Please help me upgrade my HDTV computer solution - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please help me upgrade my HDTV computer solution

My HDTV recording/playback midtower system is very long in the tooth. I need to upgrade, at least a motherboard (etc.) upgrade or basically all new components.

I have been running MIT MyHD HDTV PCI card based HDTV systems since 2004 when I bought a new MyHD 120 + daughterboard off ebay from a guy who never installed his but decided to go with the at-the-time new Tivo HD instead.

A few years later I bought a used MyHD 130 + daughterboard off an AVS Forums member and put those in my 1st midtower, moving the 120 cards to my 2nd midtower.

The MyHD cards come with remote controls and IR receivers. This is crucial to my usage patterns.

The great majority of the time I record (timeshifting) using just my 1st midtower system. I only use the 2nd system when I want to record two shows simultaneously (The MyHD cards/software can't record more than one at a time and two cards will not work when installed in the same system). When I make recordings with the 2nd system, I play them on the 1st system (recordings are made to external 2 or 3 TB USB drives, so I just change systems that the external HD is plugged into).
----
My 1st midtower:

Gigabyte GA-K8n Pro motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (socket 754, FSB1600, E6, Venice, 90nm, L2-512KB, 2GHz)
BFG Tech GeForce 6600GT OC 128MB DDR3 AGP Dual DVI Video Card w/TV-Out
3 sticks Crucial 1GB PC3200 400MHz 184-pin DDR Memory - CT12864Z40B, 3 GB
Corsair vx550w PSU
USR Model 2977 PCI hardware modem
Hercules GTXP PCI soundcard + breakout box
Windows XP Pro
ATX case
----
I have some issues:

1. Recurrent lip synch which clears up if I press Rew/FF or maybe pause/play a few times (aggravating, what clears it up is just a crapshoot). I'm told that a different motherboard would likely end this problem.
2. Occasional system lockups requiring a reboot. I think a different motherboard would probably resolve this too.
------------------------------

Those systems are long, very long in the tooth. The 2nd midtower is actually running Windows 2000!

It's been suggested a few times that I move on, buy new components and move away from the MyHD cards, which require not better than Windows 7 32 bit. At the very least I need a new motherboard so I can get beyond the lip synch and crashes. My old motherboard has abysmal SATA support, even writing to a 500GB HD gives worse results than to an external USB HD. Writing to external USB HDs (2TB, 3TB) has been a big problem for me. I've had around 3 of them fail, I could get better ones, but I think writing to internal large capacity SATA HDs is a better idea. For that I need another motherboard, CPU, etc. I have bought a couple of Western Digital Red 3TB internal SATA 5400 RPM HDs anticipating putting them in either my main midtower or one in both midtower systems as part of my upgrade process.

So, here's my question:

Can I get modern components and DVR software (e.g. HDTV capture off antenna, which I'm using now, or maybe subscription at some point) that will allow me to run Windows 10 (would be nice), and support these features:

1. Control playback with a remote control (my preferred viewing position is 8 feet from my computer viewing a projected image on a big white screen that hangs above the computer desk, however I do often instead watch using my 23" desktop display, diverting the video using an AB switch).

2. Allow remote controlled FF/REW preferably with selectable increments (e.g. 10 seconds, 2x 10 seconds, 4x, 8x, etc. something like that). I almost always time shift, want to be able to view an ongoing recording from the beginning or anywhere else and be able to skip commercials effectively. Being able to schedule recordings and come out of suspend to do so and go back into suspend after capture is something I do and want to be able to do with whatever I come up with in this rebuild.

I know there's a lot of hardware/software solutions for HDTV (OTA, etc.). I read a thread where they're talking about Tivo OTA no subscription, which is evidently around $350. That comes with a remote, but I have no idea if it's an ideal solution for me or even a solution at all, all in all.

Thanks for suggestions, explanations, help, links, guidance, etc.!

Last edited by Muse; 12-21-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page