AVS Forum banner

Genie HR34/44 etc

539 views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Lotus99 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am a current DTV customer with a non-genie setup. Basically I have 3 boxes right now..HR 24's (2) and another one that is a non dvr (1 tuner box). I just installed 3 new smaller TV's alongside my main tv in my family room. I ran coax, power, cat 5. I am all set on connecting the wired genie and the minis to the 4 TV's in the same room. The main goal is to have 4 different live shows (mostly sporting events) on at the same time in the same room. I only have a 4 port SWM in my smart box in laundry room. I am going to upgrade that to an 8 port SWM...because going to 16 would force me to run more lines from my roof to the smart box in the laundry room and don't feel like doing that right now.

So, my main family room will have the wired Genie connected to main TV and the 3 other TV's will get the minis. My understanding is that The Genie requires 5 tuners and when I put in the 8 port SWM I will have max of 8 available.

My garage will have a 1 tuner non dvr box and another room will have the same. Sometimes all of these will be on at the same time. That is 7 tuners at same time out of 8 possible if I understand correctly. Those 6 tv's will be on at the same time but often 3 will be playing the same game/same channel and other 3 a different game each.

Anyway, while all this is going on, would I be able to record any shows that are not currently being viewed? For example while all these tv's are on and playing different games, could I be recording Game of Thrones and Bizarre Foods in the background? Anyone have any experience or expertise regarding tuner math and this kind of setup?Appreciate any comments thanks a lot.

See less See more
#2 ·
OK your question is more complex than it might appear.
First, the number of ports on the SWM splitter (you are calling it "the SWM") has nothing to do with the number of tuners you can support. The SWM LNB at your dish can support up to eight tuners. The SWM splitter only determines how many different devices you can connect, because each receiver, DVR, genie or wired client (the genie "mini") requires one splitter port. The Wireless Video Bridge requires one splitter port no matter how many wireless clients you are supporting. Usually peopl devote one splitter port to the SWM power inserter.
First, just about everyone with DirecTv experience will tell you not to replace your HR24s with clients (either wireless or wired), also not to use wireless clients unless there is no alternative (like no coax access). Also if you have multiple receivers and/or clients in the same room showing the same game remember they will be out of sync (and also if they are in different rooms where you can hear them).
If you have three clients (either wired or wireless) that will use three of the tuners in the genie. If you are watching TV on the genie that's a fourth tuner. Leaves only one for recording. That's one reason keeping the DVRs is recommended.
If you get the genie and clients from DirecTV they will install the replacement LNB at the dish and run the extra cables to an SWM16 multiswitch in the house, that will give you 16 tuner capability. Then you need splitters to connect the various devices. the splitter configuration will depend on how many devices you end up with.
What's the best solution? Depends a lot on what you are going to be using the other rooms for. Also if you are going to do all the work yourself, you might consider getting an SWM13 LNB for the dish. DirecTv won't have one, unless you are in one of the very few test markets, but they are often for sale on ebay. This will support 13 tuners over a single cable from the dish, so you would not have any issues supporting the Genie (5 tuners) and two HR24s (4 tuners total).

What would I do? If you are connecting six TVs, I would use a genie, the two HR24s you have and your one tuner HD box, plus two clients (wired would be my preference). Put the clients in the rooms you use the least, then when they are off they won't use a genie tuner. get an SWM13 multiswitch if you can, otherwise get DirecTv to install the LNB/multiswitch to support 16 tuners.

Hope I have explained all this!!

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for your response. The family room with the 4 TV's will not be playing the same game but 4 different ones at same time. I was thinking a wired genie would be good for that (main genie box connected to main tv and then 3 genie minis to the other 3 TV's). All would have a port on an 8 port swm. That leaves 2 hr24's or maybe 1 hr 24 and another single tuner box (totaling 8 tuners). The 13 port option looks interesting I will look at that thank you. If I can have all this set up and be playing 4 live games at once in the main home theatre area while also having the other 2 TV's on...and then recording 2 shows in the background (none that are on any TV's)...I will be happy. 16 port swm is not an option at moment my smart box where wires terminate is far away from dish. Thanks again.

#4 ·
Ebay current pricing on the SWM13 is $37 upwards, as with http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPI...TUNER-3D1LNBR0-01-FREE-SHIPPING-/171766473782. I replaced my SL5 SWM LNB with the SWM13 in about two minutes. It is just a plug compatible replacement for the SWM LNB in your current dish. But if you need the 119 satellite (some people's locals cme from 119, plus the ethnic package and a couple of music/religious channels ) the SWM13 is not for you since like the 3LNB SWM it only sees 99/101/113.
As I posted, genie plus three clients will use up at least four tuners on the Genie.Five if you use PIP on the genie. To get two recordings as well you would need to keep at least one HR24. As I said, personally I would get an SWM13, keep both the HR24s, only get two clients and put them in the other two rooms (if they are less used). Remember with whole home, all your boxes can see the integrated playlist from all the boxes.
DirecTV will almost certainly insist on installing the Genie and clients, particularly since your existing setup will only accommodate 8 tuners and only when the tech arrives will they know for sure you have the SWM13.
You need to stop calling the splitter the "SWM" , it's very confusing. It's an SWM splitter. there are also SWM LNBs, and SWM multiswitches.( For example, the SWM8 is a multiswitch). If you have a genie, two wired clients and two HR24s plus the power inserter that's 6 ports on the splitter.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok thank you. I'm going to work on the specific combination of genie, 1 and 2 tuner boxes and make some decisions. I have no experience how the Genie performs compared to an HR24 as far as reliability and performance. I could not employ the genie at all and just go with 2 tuner and single tunerboxes if I wanted.

That’s a good point about putting the Genie in a less used room because the main Home theatre room with the 4 TV’s (5 potential I did run one extra coaxthere J)will all be on quite often….which is also the location I record from too. I generally don’t record from other places in the house. Think I pay for the whole home dvr service right now (5 bucks a month) but it’s not turned on for some reason. Need to look into that after all this is settled.

#6 ·
texasbrit, I bought the swm 13 and will be here soon. Will DTV put it on for me? Honestly it takes a very big ladder to get to my roof. I could have my AV guy do it but just wondering if the DTV tech would do it when they came with the genie. Thnks.

#7 ·
Probably not, because he won't have a work order that covers it. But since he will come ready to install a legacy LNB and an SWM16 multiswitch, he might do it for you. However, note that the OSHA rules for installation safety have probably changed since your dish was installed and it might be in a location that causes issues.

Also I was confused by your last post. I was suggesting putting the Genie CLIENTS in the less used rooms not the Genie itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.