DVBLink - Turn your NAS or PC into personal TV server! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 203 Old 03-02-2015, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 284
DVBLink - Turn your NAS or PC into personal TV server!

Our range of DVBLink products for NAS, PC and Raspberry Pi platforms offers everything you need to enjoy your favorite Satellite (DVB-S/S2), Cable (DVB-C and QAM), Terrestrial (DVB-T/T2 and ATSC), IPTV and Analog TV channels and recordings within your home network and on the go!

• Record your favorite TV programs in original quality directly to the local hard disk of your NAS, PC or Raspberry Pi
  • Watch live and recorded TV, browse EPG, manage timer recordings on the home network or while you are on the go using free DVBLink apps for iOS and Android mobile devices and feature-rich web interface
  • Access live and recorded TV content within your home network with DLNA clients
  • Watch live and recorded TV in XBMC running on Windows, Linux, Mac or embedded platforms
  • Stream live and recorded TV to PCs, running Windows MediaCenter
  • Get the most complete program information for your TV channels and personalised TV recommendations with DVBLink TV Adviser products

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have run across this product on several occasions but never gave it as much as a passing thought. A while back it came up in a thread and I went ahead and gave it a look. I installed it (as a look see) and on the surface it appeared to work great. Now I have installed it on another NAS and I'm actually seeing if it could replace WMC. Now I know it could from the little testing I have done using Kodi on the client side.

Rather I'm trying to find out exactly how many gotchas there are compared to WMC. I'm guessing too many that I won't switch but I have an open mind and I'm willing to see if it's possible. The one issue I have is to really test it I need to dedicated all four of my tuners to it to see how it handles time overlaps, conflict resolution and all of the little things that make DVRing hands free. Not a VCR.

I'm not willing to sacrifice all of my scheduled recordings (via WMC) to see how it handles all of these issues. However I have it up and running with all four tuners and I'll play around as much as I can. With this in mind I'm wondering if anyone is using it and what is their experience? I'm going to do some serious "Googling" into the various items but starting a thread here can be helpful.

I'll update the post if and when I learn about the little pictures.

Guide data:

You can rely on OTA data which may or may not be successful based on your location. In my case I'll use Perc Data. It's installed via the DVBLink Server. To map your channels go to Sources - EPG sources and click on PercData add. It will link to creating an account (7 day trial available). Once the account is setup and you have selected your Lineup go to Channels - EPG sources - and select Perc Data under available EPG sources. Then simply match your channels and you are done.

Items of note:

• Don't let the fact this is NAS based scare you off. You can purchase a ReadyNAS with more than enough power for under a hundred dollars (if you catch a good sale). And the installation of DVBLink is 100% browser based. You don't need to know SSH, vi or even know how to spell geek.
  • If you select live TV or recordings and they don't play you might try using authorization. I used the same username/password as my NAS' admin account. You enter this under DVBLink Configurations - Settings. Be sure to enter the same credentials in the DVBLink Add-on under General. It's probably not required but can't hurt. I was using a Beta copy of Kodi at the time and ended up installing the current release and all was fine. At a later date I installed Beta (15.x) and worked this time without issue.
  • Back to back recordings on the same channel - With a start time of one minute before and five minutes after if you schedule back to back recordings on the same channel it appears to truncate the first recording by not recording the additional five minutes. The second recording doesn't record the one minute before. So the first recording gets one minute added to the beginning and the second five minutes at the end. Note: if there is a free tuner DVBLink record the overlap time in both recordings.
  • New episodes - This features is based on shows that have already been recorded and or deleted. Versus a new flag in the guide data. My understanding is it will record repeats if you haven't already recorded or deleted it previously. I haven't tested this feature yet and if I'm wrong please let me know!
  • Kodi - Client for viewing and managing your installation
  • OpenELEC - Self-contained Linux OS with Kodi
  • Titan MediaBrowser - Favorite Kodi skin
  • My NAS is configured to power on at 6 pm and power off at 2 am. The clients use WoL (Wake on LAN) for access during off hours

Current Status

I stopped using WMC a while back after roughly three years and began DVBLinking. Reliability has been 100%. Bottom line I gave up some recording intelligence and gained the ability to record OTA without using a PC.

Up front this wouldn't be my first generic recommendation. That would probably be TiVo or WMC. However it just might be the perfect recommendation if you happen to fall into the growing niche of NAS users who have cut the cord. If you fit into this group (and perhaps a few others) I highly recommend the solution.

Installation:

• QNAP HS-210 (low-end NAS) - DVBLink requires very little horsepower - handles four concurrent recordings while streaming to two clients
  • DVBLink TV Source and EPG Loader for PercData - 45 euros via Paypal
  • PercData - 30 dollars annually
  • Kodi/OpenELEC - Dell PC (J1800) - Titan MediaBrowser (remote configured)
  • Kodi/OpenELEC - HP Chromebox (Celeron) - Titan MediaBrowser (remote configured)
  • Kodi/Windows 8.1 - Dell PC (i3) - Titan MediaBrowser (mouse configured)
  • HDHomeRun OTA Tuners - two network based units for a total of four tuners

Impressions

I had a few concerns when I began testing. First and foremost how reliable is it in handling recordings. This has proven to be a non issue. As it simply records what's scheduled and being self-contained it isn't affected by my viewing clients in any manner.

Next was the user interface. I had my doubts as I have in the past casually used Kodi with ServerWMC and never felt comfortable. This was addressed with the suggestion of trying the Titan MediaBrowser skin. It required a couple hours of configuring but afterwards it made all of the difference in the world. I went from being uncomfortable to preferring it over WMC... quite the transformation.

Last was its ability to handle scheduling of series such as first run, repeats and all of the intelligence that makes a DVR far superior to a VCR. Unfortunately I found this aspect lacking to a degree. Some of it is DVBLink's approach versus WMC and some is it's not as sophisticated. Details are discussed throughout this thread. However it wasn't enough of a drawback to stop me from switching as to a large degree I was ready for a change and I am gaining a few things to offset my few "losses"

After several weeks I have no regrets and I find the ability to do maintenance in my browser (although a little slow) very handy. Especially since the Kodi Add-on lacks a few features and you are required to use DVBLink at times.

I would recommend anyone in the club (NAS and recording OTA) to give it a try. Free trials are available for DVBLink and the guide data. Installation is extremely easy. In a few hours you'll have a pretty good understanding of what's possible and more than likely be fairly impressed.

I just installed a ReadyNAS from scratch. Installing the OS, configuring the NAS, installing and configuring MySQL (for Kodi database libraries) and finally installing the two DVBLink apps took well less than an hour. Now I made a backup of DVBLink's configuration (Source and Channel data) from the QNAP of which I restored and instantly DVBLink was ready to roll. I just need to schedule recordings and such. If you don't have a backup I'd guess another hour for fighting your way there the various screens. If it's your first time playing with a NAS I'd say half to a full day of tweak time for the NAS and DVBLink with a couple of what the heck moments... of which I'm sure I can almost help.

The ReadyNAS has a much more powerful CPU (although it's a much older model) and the DVBLink browser pages fly by compared to the "lowly" QNAP model.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	125
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	578217   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp1.png
Views:	132
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	580657   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempa.png
Views:	129
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	580665   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempb.png
Views:	117
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	580937   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempc.png
Views:	110
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	580945  

Name:	DVBLinka.png
Views:	2460
Size:	892.4 KB
ID:	621969  

Last edited by Charles R; 03-25-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 203 Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Back End Installation

My installation is NAS based although you can use a PC. Installation is handled very nicely and only takes a few minutes.

• DVBLink Server - Free - This gives you access to the DVBLink packages. It oversees the install, licensing, uninstall, etc.
  • DVBLink TVSource - See 1st post for pricing. This is the recording app itself. Note there are different versions for different types of CPUs and NAS vendors.
  • DVBLink EPG Loader for PercData - See 1st post for pricing - This is the guide data interface.
  • PercData - See 1st post for pricing - Annual guide data subscription.

Both packages comes with a free trial and you can activate them from the DVBLink server (no need to go to their site and sign-up, etc). I believe the trial period is 20 days. PercData offers a free 7 day trial.

Configuration is completely browser based and fairly snappy on my very low end NAS (used for testing). It's pretty straight forward such as adding your tuners (mine were automatically found) and channels. It allows you to copy the line-up from tuner to tuner so it's rather fast. There aren't a lot of settings and I haven't found a need yet to dig into them. The guide is rather Plain Jane although based on some shots I have seen it can be customized to some degree. I need to spend some quality time here as it appears where most of the work goes on.

Overall you can get everything up and running just following your instincts. At this point you are ready to configure Kodi and start watching TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	149
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	578649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	147
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	578657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled3.png
Views:	140
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	578665   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled4.png
Views:	121
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	578673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled5.png
Views:	135
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	578681  

ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; 03-24-2015 at 06:06 AM.
post #3 of 203 Old 03-02-2015, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Client Installation

I'll be using Kodi and support for DVBLink is included in the naive installation. All you have to do is enable the Add-on (and configure) then turn on TV support. Under Add-on configuration entered the NAS' IP address under General and under Stream be sure to select Enable Timeshift so you'll be able to pause the video ("trick play features"). Once the Add-on has been configured and enabled to go System - TV - General and select Enabled.

At this point you should be good to go. If it isn't working be sure to check that the Add-on has been enabled. At times I have found it not being enabled at first. Once working this never appears to be an issue.

Once I was up and running I installed the Titan MediaBrowser skin. It has so many options it's a little daunting at first such as turning off/on mouse support makes a big difference in how it operates (and looks). I couldn't figure out how to delete recordings with my remote until I disabled mouse support than magically it was second nature. I have it configured one way for my desktop and another for my "official" clients that only use a remote. Right now those are a Windows PC (my old WMC server) and a Chromebox. You can backup the skin settings and restore them rather easily on another client. Even from Windows to OpenELEC or vice versa.

Highly recommend the skin as you can pretty much remove the PC look and end-up with a nice looking standalone interface. The images attached below are with mouse support enabled and aren't quite as slick looking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled1.png
Views:	188
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	578689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	171
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	578697   Click image for larger version

Views:	158
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	578705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled4.png
Views:	206
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	578713   Click image for larger version

Views:	175
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	579089  

Name:	a1.png
Views:	146
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	589018   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.png
Views:	152
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	589026   Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.png
Views:	153
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	589034   Click image for larger version

Name:	a4.png
Views:	150
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	589042   Click image for larger version

Name:	a5.png
Views:	124
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	589050  

ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; 03-23-2015 at 09:38 PM.
post #4 of 203 Old 03-02-2015, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Related Topics

Kodi MySQL library database

Since you already have a NAS and more than likely using Kodi as one or more clients why not put the NAS to further good use. You can easily store your Kodi's Video and Music library in one central location (your NAS!) This way your collection will automatically show up with new clients and be updated when changes occur. The only gotcha is to share the same library each Kodi installation has to be running the same release.

Installation is rather straight forward however it does vary based on the NAS vendor. I have use QNAP and ReadyNAS with QNAP being a little easier. I didn't have to use SSH at all. Although with ReadyNAS it was simply editing one file. A easy to follow reference can be found here. There are four steps...

• Install MySQL Server on the NAS - look under Apps.
  • Install PHPMyAdmin on the NAS - look under Apps.
  • Configure MySQL Server.
  • Create and or edit the advancedsettings.xml for each Kodi client.

The above reference covers each step and one suggestion is to simply cut/paste the MySQL commands. First time it might take an hour to fight your way through the entire process. Afterwards well under half an hour and only a few minutes to setup each Kodi installation. You can use PHP MyAdmin to check the status of your process. Such as if the databases have been created and have they been updated to reflect your files.

Kodi creates a separate database for each version. Currently I have one for 14.2 and 15. You can simple delete the unused databases as you upgrade Kodi. Much like DVBLink I have seen this discussed and never gave it much thought. Now that I have I wish I had way back then.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled5.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	578729   Click image for larger version

Views:	118
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	580273   Click image for larger version

Views:	113
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	580305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled8.png
Views:	110
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	580569   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02235a.JPG
Views:	1822
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	621953  

Name:	DSC02228a-002.JPG
Views:	1845
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	621961  
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; 04-01-2015 at 07:13 AM.
post #5 of 203 Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for starting this thread. I'm currently splitting backend time between DVBlink running on Synology DS412+ and ServerWMC but will likely be transitioning completely to running DVBlink on NAS as I think it makes a lot of sense. While ServerWMC is free and includes EPG data via WMC it does require running a PC 24/7. Thus far my experience has been that DVBlink changes channels slightly faster than WMC and that FF/RW through timeshifted material is smoother. Thus far I haven't had any issue with failed recordings although I need to do some more testing with conflict resolution.

Rick
post #6 of 203 Old 03-03-2015, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Thus far I haven't had any issue with failed recordings although I need to do some more testing with conflict resolution.
This week during the day when the cat is away (WMC hibernating) I'm going to schedule various recordings to see what happens. First to see if it can handle the load of four concurrent and back to back recordings. Then I'll check out the user interface. My test NAS is very under powered so if it can handle it virtually anything can. It's a 2-bay unit no bigger than the drives themselves. If it works out I'll be upgrading the NAS.

Four recording followed by four worked great. I figured out some of the recordings features and updated the first post. Next up I want to change the skip back from thirty seconds to eight... shouldn't be hard (just saw in Kodi 15 you can change these setting from the GUI). Right now I can simply turn the service off at the NAS and reboot the WMC PC to ensure they don't step on each other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02169a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	580281  

Last edited by Charles R; 03-03-2015 at 09:08 PM.
post #7 of 203 Old 03-04-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If anyone is curious about the PercData data quality, it is the same Gracenote (formerly Tribune) data feed used by Schedules Direct.

If you're familiar with Schedules Direct, you'll be right at home. PercData is a fork of SD to allow use with commercial products. Gracenote wanted to keep limiting SD to non-commercial use, but allowed a (much smaller) fork, to provide a solution for small commercial users.

Robert
President, Schedules Direct
Co-owner of PercData
clarkss12 likes this.

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #8 of 203 Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Been too busy to play around much but so far so far. The recordings have been solid. I updated Kodi to 15 Alpha and everything appears to still work. With this version you can set Skip Forward and Skip Back settings a number of ways. Rather hard to explain... but it's rather slick. Since 2000 and TiVo it's a biggie for me!
post #9 of 203 Old 03-06-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Full speed ahead

I'm tired of viewing test recordings so I've promoted DVBLogic to active duty. Not quite ready to drop WMC but I'm going to let this guy prove itself. I still think the user interface isn't as slick although I won't really know until I give it a real test. My daily viewing. Tonight there are only two shows scheduled so I'll see how that works out. More than likely nothing scheduled for Saturday and if all goes well I'll give it Sunday. Typically a busy night.

If I make it until my PercData trial expires I'll probably sign up and commit 100%... it's only TV. I have been impressed by the low end NAS. It appears to have no issues handling the activity although it's only going to get worse as I throw it some real action. I thought I would have to upgrade the NAS but now I'm thinking this guy can do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	586761  
post #10 of 203 Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Full speed ahead

I'm tired of viewing test recordings so I've promoted DVBLogic to active duty. Not quite ready to drop WMC but I'm going to let this guy prove itself. I still think the user interface isn't as slick although I won't really know until I give it a real test. My daily viewing. Tonight there are only two shows scheduled so I'll see how that works out. More than likely nothing scheduled for Saturday and if all goes well I'll give it Sunday. Typically a busy night.

If I make it until my PercData trial expires I'll probably sign up and commit 100%... it's only TV. I have been impressed by the low end NAS. It appears to have no issues handling the activity although it's only going to get worse as I throw it some real action. I thought I would have to upgrade the NAS but now I'm thinking this guy can do it.
Running DVBLink on a NAS is a very good option for a PVR, especially when running one of the inexpensive Android boxes as a client. Each client on the network has the abilities and capabilities from the server on the NAS. In other words each box connected to different TV's will have the same pause/play and fast forward and also recording function on each box.. Also with kodi you get most of the streaming services, ex. Netflix hulu and streaming files locally.

One step better, is to port DVBLink to one of the quad core Amlogic TV boxes, they are 5 tmes faster than an older nas is. I have a $35 Amlogic on order and it will be a PVR server tvheaded. I asked DVBLink if they would port their software to Amlogic said they did have the time right now.

I can live with tvheadend's short Cummings because it is sooooon fast. Channel changing is only 2 seconds, and the guide loads real fast. The search function is fast and a lot of options.

Here is the one I have on order, it will be faster than the one I am using now,
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808...ck-313213.html
post #11 of 203 Old 03-06-2015, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
One step better, is to port DVBLink to one of the quad core Amlogic TV boxes, they are 5 tmes faster than an older nas is.
I'm not so sure for several reasons.

• I haven't found any performance issues with my NAS - and it's under powered.
  • I don't like to rely on clients (if you are going to use it as such too). They tend to be messed with the most and I wouldn't be comfortable with it to record my wife's show.
  • If you are going to use a dedicated box you need to purchase it and possible storage space.
  • I already have the NAS for file serving not to mention the available storage space. One central location for all my data with redundancy to boot.

I don't see any advantages for me... someone else who knows.

Last edited by Charles R; 03-06-2015 at 08:12 PM.
post #12 of 203 Old 03-06-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'm not so sure for several reasons.

• I haven't found any performance issues with my NAS - and it's under powered.
  • I don't like to rely on clients (if you are going to use it as such too). They tend to be messed with the most and I wouldn't be comfortable with it to record my wife's show.
  • If you are going to use a dedicated box you need to purchase it and possible storage space.
  • I already have the NAS for file serving not to mention the available storage space. One central location for all my data with redundancy to boot.

I don't see any advantages for me... someone else who knows.
Well, I have been using my NAS for 3 or 4 years as a a PVR backend server for my tv clients and it worked well. These newer Android boxes are very very powerful compared to my nas, so having these boxes as a PVR server they are very fast and easy to set up. I can record to the the NAS or hard drive or memory stick.
post #13 of 203 Old 03-06-2015, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
I can live with tvheadend's short Cummings because it is sooooon fast.
I can't. We simply have different outlooks. I haven't even bought into the Android boxes (yet). Always seems like the one just about to ship will be the one...
post #14 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 07:57 AM
RTK
AVS Special Member

The idea of backend/frontend running on same box is interesting but I have my doubts about using an Amlogic Android box as a server for multiple displays and multiple simultaneous recordings without dropping frames. TVH also can't do series recording which is deal breaker for many people. Using DVBlink as backend on NAS, EPG loads instantly and channel changing speed is 2-3 seconds which isn't a significant difference from backend/frontend on single box. A while back I found a post (Kodi forum?) from someone who had setup openELEC/Kodi/DVBlink on a Chromebox and suspect this in combination with Android box(s) could function analogous to a Tivo with minis for OTA. I already a have a Chromebox and if I didn't have a NAS I might be tempted to try this out however keeping on all recordings centralized on NAS with Terabytes of storage makes more sense than using an USB drive plugged into the box acting as DVBlink server. I do think the (third party) openELEC support for the Amlogic Android boxes has improved to the point at which I will getting one to try out as a Kodi PVR client.

I've had a NAS for while and while I knew in the back of my mind it could function as a PVR backend, its something I never really considered doing. I suspect this is the case for many NAS owners.

Rick

Last edited by RTK; 03-07-2015 at 12:25 PM.
post #15 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I've had a NAS for while and while I knew in the back of my mind it could function as a PVR backend, its something I never really considered doing. I suspect this is the case for many NAS owners.
I was of the same mindset. I thought there were simply too many gotchas and DVRing isn't where you want gotchas! I have my NAS scheduled to turn off at 2 am and wake up at 6 pm and I can use Wake-on-LAN if I need access at other times. I like that none of my viewing devices are tied into recordings. With WMC I have been using the WMC PC for my main viewing. It works great but there are always times you would like to reboot, reconfigure something or whatnot. This way the entire recording process is handled by a single device and regardless of what viewing issues I may have it has zero effect on my recordings.

By the way thanks for the Titan MediaBrowser recommendation. I like it and it brings enough of a difference to Kodi it feels fresh. Having something new makes the possible switch a little more enticing. I posted a few images of the skin in action in the Client Installation post.

Last edited by Charles R; 03-07-2015 at 11:39 AM.
post #16 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 12:18 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Glad you are liking Titan. I'm typically not someone who cares much about skins, but when using Kodi as PVR frontend, Titan allows you configure the Kodi interface to your preference including hiding those features/options which the you decide are not relevant giving it more of a STB feel. While I may like default (confluence) skin on my PC, on the TVs which are accessed by everyone else in the house simpler is often better.

Your comments about occasional need to reboot the PC is one factor which lead me toward switching to DVBlink from ServerWMC. Thus far DVBlink runs on NAS in background painlessly.

Rick
post #17 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 12:23 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Charles, nice screen shots but you need to add some channel logos

Rick
post #18 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Your comments about occasional need to reboot the PC is one factor which lead me toward switching to DVBlink from ServerWMC.
It hasn't been an issue for me. So much so for roughly two years I used my desktop as the WMC Server. I simply used dual displays and never lost a recording because of it. One worry I do have is what issues I might run into when the NAS' firmware/OS is updated. I know recently they released a Beta update for ReadyNAS and it stopped DVBLogic from being installed and or working.

Do I freeze the NAS or take my chances... I will say in the three years Windows never touched my WMC installation. It simply motors on. It's one of my concerns.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #19 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 12:44 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

I have my NAS set to notify me when an update is available so I can decide when to the update but a NAS firmware update always has possiblity of affecting backend software. I'm guessing over time you ran your WMC PC, there had to be OS updates from MS which required a reboot. While its sounds like you were never affected, there have been Win7 updates which have affected WMC users.

Rick
post #20 of 203 Old 03-07-2015, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm guessing over time you ran your WMC PC, there had to be OS updates from MS which required a reboot.
Sure, monthly. I meant with all of the updates that were installed none of them affected WMC in anyway. Yeah I think Windows 7 had an extender issue that was resolved a few days after it occurred. Even TiVo broke Internet streaming back when I had it. Netflix would reboot the box (at times) and it wasn't resolved for several weeks or months.
post #21 of 203 Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A weekend of recordings did nothing to talk me out of switching. Biggest issue is getting used to the remote's layout (harmony). I keep hitting the wrong button. Such as skip to the end of the recording instead of skip 30 seconds. I did notice the image looks a little better. Either scaling 720p to 1080p or deinterlacing 1080i Kodi just seems to do it better. That's a nice bonus.

I have spend quality time with Kodi 15 (via Windows) and Kodi 14 (OpenELEC) on the same PC. I use a flash drive to boot OpenELEC. If I flip the USB drive out it boots Windows off the hard drive... covering both bases for now.

By the midweek I'll decide to punt WMC or DVBLink...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	99
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	592890  
post #22 of 203 Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

DVBlink EPG is missing information regarding whether an episode is "repeat" or "new" Is this a limitation of EPG data or DVBlink?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WMC EPG.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	597569   Click image for larger version

Name:	MCE box.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	597577   Click image for larger version

Name:	dvblink missing.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	597617   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmc new.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	597633   Click image for larger version

Name:	dvblink missing new.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	597641  

Rick

Last edited by RTK; 03-11-2015 at 03:36 PM.
post #23 of 203 Old 03-11-2015, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is this a limitation of EPG data or DVBlink?
My understanding is they use the same data as Schedules Direct which I believe has a flag for New/Repeat...

http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/vi...epeat%27#p6429

Last edited by Charles R; 03-11-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #24 of 203 Old 03-11-2015, 06:17 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Its looks like Schedules Direct marks episodes as new based upon info provided from the station although does that information include original episode air date or just that its a new/repeat episode? As in the screen capture above, the EPG in WMC and many other DVRs includes the original episode air date.

Rick
post #25 of 203 Old 03-11-2015, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
If anyone is curious about the PercData data quality, it is the same Gracenote (formerly Tribune) data feed used by Schedules Direct.
Quote:
Its looks like Schedules Direct marks episodes as new based upon info provided from the station although does that information include original episode air date or just that its a new/repeat episode?
If I'm not mistaken they get their data from the same source as TiVo so in theory "everything" should be available. Now whether it's being captured and made available is another story.

http://www.gracenote.com/case_studies/tivo/
post #26 of 203 Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 PM

Here is a sample of the data that is generated by Schedules Direct, the same information will be provided by PercData.

<programme start="20150323230000 -0400" stop="20150323233500 -0400" channel="I62.1.20376.schedulesdirect.org">
<title lang="en">Two and a Half Men</title>
<sub-title lang="en">It Was Mame, Mom</sub-title>
<desc lang="en">When a gay ad executive invites Charlie to a cocktail party, Charlie makes Alan go with him, as his gay partner.</desc>
<credits>
<actor>Charlie Sheen</actor>
<actor>Jon Cryer</actor>
<actor>Angus T. Jones</actor>
<actor>Marin Hinkle</actor>
<actor>Holland Taylor</actor>
<actor>Melanie Lynskey</actor>
<guest>Lucy Lawless</guest>
<guest>David Starzyk</guest>
<guest>Nick Toth</guest>
<guest>Dayna Devon</guest>
<producer>Chuck Lorre</producer>
<producer>Lee Aronsohn</producer>
<producer>Eric Tannenbaum</producer>
<producer>Kim Tannenbaum</producer>
<producer>Mark Burg</producer>
<producer>Oren Koules</producer>
<director>Pamela Fryman</director>
<writer>Chuck Lorre</writer>
<writer>Lee Aronsohn</writer>
</credits>
<date>20050307</date>
<category lang="en">Series</category>
<category lang="en">Sitcom</category>
<episode-num system="onscreen">42</episode-num>
<episode-num system="dd_progid">EP00592733.0043</episode-num>
<video>
<aspect>16:9</aspect>
<quality>HDTV</quality>
</video>
<audio>
<stereo>stereo</stereo>
</audio>
<previously-shown start="20050307000000" />
<subtitles type="teletext" />
<rating system="VCHIP">
<value>TV-14</value>
</rating>
</programme>
post #27 of 203 Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Clarkss's dump is XMLTV format, but the raw data is similar.

Gracenote does mark episodes as new, but they also provide an Original Air Date field. I'm not sure which field(s) DVBLink uses in the data.

Robert

---
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing in PERL!
post #28 of 203 Old 03-12-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden View Post
Clarkss's dump is XMLTV format, but the raw data is similar.

Gracenote does mark episodes as new, but they also provide an Original Air Date field. I'm not sure which field(s) DVBLink uses in the data.

Robert
Thanks for that information.
post #29 of 203 Old 03-12-2015, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Scheduling options are being covered/addressed at DVBLink's forum... and will more than likely end up in Feature requests.
post #30 of 203 Old 03-12-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2156 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Thanks for the link in the Kodi thread and the heads-up on this DVBLink....although I'm not sure I quite understand how it works.

I have DirecTV...I'm assuming the NAS/DVBLink setup will only work with over-the-air tuners or cable-card tuners, correct?

If it only works with over-the-air, it would at least be one more step to cutting the cord . Do you install the tuner cards in the NAS or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders