Boostwave Converter/PVR? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Boostwave Converter/PVR?

Anyone tried this one? It's the only one on Amazon that I've seen that claims to have a 7-day EPG. Not many reviews. And boostwave's website doesn't promote it. They have a manual and doesn't look very different from the ematic I bought at Walmart to try. The remote seems the same except for one button. EPG interface looks the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 211
https://www.amazon.com/BoostWaves%C2...wave+converter
Basically another iView clone. The 7day guide is simply a PISP guide that they all have, I believe 7 days just happens to be the maximum amount stations can go out, many only go out 12hrs or even less, even though by law they are supposed to go out 12hrs minimum.
Personally I'd go for a iView or Homeworx, both of which have the component output this one lacks and are more well known. Not saying this one is bad, just unknown.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Do they all have stupid remotes?

Seriously. The buttons used to control playback & deletion of recordings is really stupid. And it's cluttered with buttons that aren't needed at all.
I hate remotes with an exit button. Just hit the menu button or whichever button again to make it go away.
Why a play, pause & stop? These can toggle.
As far as I can tell the forward & advance buttons on my ematic labeled prev & next don't do anything.
There's a button labeled timer that seems to display the recording schedule. So I hit the USB button to see recordings. Timer button to see schedule. Why aren't they near to each other?
Why is button labeled Hold? Zoom? Repeat?
And the stupid thing does seem to have a sleep timer, while I appreciate that in a TV, what's the point of it being in a DVR? It goes on standby when not in use.

Why is there a goto button? why can't the ok button do whatever the goto button is meant to do.

If it's not on a TIVO remote, you don't need it.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree, basically all the remotes for these generic boxes suck, some less than others but they all suck. I'm also extremely use to a Tivo "peanut" remote and really appreciate the way it fits in the hand and it's limited number of buttons, all of which do what I want. Crummy remote is my biggest beef with these boxes. If you think the current remotes are bad you should try one of the original iView remotes, if you ever had a Cyberhome DVD player($19.95 in the day....and worth every penny of it.....) it should remind you of the original iView remote, full of tiny buttons you never used and the ones you want are in illogical places and probably designed for a tiny Asian's fingers
I suppose if you could get a good universal remote(maybe JP1 or even the expensive Harmony) using one of these might be more enjoyable but I'm one that really likes to use the OEM remote, crummy as it might be
Old 07-06-2016, 02:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
LOL, what do you expect for $29.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 07-06-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
LOL, what do you expect for $29.

The sad part though is lots of people would pay double or even tipple that for something that worked decent. Unfortunately it's either these ultra cheap boxes, something like a CM+ which is 6x+?? the cost of this and has issues of it's own......or 10x++ for something like a Tivo that actually works.
Since getting my second Tivo, a 4-tuner one at that, I basically have no use for my iViews. One is still plugged in but only because it's too much work to disconnect it from my rack, someday I'll box it back up where it will sit on a shelf with all the other electronics stuff I never use
Old 07-06-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
someday I'll box it back up where it will sit on a shelf with all the other electronics stuff I never use
I have a couple shelves like that with stuff that is horribly obsolete but still works so it sits on the shelf. VCR's DVD recorders, those coupon tuner boxes, DVD players, etc. Someday I'm going to get a box, dump them all in and take them to a charity donation center so I can at least get a tax write off.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I want a Tablo, but can't justify the price for the amount of TV I want to record. I don't get why they cost that much. The monthly fee TIVO wants is a deal breaker. I don't see how they justify that. Especially for OTA. And the Tablo fee would be acceptable, but I want the box to cost $99 (or less), especially since I use my own drive.

And I don't get what's so hard about designing a remote. How did TIVO get it so right and so long ago? Roku's is pretty good too. Universal remote which usually have too many buttons, too. Especially in the days of on screen navigation.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

So the recording quality on this Ematic is poor. I was watching the station & it was fine, then the recording started & the picture deteriorated.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterways View Post
So the recording quality on this Ematic is poor. I was watching the station & it was fine, then the recording started & the picture deteriorated.
I forgot the point. Does this mean it's the drive. I'm using one of my old laptop drives in a usb enclosure. I don't see it on the label, but I recall choosing a smaller but faster drive when I bought the machine. So it should be 7200 rpm & it's 100 mb or so.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't get why they cost that much.
. . . . I want the box to cost $99 (or less)
You get what you pay for. The box under discussion is a case in point.

Quote:
The monthly fee TIVO wants is a deal breaker. I don't see how they justify that. Especially for OTA.
Outdated information. Roamio OTA/1TB costs $400 -- 1-time, flat-rate price.

Quote:
And I don't get what's so hard about designing a remote. How did TIVO get it so right and so long ago?
For every person who is happy with the logic and simplicity of the TiVo remote, there is at least one other who hates it because it doesn't have a discrete button for every function possible. Many people just can't wrap their heads around the concept of a button having multiple functions depending on the context. Biggest complaint of the TiVo remote = "where's the stop button". They never say what they want it to do, just that it's not there.

- kelson h

Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The recording quality of the Ematic like all of these similar boxes is bit-for-bit, it records the transport stream and doesn't alter it. Now it's possible to have issues with your storage device but what the box sends out is bit for bit or a mirror of what it tunes.
I for one bit the bullet when Tivo had the 4 tuner Roamio on sale for $300 with no monthly fees, not $100 but a great deal IMO. My first Tivo, a 2 tuner HD purchased 8?? years ago for $550(with no monthly fees) continues to work to this day, basically hiccup free, a testament to the quality of a Tivo if ever there were one. When the 2 tuners could no longer cut it, especially in the fall when new programs came out, I tried to get by with a couple $40 iViews. After missing quite a few events due to issues not to mention the sub par(IMO) remotes when I saw the Tivo for $300 I jumped and haven't looked back. These DVRs do have their place, extremely cheep and their recordings are easily playable on a PC and their picture quality is bit for bit but their flakiness was just too much for me to tolerate. YMMV
Even $400 is a great deal for a Tivo IMO, after all I paid $550 for my first Tivo 8?? years ago and thought that was a good deal. They now have 2 more tuners and are basically better in all respects.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
You get what you pay for. The box under discussion is a case in point.

Outdated information. Roamio OTA/1TB costs $400 -- 1-time, flat-rate price.

For every person who is happy with the logic and simplicity of the TiVo remote, there is at least one other who hates it because it doesn't have a discrete button for every function possible. Many people just can't wrap their heads around the concept of a button having multiple functions depending on the context. Biggest complaint of the TiVo remote = "where's the stop button". They never say what they want it to do, just that it's not there.
The remotes on these cheapo PVRs have multiple functions too. Apparently function/button were selected by drawing out of a hat.

I'm aware you can pay for lifetime for TIVO, but $400 is too much considering you also have to buy more boxes in order to watch in other rooms or on other devices

And I don't see why someone can't make a simple but well designed PVR for $99 and a reasonable monthly fee.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

^I want to add that it seems to me that it had to have taken some effort to design a remote & interface this bad. I'm curious how hard it might be to become a designer for these low end chinese products. & how lucrative.

Anyway, yesterday I visited Tablo's facebook page where they'd just posted that it was the last day to enter one of their periodic contests for a free Tablo. So I entered. & today I got an email saying I won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement