the Arris DCX3600m model No. is a "Video Gateway" product (obviously) designed to talk to the TWC cable-box(s)/DVR-cables-box(s) family. Is TWC still using Scientific Atlanta for the DVR/cable-receiver device part of this new Beta program? Or is all new/future hardware Arris product you know?
I only have the one piece of equipment, so I'm not sure what they are using for set-ups with multiple TVs or whole house DVR.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-13-2015, 02:01 PM

the remote i got with the 3600M says RC122 on back- with TWC logo on bottom. It's the same remote that i have now for the bedroom 8742- (my orig remote for the 8742 broke & Oceanic gave me the RC122 about 18 months ago). Same remote came with 3600M.
What is missing on this remote from the prevous model is the setting button which previously allowed one to code the power button to turn on/off all units with one hit of power- Now it takes me pushing TV button then Power to turn on receiver & TV, & pushing cbl button & power to turn on DVR.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-15-2015, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrpph View Post
i picked up a DCX3600m in Honolulu from Oceanic Time Warner Cable store in late December- turned in 8742
Oceanic Time Warner Cable is an SA/Cisco cable plant system, I am pretty sure.

You had a Cisco 8742 and now have an ARRIS DCX3600m?

So is TWC using SA/Cisco CableCARDs in ARRIS (formerly Motorola) equipment? That is the only way that would work. I see the ARRIS DCX3600m is Tru2way capable, meaning it can use either SA/Cisco or ARRIS/Moto CableCARDs.

Cox is doing the same thing only in reverse, using Motorola CableCARDs in Cisco equipment in Motorola markets.

TiVo Bolt, Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Last edited by Bryan_CoxPHX; 02-15-2015 at 04:49 AM.
post #8 of 25 Old 02-17-2015, 06:11 PM

Brian- correct- i currently have a cisco 8742 in bedrm & Arris Dcx-3600m in living rm (turned in living rm cisco 8742)- i've
no idea what cable card is in either as i've never looked. I recall seeing tru2way on screen when it powers up after reset or
elec outage.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Liked: 10
I am hoping to get one of these soon. They are getting ready to roll them out here in Kansas City. I would be interested how they work with a Harmony One remote, which is what I use with my SA8742 and Whole Home service.

I would also like to know about external HDD availability. I know the 8742 has an eSATA port, but have not verified functionality yet. I hate losing programs upon box failure. What I have read about 8742 is an external drive will work, but that shows automatically go there only if internal drive full. Simple fix, record news until drive full then everything would go to external drive, and upon box failure I would only lose the news. If it really works that way.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I’m with Shaw Cable and yes the internal HDD is filled first then any new recordings go to the external HDD– however my understanding is that each cable box has a unique ID that pairs with the external HDD upon formatting and if you try to use the external HDD with a new box it won’t play back the recordings made with the old box as the new box will have a different ID and will insist on re-formatting the external HDD – wiping all the old recordings.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
I’m with Shaw Cable and yes the internal HDD is filled first then any new recordings go to the external HDD– however my understanding is that each cable box has a unique ID that pairs with the external HDD upon formatting and if you try to use the external HDD with a new box it won’t play back the recordings made with the old box as the new box will have a different ID and will insist on re-formatting the external HDD – wiping all the old recordings.
"If" that happened, I wonder if the DRM could be broken and that drive connected to my network and then accessed that way to watch the recordings.

I have toyed with the idea of setting up a Media Center with multiple tuners and skipping the whole "cable company DVR" altogether. Not sure I want to do that because I already have so many connected devices. I am afraid to count them all.
post #12 of 25 Old 06-11-2015, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have any of you been able to get 5.1 Digital audio out of this box (with TWC)? It seems like their firmware locks down access to any audio settings, so both HDMI and optical will only transmit stereo to my AVR (Pioneer VSX-45).
post #13 of 25 Old 06-11-2015, 03:26 PM

using the 3600M DVR on Oceanic Time Warner cable - HDMI out to my Yamaha 675 receiver & HDMI out from yamaha to TV (also using optical out cable) Yamaha shows doby digital on front during 5.1 shows- seems to be working in 5.1- on other hand when i stream netflix from my older Sony TV (hdl52hx909)- netflix on in 2 channel- don't see the 5.1- chatted with netflix, my TV or BDP don't support it streaming in 5.1- in process of getting new TV as my KDL70R550 TV broke & was returned to costco with full refund under their 2 yr warranty
post #14 of 25 Old 08-05-2015, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just noticed this topic and figured id contribute. One thing i discovered for those of you who have mentioned certain functions on your smart tvs or home theater setups not working after switching to this box, it's because for whatever reason Arris disabled CEC function on this box. We JUST got a new Samsung UHD tv and Home theater system right before getting this new box. And i really like the Anynet CEC functionality. However as soon as you connect this box to a setup, it completely breaks the CEC connection.
However i do have a fix for this! Check HDMI.org. If you use a small jewlers flathead screwdriver or small dental tool, locate and flatten pin 13 on each end of your hdmi cable (the one connecting your cable box to the tv) so that it doesn't make contact, and your CEC function on your other devices should be restored!
I had an extra hdmi cable laying around, so i gave it a try and my Anynet is working again! There are a few other fixes for this problem but this is the most inexpensive and direct method. Other methods involve buying and using adapters that essentially do the same thing.
post #15 of 25 Old 08-25-2015, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 135
How to download saved content off one of these boxes?

I came across this posting while doing a Google search for the Arris DCX3600-M. I have had one of these boxes since October of last year. Right now my DVR is just over 50% full and I want to figure out how to back-up or down load the saved content from this DVR so that I will not lose it if the DVR should fail.

So far I have connected the DVR to my PC via ethernet cable to see if my PC could see the hard drive in the DVR. That was a no-go. Then I plugged a portable HD into one of the USB ports to see if I could find any menu on the box that would allow me to move files from the DVR HD to the external HD. That did not work either.

So I have to believe that someone out there knows how to hack one of these boxes so that the saved programs can be backed up to a PC or hard drive.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2: 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers.
post #16 of 25 Old 09-10-2015, 03:17 PM

So no one out there knows of any practical way to download saved content off one of these DVRs?

post #17 of 25 Old 09-17-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Work in progress

I received an email in July inviting me to "sign up for a trial of our brand-new, next-generation video service. Your participation and feedback will be vital in helping us shape the future of our technology."

The Arris DCX3600-M was installed within a couple of days, so I've been living with it for almost two months now. I was never contacted by TWC for my feedback. But AVS might be a better place.

Pros:
1. Very large hard drive with lots of room for HD recordings.
2. Elegant, small remote control which lights up when it is moved or touched. It lacks the myriad (and often confusing) buttons of the old TWC remote.

Cons:

1. The Arris seems to respond faster than the old STB, but still not fast enough. For example: press '8' on the remote; eventually the TV shows the number '8' - if you're lucky. But the remote must issue a stream of IR commands for '8', because you're just as likely to get '88' or even '888'. This is especially aggravating if you're trying to input more than one number. Trying '82' might get you '82' if you're very fortunate, but it's more likely to give you '882' or '8882' or '822' - you get the idea.

2. 'Pause' and 'play' are the same button - and therefore the same IR command. As the remote issues a stream of IR commands, the chances of getting the DVR to go into 'play' mode instead of 'pause' are 50/50 (and vice-versa). This is very frustrating (and sometimes infuriating). I'm guessing the old box had identical commands for play and pause, but I never had his level of frustration.

3. A solution to these issues would be to modify the remote to issue one command at a time instead of a stream of commands. I don't know how easy it is to implement this.

4. TWC has chosen to allow only IR commands. Apparently the Arris box is capable of being controlled by Bluetooth. It's a great shame TWC chose not to activate this option.

5. The DVR menu is much changed from the one we are all familiar with - and not for the better.

a) To erase a show you have recorded but no longer want you have to press 'play' - wait for the recording to play back, then 'stop', then 'OK', then 'OK' again (for "are you sure you want to erase this?"). There is no option to simply erase the recording without going through this annoying procedure.

b) Once you have finished watching and erased a show, you will be presented with a screen listing similar shows you might want to watch. This might have seemed like a good idea to the programmer, but is instead very annoying. If I've recorded, say, a news broadcast to watch at a more convenient time, I don't need to be told about six other news shows before I'm able to continue. There should be an option to disable this "useful" feature.

c) This problem has almost been fixed, but for a time when you chose to record a program or series, the 'original' or 'original and repeats' option was either missing or hard to find. As a result I now have 14 recordings of the MTV Music Awards show. See 5a above to realize how annoying this is.

The whole DVR menu feels very clunky. I know the old menu for the Scientific Atlanta boxes was a bit outdated, but at least it was clear and easy to understand. This one needs a redesign from top to bottom.

That's it for now. I'm wondering whether to stick with this Arris or go back to the old STB with its smaller hard drive, but mush less frustrating interface.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-18-2015, 12:08 PM

My bad, I found a way to erase old recordings without going through the clumsy process I described.

Nevertheless, I don't feel the new DVR menu is an improvement.
post #19 of 25 Old 09-19-2015, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm debating to get twc in the next few weeks and they have the
arris 3600 available here for $10 extra a month.

The price is good , the description of everything looks good,
but looks like the software might be buggy or not thought out
properly.

Thanks for the write up d3193..
post #20 of 25 Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM

Another quibble:

I was wondering why I kept hitting "stop" when using the DVR controls. Then it dawned on me that the standard left to right buttons of 'fast rewind' - 'play' - 'fast forward' has been changed. On the new remote it is 'fast rewind' - 'stop' - 'play/pause' - 'fast forward'. 'Stop' has been inserted in the middle.

Most of us do not look down at the controls when operating the DVR, we know where the buttons are - except that in this case, they are not. Who thought it wold be a good idea to go against the standard layout of control buttons? And why did everyone on the deign team go along with it? Mystifying.

I'm still having a hard time making the DVR pause when I want it to play, and play when I want it to pause. It has a mind of its own.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-03-2015, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I gotten one of these boxes yesterday from the TWC store. The cable is working fine, after a few tweaks.

Needed to use a RWY connection because I didn't have a HDMI cable around. I also had to remove my DVD player from
my setup because the Arris SCX3600-M doesn't have a Cable Out coax connector. Not a real big issue because I haven't
used that DVD player for some time.

It took a couple calls to TWC to get the box "working". But unfortunately the TWC store gave me a refurbished box.
They wiped the DVR, but they didn't reset the Hard Drive properly. It shows the DVR as 100% full.

I'm supposed to have a "new" box shipped out to me by Mon/Tue though FedEx, and return this one. Which is fine I guess.

But is it was possible for me to reset the drive myself?
After a bit of searching I found a way to get to the settings.

https://www.samkear.com/hardware/tim...rris-dcx3600-m

Is there something there I can change to get the DVR to work?
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

**Updated Info**

TWC/FedEx torture can be read here: Time Warner DVR 3 Beta (Arris DCX3600m)

Last edited by IN2tvClassics; 10-07-2015 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Updated info.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where is the IR sensor on this device? I can't locate it.

SA8300HD
TWC Rochester, NY
Navigator
Western Digital WD10EACS 1TB Hard Drive
Antec Veris MX-1 enclosure (Apricorn eSATA enclosure died)
LG 42LC2D 42" LCD
Harmony 670 remote
post #23 of 25 Old 11-05-2015, 05:41 PM

There are two options:

1) An IR input jack on the back of the box.
2) On the front face panel the sensor is about 1/2 inch up from the bottom edge of the box, and 3" to 3-3/4" inches from the left edge or 8-3/4" to 9-1/2" from the right edge of the box.

If you shine a bright flashlight at the face panel you will see the sensor, it is a red oval.

post #24 of 25 Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Just arranged for my girlfriend in Hawaii to upgrade her Oceanic Time Warner Cable service from "74-channel standard cable" tripleplay (with no digital boxes, simply coax from wall into each of her two TV's). The 1-year promotional prices they're offering were simply staggering.

(1) Add additional 115-channel digital variety pack -> $4

(2) Add enhanced DCX3600-M (6 tuners, 2GB hard drive) whole-home DVR and service -> $4.99

(3) Add second room "satellite" STB -> $5.

(4) one year EPIX and SHO -> $0

Installation -> $18.99, HDMI cables provided by TWC

Upgrade of current Arris DOCSIS 2.0 telephony modem (rented at $8/month) supporting 15Mbps download to new Arris DOCSIS 3.0 modem supporting new "standard" 50Mbps download while the installer is doing the DVR upgrade install -> $0

Total increase in monthly charge -> about $15!!! From nothing and no premium channels to Digital Variety Pack plus 2GB 6-tuner whole-home DVR service, EPIX and SHO, for $15. Now THAT's a promotional rate.

From what I've read it looks like the standard remote which is being issued is the RC122, which I don't believe has a "SETUP" button to permit programming EFC codes like "30-second skip", etc..

So I just bought two new Atlas 5-device UEI 1056B01 remotes on eBay for her, which I've read are still compatible with the DCX3600 and DO have the necessary "SETUP" button to support programming "30-second skip". I know I continued to use them myself here with TWC/LA with all of my assorted Motorola boxes over the years, even though TWC/LA stopped giving them out. I simply never turned them in as I progressively upgraded DVR boxes to newer larger models.
post #25 of 25 Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody else experience a software downgrade on these boxes recently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders