DVR+ and TiVo Roamio Guide Data - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
DVR+ and TiVo Roamio Guide Data

Rather than hijacking the Channel Master DVR+ vs TiVo Roamio OTA thread, I thought I would start a new thread.

I am planning to leave Dish and am also trying to decide between these two DVRs. I have Windows Media Center, and can get all my locals, save for ABC. PBS is iffy, too, but I can turn the antenna for those shows- if I don't forget!

I can get ABC one out of my area, (Baltimore) but WMC does not give me guide data for that one. I am concerned that I will run into the same problem with these DVRs? As I understand it, the DVR+ will give me a few hours of guide data for that channel. Will season pass type recordings work with that limited guide data?

I only have one TV, I think I would be OK with two tuners. I also have a Roku, I don't need DVR apps for streaming content.

Some time down the road I'll buy a different antenna. I should be able to get all my nets from Philly, (don't know that for sure) rather than my own DMA. My antenna does not do VHF well. I can't at present get Philly's ABC nor PBS (6 and 12).

So, will I get full guide data for the out of my DMA channels and sub channels on either unit? I am leaning towards the CM DVR+ because of the cost, around $300 for the DVR and one TB drive.
Thanks!
user3162 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2015, 03:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have 2 channels that act in the manner you describe where they only get 2 days worth of guide data on the DVR+. On the Tivo they get the full 14-days. Why this is I don't know as every other channel I get on the DVR+ has the full 14-day guide. I do not believe they are out of my market though so I don't know what happens in that instance with either the DVR+ or the Tivo since all the channels I get are in my market.

On the DVR+ what happens is I schedule a recording for a show on one of these channels. Obviously the 1st time you schedule it, it has to be listed and within the 2-day guide data window. Once I tell the DVR+ to record this show it will record all future shows even though they may not currently be listed in the guide.

As the DVR+ updates the guide data and when that show is within the 2-days guide window then DVR+ will then schedule it.

Did any of that make sense? LOL.

I do not have this issue on the Tivo. The 2 channels I have that behave this way on the DVR+ do not do so on the Tivo. The Tivo does list the entire 14 day schedule for these channels.

Not much help I know but that's my .02 worth..
raqball is offline  
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I have 2 channels that act in the manner you describe where they only get 2 days worth of guide data on the DVR+. On the Tivo they get the full 14-days. Why this is I don't know as every other channel I get on the DVR+ has the full 14-day guide. I do not believe they are out of my market though so I don't know what happens in that instance with either the DVR+ or the Tivo since all the channels I get are in my market.

On the DVR+ what happens is I schedule a recording for a show on one of these channels. Obviously the 1st time you schedule it, it has to be listed and within the 2-day guide data window. Once I tell the DVR+ to record this show it will record all future shows even though they may not currently be listed in the guide.

As the DVR+ updates the guide data and when that show is within the 2-days guide window then DVR+ will then schedule it.

Did any of that make sense? LOL.

I do not have this issue on the Tivo. The 2 channels I have that behave this way on the DVR+ do not do so on the Tivo. The Tivo does list the entire 14 day schedule for these channels.

Not much help I know but that's my .02 worth..
Thanks! I think that answers my main question.
user3162 is offline  
Old 04-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Member
 
fshagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The guide on the DVR+ is provided by Rovio and goes out 14 days. The guide is provided based on your zip code. In my case, I have an ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara that is actually closer to my zip code than the Los Angeles stations that are considered my market area, but I don't get the full guide data for that station. I can change the zip code to a Santa Barbara zip code and I get guide data for that station, but not the Los Angeles stations. My understanding is that you can sometimes find a zip code in between that will carry guide data from two markets, but as far as I know, there is no map or other way of finding that out prior to purchase.

It looks like the Tivo guide is superior in this respect and is probably the right choice for anyone "between markets". In my case it really doesn't matter as I have two ABC stations so the 1 - 2 day guide the station itself broadcasts, which is what you get if Rovio is not providing the guide for that station, is sufficient.

If you only need OTA and not cable card, you can get the Roamio OTA for about $50 at Best Buy and then pay $15 a month for the guide data (no lifetime option with that particular device). The Roamio Basic that does come with a lifetime guide option will cost more than the DVR+, but I would consider a DVR without a good guide pretty crippled; you could only do timer-based recordings rather than name based for those stations without a guide.
fshagan is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
The guide on the DVR+ is provided by Rovio and goes out 14 days. The guide is provided based on your zip code. In my case, I have an ABC affiliate in Santa Barbara that is actually closer to my zip code than the Los Angeles stations that are considered my market area, but I don't get the full guide data for that station. I can change the zip code to a Santa Barbara zip code and I get guide data for that station, but not the Los Angeles stations. My understanding is that you can sometimes find a zip code in between that will carry guide data from two markets, but as far as I know, there is no map or other way of finding that out prior to purchase.

It looks like the Tivo guide is superior in this respect and is probably the right choice for anyone "between markets". In my case it really doesn't matter as I have two ABC stations so the 1 - 2 day guide the station itself broadcasts, which is what you get if Rovio is not providing the guide for that station, is sufficient.

If you only need OTA and not cable card, you can get the Roamio OTA for about $50 at Best Buy and then pay $15 a month for the guide data (no lifetime option with that particular device). The Roamio Basic that does come with a lifetime guide option will cost more than the DVR+, but I would consider a DVR without a good guide pretty crippled; you could only do timer-based recordings rather than name based for those stations without a guide.
Thanks for the info! It sounds like, with the DVR+ I would just have to wait until the day, whatever program I want to record, shows in the guide, then set a season pass type recording. I could live with that. Am I wrong? The Tivo sounds like a better unit, and the OTA Roamio would suffice, but I don't like the $15 a month.
user3162 is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by user3162 View Post
Thanks for the info! It sounds like, with the DVR+ I would just have to wait until the day, whatever program I want to record, shows in the guide, then set a season pass type recording. I could live with that. Am I wrong? The Tivo sounds like a better unit, and the OTA Roamio would suffice, but I don't like the $15 a month.

The $15 a month for TIVO is a drawback but with access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and many other online resources it might be worth it! The 1TB DVR+ is $400, with TIVO it will take you almost 2 years before the $15 a month makes up the difference between the $400 DVR+ and $50 TIVO for OTA.
Viking1204 is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking1204 View Post
The $15 a month for TIVO is a drawback but with access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu and many other online resources it might be worth it! The 1TB DVR+ is $400, with TIVO it will take you almost 2 years before the $15 a month makes up the difference between the $400 DVR+ and $50 TIVO for OTA.
The DVR+ with out the internal hard drive, from CM, + 1 TB drive from Amazon, is $300. I have a Roku, I get all the streaming channels with that. I think people claim it's actually better to stream those channels with the Roku.

I saw that I could get a basic Roamio + lifetime, with a discount from ebay for ~$490. I admit, that is tempting.
user3162 is offline  
Old 04-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Member
 
fshagan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by user3162 View Post
Thanks for the info! It sounds like, with the DVR+ I would just have to wait until the day, whatever program I want to record, shows in the guide, then set a season pass type recording. I could live with that. Am I wrong? The Tivo sounds like a better unit, and the OTA Roamio would suffice, but I don't like the $15 a month.
I haven't tried that. I am not sure it would work that way because the station provided guide data doesn't seem to appear until I tune to that station in the guide itself, then the info starts populating. Maybe someone who has used it more than I have will comment.

I do know that in the DVR+ owner's thread people say you just set a timer-based recording for every Wednesday at 8 PM, for example, rather than choosing a "season pass" kind of recording. It doesn't bother me with one station that is a duplicate of one with guide data, but I think if I had more than one station it would tip me toward the Tivo Roamio.

From the cost standpoint if you think the machine will last 4 or 5 years, then the basic Roamio with lifetime guide pays for itself. My concern is that the hardware won't keep up with the changes coming in the streaming space soon, and I'd really like to take advantage of the first system that seamlessly combines OTA, OTT, Internet streaming and my own home media without extra boxes and a very, very low WAF.
fshagan is offline  
Old 04-10-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
I haven't tried that. I am not sure it would work that way because the station provided guide data doesn't seem to appear until I tune to that station in the guide itself, then the info starts populating. Maybe someone who has used it more than I have will comment.

I do know that in the DVR+ owner's thread people say you just set a timer-based recording for every Wednesday at 8 PM, for example, rather than choosing a "season pass" kind of recording. It doesn't bother me with one station that is a duplicate of one with guide data, but I think if I had more than one station it would tip me toward the Tivo Roamio.

From the cost standpoint if you think the machine will last 4 or 5 years, then the basic Roamio with lifetime guide pays for itself. My concern is that the hardware won't keep up with the changes coming in the streaming space soon, and I'd really like to take advantage of the first system that seamlessly combines OTA, OTT, Internet streaming and my own home media without extra boxes and a very, very low WAF.
Thank you! Doesn't sound like it would work the way I hoped.
user3162 is offline  
Old 04-15-2015, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I decided to go with a Tivo Roamio OTA. It does get guide data for all the channels that I receive, the ones in my DMA, from Philly and Baltimore.

So far, I am pleased with it. I like how it integrates online videos in the search. I found shows on Netflix and Amazon that I wouldn't have looked for, otherwise. I can listen to Pandora, and with the free version of Tivo desktop, I can listen to music from my computer.

Plex is coming, too. Very happy so far.
fshagan likes this.
user3162 is offline  
Old 04-18-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
qz3fwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,173
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by user3162 View Post
I decided to go with a Tivo Roamio OTA. It does get guide data for all the channels that I receive, the ones in my DMA, from Philly and Baltimore.

So far, I am pleased with it. I like how it integrates online videos in the search. I found shows on Netflix and Amazon that I wouldn't have looked for, otherwise. I can listen to Pandora, and with the free version of Tivo desktop, I can listen to music from my computer.

Plex is coming, too. Very happy so far.
You might have been better off with the Tivo Roamio Base which has ATSC tuners (OTA) and is elegible for lifetime, it you want to pay upfront lumps sum instead of perpetual monthly fees for the OTA unit.
qz3fwd is offline  
Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
user3162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post
You might have been better off with the Tivo Roamio Base which has ATSC tuners (OTA) and is elegible for lifetime, it you want to pay upfront lumps sum instead of perpetual monthly fees for the OTA unit.
Yes, I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to do. I am most concerned with the cost now, so I went with the cheapest option to get started. If, after a year I am still liking the TiVo, I can buy the Base Roamio and only be out the $50 I paid. I was paying $113 a month for Dish, $15 is a drop in the bucket.
user3162 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off