Which Model Performs Better? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

View Poll Results: Which Model Performs Better
ViewTV AT-163 0 0%
Homeworx 150pvr 0 0%
Iview 3500II 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Today, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which Model Performs Better?

I've been considering the ViewTV AT-163, Homeworx 150pvr, & the IView 3500II. While I know that each model has issues, which one performs the best? Which one runs the coolest? Does each of these models use the same tuner? If NOT, which one is the strongest? My goal is simply to determine the "lesser of 2 evils". I've found that all decent models are WAY out of my price range. I don't have hundreds of dollars laying around, nor can I afford a Tivo subscription. Please consider the above questions carefully before you vote! Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 631
You have been anguishing over this question for a week now. I don't think anybody is going to give you the definitive answer you are looking for -- they are going to keep telling you the same things they've been telling you because these are all basically the same internal unit with exterior cosmetic differences. These are all just $35-40 boxes sold by walmart who has a very liberal return policy. Just go out an buy a couple of them and do the side-by-side comparison yourself. Then you can see how you like the box cosmetics, the remote, the running temperature, any tuner differences, etc. Keep the one you like and return the other two.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 5 Old Today, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to go to Walmart & get one, but my local store doesn't carry these models. I even called & verified it. I can't even have it shipped there to pick up! It would also cost more to ship it to me directly. I understand that these models are generally the same "under the hood", but judging from all the comments I've read, there seems to be at least small differences between them. I was just hoping to get a better idea of what users' experiences are with them. I guess it really is pot luck! Too bad these companies don't use better quality control.... I'd even pay a few more bucks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You have been anguishing over this question for a week now. I don't think anybody is going to give you the definitive answer you are looking for -- they are going to keep telling you the same things they've been telling you because these are all basically the same internal unit with exterior cosmetic differences. These are all just $35-40 boxes sold by walmart who has a very liberal return policy. Just go out an buy a couple of them and do the side-by-side comparison yourself. Then you can see how you like the box cosmetics, the remote, the running temperature, any tuner differences, etc. Keep the one you like and return the other two.
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Being retired and broke, I wanted to find an inexpensive solution for an OTA DVR, since my Pal DVR died. The best solution I found for my needs was a $35 Android stick replacing Android with OpenELEC. I already had the HDHomeRun tuners, so it was a lot cheaper solution for me. I can record 2 shows and watch a recorded show at the same time. Using free or inexpensive guide data, I have 14 days of guide, and I can record to almost any hardware, SD Card, USB memory stick or in my case an older Synology NAS. Since the stick I am using doesn't have an Ethernet port, I am using a USB Ethernet adapter.

Complete DVR solution easy to set up.

HDHomeRun Connect $85 or less if you catch it on sale.
MK808B+ Android stick $35 or less from Geekbuying.com
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't know about the dtvpal dvr! I had the original dtvpal & it worked great for several yrs, until about a month or so ago. I noticed the dvr was released in 2009, & discontinued in 2010. Too bad, I bet it worked just as good. Even a used one is WAY too expensive! Anywho, I can't use an android stick for my purposes. I just want to record shows from my OTA channels & watch them on my tv. I don't want to use a computer or mobile device for that. I don't have cable. I have an analog tv that I use with a spare converter box that replaced the dtvpal, & now I need a simple recorder. I'm just about ready to order the ViewTV from amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkss12 View Post
Being retired and broke, I wanted to find an inexpensive solution for an OTA DVR, since my Pal DVR died. The best solution I found for my needs was a $35 Android stick replacing Android with OpenELEC. I already had the HDHomeRun tuners, so it was a lot cheaper solution for me. I can record 2 shows and watch a recorded show at the same time. Using free or inexpensive guide data, I have 14 days of guide, and I can record to almost any hardware, SD Card, USB memory stick or in my case an older Synology NAS. Since the stick I am using doesn't have an Ethernet port, I am using a USB Ethernet adapter.

Complete DVR solution easy to set up.

HDHomeRun Connect $85 or less if you catch it on sale.
MK808B+ Android stick $35 or less from Geekbuying.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders