Switching from Media Center to PLEX - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By marjamar
post #1 of 24 Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Switching from Media Center to PLEX

Hello People. Just curious enough to ask, how many of you might be using PLEX now, having been using Windows Media Center. I've been searching for a more universal media server for my new home theater I am currently building and so far this is the best option I can see to link all of my content and TV to my BD player, multiple computers, phones, tablets, and external internet. I really do want to have the ability to "reach" my server wherever I might be and for sure want it to a common (or nearly common) GUI interface.

Have been using a Hauppauge HVR-2255 PCI card for TV/Recording via WMC, but since I cannot get live TV from this card into PLEX, I have a TABLO 4 Tuner OTA/DVR on the way.

So anyone doing anything like this? If not, how are you configured?

Thanks.

-Rodger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjamar View Post
Hello People. Just curious enough to ask, how many of you might be using PLEX now, having been using Windows Media Center. I've been searching for a more universal media server for my new home theater I am currently building and so far this is the best option I can see to link all of my content and TV to my BD player, multiple computers, phones, tablets, and external internet. I really do want to have the ability to "reach" my server wherever I might be and for sure want it to a common (or nearly common) GUI interface.

Have been using a Hauppauge HVR-2255 PCI card for TV/Recording via WMC, but since I cannot get live TV from this card into PLEX, I have a TABLO 4 Tuner OTA/DVR on the way.

So anyone doing anything like this? If not, how are you configured?

Thanks.

-Rodger
Rodger-

I have and use Plex and Kodi, but not WMC. Plex is great, fairly flexible and easy to use. If you plan to stream to lots of devices then the server should be on a powerful enough machine to do so. You may want to read up on that. Plex with transcode the video for the device it's serving if there isn't native support for the format. More detail in the Plex forums.

If you have a newer TV many have the ability to use a Plex client. You can also use a ROKU box and buy a Plex client App for $4.99. You obviously know the PC, Linux and Mac client's are free. iOS clients are also $4.99, I believe.

It's a good option for you personal media.

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #3 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 560
+1

Streaming recorded TV (wtv files) to a Roku from Plex requires a lot of horsepower on your server PC. You should test it out before going all in on that solution. It pegs my CPU at 100%, and the quality and interface leave a lot to be desired when streaming to Roku. But for streaming to phones and such, it works great.

I still use Remote Potato for streaming recorded TV outside my home, which works ok, but I don't really have the upload capacity to have very good quality.
post #4 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I can put some horsepower into my setup if necessary for transcoding. Mainly, I want to have the ability to play TV content through my Home Theater projector in real-time, easily. Getting easy channel changes, guides and guide searches, all on-screen without alot of effort is my goal for TV in PLEX. As to the PLEX interface in general, I am using it and enjoy the way it works. I'll have more to say once I get the TABLO in and connect this week.

-Rodger
post #5 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm... I haven't used Plex much, but I don't think it can do any of that. It can play back files and show cover art, that's about it, as far as I know. Are you thinking of Kodi?
post #6 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Hmm... I haven't used Plex much, but I don't think it can do any of that. It can play back files and show cover art, that's about it, as far as I know. Are you thinking of Kodi?
Yeah.. Plex as a TV Tuner is not ideal. I think you have to find third party plugins because there's no native support from what I'm aware of. KODI does have PVR applications and quite a few of them, but they're rather cumbersome to install and getting guides for them requires jumping through a few hoops.

Rodger - Could you clarify what you mean?

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #7 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Yeah.. Plex as a TV Tuner is not ideal. I think you have to find third party plugins because there's no native support from what I'm aware of. KODI does have PVR applications and quite a few of them, but they're rather cumbersome to install and getting guides for them requires jumping through a few hoops.

Rodger - Could you clarify what you mean?
The TABLO TV/PVR has a Channel plugin for PLEX. I don't have the TABLO in yet, so I can say how good this Channel plugin is yet. I have looked at some videos of it, but hard to tell by a video just how good it may be. Anyway, I have the TABLO coming in and will most likely do a bit of a review on it, maybe even this week.

-Rodger
post #8 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The TABLO TV/PVR has a Channel plugin for PLEX. I don't have the TABLO in yet, so I can say how good this Channel plugin is yet. I have looked at some videos of it, but hard to tell by a video just how good it may be. Anyway, I have the TABLO coming in and will most likely do a bit of a review on it, maybe even this week.

-Rodger
Cool... I'll be looking forward to reading it.

I have an HDHomeRun and was trying to get it to work with TVHeadEnd on OpenElec, but it has issues with OTA broadcasting.

post #9 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I can put some horsepower into my setup if necessary for transcoding. Mainly, I want to have the ability to play TV content through my Home Theater projector in real-time, easily. Getting easy channel changes, guides and guide searches, all on-screen without alot of effort is my goal for TV in PLEX. As to the PLEX interface in general, I am using it and enjoy the way it works. I'll have more to say once I get the TABLO in and connect this week.

-Rodger

Hi Rodger,
I was wondering if you have thought of separate machines to do what you are thinking about?

I run Plex on my Nas with an i5, 3.2 gig with 16 gig mem and have no problems streaming to the clients. But at home I run Kodi, I love the interface and all the added info details it brings in. My thought was to save your recorded tv shows to a central computer. Use Kodi with this add on http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=90738 and put plex on your central computer for transcoding to clients when out of lan. Would have the best of both worlds. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Curt

The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #10 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have an HDHomeRun and was trying to get it to work with TVHeadEnd on OpenElec, but it has issues with OTA broadcasting.
I had the same problem. I recently changed from Openelec to Win7 Pro and KODI. Using WMC as the TV backend and works great.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #11 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post
I had the same problem. I recently changed from Openelec to Win7 Pro and KODI. Using WMC as the TV backend and works great.
We run Linux, FreeBSD and OS X. We have no Windows computers and have been that way for over 10 years. I have no intention of buying windows just to run WMC. However, thank you for letting me know it works well on Windows.

post #12 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Hi Rodger,
I was wondering if you have thought of separate machines to do what you are thinking about?

I run Plex on my Nas with an i5, 3.2 gig with 16 gig mem and have no problems streaming to the clients. But at home I run Kodi, I love the interface and all the added info details it brings in. My thought was to save your recorded tv shows to a central computer. Use Kodi with this add on http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=90738 and put plex on your central computer for transcoding to clients when out of lan. Would have the best of both worlds. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Curt
I plan on using a Shuttle i5 with 16 Gigs of ram and 12 TB RAID 5 for my media server. My video editing computer will be in the network, so it could be used I suppose. I have the makings for a few more PC's in parts I could build if needed (use to be my sideline). I have looked at Kodi, in fact it is one one of my computer now. Just like how PLEX works and have access to it in so many ways. I am open to ideas, but I need to see how this TABLO works in PLEX with the TABLO Channel plugin first I think.

-Rodger
post #13 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
He's already ordered a Tablo for live and/or recording OTA. I would think you would access Plex from a channel plugin on the Tablo. Don't have a Tablo, so don't know how good that works...

BTW: I have OpenElec 4.2.1 and tvheadend running on an Asus Chromebox without issue.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Will be interesting to hear your comments once you have the Tablo installed and running.

Only thought I have besides what I stated was since the Tablo add on is a 3rd party add on for Plex, could mean support on down the road may or may not be available, should the need arise for it.

The Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---DIY Volt 10 (surrounds 9.4)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4311CI---Emotiva Xpa-3---Behringer Nu6000DSP iNuke---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #15 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
The TABLO TV/PVR has a Channel plugin for PLEX.
You might look around as reportedly Tablo's image quality isn't quite there. It's a step down from the "raw" recorders.
post #16 of 24 Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
You might look around as reportedly Tablo's image quality isn't quite there. It's a step down from the "raw" recorders.
You may be right. Got this working tonight and will do some investigating over the next few days most likely, but as of right now, the capture quality is not good on PLEX home theater. Might bet some tweaks I can do, so will hold judgement until I have tried/researched as much as I feel I need to.

-Rodger
rd350c likes this.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 AM

Liked: 10
Eager to hear about Tablo. I have an HDHR 2-tuner and get excellent OTA recordings on Windows media center, but I have two other tuners in the house that get better reception than the HDHR. How're the Tablo tuners?

Also, is the PVR interface on the Tablo better via Roku or AppleTV? I have a fire stick, but am leaning towards AppleTV since they'll be getting HBO (and I have two Iphones). My WMC-based system at home is viable, but I'll be looking to bring a really robust system on line at girl friend's house and eliminate her cable.

thanks,

tim
post #18 of 24 Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Still don't have all the pieces in or put together yet. I does appear however that the Tablo is a good device for my purposes. Record quality is a bit less then live-tv though. Having 4 tuners with the guide setup on android though is too good to pass up. I'd say record quality is 90% as good as my Hauppauge WinTV hvr-2255, which records as good as the original in my view.

I have loaded the Tablo up with recording content, and so far, even with 4 tuners recording at a time, seems to be doing OK.

-Rodger
post #19 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

Thanks,

it looks like I'll be getting a Tablo soon. I've been using antennas for decades, but the jump to PC's and WMC didn't come till about five years ago. I was disappointed that my usb and network-based tuners didn't have the sensitivity of some of my TV's, but I just got bigger antennas. I've got a mast mounted 4-dipole against the ceiling in my office now and don't want to go outside. Hopefully the Tablo's tuners'll pull as hard as the HDHR.
post #20 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

What I am going to need is a unified interface and Plex seems like the ticket. I understand how Roku or AppleTV can provide interface from my living room back to the Tablo installed in the office, but haven't divined how Plex will work and integrate Tablo. Also not sure if I will need, or how I will get DVR functionality (pause, rewind, SAVE) for the various streaming services (Netflix, Amazon prime, etc.). The functionality they provide now is cumbersome and imprecise at best. Will I need to install local PC's at my TV to run Plex. Will it do what I'm envisioning?
post #21 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My understanding is that Tablo is simply another app on your Roku, like Plex, Netflix, Amazon, etc. Just run the appropriate app. Plex is for playing your personal files. I realize Plex can also do Tablo, but I can't think of a good reason to actually use it on a Roku and add another layer of complexity.
https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-rockin-roku/

You're not going to find anything that will SAVE Netflix and Amazon streams, at least not quickly/easily or legally. Kind of defeats the purpose of streaming.

Last edited by mdavej; Yesterday at 12:58 PM.
post #22 of 24 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

My nephew is getting on the tablo bandwagon I guess. He is big in collecting media, mostly in the form of DVD/Blu-Ray, but is getting tired of paying out every month for cable. I cut-off cable/sat over 12 years ago and will not go back. Between the internet and OTA broadcasts, I am good enough.

I have a couple ROKU 3 units coming in shortly. Not sure I need them, but they were on sale and figured I would buy a couple to see.

Tablo channel works well though plex but not as well as tablo on my android tablet. On the tablet, I use Chromcast to hand off to my HDTV or DLP Projector to watch here at the house/home theater. As I said, I have the ROKU 3 coming in, so I will see how that fits in as well.

Having fun, which is the point in all of this isn't it.

-Rodger
post #23 of 24 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

What issues are you having? I have a similar setup and I have not noticed any issues.
post #24 of 24 Unread Today, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

The ROKU came in today and I just connected up to my 54" HDTV in the living room. After playing with it for a bit, I can see it will most likely be a permanent option here and no doubt down in the basement home theater. Using this simple remote, I can access a world of channels/broadcasts and PLEX. The PLEX channel is the key in my setup. With the availability of PLEX on RUKO and have access to my entire library of all media, the new TABLO 4 tuner PVR (thru PLEX) and more. Really, it may be the only controller I will be using, at least most of the time. Haven't tried it in the home theater yet, but seeing how it works on my HDTV, I know it will be all the better down there on my 134" screen.

Think I'll go down there and play with it.

-Rodger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page