Apple FireWire news: soon, more AV/C support! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 363 Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apple recently released FireWire SDK 16, which has expanded support for AV/C. There's a sample application that allows you to record from D-VHS, and another that allows your Mac to behave like a virtual D-VHS device. Pretty cool stuff.

http://developer.apple.com/firewire/index.html

From the read me:

What's new?

This SDK includes updated system software components and source code, and new and updated FireWire sample code.

This SDK also includes a new project, FireWireMPEG, which creates a framework that supports transmission and reception of MPEG2-TS packets over FireWire conforming to the IEC 61883-4 specification. Two sample applications are included that use the FireWireMPEG.framework.

Also, the pre-release components packages include new API changes in IOFireWireAVC that may be included in the next major release of Mac OS X. These API changes simplify the creation of applications that provide virtual AV/C target functionality, and allow multiple applications that contain AV/C target services to function as a single multi-function virtual AV/C device. Refer to the documentation included with the pre-release of IOFireWireAVC for more details.

Restrictions

This SDK is for developer use only. It may not be redistributed by any means in whole or in part; Customers should not be directed to install the SDK.

Installing the SDK

To install this SDK, you must have Mac OS X and the Developer Tools installed. In the Finder, navigate to the mounted disk titled "FireWire SDK 16" and double-click the "FireWireSDK16.pkg" package.

You can use SDK 16 on Mac OS 10.2.0 and later without installing any additional pieces, however please note that systems that have been updated through the software update service will have headers that are outdated with respect to the installed software. (It is generally the policy of Software Update to not include header files.)

If you intend to use this SDK with the system components already installed on your system, you should install the system software package corresponding to the version of Mac OS X with which you are working. This ensures your header files will match your installed software.

To install (or re-install) the original Mac OS X 10.2.6 FireWire system components, use the "Jaguar_10_2_6_FireWire.pkg" installer package in the "Jaguar 10.2.6 Components" folder.

This SDK includes pre-release, evaluation versions of the Mac OS X FireWire software. We recommend working with these pre-release components. To install them, double-click the "FireWire_PreRelease.pkg" installer package in the "PreRelease Components" folder.

What's in SDK 16?

This SDK contains source code and binary installers for the current (Mac OS X 10.2.6) version of the FireWire system software. A debug package is included. The debug package will print diagnostic information to the system log (/var/log/system.log) that may be useful when writing drivers.

Please note: The sources for AppleLynx and AppleFWOHCI (the FWIMs) are not included and are not available.

Sample code and corresponding pre-built binaries are included in this SDK and will be installed in the standard developer tools install folders. This may overwrite any versions of the tools and sample code you already have installed. The following folders are affected:

/Developer/Examples/IOKit/firewire/
/Developer/Applications/FireWire/
/Developer/Tools/firewire/

The SDK also installs a main SDK folder to /Developer/FireWire SDK 16 for Mac OS X/ that has these main directories:

• "Jaguar 10.2.6 Components" – Installer packages and source code for the FireWire system components for Mac OS X 10.2.6.
• "IOFireWireIP (pre-release)" - Installer packages and source code for a prerelease version of IOFireWireIP (IP1394 support).
• "Documentation" – Basic documentation for components in this SDK. (PDFs, diagrams, and HeaderDoc generated HTML)
• "Examples" - Sample code (link to /Developer/Examples/IOKit/firewire)
• "Tools" - Pre-built command line tools (link to /Developer/Tools/fw)
• "Links" - Links to useful web pages.

This is the SDK starting point.

SDK 16 includes source code for most of the Mac OS X FireWire software stack.

The FireWire software stack includes the following main components:

• General FireWire family services
• SBP-2 services (both in-kernel and user space)
• AV/C services (both in-kernel and user space)
• A DV device driver
• A device driver for IP (Internet Protocol) over FireWire

About SBP-2

There are SBP-2 services in the kernel and in user space. The SBP-2 "user client" provides access to the SBP-2 services from user space.

This SDK includes SBP-2 sample code. You can write an application to drive SBP-2 devices, such as printers, scanners, and still cameras with this sample code. You could also write PPDT (IEEE 1394.3) software using the SBP-2 services. Full source code for the SBP-2 stack is included, as noted above. If your device uses a SCSI command set over SBP-2, you should investigate the SCSITask User Client (located in IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext) instead of the SBP-2 user client. It provides a much higher level interface for working with SCSI architecture model devices from user space.

About the DV driver

The DV driver is a user-space QuickTime component. This SDK includes the DV driver source code and sample code for test applications that transmit and receive DV. Also included is a QuickTime video digitizer component (vdig) that enables full use of the Sequence Grabber, a sample application to test it, and a simple application to output DV. DV API documentation is included.

About the sample code and applications

The following is a summary of the included example projects. Each project includes a more detailed readme file. Please consult the project readme file for details on that project or application

DamBusters - Configuration ROM browser application. (The source for this application is not included.)
FireLog - High speed logging tool, designed to be able to keep up with FireWire's packet rate.
FWLib – Set of source files containing objects that developers can use to apply Mac OS X FireWire technologies quickly.
FWSampleProject HP (Hot Plug)– A user space driver and application combination that demonstrates how to dynamically discover and open user space drivers for FireWire devices.
FWUtil – General purpose command-line test tool.
IOFireWireLibBasics – Simple configuration ROM reader sample code.
IOFireWireLibIsochTest – Simple isochronous transmit program.
IOFireWireLibPacketQueueTest – Simple packet receiver sample code.
IOFireWireLibVersionTest – Demonstrates how to obtain the version number of the installed FireWire user client.
IsocTest – Sample DV input and output sample code. (DV developers should use standard QuickTime APIs to access DV, but the command-line programs may be useful to study how the lower levels work.)
Mr. Registry - IORegistry exploration application
Notifier – Shows how to receive notifications about FireWire events, such as devices being added to the bus.
QTComponents – Simple Cocoa application for browsing installed QuickTime components
ResetStorm - FireWire bus reset stress testing application
SBP2SampleProject and SBP2Sample-SingleThread - User-space SBP-2 device driver and application sample code.
Transcalent – Sample peer-to-peer protocol application and source code.
FireWireMPEG – Source code to build the FireWireMPEG.framework which supports IEC 61883-4 transmission and reception of MPEG2-TS packets over firewire.
DVHSCap – Sample application that uses the FireWireMPEG.framework to import and export streams from DVHS devices.
VirtualDVHS – An example application that uses the FireWireMPEG.framework, and the new IOFireWireAVC APIs to allow the Mac to emulate a DVHS device.

[end]
May 14, 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 363 Old 06-11-2003, 07:48 PM

I just pulled it and tried it with my G4 PowerBook and a SIR-T165 AND IT WORKS!
post #3 of 363 Old 06-11-2003, 10:32 PM

Sound like the Apple 1U server might turn into a nice HTPC platform.

post #4 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 08:00 AM

It doesn't seem to say anything about Macs supporting HDTV singles and more then it did before.

How did you hook it to your powermac?
Though what connections?
post #5 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 08:23 AM

I spend some of my time doing Macintosh development (I did the algorithms for a Mac display calibrator called "SuperCal") so I'm pretty familiar with the development tools, but you don't need to be to make this work.

If you go to the link above you can pull an early release of new FireWire functionality which you can install on your OS X machine. It installs within the "Developer" folder where the freely available development tools live, but you don't need to compile anything to make this work. There are "PreRelease Components" that need to be installed, but after that, you can run an example application (source code provided) called "VirtualDVHS" which behaves, as you might expect, like a DVHS deck.

When you connect an SIR-T165 OTA tuner up to the mac via FireWire, if the application is running, it believes it is connected to a DVHS deck, and the controls on the tuner more-or-less can operate it. There is a very simple interface on the software to control things also (it is, after all, just an example of how to use the new system functionality) to record and play and show lists of stored streams.

The application stores .m2t files, which when played back via the test application are decoded on the the SIR-T165 -- HD video and DD audio. These files can also be played in software on the Mac by using a freely available MPEG player "VLC" (although on my PowerBook connected to a 1920x1200 external display it cannot keep up with decoding high definition -- standard definition works OK). If I could convert the transport stream into a file format that would play through the optional QuickTime MPEG 2 player, it might do better because this player might be able to take better advantage of the graphics hardware on the machine.

It is all very rudimentary right now, but a very big HTPC step for people with a Macintosh computer. The World Wide Developer Conference is coming up in a couple of weeks and the next version of system software (10.3) will be shown, most likely with this capability incorporated at least at the system level.

robert
post #6 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 08:51 AM

What would be really great is if we could use the Apple DVD player software to play MPEG2 files. The DVD player has access to the videocard hardware and can use it to accelerate playback.

Unfortunately I don't think Apple / ATI / NVidia has ever released info to hardware developers to allow them access to direct features of the video hardware.

I have taken PC transport stream files and converted them to MPEG2 files on my PC and then been able to play them using the Apple Quicktime player but its performance was no better than VLCs. Also, the Quicktime player cannot playback AC-3 sound which VLC can.
post #7 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 09:05 AM

You can open a VIDEO_TS folder in the Apple DVD player, but I have no idea as to how to take apart a .m2t captured stream and turn it into what is necessary to make a VIDEO_TS folder (nor do I know how to do the opposite, which would also be interesting because you might be able to stream the DVD data over to the SIR-T165 and have it decode and scale while remaining in the digital domain)
post #8 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 09:15 AM

I really tried to get the Apple DVD Player to work with mpeg2 files but I never could get it to work.
post #9 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 04:51 PM

I'd be very interested to know if this "VirtualDVHS" tool will record directly from the new JVC HD1 camera.

Could somebody out there try it please?

Thanks

Paul
post #10 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 05:20 PM

There are two sample applications in the FireWire SDK that support transmission/reception of MPEG over FireWire, VirtualDVHS and DVHSCap.

For simple import/export of streams from the JVC HD1 camcorder, DVHS decks, or MicroMV camcorders you should use the DVHSCap tool, not the VirtualDVHS tool.

It is possible to use the VirtualDVHS tool to do this, but, if you do, it will only work if you set the input/output channel to 63 which is the default channel the camera uses. The DVHSCap tool, on the other hand, uses connection management protocol (CMP) to tell the camera what channel to transmit/receive on.

Also, the DVHSCap will work on any Mac running 10.2.x without the need for installing the pre-release FireWire components. VirtualDVHS, on the other hand, uses new system APIs that don't exist in current shipping version of the OS, and therefore requires the pre-release FireWire components package be installed first.

Andy :)
post #11 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ayanowitz
For simple import/export of streams from the JVC HD1 camcorder, ... you should use the DVHSCap tool, not the VirtualDVHS tool.
Andy :) [/b]

When you referred to the JVC HD1 camcorder, were you referring to the new GR-HD1 camcorder? I thought that that camcorder recorded HD in some proprietary format that no one else is using. It would be very cool if you could import your HD footage straight into FCP
post #12 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

For those trying to get the files to play, you should first try within QuickTime player, but, what definitly works is to use the VLC Mac OS X Client. That plays the HDTV .TS streams I've found. You'll need to check with the various muxers for the other file formats, but, VLC will probably play them, and I think QT 6.3 update gives you that functionality also.

erik g
post #13 of 363 Old 06-12-2003, 09:09 PM

From the "About" file:

This appication has been tested with the following ATSC devices:

Mitsubishi 2002, and 2003 model year TVs with HDTV integrated tuner and FireWire. These TVs have an integrated AV/C tape controller that will recgonize the Mac as a DVHS device and allow the TV to control the Mac.

Samsung SIR-T165 ATSC Tuner set-top box. This device has an integrated AV/C tape controller that will recgonize the Mac as a DVHS device and allow the set-top box to control the Mac.

Sony 2002 XBR-34 HDTV - No TV-hosted controllers, but the application's player can stream to the TV over FireWire.

Mitsubishi HD-2000U DVHS VCR - Stream to/from the device using the application's UI to control both the player/recorder and the external D-VHS deck.

JVC HM-DH30000U DVHS VCR - Stream to/from the device using the application's UI to control both the player/recorder and the external D-VHS deck.

JVC GR-HD1 720p Camcorder - With the camera in MPEG2 mode, stream to/from the device using the application's UI to control both the player/recorder and the camera.

Sony MicroMV Camcorders - Stream to/from the device using the application's UI to control both the player/recorder and the camera.
post #14 of 363 Old 06-13-2003, 03:22 AM

Which app does the above info apply to?
post #15 of 363 Old 06-13-2003, 09:15 AM

VirtualDVHS
post #16 of 363 Old 06-13-2003, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it works! I was playing with the DVHSCap app last night and did some captures from my JVC HM-DH30000U DVHS, and it worked no problems, just playing back on my PowerBook G4 800MHz was a bit problematic.
Now we just need an application that can edit the streams. I had talked to the QuickTime crew at the last MacWorld SF and they said playback was on the 'to do" list (probaly an update to the MPEG-2 component), but, since most applications are made to edit for production, not for transport streams. But, since they list the JVC HD cam that only outputs transport streams it looks like that capability will soon be in Final Cut Pro.
So anyone pulling off streams from there Samsung HD tuner?

erik g
post #17 of 363 Old 06-13-2003, 04:34 PM

Yes recording and playback through the Sir-T165 works just fine.
post #18 of 363 Old 06-13-2003, 07:56 PM

I tried to Panasonic D-VHS and I can capture from D-VHS but when I record to D-VHS my G4 locks up and I press the restart button. The VCR goes into record mode until I reboot and whats recorded is blank. Virtual DVHS crashes as soon a I open the application. I tried the TU-DST50 the G4 does not recognize it at all. I may try my DST51. This is interesting that apple is finally starting to develop
some AV support.
post #19 of 363 Old 06-13-2003, 09:06 PM

We shouldn't turn this into a debugging thread for prerelease software, but I'll say that I'm pretty surprised that a different connected device would cause the computer to lock up -- it's pretty hard to lock up under OS X. I would make sure that your system is all the way up to date with 10.2.6 and that you have installed the prerelease components (FireWire_PreRelease.pkg).

Of course, it *is* all prerelease, so crashes shouldn't be unexpected. I've thrown what I could at it and never had even the application misbehave, much less have it crash, or the whole have computer hang. I've recorded from many of the local channels, and for as long as 30 minutes.

I agree that it is great to see Apple taking advantage of the technologies they've had for so long.

robert
post #20 of 363 Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 AM

As for trying to debug this I was only stating a fact in relation to my system and I realize this is prerelease software and glitches are likely. I have an early G4 with a pci video card instead of agp. There are some hardware and software issues that Apple does not address in OSX. Two big issues IDVD will not install much less run and my DVD-Ram drive does not work in X.
post #21 of 363 Old 06-14-2003, 09:17 AM

"cjmv50": I wasn't picking on you -- I'll help whatever way I can, I just thought that for the audience at large here in the AVS forum it would be better to keep the thread up at at high level and discuss what this might mean for future Apple support for HDTV in their "DIgital Hub" strategy.
post #22 of 363 Old 06-15-2003, 01:15 AM

Finally!!! Something to discuss about Apple and HDTV. I've been waiting for this for a while...

Was interested in the JVC GR-HD1 but I'm going to wait for something better. I may get an SIRT-165 depending on what new capabilities we have with DVHSCap.

There is also a thread going on here:http://www.htmug.com/phpBB2/index.php
post #23 of 363 Old 06-15-2003, 02:45 PM

Hi

I'm impressed with the examples in the SDK
and I have a question.

There is a button in Preferences panel that
allows you to choose between a MAX Bitrate
of 24.064 and 36.096 Mbps.

I've never heard these numbers before.

Can anyone explain the proper use of this
button and also how these bitrates were
derived? I'm curious.

Thanks

ST
post #24 of 363 Old 06-15-2003, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
24.064 and 36.096 Mbps are the MPEG-2 bitrates that
match the 1394 isochronous rate if no empty packets
are sent.

188 bytes * 8000 isochronous packets / sec * 2 = 24.064 Mbps
188 bytes * 8000 isochronous packets / sec * 3 = 36.096 Mbps

To avoid sending empty packets (and the extra calculations
required), it's possible that they are just stuffing the
Transport Stream up to these rates.

If you never use streams above 24.064 Mbps, then selecting
this value will make life a little easier for any
receiver and create smaller files if being captured.

Ron

HD MPEG-2 Test Patterns http://www.w6rz.net
post #25 of 363 Old 06-15-2003, 03:45 PM

So it improves performance on slower machines
if the program knows that isochronous packets will
always contain only 2 Tranport Stream (data) packets.

In this case I assume that Transport Stream NULL
packets ( 0x1fff) are considered data packets.

I would expect that the file sizes would be identical
regardless of this setting because any empty
firewire packets would not be captured.

Is that your understanding (dr1394)?

(I haven't tested this)

ST
post #26 of 363 Old 06-15-2003, 07:43 PM

The FireWireMPEG.framework does not stuff additional packets into the transport stream when transmitting over the bus. It will send CIP-only isochronous packets (isoch packets with no MPEG TS packets) as needed to maintain accurate data-rate control based on analyzing the PCRs in the packet stream it consumes.

However, when the transmitter does send MPEG TS packets in any given isoch cycle, it always sends exactly a fixed number of MPEG TS packets, for a given instance of the MPEGTransmitter object in an application. This fixed value is set via a parameter of the constructor for the MPEGTransmitter class.

Setting this value to 2 results in a maximum bit-rate of 24.064 Mbps for the transmitter, while setting this value to 3 results in maximum bit-rate of 36.096 Mbps. The value can be set even higher to reach higher maximum bit-rates as needed.

The disadvantage of setting this value higher are as follows:

1) The amount of physical memory allocated by the transmitter for the transmit DMA program increases. All DMA packet buffers (which are locked-down physical memory segments) must be larger to accommodate the extra MPEG TS packets.

2) The FireWire bus bandwidth that is needed to be allocated for the stream is based on the maximum packet size for that stream. Higher numbers result in wasted bandwidth-allocation on the FireWire bus when transmitting lower bit-rate streams, possibly limiting the number of simultaneous streams that the FireWire bus could handle.

The VirtualDVHS application has an option in its preferences dialog for setting this value to either 2 or 3 (24.064 or 36.096).

The DVHSCap application has this value hard-coded to 3.

A value of 3 should work with most devices.

-- fw
post #27 of 363 Old 06-15-2003, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What's the best compatible option for DHVS recording of OTA, playback of DVHS, Mac Virtual DVHS recording?

Info: I have a HiPix for OTA recording already and am leaning toward whatever is the equivalent is of the SIRT-165 + DVHS deck in a single unit. However, I want to be able to record from/to DVHS as well as be able to record OTA on my Mac.

Thanks.

Dual 500 G4 likely to be upgraded this Fall. Also PBG4 12".
post #28 of 363 Old 06-16-2003, 05:28 AM

I'm interested in doing something like that too. I would rather wait for blue-laser HD-DVD's for storage instead of D-VHS tapes.

In the meantime the SIRT-165 seems interesting though... May work well for getting SD and HD into the mac as well as playing video through it from a mac to an HDTV. Here are some possibilities that come to mind:

*Please correct me if any of these are not possible:

1. The SIRT-165 has S-Video inputs so you can capture SD sources (VHS, cable, etc.) using DVHSCap and SIRT-165.

2. Capture OTA HD using DVHSCap and SIRT-165.

3. Playback captured streams from mac to HDTV using DVHSCap and SIRT-165. This may be a better solution to play HD streams from a mac to an HDTV instead of going from a DVI graphics card and DVI hub or splitter.

This way you don't have to worry about trying to match your desktop to your HDTV's native resolution (in my case 720p). Shouldn't have to worry about overscan/underscan or aspect ratios either.

Now if we could just be able to play ANY video file (like .ts or .VOB files) through something like VLC but have an app like DVHSCap stream it through FireWire to the SIRT-165 which would then scale it to your HDTV's native resolution and output it through DVI or component to your HDTV.
post #29 of 363 Old 06-16-2003, 08:42 AM

jahlion :

You can't do number 1 on you list, because the SIR-T165 doesn't have an MPEG encoder to encode analog video into MPEG streams.

For 2 and 3 I think VirtualDVHS is the app for the job.

As for your last paragraph, VLC will play the .m2t files completely on the Mac with no hardware, but I don't have powerful enough Mac hardware to keep up with HD (and there may not be hardware that capable [yet]).

You can use VLC to say, take a DVD in and create a .ts file out, but I can't figure out a way to get that data into a format that can then be played through the SIR-T165 (that process might not make sense anyway -- I don't know if the T165 can decode arbitrary-size MPEG streams)
post #30 of 363 Old 06-16-2003, 04:05 PM

I wonder if the SIRT-165 can even output the upconverted video from the analog inputs over FireWire. How does the SIRT-165 scale the analog inputs? Does it convert the analog to digital then scale for output to DVI at native res. (or FireWire hopefully). I have a DV converter which just takes analog S-Video or RCA and converts it to digital for capture over FireWire (I use Final Cut Pro). I have to MPEG2 encode it later for DVD. Could the SIRT-165 just act like a converter if it could output the upconverted video over FireWire?
Closed Thread HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page