ATSC Digital Box on Ebay $30.99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jjeff
post #1 of 3 Unread Yesterday, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ATSC Digital Box on Ebay $30.99

Last year I bought a Homeworx HW-150 PVR on Ebay for around $40. Recently, I saw a similar box for sale, around $29+ BIN, I offered $27 and got one. I was surprised how small it is, much smaller than the Homeworx. The front panel has a display, but all it shows is a Channel number corresponding to how it scanned the OTA frequencies. I mistakenly thought it would be a front panel clock. So, for example, CBS OTA DTV CH 2.1 is just shown as "CH 001". Unlike the Homeworx, there is no On-Off button, it simply plugs in and stays on. A small red LED light indicates standby when shut off. The menus are almost identical to the Homeworx, with minor differences.... unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't seem to program a Timer from the EPG screen. When I hit "ok" from the remote on an EPG listing, it just goes to the timer event screen in which I had to input the timer info manually. The software is dated July 2015, maybe it needs an update. The other difference I noted was that the channel scan took much longer than the Homeworx. The back panel inputs and outputs are identical, HDMI, Component & Composite out, Antenna In and RF Ch3 out. A PNY 32GB flash drive I used on the Homeworx... worked as far as recording, but I was unable to delete a show recorded on the Homeworx. Obviously Made In China (where else ?) I did see somewhere the notation or label "Mediasonic CA". Don't know if this is a new model recently released, or it's been out a while, the Chinese company advertised many different types of receivers on their Ebay page. One looks similar but is just a digital-to-analog tuner. I like the Homeworx better, but I did want a second one without paying the higher price. A single-tuner PVR for $27.00.... not bad. The original BIN price was $29.13 shipped, now it's been upped to $30.99. The specs show QAM 64, I suppose if you email the manufacturer for an update you'll get QAM support. Although the screens are similar to the Homeworx, the software numbers are different. My HW-150 shows V14, the new box is just a string of numbers. It does some sort of Time-Shifting, which I'm not planning on exploring. This will come in handy while my main DVRs are disconnected for the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_185848.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1558593   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_190835-1.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1558601  

Last edited by joecass; Yesterday at 04:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread Today, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Looks very similar to the early iViews, crummy remote and all, oh and the somewhat useless "channel number" display
There seems to be no limit the the number of variations of the same basic cheap design of these Chinese boxes, if they work for you great, if not there probably not going to get any better, they are what they are.
joecass likes this.
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Looks very similar to the early iViews, crummy remote and all, oh and the somewhat useless "channel number" display
There seems to be no limit the the number of variations of the same basic cheap design of these Chinese boxes, if they work for you great, if not there probably not going to get any better, they are what they are.
I'm pretty low-tech right now. Just OTA... no cable box, FIOS or anything else. I disconnect most of my DVRs in the summer due to the unbearable heat in my apartment. For recording in other rooms, just stick one of these El Cheapo units with a USB drive and you're good to go. I'm just a lazy SOB right now. Don't wanna invest any big money on what I consider to be way overpriced machines, like the CM7500 or Tivo Bolt, or the Philips/Magnavox units I've read about on AVS. The Homeworx and the newer ATSC box are just secondary accessories at a cheap price. They also serve as media players for x.264 and .mkv encoded shows that I download every week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders