MoCA with cable internet, OTA antenna & Tivo Bolt setup question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question MoCA with cable internet, OTA antenna & Tivo Bolt setup question

I recently canceled my DISH satellite service and am in the process of switching to a Tivo BOLT with Mini setup. I have the BOLT, Mini and a Tivo Bridge on order. I have Comcast internet that comes into the house through coax cable, feeds into a cable modem and then to a wireless router. I will also be installing an OTA antenna. My house is not wired for ethernet, but has coax to most rooms. I'd like to set up a MoCA network to avoid having to run new CAT5/6 cable for ethernet.

I'm brand new to Tivo and MoCA and am curious as to how to set this all up. The BOLT will be in a room separate from where the internet cable comes into the house and connects to the modem and router.

I've read through the forums and the Tivo setup guides for the BOLT and MoCA, as well as some other online resources, but it all makes my head spin.

I'm wondering if anyone has or can give me some detailed instructions on how to connect everything. I'm especially wondering if I need to have the OTA antenna run to the BOLT on a separate coax cable or if it can be put on the same coax as the MoCA network with splitters, diplexers, etc. All of the coax is run from a junction box on the outside of the house to the various rooms. The internet cable also comes into the junction box before running into the house.

I've attached a diagram of my house to help those that are better with visuals. The ISP coax comes into the junction box on the side of the house and feeds through a coax line to the terminal in the den. From there it hooks to a cable modem. The modem is then connected by ethernet cable to a wireless router. The BOLT will be placed in the living room and the Mini will go in the master bedroom. I may add additional Minis or MoCA adapters to other rooms in the future.

The OTA antenna will be placed in the attic with coax running to the junction box. Since I disconnected the DISH service, I've been using a flat HDTV antenna plugged into the back of the living room TV.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can lend me some advice. I'll be sure to post my final, working setup here once I have it going.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf House coax diagram.pdf (30.6 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't have the TiVo Bolt, However I do have coax internet and OTA antenna mounted in the attic. Works great. I also have a MoCA router which I purchased on eBay which I have setup as a switch. It connects just fine to the main MoCA router. I don't know how many splitters you can have, I have a three way in the attic (incoming, antenna, coax to entertainment center, coax to second switch), and another splitter at the entertainment center (incoming, router, HDHR3 and PAL7000).

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #3 of 4 Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info. Which router do you have?

I chatted with a TiVo rep this afternoon and he pointed me to the attached article. It describes how to hook up the Bolt to a MoCA network and an OTA antenna. However, some of the connections don't look quite right to me. I'm also wondering if there will be any issues with running the cable internet and OTA antenna signals through bi-directional MoCA splitters. I guess I'll hook it up as they describe and see if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Knowledge Article.pdf (853.9 KB, 11 views)
post #4 of 4 Old 07-07-2016, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My new router is the G1100 Verizon model. The frequencies that MoCA uses do not interfere with standard TV frequencies. BTW I used standard splitters with no issues.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
antenna , cable internet , moca , Ota , tivo bolt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page