Looking for digital recording options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Looking for digital recording options

I'm currently using Dish Network and time slipping with a VCR. It time to move forward and replace the VCR and looking for options.

I'd like to move into a DVR or something similar, but with no subscriptions. It makes no sense to me to subscribe to something for the sole purpose of recording what I'm already receiving.

I've looker at Channel Master and they told me they only record OTA.

What are the options I should look into to do simple time slipping? Multiple inputs might be useful because I may add OTA sometime this year, but not yet.

Any suggestions on devices I should look into?

Thanks,
Walt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Did you look through this thread The Official AVS HDTV Recording Synopsis!
?
With Dish your options for a DVR are limited to their DVRs or something that can record from HDMI like one of these:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...recorders.html
John
post #3 of 14 Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
You have no options as long as you use Dish as your provider. Not even TiVo can record from satellite TV; DVRs that aren't tied to specific providers can only handle cable and OTA.

post #4 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't understand why. The outputs from the receiver are TV Out (coax), Component, SVideo. There is no HDMI output.
I can record fine on a VCR. What's the problem with a non-subscription DVR?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Because none of the outputs you mentioned are HD and very few people are interested in recording options that aren't HD.
Amazon may sell a few standalone HDMI recorders that are priced ~$300 but they seem to be directly imported from China and are no name brands. They also record to their HDD but it's not something that can be read directly on a PC, IOW they'll only play back on the device that recorded them.
As mentioned if you want to involve a PC you can build a few things on your own but nothing is available as a standalone pre built product.

Note if all your interested in is SD then I guess a DVDR like one of the Magnavoxes w/HDD would be an option and better than a VCR. They'd record from your S-video out(best available input to the Magnavoxes) and program like a VCR with start/stop times. They come with up to a 1TB HDD and you can burn things off to DVD if you want. For more info on them check the DVD Recorders forum here on AVS and check out Wajo's sticky thread.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
I don't understand why. The outputs from the receiver are TV Out (coax), Component, SVideo. There is no HDMI output.
I can record fine on a VCR. What's the problem with a non-subscription DVR?
DVRs do not record from outputs. That's what a capture card does. A DVR connects to the TV feed itself (antenna, cable) and records the original signal that the station/cable company is sending out. Satellite TV is proprietary and doesn't allow other devices to connect to it, so you have to use the special DVR that the satellite TV company wants you to use.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Because none of the outputs you mentioned are HD and very few people are interested in recording options that aren't HD.
Actually, if the OP has component output, as he indicated, that is HD when tuned to an HD channel.

There are PVRs made by Hauppauge (same manufacturer as linked to by ctdish above) that will record from component input. $150-$160. Requires a computer. I've never used one but I bet someone here has. The input would be analog HD quality on HD channels and the storage would be encoded digital (H.264).

DRCars

Last edited by dmatch; 01-19-2016 at 02:34 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatch View Post
Actually, if the OP has component output, as he indicated, that is HD when tuned to an HD channel.
Component can be HD but it can also be SD. Now I don't know if all satellite STBs that have component are also HD but in the case of something like a DVD player it can have component output and still only be SD. My guess is anything with S-video output is so old that it would be SD only, but this is only a guess

There
Quote:
are PVRs made by Hauppauge (same manufacturer as linked to by ctdish above) that will record from component input. $150-$160. I've never used one but I bet someone here has. The input would be analog HD quality on HD channels and the storage would be encoded digital (H.264).

DRCars
Agreed, basically to do what the OP wants(if they want HD) they'd have to be willing to put something together themselves and include a PC, otherwise sticking with SD a DVDR would what they want, very very few DVDRs had component inputs and the few that did were generally knock off brands and poorly built, and also only accepted 480i not even 480p.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
There are many cable and satellite boxes that have S-Video SD out along with Component SD and HD out.

This is the rear view of my Motorola DCX3400 that will output up to 1920 x 1080i via the component out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back-Big-1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	1195370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back-small-1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1195386  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-20-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Yes, you can use component or s-video outputs to record content and create a "DVR", but keep in mind you'd need one satellite box for each channel you wanted to watch/record simultaneously as that is where the tuner resides. Not really realistic, IMO. But if you just want to replace a VCR function, it'll work.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-20-2016, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I'm missing something here?

You already have Dish, why not just call them and get a Dish PVR? As you never had one before I'm sure they have new customer deals. They do take care of loyal customers.

And you can hook up USB disk drives and archive recordings as well. The only caveat is that those recording will only play on DVRs tied to your account. You can't take those files and play them on your computer for example.

While some of the suggestions above like the Hauppauge card do work, you seem like the kind of person that doesn't want the hassles of a bug ridden DIY computer setup.

Just get a Dish PVR. You will be quite happy.

P.S. I do not work for Dish!
post #12 of 14 Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
If you want a dvr without monthly fees for Dish. Get a Dish 211k receiver and add your own external usb hard drive, pay Dish a one time $40 activation fee and then the dvr software is loaded from the Dish satellites to the external drive and 211k then works just like any other Dish dvr except no other recurring dvr fees.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-20-2016, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

There are PVRs made by Hauppauge (same manufacturer as linked to by ctdish above) that will record from component input. $150-$160. Requires a computer. I've never used one but I bet someone here has. The input would be analog HD quality on HD channels and the storage would be encoded digital (H.264).
You may be out of luck trying to find one, but if your cable box does Component-Out, there's actually a self-contained box by AverMedia called the EzRecorder Plus (not the EzRecorder 130, which does HDMI capture) that could be what the OP is looking for. It does scheduling (in a minor way, just standard one-input record-what's-on like a VCR), it has an IR blaster to tune the channels, and captures without the use of a PC. Only component (which is why I turned it down years ago, needed SVIDEO) but it could help.

http://avertv.avermedia.com/avertv/P...il.aspx?Id=572

The AverMedia Game Capture HD 2 box also does Component capture, but it doesn't have the IR blaster for changing channels.

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Capt...dp/B00F890KXU/

Alternately, there's the old Monsoon Vulkano boxes, which I have tried and unfortunately have little good to say about. They were promising as recorders (you could use your PC and a guide to schedule recordings), but as a set-top box, you couldn't watch a recording while recording and it was woefully underpowered and out of date even in 2010. Still, a Component recorder, and if you use a separate playback device then maybe it'd be OK for you.

http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/products.html

(*Keep in mind that we're assuming there's no Macrovision copy-protection on the Component-out signal. Given that the SD isn't protected, maybe the HD/P signal won't be either, but it's possible one's clean and one's protected, and if it's not clean then it's no good as a DVR.)

It might feel like your options suck given that there's no awesome single DVR solution (a WinPC recorder is doable BTW, investigate that if you can arrange for it,) but to me you're actually in a good position if you can capture Component, as most of us are stuck with cable boxes that only spit protected HDMI signal. Hang on to it, and give some of these odd boxes a looksee.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Monsoon got sued by Sling and lost. The ruling was that they could no longer import their products into the US. So, unless there's something I missed I doubt one could be had easily in the US. Maybe a used one. Belkin @TV is almost identical to the Vulkano Flow (Vulkano will actually run its software I think). They got sued also but they settled the suit and are being allowed to sell out their merchandise. In either case these devices won't be around much longer. A SlingBox won't record like those 2 boxes will.

DRCars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page