It's Here - The First HDTV PVR - Zenith HDR230! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 664 Old 10-13-2003, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a way to wipe out RESV recordings on the HD which I discovered because I am an idiot: Power up, and hit TimeShift. Then, instead of hitting Stop to correct the mistake, hit Power and turn the 230 off. When you power back up, your RESV recordings are gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 664 Old 10-13-2003, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a way to wipe out RESV recordings on the HD which I discovered because I am an idiot: Power up, and hit TimeShift. Then, instead of hitting Stop to correct the mistake, hit Power and turn the 230 off. When you power back up, your RESV recordings are gone!
post #453 of 664 Old 10-13-2003, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Whitehead
Interesting. Are you saying it deletes all of the recordings that it already made due to reservations, or are you saying it deletes the reservation itself? If the former, you're saying that it leaves the recordings that were made manually?
post #454 of 664 Old 10-14-2003, 12:12 PM

Hi All
Has anyone found a way to watch resv recording while they are in progress. For example I set up to record the game from 4pm to 7pm and go to work. I arrive home at 5pm and want to start watching the game from the beginning. What can I do. This is easy on TiVO.
Henry
post #455 of 664 Old 10-14-2003, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Aviator-
I retract this post; it was in error.

My 2nd 230 is defective in the exact same way my first one was. At first, it makes RESV recordings of a single program on a given day. It then fails to make RESV recordings of 2 back to back programs on a given day, though it appears to be recording (powers up/down at correct times; red record light on; HD spinning). After that it will not make any RESV recordings at all, though it appears to be recording.

I called Zenith and suggested that I must be doing something wrong since both 230s failed the same way and was told that both 230s were defective in the same way. Another unit swap.

I mentioned the post above by the "Cheif Engineer" stating that only one returned 230 was actually defective and was told by the Zenith rep that all of their engineers were in Korea, and that they had many more than just one defective 230.
post #456 of 664 Old 10-14-2003, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Zenith/LG has a large number of engineers in either Tenn or Alabama I think it is. Plus a few that are around the country in certain geographies.

I know this to be an absolute fact, their customer service uses that line on alot of people. I have names and numbers filed away somewhere but please don't email me for them they don't work with the public generally.

Since I bought one of the very first 520's I worked with them on PSIP and other issues with very first versions of firmware so thats why they talked to me. Some of them, one in Texas were let go I was told this past year. Also there used to be more of them.

I had problems with a 520 unit and had to deal with several engineers extensively over about a year.

I am told generally the public doesn't get to speak to these guys. But it was very insulting to repeatedly call customer service and can canned inaccurate responses. So if you do have an issue that warrants an engineers attention here in the states don't pay too much attention to what they say, I think it's a script or something.

If they say are an engineer they may in fact be one.

JFerg is not any of the above of people and has nothing to with this post btw. He's a great guy and I like both my 520 and my 230 a great deal.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
post #457 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by annisquam
Hi All
Has anyone found a way to watch resv recording while they are in progress. For example I set up to record the game from 4pm to 7pm and go to work. I arrive home at 5pm and want to start watching the game from the beginning. What can I do. This is easy on TiVO.
Henry
This ain't your mom's TiVo ;-)

You can't.
post #458 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have tried both ways - with automatic time set and manual. With automatic, Tuesday I had the recorder set to record from 7:00 PM for 93 minutes. The stupid thing started recording at 6:53 and still cut off the last 5 minutes of Fraiser. I double checked to see if the time on the recorder matched the time shown by the station (channel 2) and they do match exactly. What is going on?
post #459 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Set the time manually. PSIP times from the stations are all screwed up. I have one local station whose PSIP time is off by one hour. If you use automatic time set, the 230 relies on the particular stations PSIP time for start/stop record.
post #460 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In the Washington DC area as in most communities, PSIP is sent out via PBS. I have not had a problem since 1998. I think tou all should return the 230. It oviously has some severe software glitches. BTW how does it deal with multipath. This has been and continues to be the No. 1 problem when trying to receive ATSC. Is this tuner and it's operating software any better than first generation DTC100's? As I read these comments, I wonder whether the many "anomalies" are in fact due to breaks in the data stream and a failure of the machine to handle the errors produced by such breaks.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #461 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
> In the Washington DC area as in most communities, PSIP is sent out via PBS.

this is absolutely incorrect -- PSIP data (including time information) is associated with *every* station that transmits digitally, and is not just "sent out via PBS."

Blaming "software bugs" for the very real problems that folks have had with boxes from multiple vendors due to PSIP issues is just off-base.
post #462 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 04:06 PM

It appears that between several posts, the "answers" are out there.

XDS is typically carried on the local PBS signals. However, XDS is not PSIP. PSIP includes the ATSC version of XDS-type data plus a lot more.

For the problem of "back to back" timer recording, especially on different channels, make sure that you manually set your clock on the HDR230. If two stations have different times set in the clock, especially overlapping, the second recording will not take place as the HDR230 gets mixed up and "thinks" it missed the second start time.

As far as the HDR230's tuning abilities... not trying to sell the item but as I mentioned in another post, best sums it up... OTA HD is bradcasted via 8VSB. LG - Zenith invented 8VSB.
post #463 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrHifi
In the Washington DC area as in most communities, PSIP is sent out via PBS. I have not had a problem since 1998.
I've always set the time on mine manually. But just for grins I tuned to PBS and changing the clock setting to "Auto" gave me a time 0:02:53 behind the actual time. My "Actual Time" standard comes from an atomic clock radio receiver cross-checked against both my PC and GPS. So I'll stick with my manual setting for the 'time' being.

Although, since we're on the subject of time, I am wondering what will happen once Daylight Saving Time ends later this month. Smart money says I'll need to once again manually set the clock (and of course change the batteries in my smoke detectors).

Digging out the shipping documents it has now been a month since I've received my PVR. So far it hasn't missed a recording. My hour shows are listed as '59 minutes', but everything records. I can go through the PBS listings once a month and set up recordings without worrying. Life, in my little spot of the US, is good. Were I to have the TiVo-like ability to Record One/Watch One my Zenith would be almost perfect. Perfect requires dual tuners

[edited due to faulty grammar whilst watching the Reds/Yankees game]
post #464 of 664 Old 10-15-2003, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had my HDR230 since the end of May -- and it has only missed a timer recording on one occasion, when a power outage had knocked out the clock and I wasn't home to reset it.

Oh, and the HD playback on "Enterprise" looked great tonight!
post #465 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Desmond
I've had my HDR230 since the end of May -- and it has only missed a timer recording on one occasion, when a power outage had knocked out the clock and I wasn't home to reset it.

Oh, and the HD playback on "Enterprise" looked great tonight!

Is Star Trek OTA really HD in the Metroplex? I thought it was SD since you you have to zoom it to fill the screen.

So after a few months of owning the Zenith would you recommend it or should I wait for the LG 3410 with DVI and fire wire out?

:cool:

HD Rules
post #466 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

"Enterprise" is HD effective with last night's broadcast -- they just started.

As for the HDR-230 versus the 3410 -- it really comes down to whether you want to be able to record HD now versus waiting several more months. The HDR-230 works, and I haven't encountered any of the problems that have been reported elsewhere, so if these problems really are tied to the stations' PSIP, then the 230 should be a good bet here in the Metroplex.

Aside from that, the 3410 does add some nice features...but whether they're worth waiting for is debatable and just depends on what matters to you. I don't regret my decision, and plan to keep my 230 for the next couple years (while I'm back in school) so I don't plan to upgrade for a while.
post #467 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Before I order one. Does this unit have RGBHV outputs?

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #468 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrHifi
Before I order one. Does this unit have RGBHV outputs?

Per this info from LG, it appears that it does:

http://www.lgusa.com/dav/digital_rcv/LST-3410A.pdf
post #469 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I recorded this on my 230, wow. IT was so sharp I could see rastering on the pod/shuttlecraft from the Enterprise when it launched.

I too see many things about the 3410a that I like, esp the firewire out.

I am will to bet its video quality due to the new generation tuners is superb out the firewire compared to anything else for some time to come.

I just want to record it on dvds not tapes and right now hard drives aren't big enough for too much.

A pity really, if I could find some way to get the bandwidth into a DVD recorder, a regular 4.7gb dvd should record just about 1 hr of Enterprise.

Any idea's anyone on this?

The problem with buying the 3410a now that I have the 230 is I don't really gain that much unless there is some way, since I prefer dvd to archive the HD programs.

I tried the 480i output of the Zenith 520 and the 230 and NEITHER go into the Philips 985 dvd recorder correctly. Since it does take dvd output of home made dvd's , that don't have copy protecting just fine (home picnic movies for example), it makes me wonder if the 480i outputs of the Zenith machines have a bandwith issue? Also any thoughts on this?

Anyone used the 480i ouptuts to record into 480i inputs on a dvd recorder?

post #470 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZZtop
This past week, I have been burning ALIAS out in 480i of a 230 to the composite input of a DVR313 (new Zenith DVD Recorder) without any problems.

Edit: Ugh Typos happen when watching the Yanks! (Composite Input)
post #471 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I've made a couple of DVDs this way via S-video with my Philips DVDR75 recorder. No problems at all. The ability to edit out the commercials before sending it to DVD is really handy.
post #472 of 664 Old 10-16-2003, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Have either of you tried using the component 480i output to 480i input?

Thats what I tried, I got a double image on the Philips.

thanks

post #473 of 664 Old 10-17-2003, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Still having my 230 start its recording 7 minutes early. I guess I'll have to manually set the time to 7 minutes later than the actual time to get it to record properly. This is really dumb. Zenith may have invented 8VSB, but they really have a problem with their timers.
post #474 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Have either of you tried using the component 480i output to 480i input?

Thats what I tried, I got a double image on the Philips.

thanks
Uhh ZZTop.... The HDR230 does not have 480i output on the component, right? I cannot open my files today, and forgive me I have been dealing with 11 different STBs lately but, I think the lowest res. the 230 sends on the YPbPr is 480p. That would explain the double image when sending to a 480i input.
post #475 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

> Still having my 230 start its recording 7 minutes early. I guess I'll have to manually set the time to 7 minutes later than the actual time to get it to record properly.

Mine is dead on accurate with the starting time -- but I am manually setting the clock, not using PSIP. You may want to double check that you have it set for manual time setting.

Regarding outputs of the HDR230 -- component is 1080i, 720p, or 480p. As JFerg notes, 480i output is composite of S-video only.
post #476 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, I haven't had any trouble with my 230 starting early either. I've set the clock manually, and it starts right on time, every time.

--Bill R.
post #477 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else had the problem I have had w/two 230s: intermittent (50%) recording of RESV weekly programs. Unit powers up/down; record light on; HD spinning. But when I go to the Program List, there is nothing recorded though it has correctly set the following week's RESV recording for the unrecorded show. I may just start doing manual record which always works and forget RESV recording.
post #478 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 02:51 PM

I also set my clock manually and it has worked great since the day I got it (the day it was released).
post #479 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Whitehead
Has anyone else had the problem I have had w/two 230s: intermittent (50%) recording of RESV weekly programs.
That hasn't happened to me, though admittedly I've only had the thing for three weeks. I have made about a dozen RESV recordings though with no problems.

--Bill R.
post #480 of 664 Old 10-18-2003, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had mine for over four months without any intermittent recording problems.
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page