AVS Forum banner

Channel Master DVR+ Options

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Atavar4 
#1 ·
I am planning to purchase a Channel Master DVR+ and have a few questions about suggested model and setup.

1. Is internal or external storage preferable? The internal 1 TB drive on CM-7500TB1 seems more convenient than setting up a portable drive but also seems harder to fix or replace.
2. Does the WiFi adapter really add additional programming schedules even if I already have a continuous Ethernet connection?
Also, if I set a show to record but will it just receive the current picture reception at that time?, e.g. a storm might blow the antenna off course during recording.

Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I would suggest the external as the unit itself is cheaper, USB drives are cheap (1TB Toshiba is around $40). Plus user pachinko created a awesome app that allows you to plug your USB hard drive into your PC and it pulls the shows off for archiving.

The Wifi connection adds nothing more if you already have Ethernet connection. The DVR+ (or any DVR) can only record the picture available at the time of the recording. But generally storms do not disrupt my OTA picture like they did when I had DirecTV.

#3 ·
I am planning to purchase a Channel Master DVR+ and have a few questions about suggested model and setup.

1. Is internal or external storage preferable? The internal 1 TB drive on CM-7500TB1 seems more convenient than setting up a portable drive but also seems harder to fix or replace.
If you are willing to spend $400 for a DVR+ with an internal HDD, why not a TiVo Roamio OTA for the same price. Take a close look and compare the capabilities/features.

Reactions: osu1991
#4 ·
I have the DVR+ and like it quite a bit. If you buy the 16GB version and add one of the drives Channel Master recommends you are at about $300 - $350. I had an old 3.5" drive in an external enclosure but the recent software update made it unusable, so I'd recommend buying only one of the drives CM recommends (they give the model numbers on their website, and the 1 TB Seagate they recommend is much cheaper at Amazon or NewEgg). The internal 1 TB version would have the advantage of being one small box instead of two small boxes, but that doesn't matter to me.

The guide data on the DVR+ pulls in stations you should be able to get based on your zip code. It works great for me, as most of the stations I get OTA are in Los Angeles. But I have one station in Santa Barbara that I pick up, and the extended guide data isn't available for it. Instead, I get the PSIP data that the station itself transmits along with the signal. Typically that feed is the next 24 - 48 hours, not two weeks like you see for the guide data for the stations based on your zip code. Not a big deal for me, but if you are between two major markets it is something to be aware of; even if you can pick up stations from both markets, the Rovio guide data may not include some of the stations. The Roamio OTA is different, from what I understand. That's the major difference why you might pick the Roamio over the DVR+. I think the Roamio OTA has reverted to a monthly guide fee of $15 (for a while they sold them with the lifetime guide subscription).

If you have ethernet you do not need the wifi adapter. Buy the unit without it and save the $30 or so they charge for it. I have mine wired into ethernet.

#8 ·
For that price, Roamio OTA also includes built-in WiFi and the peanut remote that should have come with the DVR+ but CM now charges $30 extra for -- but it's still not RF like the Roamio's remote is. And, don't forget the 4 tuners in the Roamio and whole-house ready.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.