post #361 of 368 Old 03-07-2003, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by David Wallis
By the time we hopefully have some 1080i pre-recorded HD-Dvd software, with the correct flag encodings (individual frames = 1080p), we hopefully will also have many more affordable display devices that are fully capable of showing such detail/resolution.
For film-originated content, the ideal MPEG-2 flags would be progressive_sequence=1 and frame_rate_code=1 (23.976Hz). That way, all of the frames are required to be progressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 368 Old 03-07-2003, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
David, I think the one thing we should be cautious of in this discussion is getting too hung up on the subject of resolution. I have learned over the years that resolution is but one aspect of PQ. Issues such as color quality, linearity, convergence issues (in non-fixed pixel devices), focus etc. all contribute mightily to PQ. There are many many times that a lower resolution display will produce a superior picture because it gets many other things "right".

Having had one of the most highly rated 9" gunned HD RPTVs and then going to the latest generation top end 50" Plasmas, I have what I feel is a significantly better picture. The "statistics" say I should have lost resolution, but you sure could fool me and the overall improvements in just about all other areas of PQ make for a superior picture. I guess I've really strayed off the topic now.
post #363 of 368 Old 03-07-2003, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

kipp, mikey, and MikeM,

And I bet you all work at Sinclair, right? I support HDTV and I support 8-VSB, and have from the start. I wish certain individuals would refrain from making personal attacks, and try to preserve some level of civility on the forums. If you can't make your arguments (which is what we do in discussions like this) in a civil manner, without attacking others, then you shouldn't be posting.

As I have said many times, I would like to see full resolution analog output on HD-DVD. But what I would like, and what I would get in a dream world, is completely different from what I expect to happen, based on all the information we have. I have seen no evidence to support the idea that we will have pre-recorded blue-laser or blu-ray HD-DVD content in the next y ear, nor have I seen any evidence to support the idea that the studios will support or accept full resolution HD-DVD through analog output. And no one yet has presented any evidence to support either of those assertions, so far as I can see (wishful thinking does not = fact or evidence).
post #364 of 368 Old 03-08-2003, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
kipp, mikey, and MikeM,

And I bet you all work at Sinclair, right? I support HDTV and I support 8-VSB, and have from the start. I wish certain individuals would refrain from making personal attacks, and try to preserve some level of civility on the forums. If you can't make your arguments (which is what we do in discussions like this) in a civil manner, without attacking others, then you shouldn't be posting.

As I have said many times, I would like to see full resolution analog output on HD-DVD. But what I would like, and what I would get in a dream world, is completely different from what I expect to happen, based on all the information we have. I have seen no evidence to support the idea that we will have pre-recorded blue-laser or blu-ray HD-DVD content in the next y ear, nor have I seen any evidence to support the idea that the studios will support or accept full resolution HD-DVD through analog output. And no one yet has presented any evidence to support either of those assertions, so far as I can see (wishful thinking does not = fact or evidence).
Good morning Mr. Cut-and-Paste aka The Man With No Name:

I can see you have started this morning off right where you left off yesterday being 1) condescending and 2) evasive.

First of all, I always get a kick out of guys like you with all of three to four months and 400 posts of experience on here who lecture other members and long time veterans with thousands of posts about decorum and civility. It's inappropriate coming from you.

Second, the counter-points, civil arguments and opposite take on this issue has been eloquently described not once, not twice but at least five times in this thread and just like you ignore questions about who you are and your background, you seem to be unable to digest, understand or fathom them. This is why the decorum has degenerated.

You choose to cut-and-paste articles from non-descript sources in many cases and draw your conclusions as if on an English 101 assignment in High School. That's admirable I must say. However, you also choose not to acknowledge the counter argument made by several other members including myself who have used historical socio-economic impacts relative to new home entertainment technology, existing marketing trends, feasible reasons and answers re: DVI and where it's going and other reality checks.

I think what you need to do is take a Valium, re-read this thread and somehow come away with the conclusion that you made your point, we made ours and let it go. If not, then I will know you to be more than just a shill for some paranoid content provider like DTV. Instead you will appear as a troll (someone who only posts to provoke and beat a dead horse merely to amuse themselves).

Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish.
post #365 of 368 Old 03-08-2003, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Man, I hate to say it, but this thread is really starting to look more and more like a ng. God help us.
post #366 of 368 Old 03-08-2003, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Ross
Man, I hate to say it, but this thread is really starting to look more and more like a ng. God help us.
Ken, my good friend: what pray tell is an "ng"? It doesn't sound good whatever it is.

Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...with nail polish.
post #367 of 368 Old 03-08-2003, 07:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mike, "ng" references the infamous "newsgroups" where much of the slime of the world congregates and calls each other names. The use of 4 letter words is more common than in a street gang. The original, higher mission of a "ng" is to discuss technical topics, but you have to sort through about 10 posts of name calling before you get to one of substance. Some of it REALLY gets vicious. These are unmoderated forums, anything goes. It's quite an experience.
post #368 of 368 Old 03-08-2003, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I'm going to close this topic until I have the time to do some serious editing.

In the future, please inform me that a topic has gone bad, as opposed to letting this happen again.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page