MoCA with cable internet, OTA antenna & Tivo Bolt setup question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question MoCA with cable internet, OTA antenna & Tivo Bolt setup question

I recently canceled my DISH satellite service and am in the process of switching to a Tivo BOLT with Mini setup. I have the BOLT, Mini and a Tivo Bridge on order. I have Comcast internet that comes into the house through coax cable, feeds into a cable modem and then to a wireless router. I will also be installing an OTA antenna. My house is not wired for ethernet, but has coax to most rooms. I'd like to set up a MoCA network to avoid having to run new CAT5/6 cable for ethernet.

I'm brand new to Tivo and MoCA and am curious as to how to set this all up. The BOLT will be in a room separate from where the internet cable comes into the house and connects to the modem and router.

I've read through the forums and the Tivo setup guides for the BOLT and MoCA, as well as some other online resources, but it all makes my head spin.

I'm wondering if anyone has or can give me some detailed instructions on how to connect everything. I'm especially wondering if I need to have the OTA antenna run to the BOLT on a separate coax cable or if it can be put on the same coax as the MoCA network with splitters, diplexers, etc. All of the coax is run from a junction box on the outside of the house to the various rooms. The internet cable also comes into the junction box before running into the house.

I've attached a diagram of my house to help those that are better with visuals. The ISP coax comes into the junction box on the side of the house and feeds through a coax line to the terminal in the den. From there it hooks to a cable modem. The modem is then connected by ethernet cable to a wireless router. The BOLT will be placed in the living room and the Mini will go in the master bedroom. I may add additional Minis or MoCA adapters to other rooms in the future.

The OTA antenna will be placed in the attic with coax running to the junction box. Since I disconnected the DISH service, I've been using a flat HDTV antenna plugged into the back of the living room TV.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can lend me some advice. I'll be sure to post my final, working setup here once I have it going.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf House coax diagram.pdf (30.6 KB, 71 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't have the TiVo Bolt, However I do have coax internet and OTA antenna mounted in the attic. Works great. I also have a MoCA router which I purchased on eBay which I have setup as a switch. It connects just fine to the main MoCA router. I don't know how many splitters you can have, I have a three way in the attic (incoming, antenna, coax to entertainment center, coax to second switch), and another splitter at the entertainment center (incoming, router, HDHR3 and PAL7000).

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Old 07-05-2016, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Which router do you have?

I chatted with a TiVo rep this afternoon and he pointed me to the attached article. It describes how to hook up the Bolt to a MoCA network and an OTA antenna. However, some of the connections don't look quite right to me. I'm also wondering if there will be any issues with running the cable internet and OTA antenna signals through bi-directional MoCA splitters. I guess I'll hook it up as they describe and see if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Knowledge Article.pdf (853.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My new router is the G1100 Verizon model. The frequencies that MoCA uses do not interfere with standard TV frequencies. BTW I used standard splitters with no issues.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
Old 07-26-2016, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg61 View Post
I'm especially wondering if I need to have the OTA antenna run to the BOLT on a separate coax cable or if it can be put on the same coax as the MoCA network with splitters, diplexers, etc. All of the coax is run from a junction box on the outside of the house to the various rooms. The internet cable also comes into the junction box before running into the house.
You can definitely put your OTA antenna signals onto the same coax carrying MoCA, or you could have cable TV/Internet signals on the same coax as MoCA; what you can't do, contrary to TiVo's "Antenna with MoCA network" diagram, is have both OTA antenna and cable TV/Internet signals on the same coax lines.

I've replied in detail over on the TiVo Troubleshooting Forum where you'd first posed your question, albeit 3 weeks ago.

See: https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/fo...ostID=11287249

'gist: Cleanest solution is to run a 2nd coax line from the junction box to your Den, to provide a dedicated coax line for your MoCA adapter, which you would then connect to a designed-for-MoCA coax distribution amp whose input is connected to your antenna.

If unable to make the 2nd coax run happen, your next plan of attack might be to use an antenna/satellite diplexer as a MoCA-passthrough, of sorts, between the cable TV/Internet and OTA antenna coax segments.

---
meh, what the heck, here's what I'd posted...
- - - - -
As for your problem, coincidentally I was thinking about just this sort of problem the other day and diagrammed a possible solution, which is similar to TiVo's above diagram... except you use the SAT port of an antenna/satellite diplexer between the antenna and cable segments of coax (with the VHF/UHF antenna port terminated), in combination with a distribution amp, to ensure the signals don't stray onto each other's lines.

Substituting "JCT" for "Wiring Closet," and "Den" for "Room with Cable Modem," the diagram should demonstrate what you need to do.

Note that the distribution amp is critical in that it is needed to block any cable TV/Internet signals in the 950+ MHz range (which *would* pass through the SAT port of a diplexer) from passing back up to the antenna. (A simple splitter in place of the distribution amp would be problematic.)

Further, ideally the amp would be a designed-for-MoCA amp, with a built-in MoCA filter, as the MoCA filter would then be on the downstream side of the amplifier circuitry, providing a stronger reflection of MoCA signals back onto the outputs. (In which case, then, the separate "PoE" MoCA filter on the input to the amplifier would be unnecessary.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moca pass-through diplexer_fullsize.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1566817  

Last edited by krkaufman; 07-27-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help, both here and on the TiVo support forum.

For others who might review this post, here is some final information:

I actually ended up not using an OTA antenna as Comcast called me about a week after I cancelled DISH and offered me a promotion that includes 140-channel basic cable, HBO and 150 Mbps internet for about $15 per month LESS than I was paying for just internet. The deal is for 12 months and was just too good to pass up. I'm using a Cablecard in the BOLT to access the cable channels and Xfinity on-demand and it works pretty slick. Now that I have the Bolt and a Mini, I feel like I'll be in control when it comes time to negotiate a new deal. I can just go back to Comcast (or another provider) internet-only and an OTA antenna if they won't bargain.

As for my MoCA network setup, I installed a POE filter (purchased from TiVo) where the coax comes into the junction box on the exterior of the house and before any splitters. Then I ran a short cable to a 4-way splitter (5-2300 Mhz) that then connects to coax runs to my den, living room and master bedroom. The fourth out on the splitter is capped with a 75-ohm terminator. The coax in the den is connected to a 2-way splitter that runs to a TiVo MoCA 2.0 Bridge and my cable modem. Both of those are connected to my wireless router. That setup injects the internet feed back into the coax for the MoCA network. The coax to the living room is connected to the coax terminal on the BOLT. The coax to the master bedroom is connected in the same manner to a Mini. This system was easy to hook up and is working smoothly.

One issue I noted was the MoCA version showing on the network status screen on the BOLT changed from 2.0 to 1.1 when the Mini was connected to the network. With some more help from krkaufman and a little research on my own, I found that neither version of the Mini is certified for MoCA 2.0. The ONLY TiVo products currently certified for 2.0 are the BOLT and the MoCA Bridge adapter. You can find the certification info at the Multimedia over Coax Alliance website (mocalliance.org) on the Certified Products page. The BOLT (Model TCD849) certificate number is MIC0198 and the Mini's is MIC0118. Interestingly, the Mini's certificate is for the older version (TCDA92000) and not the newer model (TCDA93000). I wish TiVo would do a better job of publishing this information somewhere on its website. I certainly couldn't find it anywhere.

I hope this information helps anyone that is a newbie (like me) to TiVo and MoCA. Both are great technologies, but somewhat confusing to understand until you get the basics down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
antenna , cable internet , moca , Ota , tivo bolt