Motorola DCT6416 1TB HDD playback freeze - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Motorola DCT6416 1TB HDD playback freeze

I bought a DCT6416 from a previous Cogeco subscriber, which had a 1TB HDD installed when I bought it (I'm with Cogeco also). The unit worked flawlessly for over a year now, but suddenly is starting to freeze when playing back a new recording, and it displays a message that "it cannot perform a particular function" with none of the buttons working for a time.

After erasing that recording where that happened, some new recordings display the same problem, while all the old recordings left on the HDD play without a glitch. The HDD is about 20% full.

Does anyone know of a fix similar to the chkdsk /f command in a PC to restore the HDD to its normal function, or does it need to be reformatted? If a reformat is necessary, I just hope that it retains the 1TB capacity, and that I don't end up with the 160 GB limit. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-28-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac7 View Post
I bought a DCT6416 from a previous Cogeco subscriber, which had a 1TB HDD installed when I bought it (I'm with Cogeco also). The unit worked flawlessly for over a year now, but suddenly is starting to freeze when playing back a new recording, and it displays a message that "it cannot perform a particular function" with none of the buttons working for a time.

After erasing that recording where that happened, some new recordings display the same problem, while all the old recordings left on the HDD play without a glitch. The HDD is about 20% full.

Does anyone know of a fix similar to the chkdsk /f command in a PC to restore the HDD to its normal function, or does it need to be reformatted? If a reformat is necessary, I just hope that it retains the 1TB capacity, and that I don't end up with the 160 GB limit. Thanks...
It sounds to me like that hard drive is on its way out. The 6416 does not have any native commands that will correct errors on the drive or mark bad sectors, so you'll need to either replace it or temporarily move it to a PC or Mac and run hard disk utilities on it.

You probably should download the diagnostic tools for whatever brand of hard drive it is and see if it can scan and fix bad sectors without wiping out the file system. You will lose the 1 TB DVR recording capacity if you format the drive.
If the drive is a Seagate hard drive, download and use the Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
If the drive is a Western Digital hard drive, download and use the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows:
http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en
(Western Digital also has Mac support if you click the "Software for Mac" link and then download WD Drive Utilities for Mac. Seagate does not have Mac support for their diagnostic utilities).

You want to perform an "Extended Test" (WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic calls it this, I don't know what Seagate calls it), which will not destroy any data on the drive. It will merely check for errors and attempt to fix problems that it finds. If you format the drive or "write zeros" to the drive, you will lose all of your recordings and the drive will no longer be set up for 1 TB of DVR recording space; the 6416 would repartition it to 160 GB of DVR recording space.

If you end up wiping the drive and having it mark bad sectors, you can always re-apply the 1 TB DVR partitions by following the steps in the following post (these steps work for the 6416 as well as numerous other models of DVR):
DCT6412 Hard Drive Upgrade?

Or if you determine the drive is dying and needs to be replaced, and if you don't feel like going through the steps described in the aforementioned post, it may be best to simply buy a pre-formatted 1 TB Motorola DVR hard drive:
http://hdtvsales.ca/HDD/
The pre-formatted drives are currently $100. You can go to Amazon and get a blank 1 TB drive for about $50, so you'll have to decide if $50 in savings is worth going through the hassle of performing the 1 TB DVR partition upgrade steps. Actually, I just realized that the savings could be less than $50, as you may still need the special screwdriver for removing the security screws and you might want replacement anti-tamper tabs (though it sounds like you own this 6416, so you may not need any of that...you could probably go Rambo on those security screws with some pliers, and the previous owner of the 6416 may have already swapped them out with normal screws).

Last edited by TNO821; 08-28-2016 at 05:22 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO821 View Post
It sounds to me like that hard drive is on its way out. The 6416 does not have any native commands that will correct errors on the drive or mark bad sectors, so you'll need to either replace it or temporarily move it to a PC or Mac and run hard disk utilities on it.

You probably should download the diagnostic tools for whatever brand of hard drive it is and see if it can scan and fix bad sectors without wiping out the file system. You will lose the 1 TB DVR recording capacity if you format the drive.
If the drive is a Seagate hard drive, download and use the Seagate SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
If the drive is a Western Digital hard drive, download and use the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows:
http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en
(Western Digital also has Mac support if you click the "Software for Mac" link and then download WD Drive Utilities for Mac. Seagate does not have Mac support for their diagnostic utilities).

You want to perform an "Extended Test" (WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic calls it this, I don't know what Seagate calls it), which will not destroy any data on the drive. It will merely check for errors and attempt to fix problems that it finds. If you format the drive or "write zeros" to the drive, you will lose all of your recordings and the drive will no longer be set up for 1 TB of DVR recording space; the 6416 would repartition it to 160 GB of DVR recording space.

If you end up wiping the drive and having it mark bad sectors, you can always re-apply the 1 TB DVR partitions by following the steps in the following post (these steps work for the 6416 as well as numerous other models of DVR):
DCT6412 Hard Drive Upgrade?

Or if you determine the drive is dying and needs to be replaced, and if you don't feel like going through the steps described in the aforementioned post, it may be best to simply buy a pre-formatted 1 TB Motorola DVR hard drive:
http://hdtvsales.ca/HDD/
The pre-formatted drives are currently $100. You can go to Amazon and get a blank 1 TB drive for about $50, so you'll have to decide if $50 in savings is worth going through the hassle of performing the 1 TB DVR partition upgrade steps. Actually, I just realized that the savings could be less than $50, as you may still need the special screwdriver for removing the security screws and you might want replacement anti-tamper tabs (though it sounds like you own this 6416, so you may not need any of that...you could probably go Rambo on those security screws with some pliers, and the previous owner of the 6416 may have already swapped them out with normal screws).
Thanks for taking the time for your very comprehensive reply and for providing those links!
I thought that formatting the drive might kill the 1TB capacity, so I'm glad you confirmed that.
Lots of other options to consider first... Thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page