DVR+ Lister for Channel Master DVR+ - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Do you move DVR+ recordings to a computer (multiple choices allowed)
Yes, Windows 37 51.39%
Yes, Linux 8 11.11%
Yes, Mac 4 5.56%
Yes, Other OS 1 1.39%
No 26 36.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaye View Post
If the software works, I'll post the csv files so you can look at them.
Your C++ programs seem to work just fine. I downloaded and installed codeblocks-16.01mingw-setup.exe from Code::Blocks downloads page (it's freeware), compiled and ran both of your C++ programs, piping their output to csv files, and imported the csv's into Excel where they looked good to me. But yeah, post what you get and any insights you may have.

For those interested, Code::Blocks includes an IDE (although I did not use it), and supports C, C++ and Fortran. If installed in the default location, the g++.exe compiler will be found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Update on Spanish files

Thank you for the Spanish channel data.

Attached is a zip file of the csv (comma separated variable) of the rei and streaminfo files. It was prepared using the previously posted code. The csv should be able to be directly opened in any spreadsheet program. If formatting information is needed for the spreadsheet program, then the file has variables separated by commas and text enclosed in double quotation marks. Also, there is a text file of the information generated by MediaInfo on the Strm0004.ts file. It will have Linux line feeds, so you will need to use Wordpad or similar more advanced text viewer if it appears to be a jumble of one continuous line.

I see that you did download a C++ compiler and had success with installing it and running my code. Looks like CodeBlocks is a GUI front end for compilers, but you also picked up the MingW C++ compiler which is the Windows version of the GNU C++ compiler that I am using. If you are interested in the internals of the *.ts files, the MediaInfo program that I am using is available in a Windows version as well.

I was able to view the Strm0004.ts file and have Spanish only audio. I have not been able to directly view the closed caption, I assume from your post it is in Spanish. I was able to convert the file and see about 1 second of what appears to be a Spanish phrase at the very end of the recording. I will have to wait to see the captions when I reformat my flash drive and can load your recordings on it so I can view it on the DVR+.

The streaminfo file gives the (first) audio channel as und - undetermined. It should be spa - Spanish. The und matches what the DVR+ menu is giving. There are two possible causes of this:
* First, the television station itself may be embedding incorrect data into the program.
* Second, there may be a bug in the Channel Master software. If there is a bug, then it appears that the DVR+ is programmed to expect the first language to be English and the second Spanish (see previous post). If anything is different for the first language then it tags it as "und" and exits the streaminfo storage routine. It appears to then not make any notation on closed captioning in the streaminfo file.

The closed caption area of the streaminfo file is blank. It does not list any closed caption service. The DVR+ menu appears to be coded to display 4 cc services, and call each one as requested. It displays nothing if the service is not embedded in the sub-channel stream when you select it. Without the data in the streaminfo file, it will be interesting to see if any closed captioning is displayed by the DVR+ on the Strm004.ts file. If it is, then the DVR+ is picking up its cc information in at least one more place.

As an aside, you can see the audio channel is listed as 2 channels in the MediaInfo data. The streaminfo file shows that Strm0004.ts has 2 channels (stereo). The very first record in the streaminfo file is showing 5.1, demonstrating what I have seen before - that the audio channel information is dependent upon prior history until it "locks on" to the audio channel data.

Longer term it would be up to Channel Master to view several Spanish stations to see if their code has problems or if it was a problem due to errors on the single station you recorded. I would bet it is a Channel Master issue. An easy confirmation is if your television receiver has the capability of displaying language information, without going through the Channel Master unit. Of course it probably does the same as mine, simply giving it as audio1, audio2, etc. and not worrying about the language being broadcast.

In the short term it may not have a great effect, since the key data piece that there is only one audio channel and the channel ID is 52 is intact in the streaminfo file. Any coding using the streaminfo data would be correct, since und is a viable language code, just not as correct as it should be.

I will continue to look at the rei and streaminfo data as time permits. I am considering how to use bit editing to affect the streaminfo file and see what happens when I work with the variables. I found out a lot when I did this with the rei file data. The Spanish recording will be invaluable at that time. Thank you again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip spanish.zip (14.2 KB, 2 views)
pachinko likes this.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
The closed caption area of the streaminfo file is blank. It does not list any closed caption service. ...
I would suggest to research the TS file, pretty sure CC metadata is there; my favorite analyzer/player is VLC - it will show all services, if PAT/PMT would be rebuild from SI and added to the TS file.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was able to view the Strm0004.ts file and have Spanish only audio. I have not been able to directly view the closed caption, I assume from your post it is in Spanish. I was able to convert the file and see about 1 second of what appears to be a Spanish phrase at the very end of the recording. I will have to wait to see the captions when I reformat my flash drive and can load your recordings on it so I can view it on the DVR+.
The closed caption area of the streaminfo file is blank. It does not list any closed caption service. The DVR+ menu appears to be coded to display 4 cc services, and call each one as requested. It displays nothing if the service is not embedded in the sub-channel stream when you select it. Without the data in the streaminfo file, it will be interesting to see if any closed captioning is displayed by the DVR+ on the Strm004.ts file. If it is, then the DVR+ is picking up its cc information in at least one more place.

As an aside, you can see the audio channel is listed as 2 channels in the MediaInfo data. The streaminfo file shows that Strm0004.ts has 2 channels (stereo). The very first record in the streaminfo file is showing 5.1, demonstrating what I have seen before - that the audio channel information is dependent upon prior history until it "locks on" to the audio channel data.

Longer term it would be up to Channel Master to view several Spanish stations to see if their code has problems or if it was a problem due to errors on the single station you recorded. I would bet it is a Channel Master issue. An easy confirmation is if your television receiver has the capability of displaying language information, without going through the Channel Master unit. Of course it probably does the same as mine, simply giving it as audio1, audio2, etc. and not worrying about the language being broadcast.
I'm not seeing any CCs either in any of my Windows video players, nor does CCExtractor find any, but they definitely appeared on the DVR+ (you'll see them when you use your flash drive).

Today I made a 29 second (35.8MB) recording on the same Telemundo channel (click HERE to download), clearly showing subtitles, and again no subtitles show on the PC even though there is a lot of conversation. None of the data are from the data I uploaded yesterday (I deleted everything and started anew), so don't mix them. I couldn't get the zip to upload to tinyupload, so had to upload to DropBox, and I hope the download works for you if you want it. If DropBox tries to force you to sign up, you do not, just click the "No Thanks..." hyperlink.

I do have MediaInfo v0.7.96 for Windows, and is reveals 2 text streans EIA-608 and EIA-708 on the new Strm0008 recording, as well as on Strm0004 from yesterday as you already know.

Unfortunately, my TV only shows CC (Service 1), with no hint of the language. There's another Spanish channel in my area (V-me), but it only broadcasts its Call Sign and music, so likely of no value unless you'd like to have a sample for who knows what.

For those interested, the following command line is what I use in order to get VLC to play the DVR+ produced (videos which are missing the PAT/PMT data).

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --demux ffmpeg
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I was able to convert the file and see about 1 second of what appears to be a Spanish phrase at the very end of the recording. ...
Based upon this, I remuxed yesterdays Strm0004.ts and todays Strm0008.ts using VideoRedo, then used CCExtractor to create an SRT file for each. I've attached a small ZIP file containing both SRT files. But without the SRT files, the remuxed copies still do not show subtitles when played on the PC.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SRT for Strm0004 and Strm0008.zip (869 Bytes, 2 views)

Last edited by pachinko; Yesterday at 05:53 PM.
Old Today, 08:00 AM

P Smith breakout of Streaminfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Do you have any comments to posts 316 and 341 ?
Your request was for a comparison of the streaminfo data record structures. This is what I perceive in combining the two interpretations.

typedef struct _K77_STREAMINFO_ENTRY
BYTE bVideoPIDs; // count
BYTE bAudioPIDs; // count
WORD unk_02;
WORD wPCR; // PCR usually same as VPID1
WORD unk_06;

// video info by count = bVideoPIDs; should be max 2
WORD wVPID1;
WORD wVPID1type; // = 0105 / 0002

WORD wVPID2;
WORD wVPID2type;

// video langs part
BYTE wnVLangs; // number langs =1/2/3
BYTE wnVLangs_rsv[3]; // =0
// first VLang item
char cVLang[4];
BYTE bVLangId; // = 05
BYTE bVLang_19; // = 00
BYTE wVLang_rsv[2];
// next VLang item
BYTE b_1c[0x84]; //

>The first byte in this structure is bVideoPIDs which corresponds to my byte 1 for number of video streams.
>The second byte in this structure is bAudioPIDs which corresponds to my byte 2 for number of audio streams.
>Next a word unk_02 corresponds to my bytes 3-4 with unknown purpose.
>Next a word wPCR which roughly corresponds to a combination of my byte 5 which is video stream id number and byte 6 which is unknown and appears not to be used.
>Next a word unk_06 corresponds to my byte 7-8 which is unknown and appears not to be used.
>Next a word wVPID1 which duplicates wPCR and corresponds to a combination of my byte 9 which is video stream id number and byte 10 which is unknown and appears not to be used-also duplicating bytes 5-6.
>Next a word wVPID1type (values 0105 or 0002). This differs to my interpretation of bytes 11-12 as the audio channel type where 2 is stereo and 5.1 is surround sound. There is a correspondence with audio channel during recording, but it is not perfect and appears to be dependent upon multiple extraneous factors.
>Next is a pair of words wVPID2 and wVPID2type. This differs to my interpretation of bytes 13-16 as unknown. Present TV broadcasts are allowed only one video stream per sub-channel so I am not convinced it is a second video stream information area. Of course it could be a place holder for such information in the future,

>Your next section is video languages which corresponds to the closed caption fields. They are a repeating section. You appear to allow for 3 repeats, I am assuming 4 repeats due to the DVR+ having 4 closed caption options.
>First is byte wnVLangs which corresponds to my byte 17 number of closed caption streams used.
>Second is three bytes wnVLangs_rsv which corresponds to my 3 byte unknown.
>Third is a 4 byte character array cVLang which corresponds to my 3 byte closed caption language code plus an additional byte which is always 0. Indeed, these language codes may be null terminated strings.
>Fourth is byte bVLangId which corresponds to my byte 25 unknown item. If you have an idea as to the byte's purpose please let me know. I have seen values of 4, 5 and 9 but predominately 5.
>Fifth is byte bVLang_19 which corresponds to my byte 26 unknown but value 0. Do you have a function in mind for this byte since it is named, or is it a placeholder to get to a word boundary?
>Sixth is a 2 byte array wVLang_rsv which corresponds to my bytes 27-28 unknown but values of 0.
>At this time you skip down to the audio section of the record with a notation of next video language, whereas I repeat the closed caption service section a total of 4 times.

typedef struct _K77_STREAMINFO_APID_ENTRY
WORD wAPID;
WORD wAPIDtype; // = 010e
DWORD rsv;
char cALang[4]; // "und"/"eng"/"esl"/"spa"/"fre"/"chi"...
BYTE bLangId; // = 04
BYTE bALang_rsv[3];

This is your audio information record entry creating an array of 18 elements. I have a similar entry but have only 2 repeats, not yet finding a third + audio source to check how many audio elements the DVR+ will respond to. This is an area where I may try some bit manipulation of the streaminfo file to see what happens.
>First word in this structure is wAPID which corresponds to a combination of my byte 161 audio 1 stream ID number and byte 162 which is unknown and appears not to be used.
>Second word is wAPIDtype which corresponds to my bytes 163-164 of an unknown item.
>Third is double word rsv which corresponds to my bytes 165-168 of an unknown item but values of 0.
>Fourth is 4 byte character array cALangID which corresponds to my 3 byte audio 1 language code plus an additional byte which is always 0. Once again, these language codes may be null terminated strings.
>Fifth is a byte bLangID which corresponds to my byte 173 unknown item but value of 4.
>Sixth is a 3 element byte array bALang_rsv which corresponds to bytes 174-176 of an unknown item but values of 0.
>At this point you continue to repeat the array, whereas I give a second audio entry only and leave the rest empty.

Overall, the records are very similar except for the number of repeats of the video, closed caption and audio entry structures. I am trying to leave mine with the minimum number of repeats as experienced from the DVR+.

One real difference is in the utilization of wVPID1type within the video entry. In the second referenced post you stated the example of a streaminfo file with elements 2 and 7 having values of 51 instead of the usual 2, and suggested unsuccessfully that they could be codes for 720p or 1080i etc. My interpretation would be the audio channel being stereo vs surround sound. Once again this value is not dependable, with history, menu settings and the DVR+ live record and a "feature" of at times grabbing the live record and adding it to the recording all playing a part. My interpretation would not provide a clean sectioning of the streaminfo file. However I am leaving the next bytes as open where you are repeating a second video information area. I believe that FCC/television rules stipulate only one video stream per the sub-channel so leaving the area open allows for other uses of the space. While there is a correlation for the audio channel to this entry, I am not confident that my interpretation is correct. I have never seen a value of 5.1 for any sub-channel that broadcasts only in stereo (oldies stations) but a jumble of 5.1 and 2 for multi audio stream setups. Right now I can find no utilization for this data anyway.

One area that we do not have a handle on is data streams are allowed to be muxed into channels. I do not know of any being performed in actual practice, but some of the record area could be reserved for this.

One area needing attention is the audio stream area, where there are multiple values being stored to unknown purpose. I think one of these may be a code for AC3 style audio, since I believe differing audio types are allowed by the FCC to be broadcast. I am still looking for a good reference to what the codes for these audio types would be to see if any match.

The video language/closed capture area is also needing some attention. However, when looking at my information I think there may be a number of bugs in the DVR+ software in this area. The one thing that might help is a one minute recording of CW Supergirl which showed two records in a previous post. My attempts have been thwarted at duplicating this due to the local station usurping the feeds in an emergency and a second attempt where no closed caption information was recorded in the streaminfo file. My older version of the DVR+ software may have a bug that failed when two services were available and the newer version that made this record may have been fixed. I am just afraid to update since my system is working and I have read posts where the updates introduced new issues that I would like to avoid. It also appears that the DVR+ may be using a second source for this information, with closed captions being displayed without a record. I need to look at this further. It is also possible that the DVR+ is merely recording the cc information as a log, and actually blindly requesting the captioning from the video stream using a universally defined stream code.

I am going to see if I can perform some bit manipulations to stress test the streaminfo file to gather more information. But this may take a while due to time constraints.
Old Today, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
I would suggest to research the TS file, pretty sure CC metadata is there; my favorite analyzer/player is VLC - it will show all services, if PAT/PMT would be rebuild from SI and added to the TS file.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
I'm not seeing any CCs either in any of my Windows video players, nor does CCExtractor find any, but they definitely appeared on the DVR+ (you'll see them when you use your flash drive).

Today I made a 29 second (35.8MB) recording on the same Telemundo channel, clearly showing subtitles, and again no subtitles show on the PC even though there is a lot of conversation.

I do have MediaInfo v0.7.96 for Windows, and is reveals 2 text streans EIA-608 and EIA-708 on the new Strm0008 recording, as well as on Strm0004 from yesterday as you already know.
Thank you for the additional recording. I do not think that additional recordings of a channel of only audio will help in the closed capture area.

I am 99% certain the streams are still in the *.ts file. My looking at it after converting the small one appears to confirm this. When I do the larger one I should have enough time to see the captions.

I can see the captions on the PC using VideoLAN and a converted file that holds a PAT/PMT. My technique for doing the conversion is very simple. I am using the program AVIDEMUX (Windows version available). Using copy mode for both the audio and video channels and saving as a mpeg TS file type. This will then play directly. One problem is my version of avidemux allows only one audio stream to be copied from the original file, though you can add a second stream from an external file.

I am slowly becoming convinced that the DVR+ is blindly requesting the CC via a universal metadata code. At times the streaminfo file has no cc data, yet the DVR+ is displaying CC1. I have access to some very complex video editing software in the Adobe Cloud, but it is so complex it is going to be difficult to use. But I may be able to affect the metadata for all the streams and see what happens when it is loaded into the DVR+. There is also editing the streaminfo file for affects.

What may be interesting is whether the addition of the PAT/PMT is actually adding data on the CC streams, or it is merely necessary to be present for programs such as VideoLAN to do a blind request for CC output. I do know that using the ffmpeg demux in VideoLAN and playing an original *.ts file will not show CC. Using the conversion and standard demux VideoLAN will show CC.

I need to cross reference the PMT data structure and what is found in the streaminfo file.
Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Thanks you kaye for your analysis; for forgiveness of my errors/omissions/suggestions, I can say the structures has been derived from TR-50 structures and little bit verified by files from K77 more then 3 years ago. Since that time I lost ability to work with DVR+ and switched to its predecessor, original UK version HDR-610R. But that model has different source of data [based on DVB-T/T2]. I did check many times for TR-50, my generated PAT/PMT by SI file info perfectly works for all all A/V PIDs. While I never check CC metadata, actually found it works regardless what I missed from SI file when rebuilt PAT/PMT. Also I found no use or what that unknown "type" of sub-streams V or A in SI file means. Perhaps it's just e* internal indexes for FW use only. All necessary DVB types I did extract from analyzing A/V metadata of first chunk of TS [TSP] files, 1 or 2 MB.
Old Today, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My older version of the DVR+ software may have a bug that failed when two services were available and the newer version that made this record may have been fixed. I am just afraid to update since my system is working and I have read posts where the updates introduced new issues that I would like to avoid. ...
I certainly understand your reluctance to install another DVR+ version, but unless you are running a version that was not made available for download (such as 115R), you can install any available version, and later return to your favorite version. It's a fairly simple "Maintenance Reset" process, and I have done it many times, including recently reverting from 134R to 132R. No settings or recordings are lost, although sometimes the WiFi password may be required if the dongle was unplugged and not reconnected before the DVR+ boots.

Click HERE to go to wiscojim's post where a link to a DropBox account containing all 10 available DVR+ updates can be downloaded, including 114R. I suggest that you download all of them for safe keeping!

Here's my post on installing updates using the Maintenance Reset procedure.

Below is a YouTube video by Channel Master on installing updates using the Maintenance Reset method. It is somewhat outdated (for example, the Channel Master web pages have changed, the download is not hosted by Dropbox, etc.), it overlooks a couple of things (like formatting the Flash Drive to FAT32), the camera angle doesn't allow seeing the LED color changes (Mike has his hand in the way), and of course CM only posts the latest version, but in general it will give you an idea of the process. Mike also unplugs the USB EHD without using the menu system to properly disconnect it, which is not the best idea.

Quote:
I am 99% certain the streams are still in the *.ts file. ...
I am 100% certain that the CC data are in the TS file, because when I remuxed the TS files, with VideoReDo, I did so with the TS files being the only files in the folder, so VideoReDo could not possibly acquire those data from anywhere else, and CCExtractor easily created SRT files from the remuxed TS files, while it finds no subtitles in the original TS files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement