It's Here - The First HDTV PVR - Zenith HDR230! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 664 Old 07-25-2003, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
> As I understand from a previous post, the only way you can achieve this would be to use the timeshift function. I have personally not tried this.

I have tried this, and can confirm that it is so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 664 Old 07-26-2003, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by audvid
[BI am hoping that one point, it will have a software upgrade to allow us to watch one show while recording another. It was rather an unpleasant surprise out of a PVR. Despite these minor quirks, the picture is simply so stunning that I would not want to bother to return it. [/b]
Unless there is some way for a software update to install a second tuner?.... See my point. This unit has one tuner, therefore, it can only tune one channel at a time.

And if you were wanting to watch one recording while creating another.... There is too much processing require to do that. This is HD, not NTSC which is much easier.
post #273 of 664 Old 07-26-2003, 10:49 PM

You don't need two tuners for what is being requested.

For example: It's 9:15. I've recorded NBC from 8-9. CBS from 9-10 is recording now. I want to watch my recording from NBC while my CBS program is recording. The PVR requires only one tuner to do this - record one show while I watch another previously recorded show.

Right now this can't be done. I have to wait until 10 to watch my 8-9 show, unless I have a 10-11 show scheduled in which case I have to wait until 11 to watch my 8-9 show. Unless I'm recording Leno at 11:35-12:35 which mean I probably can't watch my 8-9 show until tomorrow. Which I must do before 8 when the whole process starts over again. And now I've got four hours of backlogged shows I can't watch unless I squeeze all of them in before 8.

Do this two days in a row and the hard drive's almost full.

There's no great problem to watch one, record one. The only limitation would be the drive's read/write speed. The decoder is only processing one data stream at a time, the watched show. The other stream is just being written without processing to the hard drive.
post #274 of 664 Old 07-26-2003, 10:57 PM

Occationally I've had timed recordings fail. Last night, my one hour record simply didn't record - it was listed as 0 minutes in the Program List listing. When I selected it, it said, "Reserve record failed due to time setting failure.".

This was a daily timed record that recorded every other night. I have my clock set to Manual. Amy ideas?
post #275 of 664 Old 07-26-2003, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never had a timed recording fail or gotten that message. However, I have had to reset the clock on at least one occasion after a brief power outage. Is it possible that your unit lost power to cause this?
post #276 of 664 Old 07-27-2003, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by JFerg
Unless there is some way for a software update to install a second tuner?.... See my point. This unit has one tuner, therefore, it can only tune one channel at a time.
Actually I do not see your point. Why would a 2nd tuner be required just to allow us to watch a previous recording while it is recording another. The first generation Replay and Tivo did exactly the same with one tuner. That is why I referred it as to being a software upgrade and not a 2nd tuner (hardware) installation (which would be quite impractical of course).

How ever, it is possible that both recording and playback need the same "engine/pipeline" but this theory is contradicted by the partial allowance of this feature by time shift function.
Quote:
Originally posted by JFerg
And if you were wanting to watch one recording while creating another.... There is too much processing require to do that. This is HD, not NTSC which is much easier.
As in the preceding posts by Jeffshome and others, this seems some what possible by using time shift function - we are able to watch the previously recorded program while it is recording. Considering this, I really do not know whether or not it has sufficient processing for doing so and assumed that a software upgrade might well be a possibility - just that - a (hopeful) possibility. This function has to be on the top of LGs enhancement list for next model.
post #277 of 664 Old 07-27-2003, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
Occationally I've had timed recordings fail. Last night, my one hour record simply didn't record - it was listed as 0 minutes in the Program List listing. When I selected it, it said, "Reserve record failed due to time setting failure.".
I thought something like this happened to me too but I cannot re-create it. It failed recording last night but it had a time shift recording of the same hour but different channel. I did not think I pressed the time shift button.
Is there a reason you wish to keep the clock in manual? Perhaps you should consider Auto clock (which is what I have).
Quote:
Originally posted by ptrubey
This was a daily timed record that recorded every other night.
How do you set a daily timer for every other night? I did not realize it was possible.
post #278 of 664 Old 07-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Quote:
As in the preceding posts by Jeffshome and others, this seems some what possible by using time shift function - we are able to watch the previously recorded program while it is recording. Considering this, I really do not know whether or not it has sufficient processing for doing so and assumed that a software upgrade might well be a possibility - just that - a (hopeful) possibility. This function has to be on the top of LGs enhancement list for next model.
Top of the list for the new model:

120GB Hard Drive
Faster Processor
Gemstar Program Guide
QAM
NTSC Tuner
post #279 of 664 Old 07-27-2003, 09:13 AM

Quote:
How do you set a daily timer for every other night? I did not realize it was possible.
I meant every night other than the night that didn't work - ie. a daily record.

I have the time set on Manual because when I had it set on Automatic, it would record everything 3 hours previous to the time I had it set for. I live in Pacific time zone and for some reason it was recording everything as if I meant Eastern time zone. Perhaps I had the timezone setting wrong at that time too.
post #280 of 664 Old 07-31-2003, 05:15 PM

Has anyone figured out how to remove sub-channels from the guide/channel list? There are a couple channels here where they are broadcasting 2 subchannels with exactly the same thing. It woiuld be nice to remove one of them altogether, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it! Any ideas? Is it possible?
post #281 of 664 Old 07-31-2003, 05:18 PM

I had the same problem. The only solution I could find was to program the channels I want into the Surf list. Not very convenient but it does allow you to skip the sub channels.
post #282 of 664 Old 08-03-2003, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I will foremost excuse my waste of bandwidth and the possibly redundant post.

Does this PVR have a component video input? 169time is WAYYYY out of hand (Price to Value investment) and movies/shows/concerts such as "Disturbed" on HDNet make me feel a "hankering" for the recording technology even more.

The only rant I will travel on is "So, 169time can do it, they know how to wire a 1394 board onto the right circuitry within the HD Receivers. Either I'm gonna go PVR or I'm gonna go nowhere. 169time is being quite exorbanent for the technology and getting the average joe interssted in the recording technology. If it was $500 (or, if they made me the offer) to put my receiver into an HTPC/avx (With 5c/DTCP support [which is probably not developed or even thought of yet]) together, for that amount it might be worth it to buy the D-VHS and 169time."

Make me an offer or give me some good news, I'm on my knees burning beggin please "help me record HDTV"

Long live Disturbed ("get those Devil Horns up Chicago! :) ")

Anthony
post #283 of 664 Old 08-03-2003, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

<Does this PVR have a component video input?

No , and nothing can record from HD analog component input. Currently, component outputs run macromedia scramble to prevent copying.
post #284 of 664 Old 08-03-2003, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Don't blame Macromedia for Macrovision. :-)
post #285 of 664 Old 08-03-2003, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

> Currently, component outputs run macro[vision] scramble to prevent copying.

I know this is generally true for DVD player outputs, but I was not aware that this was the case for HD outputs. Can anyone either confirm or correct this statement?
post #286 of 664 Old 08-03-2003, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Why would this PVR need a component video input? It has a tuner...

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #287 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

rogo, I hope you are joking. Component video = Direrectv recording. Or, whatever comes from a STB that cannot handle firewire or otherwise.
post #288 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hell with it.. What would it take to record Component HD signal from D*? I'll hire an electrician to buid it for me. (Try to get your suggestions in a decent budget area :) )

PVR/ VCR/Archive opportunity.
post #289 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 09:50 AM

I bought this product last week and I am still learning how to use it. Here are some initial impressions and likes/dislikes I have so far. (Please correct me if any of these are not valid)

Programs recorded using the guide can only be recorded with frequency of once not weekly or daily

The manual says that if the HDD finds a bad sector in a recorded program, the entire program is lost!!!

You can't add a title to a saved section of a timeshift recording

Get the message "Getting program information" for a few channels -- seems like it can't parse what the station is sending

The unit runs hot and is very hot to the touch. Needs lots of airflow -- anyone run into problems with this?

The remote controls other components but when another component is selected none of the PVR specific buttons work -- you have to switch back to the PVR to get them to work again

The unit seems to send SCMS information so making a digital copy of something recorded off it might not work (I haven't fully tested this though so this might be incorrect)

Well these are mostly dislikes but I am very happy with the unit despite the above comments. It is so nice to finally be able to record HDTV!!! I am already using it a lot more than I thought I would. Definitely recommended.

Will
post #290 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyB
Hell with it.. What would it take to record Component HD signal from D*? I'll hire an electrician to buid it for me. (Try to get your suggestions in a decent budget area :) )

PVR/ VCR/Archive opportunity.
An electrician? That's pretty funny.

There exists a Panasonic device to do this, and it records onto tapes. It's around $1,000 used, and does not record dolby digital. It's called WVHS. Just wait for the HD-DirecTiVo in January.
post #291 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 06:05 PM

That "electrician" would be a millionaire if he could design and build such a system for you! Everyone would buy one from him! Sorry its not possible.
post #292 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 804
JVC makes a couple of HD component video VCRs. They're the only ones I've ever heard of (they first made them in 3 or 4 years ago and never introduced new models), they only record stereo sound, the tape for them is extremely expensive and they cost something between $4000 and $5000 dollars.

These expensive VCRs also record the signal in analog form. A PVR would have to digitize the analog signal in real time, convert it to MPEG and store it on disk. Non trivial, and you probably wouldn't like the results (automatically authored MPEG--TiVo mangled HD).

-- Mike Scott

aviators99 --

Panasonic made a $1000 W-VHS deck? I thought that only JVC ever did and theirs cost 5 times that.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #293 of 664 Old 08-04-2003, 07:56 PM
DP1
AVS Special Member

Panasonic made a Japanese model too, Mike (I happen to own one). But it's basically just a rebadged JVC. As for cost, the 1000.00 that av's mentioned had the word "used" after it.

I got mine for about 700.00. Sometimes they pop up on ebay even less than that, though not usually.

For me it works great but then again I already had 3 STB's with Component output. I just use DPLII for audio and it works well enough for much of HD content out there. I dont think ABC's "8 Simple Rules" for example benefits much from 5.1 audio. ;)

Tapes are high priced indeed but that doesnt matter much to me either because it so happens I dont care to archive anyway.

Dan

Don't confuse me with facts...
My mind is made up.
;-)
post #294 of 664 Old 08-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
[quote]Originally posted by michaeltscott
[b]These expensive VCRs also record the signal in analog form. A PVR would have to digitize the analog signal in real time, convert it to MPEG and store it on disk. Non trivial, and you probably wouldn't like the results (automatically authored MPEG--TiVo mangled HD).

Yep. Much, much easier to just record the compressed digital broadcast feed, before it is uncompressed by the MPEG engine. I'm sure this is what the HD PVRs are doing.

Regarding the "automatically authored MPEG", note that this is essentially what is happening with live HD video feeds. I like those results (i.e., last nights MNF!).

#include stdsig.h
post #295 of 664 Old 08-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

The new JVC Hidef consumer camcorder also must do "automatically authored MPEG".
post #296 of 664 Old 08-05-2003, 11:53 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
JVC makes a couple of HD component video VCRs. They're the only ones I've ever heard of (they first made them 3 or 4 years ago and never introduced new models)...
W-VHS is somewhat older than that. It's been around for almost a decade as an HD recording system.

There are USENET postings from July 1994 that refer to it, and probably some older than that (I didn't do a very thorough search).

Ron Gomes
post #297 of 664 Old 08-05-2003, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Anthony, in case it's not clear from all the subsequent posts: It cannot be done.

The component video from a DirecTV box or whatever source would have to be re-digitized -- in real-time.

And it can't be done.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #298 of 664 Old 08-07-2003, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it can be done. You just need some $50000+ for the real-time HD MPEG encoder. Oh yeah, plus some money for a team of electrical engineers to integrate a system for you. I'd be impressed with an electrician who could do it.
post #299 of 664 Old 08-07-2003, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess you all got a rise out of that one. Didn't realize how silly the question was when I asked it. Call me a dreamer, I was just being hopeful.
post #300 of 664 Old 08-07-2003, 04:58 PM

No sweat Anthony!
Many of us dream that same dream...

Take Care,
merc
PS - I like your gumption though :)
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version