The unOfficial AVS Channel Master DVR+ DVR Topic! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 4 Post By wizwor
  • 1 Post By pachinko
  • 1 Post By wizwor
  • 2 Post By JHBrandt
  • 1 Post By fshagan
  • 1 Post By pachinko
  • 1 Post By fshagan
  • 1 Post By JHBrandt

post #1 of 22 Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The unOfficial AVS Channel Master DVR+ DVR Topic!

Welcome to the unOfficial AVS CM DVR+ Topic!

Channel Master's DVR+ is my favorite OTA DVR. The DVR+ is a two tuner, set top DVR with no monthly fees which can operate with no connection to any service provider and requires no streaming device. When plugged in to the internet, the DVR+ can stream premium services like Pandora, Sling TV, Vudu, YouTube and free services like ABC News, Bloomberg, Newsmax, Newsy, Twit, WeatherNation, and Vevo. Recordings are stored on an external USB disk (except for a model with an internal disk), so adding storage is as easy as plugging in a new disk. At $249, the DVR+ with no internal disk is cheap enough, but last Black Friday these sold at two for $300!

1. Feature Summary 
  2. User Guides 
  3. Technical Specifications 
  4. Remote Controls 
  5. Pre-Purchase Questions 
  6. Post-Purchase Questions 
  7. Storage 
  8. Streaming Services
  9. CMTV
  10. File Transfers
  11. Hacks
  12. Known Issues 
  13. Feature Requests
  14. Revision History 
  15. Acronyms and Definitions 

Last updated: August 1 15, 2016.

Feature Summary [Back to top]
  • NO RECURRING FEES
  • Records and plays back live HD TV up to 160 hours with a one terabyte disk
  • Dual tuners
  • Supports SD and HD video resolutions up to 1080i and 1080p
  • See what's on now or later with the user-friendly Electronic Program Guide (EPG)
  • Automatic software updates (internet connection required)
  • Extended 14-day program guide (internet connection required)
  • Pandora, Sling TV, Vudu, YouTube (internet connection required)
  • Channel Master CMTV linear streamed apps (internet connection required)
  • Add optional WiFi connectivity with the Channel Master USB WiFi Adapter
  • Supports Dolby® Digital Plus surround sound
  • Ultra-low power consumption (ENERGY STAR 3.0 compliant)

User Guides [Back to top]
Link to User Guide
Link to Launch User Guide (with flat remote codes)
Link to Quick Start Guide
Link to Remote (new model) Quick Start Guide
Link to
Link to

Technical Specifications [Back to top]

Remote Controls [Back to top]

See User Guides for remote programming instructions and device codes.

Navigation Buttons

While viewing DVR recordings:
red = delete
green = search
yellow = sort
blue = change view (series/schedule/recordings)

While viewing the Guide:
red = Channel 199 (CMTV)
green = Channel 400
yellow = Channel 600
blue = Channel 800

Additional Guide Navigation buttons:
Page/Channel + = Next page of channels (up)
Page/Channel - = Next page of channels (down)
>> and << = Jump forward or backward 2.5 hours
Jump Back and Jump Forward = Jump 1 day in the button's direction.

Enhanced Remote (current model)

Removing the TV programming (On/Off, Volume, Mute, and Input) from the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" Remote Control requires resetting the remote control. Once removed, those features will no longer function, unless the device is reprogrammed for another TV, or the same TV.

To reset:
  1. Hold down the Setup and Off buttons simultaneously.
  2. The light under the Off button will flash 4 times.
  3. Release both buttons

Launch Remote

Removing the TV programming (On/Off, Volume, Mute, and Input) from the flat "Launch" Remote Control requires resetting the remote control. Once removed, those features will no longer function, unless the device is reprogrammed for another TV, or the same TV.

To reset:
First Method: Press and hold the "Navigation Down" and the "Page Up" buttons simultaneously for about 3 seconds. The Power button will flash slowly 2 times. Release the buttons and try the remote. If that did not work, try the second method.

Second Method: Press and hold the "Navigation Up" and the "Page Down" buttons simultaneously for about 3 seconds. The Power button will flash slowly 2 times. Release the buttons and try the remote.

Streaming Services [Back to top]

The Channel Master DVR+ includes apps for Pandora, Sling TV, VUDU, and YouTube. If you connect your DVR+ to the internet, you can stream these apps. The apps are launched out of the DVR+ program guide. Apps you do not use can be removed from the program guide.

CMTV [Back to top]

The Channel Master DVR+ also includes something called Channel Master TV, CMTV, or Linear OTT. If you connect your DVR+ to the internet, you can stream these apps. CMTV is linear, like traditional television, so rather than hunting for and selecting program you want to watch, you simply tune into continuous curated streaming media. The apps are launched out of the DVR+ program guide. Apps you do not use can be removed from the program guide. Channel Master promised to list programming in the program guide, but has never done this. Here is a list of the CMTV 'channels'...

Storage [Back to top]
Using a disk not listed here? PM the model to me and I'll add it to the list.

