Closed Thread

post #91 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problem solved,

It was the self-cleaning thingy that was the issue. Its plastic was not bend enough so that it would not touch the heads when the tape was inserted/ejected. I bend it back to its original position so that it does clean the heads when the tape is iserted/ejected.

No more annoying dropouts every few tapes.

Leszek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I got my deck back from JVC with the 'fix'

So far no pixualations but still have audio dropouts and sometime video freezes from recordings made from DISH modulator (Showtime HD)

Anyone else?
post #93 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
Problem solved,

It was the self-cleaning thingy that was the issue. Its plastic was not bend enough so that it would not touch the heads when the tape was inserted/ejected. I bend it back to its original position so that it does clean the heads when the tape is iserted/ejected.

No more annoying dropouts every few tapes.

Leszek
Hmmm. It seems that a requirement in owning a JVC product is that you be able to take it apart and diagnose it on a regular basis. Leszek, how the heck did you figure that one out?

Bob
post #94 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I have heard from many that the self-cleaning thingy should actually be taken out because it wears your heads out quicker.

Dave
post #95 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bpearse
Hmmm. It seems that a requirement in owning a JVC product is that you be able to take it apart and diagnose it on a regular basis. Leszek, how the heck did you figure that one out?

Bob
Bob,

I took the cover off and watched what happens when I inserted a tape. I suspected the self-cleaning thingy was the issue as my heads never before got so dirty in 50 hours.

Dave,

If you're willing to clean the heads yourself fairly often, then removing the self-cleaning thingy will allow your heads to last longer. However you wil have to clean them probably every 10 tapes or so. After 50 hours I could not record anything onto a 160 minute tape! (On a 120 I was getting 3-5 dropouts per hour). One more thing, the heads will last a lot longer using the self-cleaner than using the cleaning tape that they send you with the deck upgrade/new deck.

Leszek
post #96 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 02:04 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

I haven't heard from "many", but Roger (gridleak), a trustworthy source, did form the impression that the little head-cleaning gizmo did more harm than good--not so much by wearing the heads as by doing a lousy job of cleaning.

His recommendation was to take it out and leave it out.

I suppose that could mean you'd need to clean it manually more often.

Ron Gomes
post #97 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I do clean my heads manually. But, no way have I had to clean that often.
I do still have the cleaning thing in.

Dave
post #98 of 121 Old 07-02-2003, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rrg
I haven't heard from "many", but Roger (gridleak), a trustworthy source, did form the impression that the little head-cleaning gizmo did more harm than good--not so much by wearing the heads as by doing a lousy job of cleaning.
I'm not surprised. The tension for that gizmo is regulated by a flimsy plastic piece that you can bend at will... It's very easy for that thing to either apply too much pressure or not at all.

Quote:

His recommendation was to take it out and leave it out.

I suppose that could mean you'd need to clean it manually more often.
I'm leaving mine in. I don't want to clean my heads that often.
post #99 of 121 Old 07-03-2003, 02:10 PM

Hi all,

I have several dropouts with my 30k and I am thinking about sending it to JVC. As you might see I'm from Germany, so sending the JVC in is expensive and somehow risky.

So my question is: Is the "fix" worth the risk and money?

One more question: What if the deck is not covered by warranty anymore? Bad luck?

Thx
NetRacer
post #100 of 121 Old 07-03-2003, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

All the mention of the cleaning tape and warning card on fixed units has me wondering. These fixed units still have a built in head cleaner, correct? The Head Cleaning tape is no more necessary on the "fixed" units than it is on the non-fixed ones, is it?
post #101 of 121 Old 07-03-2003, 05:59 PM
rrg
Advanced Member

My take is that by providing the head-cleaning tape JVC is acknowledging that this unit is prone to head-clogging, and that regular cleaning of the heads (regardless of the built-in head-cleaning dohickey) is likely to be necessary.

Ron Gomes
post #102 of 121 Old 07-03-2003, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Ron. The build-in "head-cleaner" will not completely eliminate the need for head cleaning. However it does help a lot. When it was working fine on my deck I went over 1000 hours(!) without cleaning the heads. When it was not working properly (after the upgrade) my heads got clogged after only 50 hours.

Regardless though, one should clean the capstain and pinch roller at least every 200 hours in this particular deck. I clean mine every 100-150 hours.

Leszek
post #103 of 121 Old 07-04-2003, 01:44 PM

Guys,

I have a question. I received my new 30k a few days ago from onecall.com and am very happy with its performance as far picture and sound. I do seem to have one problem though. The door on my unit does not open when I eject the tape. It seems to be sticking. I went to Circuit City and noticed the one they have on display operates much smoother than mine. Do you guys think I should be concerned with this? --Edward
post #104 of 121 Old 07-04-2003, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

My door was sticky also. It loosened up after some use.
post #105 of 121 Old 07-04-2003, 03:16 PM

Do you think it would be ok to put some 3 in 1 oil or wd40 on the hinges. --Edward
post #106 of 121 Old 07-09-2003, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Howdy,

I finally had some time over the July 4 weekend to dig the box out of the basement, pull the unit out of the rack and get it all bundled up for shipment.

I was about to call the JVC service center to arrange repair when I noticed that the warranty is 1 year parts, but only 90 days labor.

Has anybody had any difficulty getting "the fix" completely covered by warranty? Is there some magic phrase that needs to be uttered?

Thanks!

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #107 of 121 Old 07-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

The magic word is "UPGRADE"

you don't even need to show receipt.

Send it to New Jersey.. and they'll take care of it
post #108 of 121 Old 07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Excellent. Thank you.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #109 of 121 Old 07-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Just got mine back from NJ. I bought mine last October, and had no problems with my 30k whatsoever before I sent it in. But I had maybe 100 hours of use, and figured this is "preventive maintenance".

The work order was simply labeled "upgrade". They included the head cleaner with clear instructions not to use SVHS for HDTV, ever, and always leave digital noise reduction left on.

Bad news-- they must have messed with the output levels, as now the 30k won't work at all through a belkin auto KVM switch. It used to work 99% of the time, except for high white-level scenes (causes tearing). Now I catch a glimpse of a picture with tearing before the Mits blacks out. Darnit. It's a known problem that KVM switches clip at above 1 volt (if I remember correctly). Therefore KVM switches are only good for RGB, and not component. So I have to replace it with a manual KVM switch (no remote control switching of inputs!)

Anybody know of a KVM switch with really great specs that can handle component???? Belkin Omniview doesn't work.

Secondly, it seems like the transport is much louder now, and grinds to a stop. I'll keep testing it to see if there are other issues. Is the moral if it ain't broken don't fix it? We'll see.

Spearse

post #110 of 121 Old 07-11-2003, 09:59 PM

I use the Zektor HDS4 switcher and it works great. It also has digital coax/toslink switching and is remote controlled.

- Doug
post #111 of 121 Old 07-11-2003, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Ditto on the Zektor.
post #112 of 121 Old 07-12-2003, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I use the one from www.latencyzero.com which has 8 inputs and also does digital audio and is remote- (and serial-) controllable. Depending upon how many component/HD sources you have, you might want to give it a look.

Mike Kobb
post #113 of 121 Old 07-12-2003, 04:29 PM

Hi Guys,

Just in case anyone out there has a sticky door on their 30K as I did, WD-40 fixed it right up. It's operation is smooth as silk now. ---Edward
post #114 of 121 Old 07-13-2003, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What is the best source for a Zektor HDS4 ? Extron switches have had good reputation for signal quality. I hope Zektor is as good.

I do not know if there is a comparable model, with IR remote control, from Extron.

Comments please..

Thank you.
post #115 of 121 Old 07-13-2003, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think Extron makes one that also does audio. At least, the didn't when I was shopping. Maybe that's changed, but that's why I ended up with the one I did.

Mike Kobb
post #116 of 121 Old 07-14-2003, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello all,
Have been reading the boards for a few months off and on, but am at a loss as to what to do. I really don't have a high end home theater, but I purchased a HM-DH30K because I record quite a bit and wanted to make it top quality. I am impressed with D-VHS immensely. I currently do not have a HDTV set (and probably won't for at least 2 more years). I have made about 5 hours of D-VHS recording (STD/LS3) and around 30 hrs of VHS/S-VHS ET plus playbacks of all recordings. I am worried about having the problems mentioned here come up when I actually do start to play back/record HD HS speed tapes (which is the only problem, correct?). Should I have JVC do the firmware upgrade/fix just to be safe? So far, I have noticed mild to moderate compression artifacts consisting of small blocks usually in areas of high contrast, but I think they may be due to my DSS (of course I have no way to know since I don't have analog cable for the same channels to do a true comparison). Is it possible they are due to the 30K instead and would be fixed by the upgrade? Should JVC upgrade it even if I don't have any symptoms, another poster said they should. Any opinions as to what to do are appreciated.
thanks,
Chris
post #117 of 121 Old 07-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by i86time
Hello all,

Should JVC upgrade it even if I don't have any symptoms, another poster said they should. Any opinions as to what to do are appreciated.
thanks,
Chris

Anyone.

All I ever want is everything
post #118 of 121 Old 08-06-2003, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey,

How long did the fix take for you guys? Anybody had it be a couple of weeks? I shipped my Kenwood 5050 to San Diego for their "upgrade" program and the JVC to New Jersey on the same day, ground.

The Kenwood was back in under a week, and I have heard nothing from JVC.

Maybe it's just taking a long time in UPS-land, but I'm interested nonetheless. I would have shipped it faster, but with double-boxing the shipping was already $60 ground!

Mike Kobb
post #119 of 121 Old 08-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Tuohy,
Just tell JVC what you want-- new firmware, realignment, upgrade kit and they will do it.

JustMike,
Plan on 2-3 weeks. They won't tell you anything, it will just show up at your doorstep.

Spearse

post #120 of 121 Old 08-06-2003, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks.

Mike Kobb
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page