JVC HM-DH 5U HDMI Audio Issue - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC HM-DH 5U HDMI Audio Issue

Hey guys, I have browsed the forums and found a lot of threads discussing issues with the HDMI port on the JVC HM-DH 5U D-VHS VCR.

I have 2 of them that I've been using component outputs on and recently tried the HDMI ports. Video comes through on both, however, there is no audio coming through the HDMI cable. I've tested multiple cables and multiple devices. The JVC device is the only one that doesn't deliver audio to the TV. I also tried 2 TVs, but they're both Samsungs, but also, the JVC did not deliver audio to either TV, while other devices (DVD Player) worked just fine.

Is there a magic setting in the Main Menu? I don't see any options for editing the audio output signal from the JVC device. I am trying to control the JVC's HDMI audio output and change it from Dolby Digital to PCM audio. I can't figure out how to do it from the Instruction Manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrech View Post
Hey guys, I have browsed the forums and found a lot of threads discussing issues with the HDMI port on the JVC HM-DH 5U D-VHS VCR.

I have 2 of them that I've been using component outputs on and recently tried the HDMI ports. Video comes through on both, however, there is no audio coming through the HDMI cable. I've tested multiple cables and multiple devices. The JVC device is the only one that doesn't deliver audio to the TV. I also tried 2 TVs, but they're both Samsungs, but also, the JVC did not deliver audio to either TV, while other devices (DVD Player) worked just fine.

Is there a magic setting in the Main Menu? I don't see any options for editing the audio output signal from the JVC device. I am trying to control the JVC's HDMI audio output and change it from Dolby Digital to PCM audio. I can't figure out how to do it from the Instruction Manual.

Don't bother with the HDMI's on the 5U's or DT100's, they rarely work reliably. Sometimes you can find the right combination of 5U and TV but even then you will get many more video and audio breakups than you would with component and optical. And trying to pass HDMI through a receiver is almost always an exercise in frustration.
post #3 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks man, that's good advice.

Sounds like I might have made the right decision and not sent this thing into JVC's authorized service center.

It would cost me $50 for them to look at it, plus shipping both ways. Plus, they are doubtful they'd be able to fix it so I could just waste $100 there. If they could fix it, I fear they would try to gouge me for about $500 more to replace the circuitboard. Even then, it sounds like it still might not work with my TV.

Because this is what I found from Samsung:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...name=LN-T4671F

Which is why I was trying to tweak the 5U's settings. But there are really no settings to tweak. Ha, talk about an exercise in frustration....
post #4 of 7 Old Today, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrech View Post
Thanks man, that's good advice.

Sounds like I might have made the right decision and not sent this thing into JVC's authorized service center.

It would cost me $50 for them to look at it, plus shipping both ways. Plus, they are doubtful they'd be able to fix it so I could just waste $100 there. If they could fix it, I fear they would try to gouge me for about $500 more to replace the circuitboard. Even then, it sounds like it still might not work with my TV.

Because this is what I found from Samsung:

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/...name=LN-T4671F

Which is why I was trying to tweak the 5U's settings. But there are really no settings to tweak. Ha, talk about an exercise in frustration....
And they liquidated their stock of brand new units they used for service replacements back around 2010. I knew the guy who grabbed them and sold them on ebay and i bought 2 new 5u's from him.....slaw* something or other was his username.
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its been a while since I messed around with HDMI on my JVC's but I'm thinking the optical out audio settings had some effect on it. Did you change the optical settings from stream to Dolby D or 2 channel PCM to see if it fixed your HDMI audio?
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I tried that. And then I retried it. And retried it again. Seems like I've tried everything. And for two of these JVC units to perform the exact same way, makes me feel like there is some sort of incompatibility with my TV more than something wrong with the JVC devices.

Is there even such a thing as HDMI incompatibility? I got my TV in 2011, so the gap between the JVC and the TV is what, 7 years? Would that make a difference? I wish I had another TV to test.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 67
hen HDMI first came out compatability was horrible and as I recall the HDMI consortium had to scramble to put together compatability tests in a hurry as consumer frustration became apparent and this threatened it's adoption. Your dvhs deck came out around that time. Sucks but that is how the industry rolled out the flawed implementation. Now things are much better but both devices have to agree to talk to each other on the cable and the jvc is finicky. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders