Looking to record and watch elsewhere clear QAM - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-26-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to record and watch elsewhere clear QAM

I am in need of recording a HD clear QAM channel.
I would like to record about 6 to 8 hours a week one HD clear QAM channel from one location to play in another.
I have a homeworx HW-150PVR unit I could use and get a second one at the other place? I read there is a flash that will record QAM?
I don't mind buying something else as long as I keep it to one unit and/or under $150.

In the past I used a DVD recorder when it was analog and that worked out fine. I still have the recorder and it works.

Thanks for any ideas you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 113
You could still use a DVDR, either purchase a new(if you could find one) model with a digital tuner, if it's digital it should also work with QAM, that or use a QAM tuner to feed your current DVDRs line input, and record that.
Probably the cheapest option to record QAM, and HD at that, would be a iView. The iView is almost identical to the Homeworx except the iView doesn't require a special firmware to get QAM, it should work out of the box. Add a USB HDD and you'd be good to go. At your other location(where you want to play your recordings) you could get another iView(or Homeworx) or even something like a Roku media player. What the iView records is standard MGEP2 and basically any media player with a USB input should be able to play it. I say should because apparently both the iView and Homeworx's QAM tuning ability is a bit quirky. Some people say it works fine while others either can't tune the channels(that their TVs tune just fine) or if the cable system is doing something odd with it's PSIP you may not get correct time, which makes unattended recordings rather hit or miss. If you go that route I'd suggest trying it for a while, if it doesn't work in your case then just return it/them, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
The DVDR method I spoke of first would not be HD, you could record a HD channel but the resulting DVD would be only 480i SD.
post #3 of 4 Old Today, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if I record on the iView will the Homeworx play the file? Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yes, it's a standard unencrypted MPEG file that the Homeworx or just about any media player will play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page