• 500GB Slim EHD by Seagate (STCD500102) -- recommended by channel master
  • 500GB EHD by Seagate (STEA500400) -- recommended by channel master
  • 1TB EHD by Seagate (STBU1000100) -- recommended by channel master
  • 1TB EHD by Seagate (STBX1000101) -- recommended by channel master
  • 1TB EHD by Seagate (STDR1000100) -- recommended by channel master
  • 3TB EHD by Seagate (STCA3000101) -- recommended by channel master
  • 3TB EHD by Seagate (STBV3000100) -- recommended by channel master
  • 1TB EHD by WD (WDBZFP0010BBK) -- recommended by channel master
  • 1TB EHD by WD (WDBUZG0010BBK) -- recommended by channel master
  • 2TB EHD by WD (WDBU6Y0020BBK) -- recommended by channel master
  • 2TB EHD by WD (WDBMWV0020BTT) -- recommended by channel master

Pre-Purchase Questions [Back to top]
Considering a DVR+? Got a question not answered here? PM the question to me and I'll do my best to provide an answer.

Pre-Purchase Questions [Back to top]
Considering a DVR+? Got a question not answered here? PM the question to me and I'll do my best to provide an answer.

File Transfers [Back to top]

How to copy all DVR+ files to another USB HDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pachinko View Post
It might depend upon the exact model of the USB HDD as to if it works or not, but I’m using a Western Digital 3TB My Book, model WDBFJK0030HBK-04 without issues in version 134R. Prior to version 124R, the DVR+ would only use 2TB on that HDD, but in 124R that limitation magically went away after re-initialization.

It is currently not possible to merge recordings from one HDD with another. However, you can copy ALL recordings from one HDD to another HDD provided there is nothing on the other HDD that you want to retain. Here’s how using a Windows computer (others similar):

1. Backup any files that come on the new USB HDD before connecting it to the DVR+.
2. Connect the new USB HDD to the DVR+ and allow it to initialize it (format it). DO NOT record anything that you want to keep, as the following process will delete everything.
3. Disconnect the new USB HDD from the DVR+ and attach it to a computer.
4. Windows computers require Ext2Fsd version 0.62 or later to be installed on the computer, in order to assign drive letters to both partitions on USB HDDs. Version 0.62, or later, is required to be able to delete files on the USB HDD.
5. Using Windows Explorer (or any file manager), delete all files and folders on the new USB HDD in both partitions (both drive letters).
6. Connect the old USB HDD to the computer, and get drive letters assigned to both of its partitions.
7. Copy everything from the old HDD to the new HDD, on a partition by partition basis. The 1st partition (which is the small partition) contains the various data files. The 2nd partition contains the TS recordings. Each partition has one empty folder.
8. Connect the new USB HDD to the DVR+ and give it a test by listing the recordings, and playing a few.

DVR+ Lister
DVR+ Lister is a Windows based utility, for owners of the Channel Master DVR+, who wish to move recordings from the DVR+ USB HDD to a computer. For more information about DVR+ Lister, please visit the DVR+ Lister topic.

Hacks [Back to top]
Place holder for Hacks

Known Issues [Back to top]
Place holder for Known Issues

Feature Requests [Back to top]
Something on your wish list that isn't listed here. Please PM me.

• Sony Vue
  • Amazon Instant/Prime
  • Netflix

Revision History [Back to top]

Note: This is an UNOfficial Channel Master DVR+ Software Version History.

Chick HERE for the official Channel Master Software Update page.

DVR+ version 134R, Release Date 5/10/2016
New Features: *** Unknown, none specified by CM ***
Improvements/Changes: *** Unknown, none specified by CM ***
Bug fixes: Sling TV cutting out and returning to OTA. Minor, unspecified, bug fixes.
New Bugs: Low Volume on some audio devices other than the TV. Pressing the button sequence, DVR, Blue, Blue, sometimes opens to a date other than the current date. I've been unable to duplicate. Unlike in 132R, when Vibrant TV locks up, navigating the guide no longer works, and the only solution found to remove the guide is a Warm Boot.
Persistent Bugs: Vibrant TV still locks up. RT network connection error.

DVR+ version 132R, Release Date 1/5/2016
New Features: SlingTV, support for 4K TVs, four colored remote buttons restored to 114R functionality when viewing DVR recordings.
Unreported items discovered by owners: DVR+ now correctly reports the message "The storage device is initializing, please wait" until the EHD is ready.
New Bugs: Sling TV application intermittently closing on its own. Closed Captions errors. DVR+ front panel LED intermittently turning off. Front panel power button intermittently working when using the IR Extender cable. SlingBox 500 user interface issues. Lip-Sync issue (audio and video not in sync) when selecting a different audio stream.

DVR+ version 124R, Release Date 6/11/2015
New Features: New settings menu for managing channels, Custom factory reset option, ability to record a current event if it is in the pause buffer, on-screen low-battery warning for the remote control, option to refresh the 14-day guide data, front LED light fix (NOT fixed, but occurs less often), search error fix, menus are viewable on 4KTVs, pass through audio enabled for AV receivers, combined CC and Audio menus (and other remote changes), support for larger disks.
New Bugs: A false warning of a fault with the Internal HDD or the USB EHD during initialization.

