ViewTV AT-163 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-17-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ViewTV AT-163

I finally got the ViewTV AT-163 today. My first impression is good! I made 2 test recordings, which appeared to work fine. Fast forwarding is smooth, making it easy to know precisely when commercials end. The unit turns on & off at the scheduled times, which is good when you're not at home, so electricity isn't wasted. As others have said, it's reminicent of a vcr. I like that you can schedule a recording with a couple of extra minutes if needed, so the beginning or end of a show isn't missed. The menu is simple, & the remote is nicely designed. My usb thumb drive was readily detected as well. One minor caution, though.... When you schedule a recording, the settings dialogue defaults to the 1st channel in your lineup rather than the channel you're currently tuned to, so be sure to select the channel you want to record from. I'm not fond of using military time, but that can't be changed, so it's something to get used to. Overall, this unit is pretty easy to use, with no hassle.... just the way I like it! For the price, I'd say it's worth a try for anyone looking for a dvr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Interesting, so it sounds like it cuts power to the USB socket when not on? Thats nice and how my early generation iView works, later ones left the USB power ON all the time and required you to use a USB HDD that would spin down after a certain amount of time of no recording if you wanted the HDD to not spin constantly.
Keep us posted on how well it works, my iView has a bad habit of missing the occasional event, haven't really been able to figure out why but it happens and I'm sure I've programmed things right. My iView also defaults to the first channel when setting up a schedule, that and it defaults to "view" or something to that effect where the iView turns ON at a selected time but doesn't actually record. I have to make sure to always change that line to RECORD when setting up an event as I always want it to record when I setup a schedule, IMO view is kind of a worthless option and is only a chance to miss a recording.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, the usb appears to be off when the unit is off. Or at least the light on my thumb drive is off, suggesting no power is being supplied to it.... I should also mention the ability to add a single channel is a definite plus, especially if you have weaker signals where you live, like me. I can simply adjust my antenna to get the best signal, then add the channel to my lineup. Because getting a good signal on every channel at the same time, just doesn't happen for me Good luck with your Iview, I hope mine doesn't lose recordings but that remains to be seen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Interesting, so it sounds like it cuts power to the USB socket when not on? Thats nice and how my early generation iView works, later ones left the USB power ON all the time and required you to use a USB HDD that would spin down after a certain amount of time of no recording if you wanted the HDD to not spin constantly.
Keep us posted on how well it works, my iView has a bad habit of missing the occasional event, haven't really been able to figure out why but it happens and I'm sure I've programmed things right. My iView also defaults to the first channel when setting up a schedule, that and it defaults to "view" or something to that effect where the iView turns ON at a selected time but doesn't actually record. I have to make sure to always change that line to RECORD when setting up an event as I always want it to record when I setup a schedule, IMO view is kind of a worthless option and is only a chance to miss a recording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders