It's Here - The First HDTV PVR - Zenith HDR230! - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #631 of 664 Old 04-15-2005, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, after several weeks of complaining to LG about my HDR230 missing several scheduled recordings and listening to "Wow, we've never heard of that one before," I finally convinced them that I'm not the only one having this problem and there's something wrong with my unit. So, I sent it in for repair or replacement today. So, if any of you are experiencing the missing recording bug, you might want to send yours to LG too while it's still fresh in their minds.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 664 Old 04-28-2005, 06:20 AM

Liked: 10
I have noticed that when I stop timeshifting (pressing the stop button) only the last 30 minutes seems to be saved. Am I using the wrong button to stop recording in timeshift mode or is there something else I need to do to keep the full recording? Thanks.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #633 of 664 Old 04-28-2005, 08:25 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If this works like the LG3410 then you can hit the record button, then select how much of the timeshifted show you want to save, and then save it.

John

Quote:
Originally posted by dhahne
I have noticed that when I stop timeshifting (pressing the stop button) only the last 30 minutes seems to be saved. Am I using the wrong button to stop recording in timeshift mode or is there something else I need to do to keep the full recording? Thanks.
post #634 of 664 Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 AM

To save more than the last 30 minutes of timeshifting, move to the point at which you want to start saving and press "record". Then move to the point at which you want to stop and press "record". This will save the desired portion. I don't have the manual with me, so I don't know if I have the names correctly, but it refers to this as either "clip edit" or "clip record"; I can't remember which applies to timeshifting. (The other applies to editing a previously recorded program.)

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the 3410A thread, but someone suggested pressing "record" after starting the timeshift. This prevents you from accidentally pressing "stop" and losing what you wanted to save. (If you have only marked one point during timeshifting and press "stop", the unit will inform you and not stop recording.)
post #635 of 664 Old 04-28-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NS324
To save more than the last 30 minutes of timeshifting, move to the point at which you want to start saving and press "record". Then move to the point at which you want to stop and press "record". This will save the desired portion. I don't have the manual with me, so I don't know if I have the names correctly, but it refers to this as either "clip edit" or "clip record"; I can't remember which applies to timeshifting. (The other applies to editing a previously recorded program.)

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the 3410A thread, but someone suggested pressing "record" after starting the timeshift. This prevents you from accidentally pressing "stop" and losing what you wanted to save. (If you have only marked one point during timeshifting and press "stop", the unit will inform you and not stop recording.)
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #636 of 664 Old 05-02-2005, 02:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by jsevinsk
Well, after several weeks of complaining to LG about my HDR230 missing several scheduled recordings and listening to "Wow, we've never heard of that one before," I finally convinced them that I'm not the only one having this problem and there's something wrong with my unit.
The ocassional times when mine has missed a recording seems to be when the station reception is poor. I think if it doesn't get a lock in 4-5 seconds, it just gives up. It isn't smart enough to do a channel up and channel down, like you would when watching a show live, so it just hangs.

Chris

Chris

post #637 of 664 Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Chriscpm
The ocassional times when mine has missed a recording seems to be when the station reception is poor.
Oh, that's not my problem. I'm getting a really good signal. It was also very consistent about which programs it would refuse to record.

After getting my unit back, it hasn't missed any recordings yet, but it's too early to say that it's really fixed, since I'm not recording the same exact shows as before.

One thing I did notice is that both before and after it was "fixed," some shows (like "Las Vegas" for example) show up in the list as being only 52 minutes long, even though I set it to manually record 60 minutes. The weird thing is that it seems to have recorded the whole show anyway, because it starts and ends in nearly the exact same spots as the TiVo's recording, which is 60 minutes. Anyone else seen this one?

John
post #638 of 664 Old 05-13-2005, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
There's an echo in the room...

I have seen it where a recording shows as being significantly different from the actual running time -- I'm thinking that the running time that shows on the HDR-230 is based on the amount of hard drive space used by a recording, and is estimated from some sort of data rate information in the feed. It is an estimate, and thus can be off, although the errors that I usually see are quite slight -- perhaps 59 minutes versus 60.
post #639 of 664 Old 05-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hi - yes, i recall the manual mentioning the same thing you say, Thomas Desmond special member dude . i often see "52 minutes" for a one hour show. a show that is 4:3 will take less disk space because of the unicolor bars on the side for the whole time. or a 16:9 HD show with lots of 4:3 commercials will
take less than the "full time" worth of space.

only very rarely have i recorded an SDTV show - i'll give that a try. if i notice anything interesting with regard to the reported "length" of the show, then i'll report back.
i've been using my hdr230 a lot less ever since i got the sci-atl HDPVR cable box from my cable company. that thing is awesome. i can watch a recorded HD show while recording *two* others. with those two tuners, the HDR230's tuner, and my TV's ATSC tuner, i am in HD-hog-heaven - i can actually record 3 HD shows while watching a 4th "live" - or record 3 and watch 1 via cablebox playback.
post #640 of 664 Old 05-14-2005, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

tveli,

Doesn't the poor quality you get from the pizza dishes get to you? The HD on Direct and Dish are so compressed that archiving anything is out of the question.
If you are time shifting, I understand your excitement. I wish I owned several LG3410A's more. Right now I use the LG to timeshift OTA HD, 2 SVHS VCR's to record what I can't get elsewhere in HD, an RCA DTC100 to watch HD and a Sony 32XBR950 for the rest of the HD in bed. A 4DTV system with an HDD200 is how I bring in the HD movie channels from C Band Satellite where they apply no compression to the HD feeds. You should see what a copy looks like using the 169 time mod. To be clear, all my local HD comes OTA with no compression from the cable company. I would love to try the new Sony HD PVR's

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #641 of 664 Old 05-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

mrhifi - no pizza dishes here - just one cm4248 directional yagi and adelphia cable, both giving great HD quality...
post #642 of 664 Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM

I had the shows not recording problem that others on this board were having (it was driving me nuts). I think the problem for me has been I would leave the unit on most of the time (like a TiVo). I haven't had problems since I started shutting off the unit.
post #643 of 664 Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi
tveli,

Doesn't the poor quality you get from the pizza dishes get to you? The HD on Direct and Dish are so compressed that archiving anything is out of the question.
I certainly wish I had the space for a C-band dish, but E* will have to do. I have no PQ issues with E*. At the moment, HDNet and HDNet movies are full bit rate (> 17mbps). While HBO is stat-muxed with two other channels, it appears to be keeping up with its historical bitrate of 10-13 Mbps. Overall, most channels are still archival quality, at least with a 169time rig. D* is another story.

-Dylan

I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!
post #644 of 664 Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli
aviators99, sounds like you are trying all the things i'd try. except i have not yet swapped the hard-disk on my hdr230 despite its ever-creeping bad-blocks... fwiw, i read somewhere that the hdr230 should function fine as a tuner even with no hard-disk. do you see the same issues when you put in a non-full hard drive? can you get any audio output out of it? i do not think there is something special you have to do via the remote to operate it.
How do these bad-blocks show themselves? I had an interesting problem last night where the live broadcast (through the HDR230 receiver) was solid and looked great but the recording of the same segments showed lots of pixelation and what I call the transporter effect (where people against a fixed background will sort of be cut and pasted to a new location). This only occured during the second hour or more of a timeshift recording I was making. Any thoughts?

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #645 of 664 Old 09-26-2005, 07:09 PM

I don't have a need for my HDR 230 any longer. I now have Comcast cable with the Motorola two-tuner DVR. Any one want to buy a (or another) 230? It worked perfectly when taken out of service.

Email me at my email if interested.

Thanks.
post #646 of 664 Old 10-05-2005, 10:18 AM

Liked: 13
I'm interested in buying a HDR230. If you like to sell yours please PM me.

Thanks, Paul

(KBandy already sold his)
post #647 of 664 Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 PM

My HDR-230 keeps losing the its time setting. Basically it is behaving like it is losing power but this is happening when there does not appear to be any power lose in the house. Once it even happened while I was watching a recorded show. The unit just glitched off and lost the current time. There did not appear to be any disruption to the power (no lights flickered or dimmed, the tv did not reset, etc). Has anyone else seen this type of behavior and if so is there a simple fix or does the unit need to go to the shop? Thanks.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #648 of 664 Old 12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like the power supply needs to be replaced.
post #649 of 664 Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro
Sounds like the power supply needs to be replaced.
Thanks. With that in mind I am trying a little experiment. I have taken the unit out of the equipment stack (normally it is in a cabinet with a DVD player sitting on top of it that partially covers the top vent) to see if this is a thermal problem. Initial results are pointing to that being the cause. But because the problem has become more frequent in recently I suspect that a part is beginning to fail.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #650 of 664 Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The LG LST3410A suffers from premature failure if the vent holes are in any way blocked. Once the damage is done, the unit will continue failing. Thermal runaway in solid state equipment is equivalent to creating a leak in a tube. Your 230 was built by LG so i expect it suffers from the same problem. I wouldd get rid of it.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #651 of 664 Old 12-06-2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHifi
The LG LST3410A suffers from premature failure if the vent holes are in any way blocked. Once the damage is done, the unit will continue failing. Thermal runaway in solid state equipment is equivalent to creating a leak in a tube. Your 230 was built by LG so i expect it suffers from the same problem. I wouldd get rid of it.
Given the cost to replace an OTA HD receiver/recorder (believe it or not I long ago abandoned cable) repair will be my first option to investigate. Do you know if the failure mode is in the power supply or the receiver/controller?

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #652 of 664 Old 12-09-2005, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhahne
Thanks. With that in mind I am trying a little experiment. I have taken the unit out of the equipment stack (normally it is in a cabinet with a DVD player sitting on top of it that partially covers the top vent) to see if this is a thermal problem. Initial results are pointing to that being the cause. But because the problem has become more frequent in recently I suspect that a part is beginning to fail.
I have moved the DVD player off of the HDR230 (thus clearing the vents of obstructions) and so far the unit has been working without problem. I am sure that I am only delaying a trip to the repair shop but it is a start.

Dave Hahne
Poquoson, VA
<><
post #653 of 664 Old 01-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Looking for HDR230
I'm interested in buying a HDR230.
Me too. Refurbished or used, as long as it is in good working condition.
Since I have RGBHV inputs on my CRT projector, I'm trying to locate a compatible OTA HD DVR.

"The dfference between men & boys is the cost of their high-tech toys!" :)
post #654 of 664 Old 01-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

I'm about ready to give up on the automatic clock setting here in NY. Has anyone in NY gotten this to work reliably? If so, how?
post #655 of 664 Old 01-31-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddtech
Me too. Refurbished or used, as long as it is in good working condition.
Since I have RGBHV inputs on my CRT projector, I'm trying to locate a compatible OTA HD DVR.
I have an HDR230 I'd like to sell. Works great in NYC, but I'm switching to cable. PM me if interested. I couldn't PM you kiddtech.
post #656 of 664 Old 03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

can anyone rent me a clue about what hard drives are currently available that i can swap into my HDR230. the factory hard drive has totally bitten the dust - i can hear the heads scraping the disk, or something nasty like that. every time i power on the unit it tries to reformat the disk, making some horrific noises. years ago i see folks replaced the drives with maxtor 120G or 160G, 5400 rpm. i'm not sure those are available currently, nor am i sure whether to go for ATA or IDE. i suppose that will be obvious once i crack the case... in the meantimes, clues appreciated.. thanks...
also i'm looking for a settop QAM-HD decoder, anyone got a link to one of those, for unscrambled QAM DTV channels?
post #657 of 664 Old 03-10-2006, 01:30 PM

Just about any ATA will work 7200 or 5400 .
post #658 of 664 Old 09-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Will this box record unencrypted digital QAM signals? When I do a channel scan it asks for antenna type, DTV or CADTV. I use an OTA antenna and I choose DTV. Is CADTV used for digital cable?
post #659 of 664 Old 09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli
years ago i see folks replaced the drives with maxtor 120G or 160G, 5400 rpm. i'm not sure those are available currently, nor am i sure whether to go for ATA or IDE. i suppose that will be obvious once i crack the case.
Remember that there is an upper limit for HD size in these units, so don't waste your $$ on the latest, biggest HD. If you can find exactly what you mentioned, you'll be in good shape (RPM and all).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #660 of 664 Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

thanks Stanton. i bought a drive just over the largest size the HDR230 could use. it's working fine.
dturturro, no the HDR230 does not have a QAM tuner. i think that CADTV setting is for the ancient method some cable companies used in pre-QAM days where they put the ATSC stream onto the cable. so the CADTV setting just looks for ATSC signals on the set of cable frequencies (superset of the OTA frequencies).
in QAM news, i did also get a "PHD-101" QAM tuner in order to try to pick up the red sox NESN-HD. but nooooooo, NESN-HD is scrambled. on the other hand, lucky me, now i get to watch all the on-demand which my nearest 100 neighbors buy, since all the on-demand content is sent unscrambled. what a dumbass design on-demand is in that regard!
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page