DVR+ version 123R, Release Date (approx) 6/8/2015
This release was plagued with bugs, and was replaced very quickly by 124R. No information was issued by Channel Master, but likely is the same as 124R.

DVR+ version 115R, Release Date (Unknown, but sometime in year 2014 prior to mid June)
This update was not made available for download, nor were it's new features and bug fixes made public. However, some DVR+ units were delivered prior to the 123R release in mid June, and others on Black Friday 2015, and some even later. Since the download was not made available, there is no way to return to 115R should you upgrade, or downgrade, to some other version.

DVR+ version 114R, Release Date 11/21/2014
New Features: Name based recordings for new events, YouTube added, Rovi Mexico support
Bug fixes: Adjusted Dolby levels of PCM vs Dolby equivalent (comparing Auto vs stereo). External HDD to spin down in standby (when sleep modes are enabled on the drive), DVR schedule that caused future name based event tracking to fail until power cycle.

DVR+ version 111R, Release Date 09/15/2014
New Features: Pandora, Spanish language support added, VUDU closed captions, hot plug support for USB storage and WiFi dongle
Improvements/Changes: Added a default channel icon for channels which do not have one, recording/reminder symbol in the guide is always visible.
Bug fixes: Live video is restored quicker after signal losses, Canadian Postal Codes in setup, auto time falls back to PSIP on first NTP fail, radio (audio only) channels are handled correctly, inactivity standby pop up

DVR+ version 108R, Release Date 05/21/2014
Update features and bug fixes were not collected.

DVR+ version 106R, Release Date (approx) 4/30/2014
Improvements/Changes: Improvements to the robustness of EPG data. Signal quality is now shown for visible networks with continual update.
"Connection Settings" renamed to "Advanced Settings." In "Wireless Connection Settings", replaced "Network Setup" with "Scan" and "Manual Setup." Shows a bar instead of quality text. SSID limited to 32 characters. WEP passwords limited to 26 characters. WPA/WPA2 passwords limited to 64 characters. Catering for either ASCII or HEX entry (64 characters). Implemented a preview of what the captions would look like as the user changes text style, size & color.
Bug fixes: If a user exits the network setup manual keyboard when displaying the foreign characters keys, when they again open it and try to change the keyboard to another, it goes blank. Remove the need to enter a password for an open wireless network. Make recording LED dim Red in standby. Use NTP (network time) as highest priority time source for auto setting if available. Manual time now sets & uses the real time clock as top priority time source once entered until AC cycle, storing offsets to PSIP time. Fixed issue where incorrect manual offset could be applied after a power cycle. Factory reset does not lock up if too many timers have been set.
Improvements/Changes: Previously deleted channels will now get added back in from a manual scan. Entry of Canadian Postal Codes via Wizard didn't have space between groups. Time zone is now pre-initialized based on the first digits of zip code entered. Fix Frequency response "White levels" issues. SPDIF audio now muted when recording in standby. Resolve issues which could lead to closed captions being delayed or in advance of AV. Prevent interference with CEC with other devices on device selection.

DVR+ version 103R, Release Date (approx.) 3/6/2014

DVR+ version 102R, Release Date (approx.) Jan. 2014

DVR+ version 101R, Release Date (approx) Dec. 2013

Acronyms and Definitions [Back to top]

Acronyms
DVR Digital Video Recorder. An electronic box that records your television shows onto a hard drive for viewing at anytime.
OTA Over-The-Air or broadcast television received by antenna. Also known as free tv.
OTT Over-The-Top or streaming media delivered over the internet.

Last edited by wizwor; 08-26-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-29-2016, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #3 of 22 Old 07-29-2016, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 22 Old 07-31-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Part of DVR+ Lister Q&A's HTML fle

I’ve extracted the “Questions Specific to the Channel Master DVR+” section, from the DVR+ Lister Q&A help, file for your use in this endeavor. It’s from a later version than 15.7.3, the one I keep updating as things come along. It contains 70 questions and answers. Feel free to take whatever you’d like, and/or rewrite to your liking and style. That goes for anything from the DVR+ Lister v15.7.3 help file. If you find something useful to the community, take it.

I have not re-read everything to make sure nothing is out of date, so keep that in mind.

As usual, in order to attach large files to a post, I had to make 3 zip files. These are normal zip files, so just unzip each separately into a folder (39 files total). There is only one HTML file, the rest are images used by it. I think I’ve included all of the images, but if I missed any just let me know and I upload them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip _Part Of Q& A for wizwor (2016-07-31) (1)_.zip (707.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: zip _Part Of Q& A for wizwor (2016-07-31) (2)_.zip (806.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: zip _Part Of Q& A for wizwor (2016-07-31) (3)_.zip (415.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: zip _MorePics(1)_.zip (872.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: zip _MorePics(2)_.zip (815.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: zip _MorePics(3)_.zip (932.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: zip _MorePics(4)_.zip (902.3 KB, 21 views)
wizwor likes this.

Last edited by pachinko; 08-01-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Upload 4 Zip files of more Pics
post #5 of 22 Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’ve extracted the “Questions Specific to the Channel Master DVR+” section, from the DVR+ Lister Q&A help, file for your use in this endeavor.
Thank you SO much. A lot of the images I was looking for are in those zip files. You saved me a lot of work.
pachinko likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have lots of items on my Wish List, and I'm certain I've missed some!

Priority:

1. Whole Home.
2. At least 4 Tuners.
3. Two EHDs active when both USB ports are available.
4. Internal HDD and EHD disks active at same time, but NOT dependent upon each other like TiVo requires.
5. When multiple storage devices are active, schedules can decide which to use, or can be specified by user in the schedule.
6. Ability to move recordings to another DVR+ disk and between the Internal HDD and a EHD.
7. An API to provide access to everything DVR+ from a computer.

For others, open the spoiler.
Spoiler!
post #7 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would like to request a DVR+ Version History section for post 1 , including, but not limited to:
  1. What's New
  2. What's Changed
  3. What's Removed
  4. Bugs: Fixed
  5. Bugs: Acknowledged
  6. Bugs: Unacknowledged
See the attached ZIP for an HTML of what I've accumulated on the DVR+ History. As with everything from me, feel free to take anything you find of value, and rewrite it to suit your style.

Edit 1: For each version, include link(s) where the update can be downloaded. Not the Channel Master download link, since CM only provides the latest version for downloading.
Attached Files
File Type: zip _DVR+ History html for wizwor (2016-08-07)_.zip (59.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by pachinko; 08-07-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added "Edit 1"
post #8 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 848
This is starting to look good!

For the version history, I'd add one more section: New Bugs, to document bugs that first appeared in that version of firmware. For example, 111R introduced a bug which prevented HDDs from ever spinning down; that bug was fixed in 114R. Then 123R introduced a different bug with drives that spun-up too slowly for the firmware, which was addressed in 132R.

Edit: I put together a list of the current CMTV channels here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdt...l#post38160689

Edit 2: I'm going to use this post as a place to log my observations about external HDDs. Green indicates drives that have had no reported problems with the DVR+. Others have had issues as described; Red indicates Channel Master-recommended drives with reported issues.

Edit 3: Some important notes about using large (over 2TB) HDDs with the DVR+: First, all firmware versions except 124R will only format a large HDD to use 2 TiB (a "TiB" is about 1.1 TB). Second, the DVR+ will not tell you how much of a HDD's capacity it will use! "STB Health" always reports the drive's full capacity, whether it was formatted to use it all or not. And the recordings list only shows a percentage used, not the actual number of GB used. To determine whether a HDD was formatted to full capacity, you must disconnect it from the DVR+ and examine the partitions on a PC!

Firmware version 124R will format large HDDs to use their full capacity, but only if they have sectors greater than 512 bytes (typically 4Kbytes). If a large HDD uses 512-byte sectors, 124R will actually do a worse job than other versions. But sector size can vary, even among HDDs of the same model!
So if you purchase a large HDD for the DVR+, make sure you can return or exchange it in case it's not compatible.

Luckily, you can format large HDDs (that have 4Kbyte sectors) on 124R, then use them with other versions (confirmed to work with 115R and later). So if you use large HDDs and happen to have more than one DVR+, you may want to consider leaving one at 124R until better firmware is available.

Also, note that if a large HDD has been incorrectly formatted to 2 TiB, you must use a PC to remove both partitions before reformatting with 124R. Otherwise 124R will just stick with the incorrect 2 TiB format.

Edit 4: It's been observed that the DVR+ reserves a significant amount of space, apparently about 48 GB, on any HDD, and will thus report the drive is "full," and refuse to allow additional recordings, well before it is truly full. This is an important issue with smaller drives: 48 GB is only 5% of a 1 TB HDD, but it's 20% of a 250 GB HDD!

Now, on with the results for specific drives:

SSD models (Note: I do not recommend SSDs for general use on either the DVR+ or any other DVR. They are more expensive per GB, tend to slow down with continued use, and on the DVR+, their typically small size means a large percentage of their capacity will be wasted. However, there may be special situations where a SSD makes sense, so I've tested a couple here):

• Silicon Power MicroSDXC Class 10 flash memory card (128GB): I can report that it records and plays back a single channel fine, but suffers severe video freezes when time-shifting. I didn't try recording two shows at once. (Note: I confirmed this is a true 128GB flash memory card with HDTest. Many inexpensive cards of this type turn out to be fakes.)
  • PNY Turbo Attache thumb drive (128GB): I can report a few audio dropouts and video freezes when recording one high bit-rate channel (KDFW/4.1) and time-shifting another (KDTN/2.1). Otherwise works fine with the DVR+, but the popular Ext2FSD Linux filesystem driver will not recognize the second partition (the one with the recordings); you'll have to use another program to access your recordings from Windows, such as DiskInternals Linux Reader.
    (Note: PNY uses some of the most confusing names I've ever seen. There are "Turbo" models that aren't "Attache," "Attache" models that aren't "Turbo," and other similarly-named models such as their "Turbo Elite." These test results apply only to the 128GB Turbo Attache model and not any of the other, very similarly-named, models sold by PNY.)

Seagate models:

• STBV1000100 (1TB): Won't format (reported by Van T)
  • STEH1000101 (1TB): Audio drop-outs reported by Lewlew
  • STDR1000100 (1TB): Worked fine for Lewlew but several others have observed audio drop-outs with this model too. Drop-outs may only affect certain channels, so you may not see the problem right away, if at all. This was a Channel Master recommended drive model.
  • STEA1000400 (1TB): Audio drop-outs during playback (recording is OK) reported by rangel510.
  • SRD00F2 (2TB): Won't format (reported by t_f_s)
  • STBV2000100 (2TB): Won't format (reported by Van T)
  • STDR2000100 (2TB): Apparently works fine
  • Large Seagate drives, including STEB3000100 (3TB), STEB4000100 (4TB) and STDT5000100 (5 TB): Some old versions of these HDD models have 4K sectors and can be used, but new versions emulate 512-byte sectors and will not format to full capacity, even with 124R. Also, Alainl12 reported some audio drop-outs when time-shifting high bit-rate channels.

Toshiba models:

• HDTB310XK3AA (1TB): Apparently works fine
  • HDTC720XW3C1 (2TB): Apparently works fine

Western Digital models:
WDBBLW5000AAL (500GB): Apparently works fine
HGST Touro Mobile (1TB): Apparently works fine
HGST Touro S (1TB): Alainl12 reports corruption around 25 seconds in a recording with disk over 500GB full and the drive in Standby mode when the recording started. Also a few audio dropouts, similar to the WDBU6Y0020BBK drive below. Note that the problems only show up on high bit-rate channels (15Mbps or more; typically only CBS and Fox go that high).
WDBABT0010HBK (1TB): Apparently works fine
WDBGPU0010BBL (1TB): Apparently works fine
WDBZFP0010BBL (1TB): Apparently works fine
WDBAAU0020HBK (2TB): Apparently works fine
WDBABU0020HBK (2TB): Apparently works fine
WD10JUCT (1TB) in USB enclosure: Alain12 reports some video freezes and audio drop-outs when recording one high bit-rate channel while time-shifting another one.
WDBGPU0010BBK (1TB): Alainl12 reports corruption around 20 seconds in a recording when the drive was in Standby mode when the recording started. (Drive spins down after 5 minutes of inactivity.) However no audio dropouts or video freezes, even on high bit-rate channels!
WDBZFP0010BTT (1TB): Apparently works fine

WDBU6Y0020BBK (2TB): Alainl12 reports
  • Corruption around 25 seconds in a recording with the drive over 500GB full and in Standby mode when the recording started, as with the HGST Touro S mentioned above.
  • At the same time, started noticing few audio dropouts, but it 's rare.
Note that the problems only show up on high bit-rate channels (15Mbps or more; typically only CBS and Fox go that high). Also note that this was a Channel Master recommended drive model!

WDBFJK0030HBK-04-NESN (3TB): Apparently works fine
HGST Deskstar NAS model# HDN726050ALE610 (4TB): This is a "bare" AF drive, so the sector size the DVR+ sees depends on the enclosure. Ekl could not get this HDD to format correctly using a Vantec enclosure. 124R formatted his to 1677GB.
WDBFJK0040HBK (4TB): Formats correctly (with 124R), but Alainl12 reports
  • Audio dropouts on time-shifting, a lot.
  • on 132r/134r, Video freezes on high bit-rate channels. But it's worse on this drive then the [WDBU6Y0020BBK model] above.
  • Corruption as with above model, but around 45s in the recording.

Note that the corruption Alainl12 often reports has only happened with drives that spin down after 5 minutes of inactivity. The DVR+ seems to try to "wake up" a drive 5 minutes before a recording starts, so HDDs with a longer spin-down time may not have this problem (they would still be "awake").

I haven't confirmed this, but I'm guessing that the 5-minute wakeup was added in 114R firmware. The previous version (111R) had a much-complained-about "feature" that would keep a HDD awake continuously, so it's likely that this was changed to the 5-minute wakeup before recording in 114R. That would explain why folks often saw HDD errors in 124R after turning on their DVR+, but usually had no problems with recordings.

Since some HDDs spin down after only 5 minutes, though, it's too bad CM/E* didn't choose a shorter wakeup interval.
wizwor and pachinko like this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-12-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Add WDBBLW5000AAL 500GB HDD
post #9 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Has anyone compiled a list of the remote's colored buttons in the various modes? The user guide just says that they have different functions depending on the function you are in ... viewing a channel, in the guide, etc.
wizwor likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
Has anyone compiled a list of the remote's colored buttons in the various modes? The user guide just says that they have different functions depending on the function you are in ... viewing a channel, in the guide, etc.
It depends upon which DVR+ version. This applies to 132R and 134R.

red = delete
green = search
yellow = sort

While viewing the Guide:
red = Channel 199 (CMTV)
green = Channel 400
yellow = Channel 600
blue = Channel 800

wizwor likes this.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-07-2016, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
It depends upon which DVR+ version. This applies to 132R and 134R.

red = delete
green = search
yellow = sort

While viewing the Guide:
red = Channel 199 (CMTV)
green = Channel 400
yellow = Channel 600
blue = Channel 800

Thanks for that!
pachinko likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You're going to drive yourself nut'z trying to keep up with the latest channel lineup for CMTV! Maybe you should just list a few examples, and state that the lineup changes frequently. Then give instructions on how to setup TitanTV to show the CMTV channels, which does describe the shows and air times. Of course, also mention that TitanTV is not always up-to-date around the time that channels are added or removed.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-21-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, the CMTV channels don't change that often. He can probably just post "as of Aug 8 2016" on the list, and recheck the lineup once a month or so. I agree about giving instructions on TitanTV, though, since out-of-date though it may be, that's the only EPG it looks like we're going to get for CMTV.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-22-2016, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're going to drive yourself nut'z trying to keep up with the latest channel lineup for CMTV! Maybe you should just list a few examples, and state that the lineup changes frequently. Then give instructions on how to setup TitanTV to show the CMTV channels, which does describe the shows and air times. Of course, also mention that TitanTV is not always up-to-date around the time that channels are added or removed.
I do use them. Sometimes I seem to be missing channels. I'm think that it would be a good idea to link to the channel's home page.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DVR+-compatible WiFi adapters

Although it's impossible to guarantee compatibility, I know several folks are looking for alternatives to the $40 Channel Master WiFi adapter.

The following non-Channel Master WiFi adapters are reported to be compatible with the DVR+:

1. TP-LINK Wireless Adapter WN823N (link goes to Amazon.com) Edit: We just got a report of a TL-WN823N that is not compatible. I'll leave the link up but be aware that these may no longer work!
  2. TP-Link Wireless Adapter WN822N V3. The "V3" is important. Earlier versions had a different, incompatible chip set.
  3. Rosewill RNX-N300UB (link goes to NewEgg.com)

Again, compatibility can't be guaranteed over the long term, since manufacturers often change the internal hardware without notice. Basically, for USB compatibility you need to look for an adapter with a Realtek RTL8192CU chip set (neither the RTL8192EU nor any other chip set has been seen to work).

I will try to add more WiFi adapters as I become aware of them.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 03-01-2017 at 01:13 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As requested, here's the channel vs. frequency chart I threw together, hidden under the spoiler tag:
Spoiler!
Note that the DVR+ uses the center of each channel in the "manual scan" dialog. And it uses kHz vs. MHz. So for channel 2, 54 through 60 Mhz, the center of the band would be 57 MHz or 57000 kHz, so you'd enter 57000.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-22-2016 at 06:10 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 11-15-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Button Mapping for Dish 20.1 Remote Control

Dish 20.1 Remote Control Button Mapping for the original "Thin/Flat" DVR+ Remote Control

The button mapping shown below is based upon the mapping by frank70 on 1/13/2014, and alternately by JHBrant on 3/22/2015 (differences shown in blue for JHBrandt). The links are to button mappings done before changes to several buttons by Channel Master in a couple of updates, and that was considered in the chart below.

Note: On 11/15/2016, JHBrant modified the mapping and posted on the "Channel Master DVR+ Owners Thread" (Here).

The Dish 20.1 remote control has 53 buttons (4 modes, 44 non-TV, and 5 TV), while the DVR+ "Thin/Flat" remote has 48 buttons (43 non-TV and 5 TV), which means all DVR+ buttons can be mapped onto the Dish remote. In the mapping below, the Dish SEARCH and SWAP buttons are not used, leaving them available for any purpose. The Dish Mode buttons, and the TV buttons are separated from those that send codes to the DVR+. The TV buttons should be programmed first, preferably by entering a numeric TV code into the desired Dish mode, then verify all 5 work properly as some may have to be taught to the Dish remote along with the DVR+ buttons. Keep in mind that all buttons to be learned MUST be learned in a single session, and there is a short period of inactivity before learning is halted.

Since the DVR+ CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control does NOT match all buttons on the "Thin/Flat" remote control, those differences will have to be considered if the mapping below is used for it.

Leading red asterisks denote non-obvious mappings.

Dish ButtonDVR+ Button Dish ButtonDVR+ Button Dish ButtonDVR+ Button Dish ButtonDVR+ Button
1DVR PowerDVR+ Power RedRed 11   
2MenuMenu GreenGreen 22   
3Page+Page+ YellowYellow 33   
4Page-Page- BlueBlue 44   
5GuideGuide DVRDVR 55 Dish Modes 
6UpUp Skip Back <-Skip Back <- 66 SAT(mode)
7DownDown Skip Fwd ->Skip Fwd -> 77 TV(mode)
8LeftLeft Rewind <<Rewind << 88 DVR(mode)
9RightRight Fast Fwd >>Fast Fwd >> 99 AUX(mode)
10SelectOK PausePause 00 TV 
11*RecallHome / Back Stop []Stop [] *. TV PowerTV Power
12InfoInfo RecordRecord *#CH+ InputInput
13Search(not used) Play >Play > *DishCH- MuteMute
14*View Live TVExit / Home    *POSITIONDVR+ Aspect Ratio / CC & Audio Vol UpVol Up
15*CancelBack / Exit SWAP(not used) *PIPCC & Audio / DVR+ Aspect Ratio Vol DnVol Dn

Notes:

1. The Dish 20.1 can learn only in TV, DVD, and AUX modes, not SAT mode. The 4 mode buttons themselves cannot be taught.

2. At least one person tried, and failed, to teach the Dish 20.1 remote the dual purpose Power button of the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote control, expecting it to control both the TV and the DVR+. It would only turn the TV on/off, not the DVR+. It appears that the Dish 20.1 will only accept the first code by another remote control. As such, the dual purpose On/Off power button of the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote is not available for those wishing that functionality, so the Dish TV button must be used for the TV, and the Power button for the DVR+. To teach the Dish both buttons, the CM-7500XRC2 "Enhanced" remote must be deprogrammed for the TV. Do that as follows:

• Hold down the Setup and Off buttons simultaneously.
  • The light under the Off button will flash 4 times.
  • Release both buttons.

3. After using the method above to remove the TV programming, you may find it necessary to reset the "Enhanced" remote to Factory Defaults before the TV functions can be recoded.

4. Since stray signals while teaching a Learning Remote Control can accidentally activate functions on the DVR+, use extreme caution that they do NOT reach the DVR+ and do something HARMFUL like Delete recordings, Initialize the internal or external disks, etc! Best to be in a location where you are certain the IR signals can't reach the DVR+. You could also block the IR receiver on the DVR+, and use the DVR+ remote control to test that no signals are getting through before beginning the learning process.
The BB coding for the table is in the Spoiler should you decide to include it in post 1:
Spoiler!

Last edited by pachinko; 11-19-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added notes 3 & 4
post #18 of 22 Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DVR+ bugs and limitations summary

Note: I originally wrote this when firmware version 132R had just been released and I was still using version 124R. Some bugs have since been fixed as noted in green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastavin View Post
Can anyone provide a link to a list of serious firmware bugs?

Appreciate your help.

Ed
There are some bugs in firmware version 124R, but they're not too "serious" IMO:

• The LED is supposed to turn red when recording. Sometimes it turns completely off instead. Temporary fix is to wait for the recording to end (blue LED comes back on), then reboot. This bug also affected version 114R (the LED worked differently in earlier firmware versions). Fixed in current firmware!
  • Weekly or daily manual recordings for a new year won't be scheduled until sometime on or after New Year's Day, so you may miss some early on New Year's. Oddly, name-based and one-time recordings work fine around the new year.
  • There have been some HDMI handshaking issues reported, particularly with 4K and/or Vizio brand TVs. Mostly fixed in current firmware.
  • There are bugs with "Channel Master TV" (the Internet channels 201-899). Some channels don't work; bogus "network connection" error boxes pop up; and occasionally the DVR+ can even lock up completely while watching, requiring a warm boot to recover. CMTV is the newest DVR+ feature, so it's perhaps understandable that it's so buggy. Non-working channels now appear to be fixed. Other bugs still occur but seem less common than with 124R.
  • Most HDDs work fine with the DVR+; but there there is a 2TB Seagate model that will not format. Also, 3TB or larger HDDs with 512-byte sectors (real or simulated) will not format to their full capacity. See post 8 above for much more HDD compatibility info, including an important bug with formatting large HDDs on current firmware versions.
  • If your HDD is programmed to "spin down" (i.e., stop spinning after a few minutes of inactivity), the DVR+ may not recognize the HDD when you turn it on, and you'll see an HDD error the first time you try to access your recordings. Or you may have no trouble at all; it seems to depend on how quickly your HDD powers itself back up. This is a new bug with version 124R; 114R didn't have this problem. Oddly, this bug doesn't seem to impact scheduled recordings; those always seem to work even if the HDD has to spin up, so I don't consider this a serious bug. Edit: Strike that. One user has reported that the bug causes his scheduled recordings to abort. Luckily 132R appears to fix this bug.

In addition to the bugs, there are some limitations you should be aware of. Most importantly, the DVR+ supports a maximum drive size of 2TB through version 114R. Version 124R will support larger HDDs up to at least 4TB, but only if the HDD uses 4096-byte sectors. Unfortunately, HDDs with 4096-byte sectors are becoming less common.

Also, you can only have 999 recordings on a single HDD, no matter how big the HDD is. If you mostly record 30-minute SD shows, you're more likely to hit this limit before your HDD is full. If that will be an issue, consider buying multiple smaller HDDs (1TB or less) instead of a single large HDD. That way you can just switch HDDs whenever you reach 999 recordings.

There's also a limit of (IIRC) 54 separate events you can set the DVR+ to record automatically. Some folks want to record many different shows and have run into this limit.

And there's a limit of 250 255 individual recordings in the event log, including both upcoming recordings and recording history. Normally shows will be scheduled throughout the entire 2-week span of the EPG, but if you schedule a lot of daily or Mon-Fri series, you may run into this limit. The effects will be that your recording history is short or nonexistent, and/or that some shows only get scheduled through one week or less, so as to keep the total under 255. (There are also various "sub-limits" within that overall limit of 255. For example, the recording history will never get close to 255 shows, even if there are very few upcoming shows scheduled to record.)

The DVR+ only has two outputs: HDMI and optical audio. So you need an HDMI converter box to use it with an older TV. Such boxes are inexpensive enough at Amazon.com, but still...

You cannot record the CMTV Internet channels; you can't even time-shift (pause, back up, etc.); heck, you don't even get a program guide! Oh - and CMTV engages "HDCP" (HDMI content "protection"), so if you use an HDMI converter box (as suggested above) to connect a DVR+ to an older TV, CMTV won't work at all.

You cannot have overlapping recordings on the same channel, so if you record back-to-back programs on the same channel, any "padding" between them will be dropped. This may result in the end of the first show, or the start of the second, being "cut off" by a few seconds. Manual recordings aren't much help because their start/end times have to be set in 5-minute increments, so you can't set up a manual recording that ends, say, one minute early or starts one minute late. You can, however, set up a single manual recording event that records both shows as a single recording. You can then split them apart later with video editing software on a PC.

Speaking of PCs, the DVR+'s integration with a PC is poor. Luckily @pachinko has written a Windows utility to make it much easier to copy recordings to a PC. Going the other direction (from a PC to the DVR+) is not yet possible, though
pachinko likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 08-08-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Fix event log limit (thanks Pachinko!)
post #19 of 22 Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Internal HDD

Does anyone know where I can get the internal SMD SATA female connector for the DVR+? I would like to have the HDD inside the unit to eliminate excess cable clutter. I hope someone cane answer this .
post #20 of 22 Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1966 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the internal SMD SATA female connector for the DVR+? I would like to have the HDD inside the unit to eliminate excess cable clutter. I hope someone cane answer this .
Click HERE for P Smith's post with information and photos of the 16GB model guts.

Click HERE for Iowanative's post with photos of the 1TB internal HDD model's guts.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there are other electronic components that you will need as well. There's also a bracket to hold the HDD in place (click HERE for a sketch and a photo), although you can rig your own. I'm guessing, but @P Smith may know more about what you are trying to do. If you succeed, please describe everything in detail, including photos!

Edit 1 (added quotes, with links, below):
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
Four capacitors 10nF, one spare resistor 10K (just for self spinning the drive), SATA combo connector - all SMD; plastic holder (see my drawing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Smith View Post
There was my old post with pertinent info of restoring of required SATA components;
I took the SMD SATA connector from one of portable SATA enclosures.
Unfortunately that time FW of diskless DVR+ didn't work with internal SATA HDD and DVR+ model with HDD wasn't exist.

Last edited by pachinko; 06-21-2017 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Added quotes from P Smith
post #21 of 22 Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
... Going the other direction (from a PC to the DVR+) is not yet possible, though.
I would say it's possible, if take in account a DTV PAL DVR allow that.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-22-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Comparison of old and new DVR+ remote controls

Tip o' the hat to @pilotart for inspiring this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotart View Post
My second DVR+ came w/new remote and Channel Master has no 'flat' remotes left (new style was introduced in June 2015).

I've been using new one for a couple days and old version has no advantage on DVR+'s above 114R/115R software where 'one-click' CC on/off is gone. The sole advantage was older styles ability to 'pair' with a specific DVR+ when you had two or more in same room.

The new style is Lighted and much more comfortable to hold and work in the palm of your hand. There is enough tactile difference between the various buttons that you soon don't need to look at it while using it.
So I decided to summarize the advantages of each remote.

Advantages of the original (flat) remote:

• Can be paired with a DVR+ so multiple DVR+'s can coexist in the same room
  • CC button to toggle closed captions with one click (but disabled on firmware versions 123R and later)
  • Page buttons separate from channel buttons (but page and channel buttons work identically on firmware versions 123R and later)
  • Separate power buttons for TV and DVR (new remote turns TV, DVR and optional audio receiver all on/off at once)

Advantages of the new "enhanced" remote:

• Peanut shape gives better feel
  • Back-lighted
  • Uses standard AAA batteries (original remote uses coin-type batteries)
  • In addition to the TV and DVR, can control a separate multichannel audio receiver for home theater setups

A universal remote could give you the best of both, if you have an original remote to teach the universal remote from. (See, e.g., Pachinko's post earlier in this thread on programming the Dish 20.1 remote.) But it irks me that newer firmware versions were rigged to eliminate some of the advantages of the original remotes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page