Will you miss Windows Media Center when it's gone? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Will you miss Windows Media Center when it's gone?

I used windows media center for about 5 years and liked it alot. But 5 months ago I switched back to tivo roamio and I like it alot better. I can watch my shows anywhere in my house with tivo minis and I can watch my tivo at work with tivo stream.

What I didn't like about Windows Media Center is that I was stuck on Windows 7 because of ceton echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 481
What difference does it make what OS you use for a DVR? It's an appliance. Was there something that a different OS offered that you felt you needed for a WMC machine? Now you're using TiVo and don't even have a web browser available. And paying a lot more. Sheesh. I just don't get it.

PS: Oh yeah, when WMC is actually gone I guess I'll have to get something else, but not until then.

Last edited by olyteddy; Yesterday at 04:22 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I have used all three (methods or alternatives) for extended periods of time.
  • TiVo - around a decade
  • WMC - roughly three years
  • DVBLink - three months

Currently I'm back to WMC because of a recording issue I have with one of my channels using DVBLink (very minor). I revisited TiVo (Roamio) several months ago when one of my channels were "funny" using WMC. It turned out to be the channel's fault and TiVo didn't handle it any better. It did however get me to refresh my TiVo experience. I also picked up two TiVo OTA Roamios when they were on sale for $300 including Lifetime. I considered switching back but ultimately they were sold and I didn't even opened them.

I use Windows 8.1 and it runs on my desktop. I got 8.1 for free and I have to have a desktop so WMC is free and doesn't require any extra hardware outside of the $55 each I paid for two HDHomeRun tuners. Client wise I use identical ASUS quad-core micro PCs (15 watts or so when awake) running OpenELEC with my favorite skin. They were a whopping $119 each, run like a champ, support HD Audio and are powerful enough to handle high-end local streaming. I use the Titan Mediabrowser skin and after a few hours of customizing I prefer it to any other interface I have used.

So at this point in time my clients dictate what servers I can use. Also I tend to view TV quite often on my PC and I can have the identical experience at my desktop using the Windows version of Kodi. Which means the experience is the same whether I'm using WMC or DVBLink. As they simply handle the recordings. It wouldn't be with TiVo and what's why I didn't go back.

DVBLink offer apps, remote viewing and whatnot but I have zero interest in such. And I'm OTA (only) so protected content isn't an issue. I did tire of the WMC interface which led me to using OpenELEC exclusively although I wasn't entirely happy with it until I found Titan. The only streaming I do is local which increases this time of year and typically over the Holidays as repeats run galore. Right now my wife in the middle of "Homeland" season two... and I'm enjoying experiencing it a second time.

So to finally answer your question no I didn't miss it when I switched to DVBLink. And if the next version resolves the channel issue I'll be right back to it. However WMC is fine by me and I don't doubt it will serve me well for years if I give it the opportunity. If my streaming was Internet based (too much superior content that's not available there) I would purchase a Internet streamer or give TiVo more consideration.
post #4 of 9 Old Today, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

What is Dublin?
post #5 of 9 Old Today, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Oh yeah, when WMC is actually gone I guess I'll have to get something else, but not until then.
I agree except it will never be truly gone.. If you've built an appliance DVR like I have that has a 6GB footprint for the OS and Kodi as an extra, that only boots to WMC, you're pretty much good forever. The only thing MS is likely to do is end the guide service at some point and there are ways to add another guide fairly seamlessly (I believe). They're not going to reach into your system and kill the software. They will stop supporting it in about 8 years though but if it works today it will still work then, being pretty much debugged and stable by now. Just make a regular clone backup of your boot drive. I built my box back in 2012 and have never had any issues with it expect occasional weak tuning on the direct connected HDHR4 I installed inside the box. It's all just hardware maintenance now.
post #6 of 9 Old Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
The only thing MS is likely to do is end the guide service at some point and there are ways to add another guide fairly seamlessly (I believe).
It is pretty well documented: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../dd776338.aspx https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../bb895967.aspx so I'm pretty sure someone would step up to the plate and continue guides.
post #7 of 9 Old Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
By the time it's actually "gone", I'd imagine we'll all be moving on to something else anyway. Content is moving away from the old model of "broadcasting" and linear channels anyway. I've certainly gotten good use out of my WMC systems over the years.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
What is Dublin?
Opps dvblink
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post
By the time it's actually "gone", I'd imagine we'll all be moving on to something else anyway. Content is moving away from the old model of "broadcasting" and linear channels anyway. I've certainly gotten good use out of my WMC systems over the years.
I use my tivo to make one passes for TV shows I watch online. So every thing is in one place
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page