post #61 of 68 Old 01-14-2003, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by tlcfargo
When I spoke with Direct's Tivo Lady, she was smiling but NOT encouraging about New Programming. I mentioned ESPN-HD (they had an HD Sports Bar at the entrance), and she smiled and shook her head side to side. No winks, nothing -- "You'll have to wait and see." All she would cop to was the new PPV that was in the press release.

I was so disheartened that I didn't bother to ask her about HD Sunday Ticket.
I mentioned ESPN-HD in the context of them losing customers, as in some customers will migrate if they can't archive and many more will leave anybody who doesn't have ESPN-HD. She said that they don't release any information until they have contracts, but the twinkle in her eye seemed to imply that they would have it.

--Darin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 01-14-2003, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Darin-

I got a similar response from her. I also asked the followup and that is It's not a question of if DirecTV will have these new HDTV channels, it is a question of when. She agreed that was the best way of describing it. "That when HDTV becomes mainstream DirecTV will certainly make more effort to run the newer HDTV offerings much sooner. Currently HDTV just doesn't command that much attention as does carrying new locals. But, she said, as you can see by this show HDTV is here to stay and DirecTV isn't blind to that."
post #63 of 68 Old 01-15-2003, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Landis
FYI on the 921- you need to adjust your thinking because the 921 will be Dish's first "authorized" PVR that is designed to have the user installable hard drive, complete with swap capability and, DVD-R drive possibilities as well as DVD Blue ray too. It will all be in later versions of the software but for now, only the hardware is in place to allow for user swappable Hard drives.
I spent over an hour talking to both of Eldon's engineers and to several Echostar employees. All agreed on one thing, no decision has been made on any upgrade options for their mythical 921. One of Eldon's engineers said that there were lots of possibilities, but none had even been tried yet.

/carmi
post #64 of 68 Old 01-15-2003, 02:54 PM

After talking to people in the DirecTV booth the first day, my strong belief is that ESPN-HD will be on DirecTV in March or April, but that Discovery HD will NOT. I also came away with the strong impression that NFL Sunday Ticket would have at least one game in HD each week.

And BTW, me 6. The response was rude and insulting and way too defensive. While you may not have time for this, you should at least make time for an apology.

Dennis
post #65 of 68 Old 01-16-2003, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DennisR
After talking to people in the DirecTV booth the first day, my strong belief is that ESPN-HD will be on DirecTV in March or April, but that Discovery HD will NOT. I also came away with the strong impression that NFL Sunday Ticket would have at least one game in HD each week.

Dennis
This fits what I heard. Several different DirecTv reps told me that they announced a 24-hour PPV channel, and would soon have announcements on ESPN-HD and a second HDNet channel, but that they did not think Discovery HD Theatre was likely anytime soon. When I asked why one said that they did not feel there was enough content on it and that it was too expensive per sub.

As always with statements on unannounced products, I would not hold my breath waiting.

/carmi
post #66 of 68 Old 01-16-2003, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by majortom
This fits what I heard. Several different DirecTv reps told me that they announced a 24-hour PPV channel, and would soon have announcements on ESPN-HD and a second HDNet channel, but that they did not think Discovery HD Theatre was likely anytime soon. When I asked why one said that they did not feel there was enough content on it and that it was too expensive per sub.

As always with statements on unannounced products, I would not hold my breath waiting.

/carmi
This also matches with what has been stated by others. While I would like DiscoveryHD I would much rather have ESPN-HD, another HDnet, and HD football via NFL-ST than Discovery. DirecTV's plan seems to be to keep the HD channels as part of the normal DirecTV packages and it is likely that DirecTV would have to charge for Discovery which they may not want to do.
post #67 of 68 Old 01-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
I talked to a lady at the DirecTv booth at CES about the new HD PVR. I asked her about firewire and she said that they won't have it, since they want to protect their content providers.
I suspect the reason is really technical. They'd have to MPEG encode all the menu screens on the fly, including the overlayed channel guide. This is a challenge for DVD players with firewire output as well.

I hope they work it out fast though -- others will.
Firewire chains and the Tivo UI would get my $$.
post #68 of 68 Old 01-29-2003, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 23
The firewire camp is actually 2 groups of people. One is the Mistubishi group, which want menus passed via Firewire with, what is it, HAVI or something? The other group is the archivers, who don't care one iota about passing menus and would like the firewire out to be like video out w/o OSD.

Put me in the Archive group. I have been with DirecTV since before they bought USSB. Maybe not one of the very first subs, but definitely an early adopter. I will leave them in a heartbeat if they drop the ball on this, though. Perhaps they need to ask themselves why DISH keeps gaining on them when they are looking in their rear view mirror...
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page