Need recommendation on recording HD on air tv channels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 3 Post By jjeff
  • 1 Post By Kelson
  • 1 Post By jjeff
  • 1 Post By Kelson
  • 1 Post By Kelson
  • 1 Post By Kelson

post #1 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Need recommendation on recording HD on air tv channels

Hi

I just start looking into recording HD tv from antenna. I need recommendation of a reliable unit to do so. I looked on Amazon, I found a few, but the review is mixed. It is important to reliably recording weekly programs for me, seems like they all have issue that fail to record. I need recommendation on what to buy. Below are a few I looked at.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Ho...ntenna+to+HDMI

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-AT-300...ntenna+to+HDMI

https://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Roamio-S...enna%2Btv&th=1

Also, the cheap ones require an USB hard drive, do I just get any USB drive for regular computers?

Nakamichi PA-7 amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Coming soon: Own design power amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
In all honesty if reliability is at all important I'd go with the Tivo, it just works
I tried several of those sub $50 DVRs and while they did work most of the time they were quite quirky and had some major limitations, the most being you cannot be recording something while also watching a previously recorded program, a real deal breaker IMO for a single DVR family.
AFA the HDD, yes basically any USB HDD will work, I wouldn't suggest a USB thumb drive as they add even more quirks and chances of missing your recording.
Unless cost is the end all in your decision I'd avoid all those very cheap DVRs, unfortunately other than the Tivo there aren't a whole lot of reliable trouble-free DVRs available, at any price range
If you had pay TV but didn't want the Tivo I'd strongly suggest just renting a DVR, for OTA use Tivo is really your best choice.
Kelson, mickinct and alan0354 like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
In all honesty if reliability is at all important I'd go with the Tivo, it just works
I tried several of those sub $50 DVRs and while they did work most of the time they were quite quirky and had some major limitations, the most being you cannot be recording something while also watching a previously recorded program, a real deal breaker IMO for a single DVR family.
AFA the HDD, yes basically any USB HDD will work, I wouldn't suggest a USB thumb drive as they add even more quirks and chances of missing your recording.
Unless cost is the end all in your decision I'd avoid all those very cheap DVRs, unfortunately other than the Tivo there aren't a whole lot of reliable trouble-free DVRs available, at any price range
If you had pay TV but didn't want the Tivo I'd strongly suggest just renting a DVR, for OTA use Tivo is really your best choice.
Thanks

The third link is a TIVO, it has no fee, is that a good one? Also, can I record more than one channel at the same time? Can I hook up external hard drive to back up the recordings?

Nakamichi PA-7 amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Thanks

The third link is a TIVO, it has no fee, is that a good one? Also, can I record more than one channel at the same time? Can I hook up external hard drive to back up the recordings?
No, that link is to the old 500GB model. You would be paying $300 for a refurbished model. Better to spend the extra $50 for a new one with 1TB HDD.

Roamio OTA has 4 tuners, you can record up to 4 different channels at a time while watching anything you have already recorded. It has a full host of other advanced features and requires an Internet connection.

To backup recordings you use a program called kmttg to transfer the recordings over your network to your PC. From there you can do anything you want with them.
alan0354 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Can I hook up external hard drive to back up the recordings?
As Kelson said, with a Tivo you backup your recordings with a program and your network and PC.
If you're a dinosaur like me you can also backup things realtime via composite to something like a DVD recorder but a network is much better and HD.
alan0354 likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
...To backup recordings you use a program called kmttg to transfer the recordings over your network to your PC. From there you can do anything you want with them.
Please tell me more about kmttg. Does it copy files from the internal TIVO hard drive through your home network to your computer? What file extension do those files have? Can they be converted to a file extension that can be burned to a DVD?
In simpler terms, if I record a movie from OTA, can i use kmttg to burn a copy to a DVD that I can use later for my own personal enjoyment (staying on the right side of copyright laws)?

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #7 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
Does it copy files from the internal TIVO hard drive through your home network to your computer?
Yes. Either manually (on-demand) or you can activate kmttg server on an always-on PC (or server) and it will automatically download the episodes of a series after it has completed recording.

Quote:
What file extension do those files have?
The native file format is .tivo which is standard MPEG-2 video with a TiVo wrapper that contains all the episode meta data. Retain this format if you intend to transfer the recording back to the TiVo. If you want portability, you can tell kmttg to automatically strip off the wrapper and leave a totally standard vanilla .mpg file that just about anything can play.

Quote:
Can they be converted to a file extension that can be burned to a DVD?
TiVo records in HD/5.1. You don't burn HD to DVD -- for some channels you can't even fit a 1hr HD show on a single DVD. If you want to keep as HD, you convert the .mpg to .m2ts and burn to BluRay, BD-R. If you want to make a DVD, you have to re-code the video down to 480i MPEG-2 in order to author a standard DVD. Video ReDo is the program made to do all this. With VRD you can edit out the commercials and save as .m2ts for burning to BD-R or do a recode to 480i and author to DVD -- all within VRD.

Here is the Wiki for kmttg. There is a way for kmttg to download and use the SkipMode data to automatically cut the commercials as part of the download process. I haven't had time to get into that yet. It's an amazing program and does a lot more. You can control your TiVo from it, transfer 1-passes and mass delete recordings -- much more.
alan0354 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To bad about the Funai/Magnavox recorders.
New Magnavox HD DVRs 4th Qtr 2016: MDR877H, TB560HP, TB560HS

Last edited by youhavequestions; 12-12-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: mistake
post #9 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kelson

I think I have a reasonable idea on recording. Can you name the specific Tivo to buy. Is it one that doesn't need to pay monthly fee? So I can record up to 4 channels HD at the same time?

Another question, now that I record the shows, I can transfer to an external hard drive. Question is how to play back on another tv without Tivo. Is there any device to convert the show stored in the hard drive to drive the tv through the HDMI input? I also need to have RCA analog L and R audio output to drive the stereo. I need to have high quality analog output to drive my stereo. Please give me suggestions

Thanks

Alan

post #10 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Can you name the specific Tivo to buy.
For OTA, the 1TB model from the link you cited.

Quote:
Another question, now that I record the shows, I can transfer to an external hard drive. Question is how to play back on another tv without Tivo.
If you are talking about another TV in your home, TiVo is designed around whole-house DVR networking. Just buy a TiVo Mini which is an extender and will play the recordings from your host TiVo without having to transfer to a PC. If you mean portability outside your home network, you will need a media player you can attach the HDD to which then plugs into the target TV. Unfortunately the best one, the WDTV Live, is no longer on the market. There are others that will do the job like KDlinks. Some TV's or many BluRay players will play files from a HDD plugged into their USB ports. That may be an option for you.
alan0354 likes this.

- kelson h

post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
...The native file format is .tivo which is standard MPEG-2 video with a TiVo wrapper that contains all the episode meta data. Retain this format if you intend to transfer the recording back to the TiVo. If you want portability, you can tell kmttg to automatically strip off the wrapper and leave a totally standard vanilla .mpg file that just about anything can play.

TiVo records in HD/5.1. You don't burn HD to DVD -- for some channels you can't even fit a 1hr HD show on a single DVD. If you want to keep as HD, you convert the .mpg to .m2ts and burn to BluRay, BD-R. If you want to make a DVD, you have to re-code the video down to 480i MPEG-2 in order to author a standard DVD.....
I have TCMP enc. If I can convert to an mpg, I can burn on to a disc at SD.

Thanks for the valuable info!

Indirectly Outta Compton
post #12 of 13 Old 12-12-2016, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For OTA, the 1TB model from the link you cited.

If you are talking about another TV in your home, TiVo is designed around whole-house DVR networking. Just buy a TiVo Mini which is an extender and will play the recordings from your host TiVo without having to transfer to a PC. If you mean portability outside your home network, you will need a media player you can attach the HDD to which then plugs into the target TV. Unfortunately the best one, the WDTV Live, is no longer on the market. There are others that will do the job like KDlinks. Some TV's or many BluRay players will play files from a HDD plugged into their USB ports. That may be an option for you.
Thanks

I got the Tivo part out of the way, now just question on playing back. I need to play on other tvs with HDMI input, but I also need to have analog audio output for my stereo setup. That is I need L and R channel to go to my preamp.

I don't mind buying extra memory stick or other USB storage device. How many hours of tv can I store with 1TBIT drive? I would like to back up the shows in case the main drive in the Tivo falls. I need to transform whatever format ( I think you said is .tivo file) so I can watch on another tv setup. I prefer to even be able to watch on computer as I do travel and I want to bring shows to watch at night. Please give me suggestion on what to buy in play back side. This, reliability is not important anymore as this is only play back. So I am looking for cheaper way for play back as long as the audio quality is good.

Thanks

post #13 of 13 Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I got the Tivo part out of the way, now just question on playing back. I need to play on other tvs with HDMI input, but I also need to have analog audio output for my stereo setup. That is I need L and R channel to go to my preamp.

I don't mind buying extra memory stick or other USB storage device. How many hours of tv can I store with 1TBIT drive? I would like to back up the shows in case the main drive in the Tivo falls. I need to transform whatever format ( I think you said is .tivo file) so I can watch on another tv setup. I prefer to even be able to watch on computer as I do travel and I want to bring shows to watch at night. Please give me suggestion on what to buy in play back side. This, reliability is not important anymore as this is only play back. So I am looking for cheaper way for play back as long as the audio quality is good.
  • Using kmttg you can transfer the recordings to your PC as standard .mpg files. You can use any number of PC programs to play them back on your PC, i.e. VLC. If you can plug your PC/laptop into your TV, you have a possible solution for your playback device.
  • The size of a 1hr recording depends on the bitrate the source channel broadcasts at. A ballpark average is 5GB/hr for you to estimate how many will fit on your particular storage device.
  • To playback any kind of content you have stored on a HDD, on another TV that is not part of your home network, you will need to use some sort of a media player as a playback device. There are lots of choices, visit the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming forum to start your research and ask questions -- people are asking the same question all the time in that forum so you will have plenty to read about choices.
alan0354 likes this.

- kelson h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page