1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearrean

Old 03-01-2016, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hopper 3 HD Resolution

Dish is claiming that the new Hopper 3 moves their HD signal from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080. Does anyone know if this is true?

We're looking to make a change, but don't want to if it results in an inferior picture quality. When I had Dish years ago the HD source was 1440x1080.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyland View Post
Dish is claiming that the new Hopper 3 moves their HD signal from 1440x1080 to 1920x1080. Does anyone know if this is true?

We're looking to make a change, but don't want to if it results in an inferior picture quality. When I had Dish years ago the HD source was 1440x1080.
If the source is still 1440x1080, the Hopper3 can't change that. Your TV is already upscaling the signal to 1920x1080 and I doubt the Hopper 3 can do any better than your TV.
By the way, where did you see this "claim"?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
The Dish sales lady made the claim. I was dubious. She claimed that with the Hopper 3 they had changed their signal to support normal 1080i resolution. I asked if the box was upscaling or if the source had been improved. She insisted the source had been improved. Having been around this issue with Dish many many years ago, I didn't exactly trust what she was saying. I figured if there would be any place that would know honestly... there'd be someone on AVS Forums that would.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Frankly, a sufficient bit rate for lower resolution is a far superior PQ to full resolution and low bit rate. It really is about the bit rate. In other words, you need to see the PQ to judge and the better PQ may just be the lower resolution with higher bit rate. Consider how poor the HD PQ is for many OTA's that have multilple channels in the mux. I can say that Dish's HD PQ has been quite good and even better than some direct OTA to divice PQ's. However, right now Dish is varying PQ as they adjust to gaining more bandwidth and some PQ that was not so good is looking better.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 24
DISH Hopper3 and the connected Joey's have a WORSE/HORRIBLE/TERRIBLE resolution compared to the Hopper2 and the old Joeys. Not only that the Sound quality is so muffled it is not even funny. I have to up the sound level on my AVR 5 DB to get equivalent sound with these new devices. We have to do the same on our TV when the AVR is not in use.

Cable and Dish are about the only monopolies where once you get sucked in you cannot get out especially if you are South Asian. It is a Money pit.

Anyone else feel like the Hopper3 is a downgrade? I have tried every permutation and combination on the Audio Setup and nothing works.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No difference here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
DISH Hopper3 and the connected Joey's have a WORSE/HORRIBLE/TERRIBLE resolution compared to the Hopper2 and the old Joeys. Not only that the Sound quality is so muffled it is not even funny. I have to up the sound level on my AVR 5 DB to get equivalent sound with these new devices. We have to do the same on our TV when the AVR is not in use.

Cable and Dish are about the only monopolies where once you get sucked in you cannot get out especially if you are South Asian. It is a Money pit.

Anyone else feel like the Hopper3 is a downgrade? I have tried every permutation and combination on the Audio Setup and nothing works.
I personally haven't had that issue with my Hopper 3. I just got it installed earlier this week & as far as resolution (1080P), mine is great particularity on HD SAT channels. The only 4K source I've tried so far is on Netflix & just the start of Marco Polo (because I had been told it's a great test of 4K), but I didn't see anything that great. But when I checked the resolution in Netflix, it did show 2160 in the upper left corner of my Samsung display. I'm hoping that (less than stellar) PQ was just a fluke because if not, 4K is not what's it's been made out to be.
Also, my audio seems fine with no noticeable difference & I, like you, run through my AVR. But my db level is about the same between the Hopper 3 vs. Hopper 2.

Ken
AVSF458 likes this.

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post
I personally haven't had that issue with my Hopper 3. I just got it installed earlier this week & as far as resolution (1080P), mine is great particularity on HD SAT channels. The only 4K source I've tried so far is on Netflix & just the start of Marco Polo (because I had been told it's a great test of 4K), but I didn't see anything that great. But when I checked the resolution in Netflix, it did show 2160 in the upper left corner of my Samsung display. I'm hoping that (less than stellar) PQ was just a fluke because if not, 4K is not what's it's been made out to be.
Also, my audio seems fine with no noticeable difference & I, like you, run through my AVR. But my db level is about the same between the Hopper 3 vs. Hopper 2.

Ken
Hearrean thanks for the reply. Which AVR do you have? I have the Denon 4520CI and mine has turned out to be a dog. Must be something wrong with y Joey. The Hopper3 seems to be OK. The $K I am told will not look that great especially Netflix. What model is your Samsung. I read that unless it is one of the top models with HDR 4K is not ge=rest. Also you have to sit closer to your TV to notice the better picture. You may want to read up on it.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 21
As to my AVR, I have the Pioneer Elite VSX-90; my TV is Samsung UHD 65JS8500, so they are both truly 4K as well as my Hopper 3, which is what I used to tune to Netflix. (I haven't tried my Roku 4 yet, which I need to to see if the poor PQ is any better than via the Hopper). As far as my sitting distance, I'm aware that to get the best effect, you need to sit as close as possible, however due to our Living Room configuration, we're stuck at about a 10' distance.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just got the H3 a few weeks ago. It's an upgrade to our 722 we had for a couple months. And the 612 for 8 years before it went out. The PQ really depends on the source. Some channels look great, others have artifacts. Never had any problems with sound on any of our Dish receivers before.

During the Olympics, the 4K replay channels were incredible! Netflix app switches HDMI source material output (SD/720/1080) to 2160P. Our internet is too slow for 4K though. Netflix reports 720, but the H3 upscales to 2160 as per the TV.

I did have a problem with Netflix blacking out the screen intermittently when switching over from regular channels. I would have to turn off the TV or restart the H3, or unplugging/reconnecting the HDMI cable, to get a picture back. Tried different cables. Same problem. This also happened intermittently when displaying 4 channel PIP, and 4K during the Olympics. I believe it's a handshake issue with our H3/TV combo. I recently switched input of the H3 to the AVR instead of straight to the TV and haven't had any drop out issues with Netflix since.

TV - LG 55EG9600
AVR - Yamaha RX-V679
Sponsored Links
Advertisement